How do you know your saved??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody should have to guess whether they are saved or not when scripture says we can know we have eternal life, that we are already seated in the heavens with him.
It's not a game of chance.

Reactions: friend of and marks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nobody should have to guess whether they are saved or not when scripture says we can know we have eternal life, that we are already seated in the heavens with him.
It's not a game of chance.
It's a game of perseverance, ....wisdom and faith.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Reply #2:
That was fast! :) Well no one is finally saved before the end. Until then we are in play...in training...in a race. And being saved to what? Many will be saved and cast away into darkness there to roam in the wilderness forever.

So salvation is not an issue...but being a light in the world IS.

I find that modern church people have opted for being the "saved" of the world rather than being the "light" of the world.
Hello @Episkopos,

It is very easy to point the finger at fellow believers , and make the kind of accusation you have made in your last sentence, but we are not to look at the speck in another's eye, but concentrate on removing the plank in our own.

Also, where do you get the idea that (quote) 'Many will be saved and cast away into darkness there to roam in the wilderness forever.?' How can that ever be said about a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ? With an unsubstantiated statement like that I am surprised that anyone endorsed your post with a 'like'.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a game of perseverance, ....wisdom and faith.
I am not saved by my effort. I am saved by Christ's sacrifice.

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

1 John 5:13
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

Yes, you can fall away, but it's not like losing your car keys. You can't lose salvation, you can only throw it away.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You ask how I know I am saved? The answer to that is simple - God has assured me that I am saved in His Word. What other witness do I need than that? I was saved through believing God's word concerning His Son the Lord Jesus Christ, and I have the assurance of salvation through believing that same word
Hi charity, so just to clarify. You said that your assurance lies in the fact the you have 'believed' the testimony of God's Son, in order to attain salvation, as prescribed in the Bible? I also believe the same.
Therefore, would you say that your salvation is contingent upon your faith, or rather, the resilience and endurance of your convictions in Christ?
For there are those who hear the Word, and don't believe. Thus, free-will and discretion appears to be something that we are all affected by, and therefore, do we all not have the intrinsic ability to even change our minds, despite what we formerly believed?

I believe as 'easy' as we came to Christ i.e. 'believe in thy heart, and confess with thy mouth', we can just as freely renounce or deny what we formerly believed.
We all must keep ourselves in check right to the very end i.e. death, or Christ's return.
'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,
whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.'

(Ephesians 4:30)

Hello @DNB,

I'm sorry I missed this post: You ask me a question: 'would you say that your salvation is contingent upon your faith?

I believe that when we truly believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour and Lord, we are 'sealed' unto the day of redemption, by the Holy Spirit of God: and that therefore nothing can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,
whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.'

(Ephesians 4:30)

Hello @DNB,

I'm sorry I missed this post: You ask me a question: 'would you say that your salvation is contingent upon your faith?

I believe that when we truly believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour and Lord, we are 'sealed' unto the day of redemption, by the Holy Spirit of God: and that therefore nothing can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Thank you very much for clarifying, charity!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Episkopos,

It is very easy to point the finger at fellow believers , and make the kind of accusation you have made in your last sentence, but we are not to look at the speck in another's eye, but concentrate on removing the plank in our own.

Also, where do you get the idea that (quote) 'Many will be saved and cast away into darkness there to roam in the wilderness forever.?' How can that ever be said about a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ? With an unsubstantiated statement like that I am surprised that anyone endorsed your post with a 'like'.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

To understand God's ways one has to realize that we are offered choices and that there are both good and bad outcomes for everything. So there is life and death. Now a believer has passed from death to life. So that's the first level. But then there is also after that blessing and cursing. Or...honour and dishonour.

Now most believers never get past the first level. These don't understand the nature of grace. We don't understand that we are not better than the Jews. We think we are superior. But pride goes before a fall.

Just as the Jews failed the law...so many of us will also fail grace. So we don't learn anything by reading the bible...instead we become as deceived of our own special place with God as the Jews did before us. Were they not the people of God? We prove we are just like the Jews in this way...very human.

Heb. 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not according to those who believe you lose salvation each time you sin.
Interesting, sort of...?
I sin daily, but have not lost my faith in the Gospel of Christ. So, I'm not sure what denomination teaches the position that you stated?
I believe that one can lose their faith by renouncing Christ's redemptive work and God's grace.
For, as easy as they acquired their salvation, by accepting the Jesus as Lord & Saviour, they can as easy, turn their back on it (weeds sown on shallow ground).

Reactions: Nancy

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, sort of...?
I sin daily, but have not lost my faith in the Gospel of Christ. So, I'm not sure what denomination teaches the position that you stated?
I believe that one can lose their faith by renouncing Christ's redemptive work and God's grace.
For, as easy as they acquired their salvation, by accepting the Jesus as Lord & Saviour, they can as easy, turn their back on it (weeds sown on shallow ground).
I think we are on the same page, then. If you ever attended any holiness churches, you would know what I mean. I was scared to death when I first got saved that God was gonna kick me out for every sin, because that's how I was taught in church.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think we are on the same page, then. If you ever attended any holiness churches, you would know what I mean. I was scared to death when I first got saved that God was gonna kick me out for every sin, because that's how I was taught in church.
I see, I was unaware as to what you were alluding too (so many doctrines and denominations out there).
Great, if we are on the same page, for I feel that over-confidence i.e. once saved always saved (which i was protesting), can cause someone to not keep themselves in check, and possibly lose the race.
Whereas, similarly, you are saying, the austerity approach may cause some to give up, or get so stressed and become incapacitated?
Here's to retaining the faith until the end, and hopefully being fruitful!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To understand God's ways one has to realise that we are offered choices and that there are both good and bad outcomes for everything. So there is life and death. Now a believer has passed from death to life. So that's the first level. But then there is also after that blessing and cursing. Or...honour and dishonour.
Hello @Episkopos,

* I agree that choices have consequences, either good or bad. I agree that the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ has 'passed from death unto life' for God's word makes that clear (John 5:24). However, I know nothing of 'curses' spoken of in relation to the believer in Christ. Honour and dishonour are words related to our walk and witness, with reward or loss: but that does NOT effect our standing in Christ, for that is one of unmerited favour or grace, and will not be taken from us.
Episkopos said:
Now most believers never get past the first level. These don't understand the nature of grace. We don't understand that we are not better than the Jews. We think we are superior. But pride goes before a fall.
* Yes, the definition of grace is 'unmerited favour' - that is it's nature.
* I agree that the believer is not superior in any way to those around him, whether Jew or Gentile, the only difference between the unbeliever and believer is that they have been saved by grace, and have the hope of life in Christ Jesus. Therefore, as you have said, have 'passed from death unto life'.
Episkopos said:
Just as the Jews failed the law...so many of us will also fail grace. So we don't learn anything by reading the bible...instead we become as deceived of our own special place with God as the Jews did before us. Were they not the people of God? We prove we are just like the Jews in this way...very human. Heb. 12:15 - 'Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;'
* The believer can only be said to have 'fallen from grace' if he were to seek to be justified by law instead of by God's grace (Galatians 5:4). That is what the Hebrew believers of (Hebrews 12:15) were in danger of doing, thereby could 'fail of the grace of God'.

* To say that we don't learn anything by reading the Bible is denied within it's very pages: for faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17). It also washes away the detritus that builds up in our minds by living in the world day by day, thus sanctifying us, or setting us apart unto God, and cleansing us (Ephesians 5:26). So we are told to:-

'Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;
.. teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
.... singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,
.. do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
.... giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.'

(Colossiansl 3:16-17)​

Thank you :)
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'm saved because I am trusting in the blood of Christ to take away my sin. Trusting in Him like a parachute. :)
Hello @friend of,

* Thank you. This brought the last verses of Jude to my mind (Jude 1:24-25):-

'Now unto Him that is able to keep you from falling,
and to present you faultless
before the presence of His glory
with exceeding joy,
.. To the only wise God our Saviour,
.... be glory and majesty,
...... dominion and power,
........ both now and ever.
.......... Amen.'

* He is able to keep us from falling. How wonderful that is, isn't it? :)

* I have experienced His keeping power in my own life, for He has rescued me from the excesses of my own wilfulness, and delivered me, in ways that are too personal to share, but for which I am so thankful to Him.

Praise His Holy Name!

For He is Faithful Who has promised.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see, I was unaware as to what you were alluding too (so many doctrines and denominations out there).
Great, if we are on the same page, for I feel that over-confidence i.e. once saved always saved (which i was protesting), can cause someone to not keep themselves in check, and possibly lose the race.
Whereas, similarly, you are saying, the austerity approach may cause some to give up, or get so stressed and become incapacitated?
Here's to retaining the faith until the end, and hopefully being fruitful!
Yes, I have set under OSAS teaching too, but the balance I see in scripture is that the key is remaining in Christ. When I investigated OSAS, I find that the people who follow it can't really know if they are saved. Their response would be that if you fall away you were never saved, which never made sense to me.
On the other extreme, believing you fall away every time you sin, certainly doesn't lead to approaching the throne with confidence. Then, it all rests on us to power through. That isn't the reality. The only way, IMO, is trusting God to hold onto us.
I have had long discussions on other forums with people from both extremes.
Balance is a rare thing it seems.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1st John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful to cleans us from all unrightousness.

Jeremiah 31:34, "God says, "I will forgive their wickedness and will REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE" - PRAISE GOD.

To bring us to what state? To bring us under grace where there is the power over sin? Or that we continue to live in our own power and just expect to be covered for our sins?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I have set under OSAS teaching too, but the balance I see in scripture is that the key is remaining in Christ. When I investigated OSAS, I find that the people who follow it can't really know if they are saved. Their response would be that if you fall away you were never saved, which never made sense to me.
On the other extreme, believing you fall away every time you sin, certainly doesn't lead to approaching the throne with confidence. Then, it all rests on us to power through. That isn't the reality. The only way, IMO, is trusting God to hold onto us.
I have had long discussions on other forums with people from both extremes.
Balance is a rare thing it seems.

How does one remain in Him?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does one remain in Him?
by abiding in the true vine “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much"fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.