How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people have so much ego, like the rich young ruler, that God cannot get a spiritual blessing in there edgewise, as the camel is much too big to go through the eye of the needle, so the ego inhibits the blessing from getting through, much like the clouds inhibiting the sunlight on an overcast day. If that is not bad enough, as God speaks not to them, so they assume God does not speak to anyone else as well.

Last edited:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been reading this thread, you obviously have very strong views- so I doubt this will make the slightest bit of difference. The is a big difference between ' hearing ' God speak to you through the Holy Spirit within and ' hearing voices ' in your head. When Gods speaks there is a knowing deep within you, it's hard to explain but it's not really in your mind , and you just know. Many times you do get that when you are reading scripture- when the Holy Spirit speaks personally through a verse , or reveals a deeper meaning to a verse. However it happens at other times as well. I gather you do not believe in the Holy Spirit giving people pictures, visions ect,
I have experienced quite a few, or I ' feel words ' ( hard to explain ) I can assure you that I am not mentally unwell.
I use to be part of church that felt the same way as you, and if that is all you want to experience then God will work with that, he doesn't force things on you. The church members use to equally believe you were mad if you had a ' word ' from the Lord. If you have never recieved from the Holy Spirit in this way then you are bound to disagree- but it doesn't mean that it's an issue of who is right and who is wrong.
Why is it so impossible to embrace that God can communicate in different ways if he chooses to. There are seasons for things.
I doubt you will agree, because the christian friends in my old church still think they are the only ones that are right about it all !!
Rita
James Dobson had written a book on it years ago called "Emotions - can you trust them." And he addressed this very topic - hearing from God. He said that he was driving and got a distinct "impression" that somebody close to him was going to die within the next months. It upset him but nothing happened. He told about another man who had the impression that he should marry a certain girl because God told him to. She didn't want to disobey the will of God so she agreed to marry him. The marriage turned out to be a disaster.

I think that things of the spirit are subjective and fraught with error. Someone can think they hear from God when they hear from the dark side or maybe their own selfish whims.

I've had those times that you spoke of - a 'knowing' within. I guess that correlates with the Scripture "My sheep hear my voice." But I'm wondering if there is a way to cultivate that.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I too like the old-time writers. A good book that has benefited me over the years is by Andrew Murray called "The Spirit of Christ". Though it is not specific to your subject, it does address it throughout the book. In fact, any books you can get by Andrew Murray I would recommend.

As to a more recent book that is more specific to your question, I would recommend the book by Jack Deere called "Surprised by the Power of the Spirit, By the Voice of God." It is two volumes in one.

Another book by an older writer, that I have enjoyed, is "Yes I am" by Norman Grubb. It is a good book and I think addresses many of your interests. And just as with Murray, any of his books are good.

Stranger
Thanks for those recommendations. The old time writers seem to have a grasp on spirituality and depth that is somewhat lacking today. I recalled a resource I used years ago: The Free Grace Broadcaster and am going to look on there for resources: Welcome to Chapel Library!

I read a book by Andrew Murray years ago. I looked on Amazon and all I could find were mostly newer books. I ended up ordering them some spiritual warfare books because I think we're in evil times and I don't know how much worse it can get. I'm still going to continue looking for hearing from God books.

I did get a clarification on something yesterday as I was reading through excerpts from spiritual warfare books. I saw so clearly that things that had been happening to my family and I were spiritual attacks and my husband and I missed discerning the source of them. We're dealing with a cunning enemy who lays snares and who uses people to do his evil work. I think hearing from God is so important to sidestep the pitfalls.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for those recommendations. The old time writers seem to have a grasp on spirituality and depth that is somewhat lacking today. I recalled a resource I used years ago: The Free Grace Broadcaster and am going to look on there for resources: Welcome to Chapel Library!

I read a book by Andrew Murray years ago. I looked on Amazon and all I could find were mostly newer books. I ended up ordering them some spiritual warfare books because I think we're in evil times and I don't know how much worse it can get. I'm still going to continue looking for hearing from God books.

I did get a clarification on something yesterday as I was reading through excerpts from spiritual warfare books. I saw so clearly that things that had been happening to my family and I were spiritual attacks and my husband and I missed discerning the source of them. We're dealing with a cunning enemy who lays snares and who uses people to do his evil work. I think hearing from God is so important to sidestep the pitfalls.
I found that book by Andrew Murray online in its entirety.

D

Dave L

I have been reading this thread, you obviously have very strong views- so I doubt this will make the slightest bit of difference. The is a big difference between ' hearing ' God speak to you through the Holy Spirit within and ' hearing voices ' in your head. When Gods speaks there is a knowing deep within you, it's hard to explain but it's not really in your mind , and you just know. Many times you do get that when you are reading scripture- when the Holy Spirit speaks personally through a verse , or reveals a deeper meaning to a verse. However it happens at other times as well. I gather you do not believe in the Holy Spirit giving people pictures, visions ect,
I have experienced quite a few, or I ' feel words ' ( hard to explain ) I can assure you that I am not mentally unwell.
I use to be part of church that felt the same way as you, and if that is all you want to experience then God will work with that, he doesn't force things on you. The church members use to equally believe you were mad if you had a ' word ' from the Lord. If you have never recieved from the Holy Spirit in this way then you are bound to disagree- but it doesn't mean that it's an issue of who is right and who is wrong.
Why is it so impossible to embrace that God can communicate in different ways if he chooses to. There are seasons for things.
I doubt you will agree, because the christian friends in my old church still think they are the only ones that are right about it all !!
Rita
I hear God in exactly the same way as you. So I believe you are missing the point. It is when we don't use scripture to hear God and prefer imaginary voices instead, telling ourselves and others it is God. Low regard for scripture = high regard for wild imagination.

Reactions: Nancy
D

Dave L

He actually talks to men who listen, Just for some reason people dont want to hear, especially religious people who long to Keep little children from Him'

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

things havnt changed

Mat_19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

but the religious do this

Mat 19:13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

and again

Mar_7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

again

Mat_13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

and again

Heb_4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

but so many refuse to listen
God speaks through his written word. You can drive yourself crazy thinking he uses your imagination.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Rita

Nail on the head here Rita. Excellent and clear post.
But as you said, wasted on those who choose to believe that 'everything' has ceased. :rolleyes:

...xx

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you are driving along, and "something" tells you to "go around the block", where you find a homeless man with no shoes sitting on a bench... which Scripture are you reading at that time?

Well, that is a thought that is definitely NOT Satan so...I would say oh, um GOD!!!? LoL...Our God NEVER ceases communicating to His people. ♥

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When you are driving along, and "something" tells you to "go around the block", where you find a homeless man with no shoes sitting on a bench... which Scripture are you reading at that time?

A number of years back a friend of our was out on his bike.
He 'felt' the Lord nudge him and say.." Go and buy a pint of milk and take it to the green house at the very end of the street on the right."

It sounded crazy, but because he cherished the voice of the Lord , he did it anyway. He felt foolish when he knocked on the door.
A harassed woman answered the door , and burst into tears when our friend said " God said you need this"

She had two small sick children that she could not leave, and a tiny baby who needed milk. Needless to say he told her about the Jesus and led her to the Lord right there in the kitchen.

It pay to have our ear fine tuned to the Voice of God.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen to that!

Once upon a time a man wrote a book of rules, common sense and knowlege to help his son in life as he grew. The son was zealous and diligent to study and follow his father's words. He read and meditated on it day and night. He studied those words.

But the son was hard of hearing. As he sat studying the book that the father had made the father spoke a word of guidance to him asking him to do a certain thing. The son didn't reply because he didn't hear. He could not comprehend one certain thing that the father had written.

21And whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear this command behind you: “This is the way. Walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21

Other children had convinced him that certain things the father had written were not to be believed.

9Then Jesus said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” Mark 4;9

Matthew 13:16 KJVS
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

The spiritually deaf hold to the letter of the law but are deaf to the voice of the Holy Spirit and have chosen the words of men over the living word of God the Father.

Reactions: amadeus
B

Butterfly

James Dobson had written a book on it years ago called "Emotions - can you trust them." And he addressed this very topic - hearing from God. He said that he was driving and got a distinct "impression" that somebody close to him was going to die within the next months. It upset him but nothing happened. He told about another man who had the impression that he should marry a certain girl because God told him to. She didn't want to disobey the will of God so she agreed to marry him. The marriage turned out to be a disaster.

I think that things of the spirit are subjective and fraught with error. Someone can think they hear from God when they hear from the dark side or maybe their own selfish whims.

I've had those times that you spoke of - a 'knowing' within. I guess that correlates with the Scripture "My sheep hear my voice." But I'm wondering if there is a way to cultivate that.
Not sure that ' having an impression ' is the same as ' knowing ' both of the examples you gave are not knowing, do you not think that if God wanted this girl to marry the man then the girl herself would have equally heard from God.
The discussion is more about whether it is believed that God can speak to people independent of scripture - or whether he just speaks through scripture. I say God does both.
If you have ever read books from chines Christians, brother yen is an example - they have so much testimony about being ' led ' by the spirit , in the same way Paul was.
Rita

Reactions: Helen and Nancy
B

Butterfly

I hear God in exactly the same way as you. So I believe you are missing the point. It is when we don't use scripture to hear God and prefer imaginary voices instead, telling ourselves and others it is God. Low regard for scripture = high regard for wild imagination.
Well if I have missed the point, so have others reading this thread. If you hear God in the same way as me then that must mean you believe in ' dreams, pictures, prophecy , and words ' from the Holy Spirit
- so I am now somewhat confused !! Lol
Rita

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God speaks through his written word. You can drive yourself crazy thinking he uses your imagination.
God gave us His Spirit and just in case you missed it,

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life

and from Jesus

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

so if you cant hear His voice than who is it you are listening to??

Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

and of course

Rom_8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

IF you dont want to hear, than that is yoir problem, I can only presume than a preacher you are.... keeping Gods children from Him as the religious do.

D

Dave L

God gave us His Spirit and just in case you missed it,

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life

and from Jesus

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

so if you cant hear His voice than who is it you are listening to??

Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

and of course

Rom_8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

IF you dont want to hear, than that is yoir problem, I can only presume than a preacher you are.... keeping Gods children from Him as the religious do.
And the Holy Spirit comes through God's written word.

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63) (KJV 1900)

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” (John 14:26) (KJV 1900)

How? Through scripture alone.

D

Dave L

Well if I have missed the point, so have others reading this thread. If you hear God in the same way as me then that must mean you believe in ' dreams, pictures, prophecy , and words ' from the Holy Spirit
- so I am now somewhat confused !! Lol
Rita
God speaks only through scripture. He opens our understanding of the scriptures. If this is what you meant, I agree with it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh so does that mean you are not His sheep

Joh_10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

no, God speaks He has a voice, men are just afraid to hear...

what was said, I shall have no other Gods before me" than came the bible. Dont need you God we have our God book and we demand you agree with it, because we, "men", raised it above you even Christ it is our God.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Holy Spirit comes through God's written word.

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63) (KJV 1900)

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” (John 14:26) (KJV 1900)

I do understand that we cannot "hear" or "see" scripture without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. But what of certain choices on this earth, that we do not know which way to choose? Like, what is your will in this Father? How should I respond to this or that and a million other things.
I have myself been guilty of the "I didn't experience it, so it ain't true phase" I now see that we cannot put our Great God in a box and limit Him. The Holy Spirit's work will NEVER contradict Gods Word, and He is ever working FOR us. So, I suppose it will be "...be it done unto you according to your faith" ♥

B

Butterfly

God speaks only through scripture. He opens our understanding of the scriptures. If this is what you meant, I agree with it.[/QUOTE
No, back to square one, I believe in personal revelation and guidence through the Holy Spirit and revelation of scripture !
I think I will leave it there Dave x

B

Butterfly

I do understand that we cannot "hear" or "see" scripture without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. But what of certain choices on this earth, that we do not know which way to choose? Like, what is your will in this Father? How should I respond to this or that and a million other things.
I have myself been guilty of the "I didn't experience it, so it ain't true phase" I now see that we cannot put our Great God in a box and limit Him. The Holy Spirit's work will NEVER contradict Gods Word, and He is ever working FOR us. So, I suppose it will be "...be it done unto you according to your faith" ♥
Great way of putting it Nancy x