How do you hear the "still, small, voice"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Ye the pharisees said that of the apostles when they where given His spirit, so we know where you stand.

Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
There are no more apostles or prophets. Voices in your head is not having a sound mind.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are no more apostles or prophets. Voices in your head is not having a sound mind.
Well than you have nothing, what was it Jesus said about finding faith upon teh earth, so little of it around, I guess you must be a pastor or something.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He said 'Thy word'.
Yes and guess who His word is

Joh_1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

and His word is always truth,the bible is another matter.. but if that is all you have than it is your choice to not listen.

Eph_4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

Gal_1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

where do you think they got there "revelation" from after Christ was gone, they had no "word". They believed it is enough for God.

D

Dave L

Well than you have nothing, what was it Jesus said about finding faith upon teh earth, so little of it around, I guess you must be a pastor or something.
The only prophets today are false. And those who listen to them are deceived. I've seen some pretty bizarre things while running in Pentecostal circles that are totally missing in mainstream churches. I think "conjured up voices in the head" has a lot to do with it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only prophets today are false. And those who listen to them are deceived. I've seen some pretty bizarre things while running in Pentecostal circles that are totally missing in mainstream churches. I think "conjured up voices in the head" has a lot to do with it.
yes your right bout the prophets because we all have His Spirit and can now all be taught of God, but than you have to believe first.

Act_2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

of course that means you will have to hear....

D

Dave L

yes your right bout the prophets because we all have His Spirit and can now all be taught of God, but than you have to believe first.

Act_2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

of course that means you will have to hear....
God speaks through scripture. Not voices in the head.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:4-5

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:4-5
And Paul was speaking scripture into existence while saying that. He was a prophet..........

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With many folk... I wonder... Along with the Apostle Paul....

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve. - Acts 19

Reactions: Soverign Grace

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ye not to those who wont listen....

It is your box you put Him in. .and so you wont grow....

and the voice in your head says, you cant hear from God, you cant hear from God. so who than is it you are listening to???

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The small still voice pertained to Elijah the prophet. So I think many who try to depict having heard the same are deluded by their own imaginations. But there is nothing like the voice of God in scripture. Peter says it is better than when they heard God speak in person. Jesus IS the Word of God and we experience more of his goodness the more we soak our minds in scripture.

“For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2 Peter 1:17–21) (KJV 1900)
It's hard to tell if that was just meant for Elijah or it was a type to show us.

You named a Scripture that speaks to this: "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." That implies that they heard from the holy ghost. But how? There must be a path to get in tune with God's voice. Hasn't anyone found it? I'm a little frustrated because I have two important decisions to make, and I want to find a solid resource to help guide my children. I've had those times of peace before but I don't have it now. I really want God to guide me in upcoming decisions.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now in answer to you.

The Holy spirit first spoke to me many years ago, before I became a "christian", i had just walked out of a catholic mass, still remember to this day where it happened, and He spoke and said" there is something wrong with all of this", and that ended pretty much my life as a catholic.
Many years later outside the PO's bar in Pearl Harbour, Jesus poured out His love over me, from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. it was in front of a pond of Japanese fish which apparently the name mens love, i read the sign, since i had little understanding at the time i just though i was missing my new wonderful girlfriend,

after I became a christian, things got more exciting. I was caught up in the Spirit to Calvary, where i found myself at His right Hand, with the cross still on the ground , nails in His hands, Thorns on His head, most beautifull smile on His face and He said." David I did this for you". so much for God not speaking any more.

Than I have being caught up and He has shown me His sheep, as sheep grazing in green pastures, also as sheep turning into men all dressed in the purest white, He also showed me His precious Jewels, ever wondered about that patch of stars in the milky way called the Jewel box, "there will be signs in the heavens".

Than last time was caught up before Gods throne it was all like crystal, God told one of the angels to give me something, what he gave me appeared to be a coke can, a symbol of this world, I knew what it meant, and I answered, I dont want the world God, I just want to know you".

He smiled got up and gave one of the angels something to give to me it was a small disk, and He said this is your testimony. This one

Joh_3:33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.

and now I hear His voice as most do. like our conscious and the devil, a lot of noise trying to drown Him out, which I why you wont find me with headphones on my head very often, you cant hear God when the world is drowning Him out. Though I do often see Him in my mid, sometimes walking with me, Sometimes sitting down waiting, but alwys there.

Crazy thing is, all I have had is freely offered to all who believe, but if you dont believe God speaks to you, than you are missing out on His best.
Wow - that's some powerful interaction - I long for that. I have times of feeling God so close; like He's in the room with me, yet I have a lot of noise in my mind - always thinking about things I have to do, distracted by pain, or just overall feeling out of sync. I've had times when I felt in sync but I feel like I'm missing the mark somewhere. I long for that closeness - really long and He knows it. Did you do anything that helped you hear from God? I have two very important decisions to make. I really need to hear from Him.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wow - that's some powerful interaction - I long for that. I have times of feeling God so close; like He's in the room with me, yet I have a lot of noise in my mind - always thinking about things I have to do, distracted by pain, or just overall feeling out of sync. I've had times when I felt in sync but I feel like I'm missing the mark somewhere. I long for that closeness - really long and He knows it. Did you do anything that helped you hear from God? I have two very important decisions to make. I really need to hear from Him.
I guess it comes down to believe without doubting, i was never expecting any of it, never asked for any of it, I find its best to ask than let it go, He answers in His time, liek one day a friend asked me for some money, so I gave her some, more than she expected and walking along the road He says, if you, a man, can give someone more than they ask than how much more do you think I can give.

He is wonderful when you just accept Him as He is without trying to stifle Him with rules, what He can and cannot do.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, the best thing to give them is the Bible - God's very Word and keep your children in prayer. No human author can compare to the Author of Scripture. The Holy Spirit will work in ways that cannot be mistaken. I'm not saying Christian books can't be helpful, I've read some great ones, but when it comes to God, nothing beats the Bible and seeking Him and praying.

The best way to be lead by God is to know God deeper. We can't except to hear the still small voice when we are not fully invested in His Word. Because then any voice can be mistaken for God's voice and if we are not in tune with His Word and know it, it can make things more complicated.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're expressing my sentiments exactly. I want to hear more from Him and help my kids do the same.

But I've learned that I can't force God to speak to me. There is no 'secret' or technique - in fact, almost every time He has spoken to me, it's been in a different way. The danger with 'how-to-do-it' instructions is that we can end up misinterpreting our own thoughts for God's voice.

I suspect that we don't need to hear His voice as often as we think we do. As far as guidance is concerned... so many things are actually covered by Biblical principles. Or we can get advice from other Christians (believe it or not, that is actually one of the main ways in which God speaks to us!). Or it may not actually matter which course of action we take, and God doesn't mind!

The only thing I can do is be open and listening.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess it comes down to believe without doubting, i was never expecting any of it, never asked for any of it, I find its best to ask than let it go, He answers in His time, liek one day a friend asked me for some money, so I gave her some, more than she expected and walking along the road He says, if you, a man, can give someone more than they ask than how much more do you think I can give.

He is wonderful when you just accept Him as He is without trying to stifle Him with rules, what He can and cannot do.
Honestly, the best thing to give them is the Bible - God's very Word and keep your children in prayer. No human author can compare to the Author of Scripture. The Holy Spirit will work in ways that cannot be mistaken. I'm not saying Christian books can't be helpful, I've read some great ones, but when it comes to God, nothing beats the Bible and seeking Him and praying.

The best way to be lead by God is to know God deeper. We can't except to hear the still small voice when we are not fully invested in His Word. Because then any voice can be mistaken for God's voice and if we are not in tune with His Word and know it, it can make things more complicated.
That's a point. They're so busy working that I was thinking of buying them the bible on MP3 - has anyone used one of them? I have to look up what they run off of so I don't get something with batteries that will run out. I used to listen to the bible on CD and had a time of bible reading every morning. Then things got difficult and my reading became hit or miss.

Reactions: LC627

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been searching on Amazon for a book to help my adult children hear from God.

Hi ~

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say, you have likely shared your thoughts "on hearing from God", with your adult children, and they have not responded with any comments of having an experience of "hearing from God".

Would that be accurate?

If yes; may I ask, are you really more concerned about your adult children 'hearing from God' or "wondering if they have a relationship with God" ?

Of course, I have no clue if your adult children go to Church, hear His Word, read or show an interest. Would that maybe be a concern of yours?

You asked for Book suggestions, but that is kind of open-ended, not knowing where your adult children Stand to begin with, to make a Book suggestion.

It is absolutely normal for Christian Parents to be concerned about the Faith of their adult children, and parents are Often in the Dark of where their adult Children Stand in Faith, and BTW, the parent is Often the last one an adult child wants PREACHING Faith to them.

God Bless,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's a point. They're so busy working that I was thinking of buying them the bible on MP3 - has anyone used one of them? I have to look up what they run off of so I don't get something with batteries that will run out. I used to listen to the bible on CD and had a time of bible reading every morning. Then things got difficult and my reading became hit or miss.
If you want to Hear God speak, than put down your bible find a quiet place and talk to Him, If you really want to hear Him speak, than there is no other way. He does speak just very few give Him the time to listen... Ears to hear, eyes to see.

D

Dave L

It's hard to tell if that was just meant for Elijah or it was a type to show us.

You named a Scripture that speaks to this: "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." That implies that they heard from the holy ghost. But how? There must be a path to get in tune with God's voice. Hasn't anyone found it? I'm a little frustrated because I have two important decisions to make, and I want to find a solid resource to help guide my children. I've had those times of peace before but I don't have it now. I really want God to guide me in upcoming decisions.
God spoke through prophets until the Apostles (prophets) passed into glory. But we have them and their words in scripture. This is how God speaks. I do not think it is healthy to try to hear voices in our heads thinking it is God. The idea is to control our thoughts and imaginations making them conform to scripture. How many drive themselves crazy thinking God speaks audibly to them?

Reactions: farouk
D

Dave L

Ye not to those who wont listen....

It is your box you put Him in. .and so you wont grow....

and the voice in your head says, you cant hear from God, you cant hear from God. so who than is it you are listening to???
Psssst. Don't tell people you hear "God" speaking to you in your head.