How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
God spoke through prophets until the Apostles (prophets) passed into glory. But we have them and their words in scripture. This is how God speaks. I do not think it is healthy to try to hear voices in our heads thinking it is God. The idea is to control our thoughts and imaginations making them conform to scripture. How many drive themselves crazy thinking God speaks audibly to them?
'Thy word is truth' (John 17.17'; 'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path' (Psalm 119.105).

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

With many folk... I wonder... Along with the Apostle Paul....

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve. - Acts 19
All New Covenant believers have the baptism of the Holy Spirit. John's disciples were Old Covenant believers, born again only, who entered the New Covenant and also received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God spoke through prophets until the Apostles (prophets) passed into glory. But we have them and their words in scripture. This is how God speaks. I do not think it is healthy to try to hear voices in our heads thinking it is God. The idea is to control our thoughts and imaginations making them conform to scripture. How many drive themselves crazy thinking God speaks audibly to them?
Do you have a specific bible-reading plan? What about a devotional? I was thinking of getting my children a daily devotional. I heard of Spurgeon's years ago but don't know what it's like. I leaned towards the old-time writers since they had a good grasp on spiritual things. I think I'm looking for something to "Renew the Mind" which will then put us in the best place to hear from God.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All New Covenant believers have the baptism of the Holy Spirit. John's disciples were Old Covenant believers, born again only, who entered the New Covenant and also received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

If so... The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. -Galatians 5:22-23

Some people have the strangest love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, etc.

I would say some people have the strangest Spirit of God.... But... The Spirit of God is not strange! They are in the flesh!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If so... The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. -Galatians 5:22-23

Some people have the strangest love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, etc.

I would say some people have the strangest Spirit of God.... But... The Spirit of God is not strange! They are in the flesh!

In the videos of our church service you can sense the Holy Spirit, along with the fruits, in service.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Psssst. Don't tell people you hear "God" speaking to you in your head.
I will rather that some may actually listen,, Just because you dont believe shouldnt stop others from believing.

But such are the religious always keeping Gods children from God

D

Dave L

I will rather that some may actually listen,, Just because you dont believe shouldnt stop others from believing.

But such are the religious always keeping Gods children from God

God does not speak as you say. Hearing voices in your head does not reflect sound mental health.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not speak as you say. Hearing voices in your head does not reflect sound mental health.

I worry that you are concluding that the Holy Spirit is flesh.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Than one could say, yopu not hearing from God says much for the health of your belief, If you are not hearing from God than whio is it your are listening to.. You are a pator arnt you, afraid to loose your sheep too Christ, isnt that your Job to lead them to Him, or is it to keep them away like the pharisees..

Mar_9:7 And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

should not that be cause to listen

or

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

well its in the bible .

As I said if not His voice you are listening too only leaves tow others, you own and well, the bad man.

D

Dave L

Than one could say, yopu not hearing from God says much for the health of your belief, If you are not hearing from God than whio is it your are listening to.. You are a pator arnt you, afraid to loose your sheep too Christ, isnt that your Job to lead them to Him, or is it to keep them away like the pharisees..

Mar_9:7 And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

should not that be cause to listen

or

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

well its in the bible .

As I said if not His voice you are listening too only leaves tow others, you own and well, the bad man.
Jesus is the Word of God. We hear Jesus through scripture. If you are hearing voices in your head, thinking it is God, you need to spend more time in the bible where God actually speaks to us.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, just saying voices in head = not of sound mind.

It has been said that the devil and the flesh are so akin that it is hard to discern the two. If the voices are not of God than it can be of the flesh. The Holy Spirit, though, blesses through the heart. And through the Spirit things are revealed to the mind.

D

Dave L

It has been said that the devil and the flesh are so akin that it is hard to discern the two. If the voices are not of God than it can be of the flesh. The Holy Spirit, though, blesses through the heart. And through the Spirit things are revealed to the mind.
Read your bible and then you'll hear God speak. Or drive yourself crazy chasing after voices in your head.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the Word of God. We hear Jesus through scripture. If you are hearing voices in your head, thinking it is God, you need to spend more time in the bible where God actually speaks to us.

If a man is not right spiritually the word of a God will not bless mentally. And there is a danger of recreating old dead religious orders, such as we had in the Pharisees.

D

Dave L

If a man is not right spiritually the word of a God will not bless mentally. And there is a danger of recreating old dead religious orders, such as we had in the Pharisees.
But add voices in your head to this and you are in even worse shape.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He actually talks to men who listen, Just for some reason people dont want to hear, especially religious people who long to Keep little children from Him'

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

things havnt changed

Mat_19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

but the religious do this

Mat 19:13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

and again

Mar_7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

again

Mat_13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

and again

Heb_4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

but so many refuse to listen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's hard to tell if that was just meant for Elijah or it was a type to show us.

You named a Scripture that speaks to this: "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." That implies that they heard from the holy ghost. But how? There must be a path to get in tune with God's voice. Hasn't anyone found it? I'm a little frustrated because I have two important decisions to make, and I want to find a solid resource to help guide my children. I've had those times of peace before but I don't have it now. I really want God to guide me in upcoming decisions.
"Be still and know that I AM"

Reactions: Soverign Grace

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Be still and know that I AM"

Probably a bit like the little Tug trying to pull a large tanker around a corner, but the captain of the tanker wont cut his engines, thinks he is in charge, so goes straight and crashes.

Reactions: Helen
B

Butterfly

But add voices in your head to this and you are in even worse shape.
I have been reading this thread, you obviously have very strong views- so I doubt this will make the slightest bit of difference. The is a big difference between ' hearing ' God speak to you through the Holy Spirit within and ' hearing voices ' in your head. When Gods speaks there is a knowing deep within you, it's hard to explain but it's not really in your mind , and you just know. Many times you do get that when you are reading scripture- when the Holy Spirit speaks personally through a verse , or reveals a deeper meaning to a verse. However it happens at other times as well. I gather you do not believe in the Holy Spirit giving people pictures, visions ect,
I have experienced quite a few, or I ' feel words ' ( hard to explain ) I can assure you that I am not mentally unwell.
I use to be part of church that felt the same way as you, and if that is all you want to experience then God will work with that, he doesn't force things on you. The church members use to equally believe you were mad if you had a ' word ' from the Lord. If you have never recieved from the Holy Spirit in this way then you are bound to disagree- but it doesn't mean that it's an issue of who is right and who is wrong.
Why is it so impossible to embrace that God can communicate in different ways if he chooses to. There are seasons for things.
I doubt you will agree, because the christian friends in my old church still think they are the only ones that are right about it all !!
Rita

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been searching on Amazon for a book to help my adult children hear from God. I've experienced uncanny times when I've woken up in the middle of the night and knew God wanted me to pray, and another time bumped into a Christian neighbor who recommended a book that was exactly what I needed. But other times I feel I'm looking to God and get no clear leading when I have an important decision to make.

Can others share how they hear from God? Do you fast? Keep a prayer journal? Meditate? I usually like the old-time writers because they seemed to have a better grasp of Scripture but I haven't found one yet about hearing from God. I was reading some of the comments below some current books on hearing from God on Amazon and was concerned because some people remarked about the unscriptural practices recommended in the books even written by pastors. Has anyone here read any good books on discernment and how to hear from God that are Scriptural? I think we're living in an unprecedented era of evil and even many churches have turned worldly. It's hard finding quality teaching that holds fast to Scripture but God does give some people the gift of teaching. It's just really hard to sort through all the books to find those that are scripturally accurate.

I too like the old-time writers. A good book that has benefited me over the years is by Andrew Murray called "The Spirit of Christ". Though it is not specific to your subject, it does address it throughout the book. In fact, any books you can get by Andrew Murray I would recommend.

As to a more recent book that is more specific to your question, I would recommend the book by Jack Deere called "Surprised by the Power of the Spirit, By the Voice of God." It is two volumes in one.

Another book by an older writer, that I have enjoyed, is "Yes I am" by Norman Grubb. It is a good book and I think addresses many of your interests. And just as with Murray, any of his books are good.

Stranger