How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

That's a good analogy. I think we can hone those skills - I don't know how though. Maybe reading Scripture is the best way but there are times when we need extra guidance.
I wish I knew then what I know now. If there is one thing I could do over it would be to saturate myself with God's word as a youngster. But it doesn't seem to work out that way in most cases.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been searching on Amazon for a book to help my adult children hear from God. I've experienced uncanny times when I've woken up in the middle of the night and knew God wanted me to pray, and another time bumped into a Christian neighbor who recommended a book that was exactly what I needed. But other times I feel I'm looking to God and get no clear leading when I have an important decision to make.

Can others share how they hear from God? Do you fast? Keep a prayer journal? Meditate? I usually like the old-time writers because they seemed to have a better grasp of Scripture but I haven't found one yet about hearing from God. I was reading some of the comments below some current books on hearing from God on Amazon and was concerned because some people remarked about the unscriptural practices recommended in the books even written by pastors. Has anyone here read any good books on discernment and how to hear from God that are Scriptural? I think we're living in an unprecedented era of evil and even many churches have turned worldly. It's hard finding quality teaching that holds fast to Scripture but God does give some people the gift of teaching. It's just really hard to sort through all the books to find those that are scripturally accurate.

How can one hear, unless they have been given ears to hear, and how can one see, unless they have been given eyes to see. A relationship is not built upon silence, nor is it only one way. Little children, He is right there with you(within you) to teach you, and guide you, and lead you unto all righteousness. Believe what He has already said(promised), and you will hear Him. Know that He is with you, even to the end.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I knew then what I know now. If there is one thing I could do over it would be to saturate myself with God's word as a youngster. But it doesn't seem to work out that way in most cases.
In many ways, I did. But, I never finally understood some of those inculcated Scriptures until many decades later. And, I am certain there are still plenty of meanings that allude my understanding... despite the fact that I THINK I know what they mean.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing I observe is that unless a professed believer has humbled themselves to be obedient to Jesus in yielding themselves to ask, beseech God for the infilling of the Holy Spirit they cannot plainly discern the voice of God.

God can and will speak to anyone. But those submitting to and bowing down to the religious doctrines of man made denominations and not to God will remain oblivious to the call of the voice of the good shepherd. Although the savior clearly stated that his sheep would know his voice the deniers of the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the dunamis, the power thereof, remain in a dry land.

God has blessed the simple, the fat cows that are able to be nourished by the most elementary principles of the words of God with the ability to hear the faintest whisper of the good shepherd.

A common trait of the denominational disciples is that there is never anything but silence when asked what Jesus says, has said, to them. Though the Bible that we all read is plain on these matters they are deaf and blind to them. Jesus Himself faced the same frustrations and asked "how is it that you can't hear what I am saying"?

We need not strain nor strive to hear the voice of God. Did you have to beg your earthly father to speak to you? To give you answers to your questions? To provide something you really needed? Of course not.

How much more then will your heavenly Father in his loving perfection answer you and guide you?

Pat Robertson was observing a large flock of sheep in Israel as they grazed the hills. The shepherd had walked to another pasture. Pat was amazed when at the slightest low whistle from him the sheep, even the most distant ones, responded immediately and ran at speed to the place where the shepherd stood.

Even so we must content ourselves and not strain, not strive to obtain that which he will make ever so plain to you in his time. Do not interpret his silence as not hearing you or of ignoring you. After all;

Psalm 50:3 KJVS
Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.

When God has something to say to you he will certainly say it.

John 10:14 KJVS
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep , and am known of mine.

John 10:27 KJVS
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Luke 9:35 KJVS
And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

John 10:2-4 KJVS
But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
[3] To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
[4] And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

John 10:5-6 KJVS
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
[6] This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

Dear friends that know Jesus and have yielded to Jesus and let him baptize you with his spirit lay down your striving to hear him. Only minister to him in prayer, thanksgiving, praise, repentance and worship and he wil say to you what you need. Lay down your stressful burden and know the good shepherd will speak when he has something to say to you.

To those that do not hear, that do not believe that he speaks I have nothing to say. If they have not yielded themselves to the spirit of God why would they listen to a mere man such as I?

But I speak by the spirit of God and have no confidence in my flesh and do not need the doctrines of men which they have created through faithless denominations.

Blessed are they that hear for they shall be given more. Amen

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The thing I observe is that unless a professed believer has humbled themselves to be obedient to Jesus in yielding themselves to ask, beseech God for the infilling of the Holy Spirit they cannot plainly discern the voice of God.

God can and will speak to anyone. But those submitting to and bowing down to the religious doctrines of man made denominations and not to God will remain oblivious to the call of the voice of the good shepherd. Although the savior clearly stated that his sheep would know his voice the deniers of the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the dunamis, the power thereof, remain in a dry land.

God has blessed the simple, the fat cows that are able to be nourished by the most elementary principles of the words of God with the ability to hear the faintest whisper of the good shepherd.

A common trait of the denominational disciples is that there is never anything but silence when asked what Jesus says, has said, to them. Though the Bible that we all read is plain on these matters they are deaf and blind to them. Jesus Himself faced the same frustrations and asked "how is it that you can't hear what I am saying"?

We need not strain nor strive to hear the voice of God. Did you have to beg your earthly father to speak to you? To give you answers to your questions? To provide something you really needed? Of course not.

How much more then will your heavenly Father in his loving perfection answer you and guide you?

Pat Robertson was observing a large flock of sheep in Israel as they grazed the hills. The shepherd had walked to another pasture. Pat was amazed when at the slightest low whistle from him the sheep, even the most distant ones, responded immediately and ran at speed to the place where the shepherd stood.

Even so we must content ourselves and not strain, not strive to obtain that which he will make ever so plain to you in his time. Do not interpret his silence as not hearing you or of ignoring you. After all;

Psalm 50:3 KJVS
Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.

When God has something to say to you he will certainly say it.

John 10:14 KJVS
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep , and am known of mine.

John 10:27 KJVS
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Luke 9:35 KJVS
And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

John 10:2-4 KJVS
But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
[3] To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
[4] And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

John 10:5-6 KJVS
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
[6] This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

Dear friends that know Jesus and have yielded to Jesus and let him baptize you with his spirit lay down your striving to hear him. Only minister to him in prayer, thanksgiving, praise, repentance and worship and he wil say to you what you need. Lay down your stressful burden and know the good shepherd will speak when he has something to say to you.

To those that do not hear, that do not believe that he speaks I have nothing to say. If they have not yielded themselves to the spirit of God why would they listen to a mere man such as I?

But I speak by the spirit of God and have no confidence in my flesh and do not need the doctrines of men which they have created through faithless denominations.

Blessed are they the hear for they shall be given more. Amen
When we are regularly reading the Word, regularly continuing in prayer, we are more likely to have a sense of the Lord's guidance, right?

Reactions: Willie T and Dave L

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's valuable advice. I'm looking for my children but I'm also in need of guidance on something important. It gets maddening when you're trying to listen but can't hear. I'm going to read the Word more than I usually do hoping that somehow God will speak. It seems we somehow have to train ourselves to hear the still, small, voice.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's valuable advice. I'm looking for my children but I'm also in need of guidance on something important. It gets maddening when you're trying to listen but can't here. I'm going to read the Word more than I usually do hoping that somehow God will speak. It seems we somehow have to train ourselves to hear the still, small, voice.
Guidance doesn't suddenly happen as a bolt from the blue, so to speak, but more likely after one consistently and prayerfully meditates in the Word over a period of time.

Reactions: Willie T
D

Dave L

That's valuable advice. I'm looking for my children but I'm also in need of guidance on something important. It gets maddening when you're trying to listen but can't hear. I'm going to read the Word more than I usually do hoping that somehow God will speak. It seems we somehow have to train ourselves to hear the still, small, voice.
The small still voice pertained to Elijah the prophet. So I think many who try to depict having heard the same are deluded by their own imaginations. But there is nothing like the voice of God in scripture. Peter says it is better than when they heard God speak in person. Jesus IS the Word of God and we experience more of his goodness the more we soak our minds in scripture.

“For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2 Peter 1:17–21) (KJV 1900)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you say how you hear from Him? Do you listen for a quiet voice?
Now in answer to you.

The Holy spirit first spoke to me many years ago, before I became a "christian", i had just walked out of a catholic mass, still remember to this day where it happened, and He spoke and said" there is something wrong with all of this", and that ended pretty much my life as a catholic.
Many years later outside the PO's bar in Pearl Harbour, Jesus poured out His love over me, from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. it was in front of a pond of Japanese fish which apparently the name mens love, i read the sign, since i had little understanding at the time i just though i was missing my new wonderful girlfriend,

after I became a christian, things got more exciting. I was caught up in the Spirit to Calvary, where i found myself at His right Hand, with the cross still on the ground , nails in His hands, Thorns on His head, most beautifull smile on His face and He said." David I did this for you". so much for God not speaking any more.

Than I have being caught up and He has shown me His sheep, as sheep grazing in green pastures, also as sheep turning into men all dressed in the purest white, He also showed me His precious Jewels, ever wondered about that patch of stars in the milky way called the Jewel box, "there will be signs in the heavens".

Than last time was caught up before Gods throne it was all like crystal, God told one of the angels to give me something, what he gave me appeared to be a coke can, a symbol of this world, I knew what it meant, and I answered, I dont want the world God, I just want to know you".

He smiled got up and gave one of the angels something to give to me it was a small disk, and He said this is your testimony. This one

Joh_3:33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.

and now I hear His voice as most do. like our conscious and the devil, a lot of noise trying to drown Him out, which I why you wont find me with headphones on my head very often, you cant hear God when the world is drowning Him out. Though I do often see Him in my mid, sometimes walking with me, Sometimes sitting down waiting, but alwys there.

Crazy thing is, all I have had is freely offered to all who believe, but if you dont believe God speaks to you, than you are missing out on His best.

Reactions: amadeus

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hearing voices in head = crazy.
Ye the pharisees said that of the apostles when they where given His spirit, so we know where you stand.

Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That is a lie straight from the Pits of Hell. God never stopped talking, people just stopped listening, to smart for God they dont need Him.
Psalm 119.105: 'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path'.

We should take care how we attribute ideas to be coming from hell, when God's Word itself says that the Word is how God speaks to us.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Psalm 119.105: 'Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path'.

We should take care how we attribute ideas to be coming from hell, when God's Word itself says that the Word is how God speaks to us.
You still missed it all

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

God never declared the bible to be His word, men did, and we can see what that has done....

so few believe.

or did I leave out this out

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

and

2Ti_3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

as men do

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You still missed it all

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

God never declared the bible to be His word, men did, and we can see what that has done....

so few believe.
John 17.17: 'Thy word is truth'.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 17.17: 'Thy word is truth'.
Yes Jesus is the truth even said it,

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

so cant deny that one.

He never mentioned teh bible...