How Do We Get "In The Spirit"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It happened because we kept our hands off things and allowed the Holy Spirit to control what went on and as a result whether you wanted a dose of the Spirit or not you got it.
I so agree with all you post Marksman, but this bit reminded me of a picture I had in my spirit one time. I saw the church I was in like a ship and that the hands of the then pastor were steering it which I thought was good until God showed me it should be His hands on the wheel. I plucked up the courage to mention this to the pastor but he ignored it and was gone within months.

I ask myself if I had a natural father when I came home at night, would I sit in a different room to him? When a meal was served, would I sit at a different table to him? If we went out to a restaurant for a meal would I sit on the other side of the restaurant? If we went to a ball game, would I sit on the other side of the stadium to him?
One night as I was sitting on my sofa reading my book just out of the blue I got the vivid impression that if I looked up I would see God sitting on the other sofa. I did look up and felt God speak into my spirit telling me he wanted to live with me, be a part of all my life and keep his slippers in my hall. It was an eye opener and made me realise that God does want to be there with us at all times and I want to be with Him.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to accept the gifts of the Spirit and use the gift of tongues in your personal prayer life if you already don't. And if you do perhaps for longer periods. God doesn't bestow all of us with the same spiritual gifts but he does bestow the gift of tongues to all of us and through using that gift it will open the way for God to use you in whichever way he chooses. We don't get to choose.

He doesn't give to all to speak in tongues. I have never spoken in tongues and I've walked with God for about 13 years. Lord knows, I don't want another thread to devolve into a stupid tongues debate, but no, He doesn't give all this gift.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not under any circumstances believe that the gifts of the Spirit are not of God. If they are not of God then they cannot be the gifts of the Spirit. The person who is putting that about on here is totally and completely wrong. He is the one that is not of God. Not you or the gifts of the Spirit. The scripture says to earnestly desire the best gifts (more important) so you can desire any gift you want.

I became uncertain about it when I read that various people said it wasn't from God. I prayed and asked Him to show me and I expect that He will at some point.

I didn't realize that Scripture said to earnestly desire the best gifts. I took a few online tests to try to determine my gifts and I consistently got "discernment." I never learned how to use it for the church so I'm waiting for God to show me that too. I'm waiting on a few things from God.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I became uncertain about it when I read that various people said it wasn't from God. I prayed and asked Him to show me and I expect that He will at some point.

I didn't realize that Scripture said to earnestly desire the best gifts. I took a few online tests to try to determine my gifts and I consistently got "discernment." I never learned how to use it for the church so I'm waiting for God to show me that too. I'm waiting on a few things from God.
Sad to say your church is not doing its job which is to ensure that everyone knows what the nine gifts of the Spirit are and how to recognize and use them.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I so agree with all you post Marksman, but this bit reminded me of a picture I had in my spirit one time. I saw the church I was in like a ship and that the hands of the then pastor were steering it which I thought was good until God showed me it should be His hands on the wheel. I plucked up the courage to mention this to the pastor but he ignored it and was gone within months.

One night as I was sitting on my sofa reading my book just out of the blue I got the vivid impression that if I looked up I would see God sitting on the other sofa. I did look up and felt God speak into my spirit telling me he wanted to live with me, be a part of all my life and keep his slippers in my hall. It was an eye opener and made me realise that God does want to be there with us at all times and I want to be with Him.

Good on you Pearl. That is the way to go.

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This same thing happened with me. I was sitting in a chair in my room, and I looked up almost expecting to see Jesus sitting on my bed. but it was like He was. I felt foolish, but I felt real, and said, "Hi Jesus!" and as if He spoke right back to me, He said to me, "Let's go have some adventures!" He wasn't kidding.

For me the very best, really, the one way, for me to avoid sinning, is to realize that God is here with me, that He loves me, and that He's here to help me, and provide for me, and that He's promised to carry me safely home to Him. And my reliance is on Him and not me, and that is faith that overcomes.

I've been learning what keeps me from recognizing His presence. I believe that being born again, I am God's spirit child, and my new nature is the same as God's nature, and is in communion with Him, always.

My experience of life can easily become defined by my experience of this world, since I sense through this body. When I'm not experiencing God's presence with me, this means to me not that He's not here, but that I've stopped seeing with my faith, and have gone back to seeing with my eyes.

Something of the flesh, or of the world, or what have you, distracted me, took my eyes off of Jesus and onto the waves, and I sink into "according to the flesh", as if I were not regenerate, not walking in faith, always being sin, the fleshy life. And as soon as I recognize what's happened, and get my eyes back on Jesus, I'm back into faith.

What I've found that tends to prevent me from getting my focus back onto God, and His place in my life, are the fallout of sin, either feelings of condemnation, or of hopelessness. Condemnation in feeling like I've failed. Hopelessness in feeling like I'll never change.

But God's promise is that He'll never leave me or forsake me. That means that while I am committing the sins that leave me feeling so rejected and alone, and after, the whole while, God is with me in love for me as He always is.

Much love!
Mark

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This same thing happened with me. I was sitting in a chair in my room, and I looked up almost expecting to see Jesus sitting on my bed. but it was like He was. I felt foolish, but I felt real, and said, "Hi Jesus!" and as if He spoke right back to me, He said to me, "Let's go have some adventures!" He wasn't kidding.

For me the very best, really, the one way, for me to avoid sinning, is to realize that God is here with me, that He loves me, and that He's here to help me, and provide for me, and that He's promised to carry me safely home to Him. And my reliance is on Him and not me, and that is faith that overcomes.

I've been learning what keeps me from recognizing His presence. I believe that being born again, I am God's spirit child, and my new nature is the same as God's nature, and is in communion with Him, always.

My experience of life can easily become defined by my experience of this world, since I sense through this body. When I'm not experiencing God's presence with me, this means to me not that He's not here, but that I've stopped seeing with my faith, and have gone back to seeing with my eyes.

Something of the flesh, or of the world, or what have you, distracted me, took my eyes off of Jesus and onto the waves, and I sink into "according to the flesh", as if I were not regenerate, not walking in faith, always being sin, the fleshy life. And as soon as I recognize what's happened, and get my eyes back on Jesus, I'm back into faith.

What I've found that tends to prevent me from getting my focus back onto God, and His place in my life, are the fallout of sin, either feelings of condemnation, or of hopelessness. Condemnation in feeling like I've failed. Hopelessness in feeling like I'll never change.

But God's promise is that He'll never leave me or forsake me. That means that while I am committing the sins that leave me feeling so rejected and alone, and after, the whole while, God is with me in love for me as He always is.

Much love!
Mark
Awesome.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't read the other posts yet...just the OP I will go back and read the rest now.

But "for me" the question is not "How do we get into the Spirit" ...but "How do we stay in the Spirit!! "

“Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name..."

Our problem is we don't stay in.

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High...."

"Abide in Me..."

Isn't that the Truth!!!! That is the greatest struggle Helen.

This thread is so edifying and uplifting to abide in the Spirit. Amen. I am so grateful for who God is.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't read the other posts yet...just the OP I will go back and read the rest now.

But "for me" the question is not "How do we get into the Spirit" ...but "How do we stay in the Spirit!! "

“Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name..."

Our problem is we don't stay in.

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High...."

"Abide in Me..."

In that verse, he that overcometh...overcometh what?

The world, the flesh and devil.

It doesn't sound like it could be this simple, but it is: how do we overcome the world, the flesh and the devil?

Isn't it by trust?

We always seem to be looking for an answer we already have.

Exercises of trust. Growing in trust.

Here's an exercise...we know the verse says a man makes his plans but it is God who guides his steps. So why do we get upset when something has not gone as we planned? Why do we get so cranky? If we truly trusted that He guides our steps, there would be no upset. So...it is a lack of trust.

I think we are the church spoken of in Revelation that has little strength, but we have not denied Him.

I think we need to help build up each others trust. Radical and unflappable trust is the answer. And the way we help each other is by building each other up in our trust.

So, let's help to exercise each other in our trust. Its the way to overcome. Its walking in the Spirit.

Yes, it sounds too simple to be true, but there it is.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sad to say your church is not doing its job which is to ensure that everyone knows what the nine gifts of the Spirit are and how to recognize and use them.

I have not been exposed to teaching about the gifts. I was prevented from attending church for a few years so I likely missed any such teaching.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Much love!
Mark

It is so good to read things like this. We have wrapped God up in cotton wool and made an idol of him but what he really wants is to have fun with us.

AFTER ALL, HE IS A DAD!!

Sad to say, whilst reverence will come if there is a move of the Spirit, the day to day things are more personal. We need to open the door to more of him in our lives so that he can bless us abundantly.

After all, who wouldn't if they owned everything.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Mark

I have had feelings like that too - times when I knew Christ was in my room; He felt so close.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have not been exposed to teaching about the gifts. I was prevented from attending church for a few years so I likely missed any such teaching.

Gifts of the Spirit: Understanding and Receiving God's Supernatural Power in Your Life by Derek Prince is a good place to start if you want to read up on it.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gifts of the Spirit: Understanding and Receiving God's Supernatural Power in Your Life by Derek Prince is a good place to start if you want to read up on it.

I've read Derek Prince and watched a few of his videos. A woman who used to teach bible study told me I have the gift of discernment. I never used it for the good of the church and have been wondering of late if it was time to do more. God has been opening up Revelations to me but I'll keep that book in mind. Derek Prince was close with Pastor Don Basham who I liked - I had a book written by him.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In that verse, he that overcometh...overcometh what?

The world, the flesh and devil.

It doesn't sound like it could be this simple, but it is: how do we overcome the world, the flesh and the devil?

Isn't it by trust?

We always seem to be looking for an answer we already have.

Exercises of trust. Growing in trust.

Here's an exercise...we know the verse says a man makes his plans but it is God who guides his steps. So why do we get upset when something has not gone as we planned? Why do we get so cranky? If we truly trusted that He guides our steps, there would be no upset. So...it is a lack of trust.

I think we are the church spoken of in Revelation that has little strength, but we have not denied Him.

I think we need to help build up each others trust. Radical and unflappable trust is the answer. And the way we help each other is by building each other up in our trust.

So, let's help to exercise each other in our trust. Its the way to overcome. Its walking in the Spirit.

Yes, it sounds too simple to be true, but there it is.
I read your post and I have to laugh, because it's so true, those daily exercises in trust.

IF God is good, and He is,
If God is all wise, and He is,
All powerful, and He is,
All knowing, all loving, loves me! And He does,

And given that the Bible states that since God already gave to us Jesus, He'll give us everything else also.

The reason I laugh is you've hit the nail on the thumb, that's the daily exercise in faith, the pain and frustration and desire and anger and (it gets darker, why name them?), all the things that we find in any given day that are contrary to us.

Everything we have that we don't want, and everything that we want that we don't have, aside from in the Lord, these are the tests we overcome with faith, that faith being the certain knowledge that God is even at this moment, in some manner or form, in the process of giving me everything.

At the least, everything I'm able to receive at the moment.

Can we have the trust in God to see His will in the circumstances of our lives?

Let's say . . . I'm diagnosed with the dread disease. I'm suddenly unemployed. Fill in the blank with whatever rattles you.

Do I understand that God is in control of my life, and that if something is happening with me that God is still in control, therefore, He is doing/allowing for a reason?

And that His reason is good? Because He loves me?

Every thought in my mind that does not reflect trust in God in all ways, that does not show love for God and others, that does not cling immediately to His ways, anxiety, those are thoughts from the mind of the flesh and can be outright rejected in the knowledge that God loves me.

Every single lousy thing in my life is there specifically because God wants me to arrive a some certain destination, that way of escape out of the temptation, that increase to my faith, that bringing out the fruit of the Spirit.

How do we get in the Spirit? Look to God when the world pulls at us, the flesh pushing, everything contrary, it practically drives us into our Savior's arms, just go with it, it's what God is doing after all.

Y'all know I'm preaching to myself for the most part here! :)

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is so good to read things like this. We have wrapped God up in cotton wool and made an idol of him but what he really wants is to have fun with us.

AFTER ALL, HE IS A DAD!!

Sad to say, whilst reverence will come if there is a move of the Spirit, the day to day things are more personal. We need to open the door to more of him in our lives so that he can bless us abundantly.

After all, who wouldn't if they owned everything.
Hi marksman,

The Perfect Father, in every respect! Everything a father should be.

I remember having a great time throwing my son into the air. He sure seemed to like it! I think God has His version of that with us!

I love to remember places like, He will joy over thee with singing! Zeph 3:17

Our Father sings over His people! Mal 3:17 or so, His "precious jewels", special treasure.

To become a child, a child of our Heavenly Father.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: marksman and Pearl