How do you know your saved??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
SALVATION IS AN ACCOMPLISHED FACT
2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Man...how can people be so far off?

Blessing a person doesn't confer eternal life. We are to bless every house we enter.

And the rest is all human speculation that assumes that you become a saint by reading a bible.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is not only incorrect but fallacious. And there is ample Scripture to refute what you have stated. Let's take just one example:

EPHESIANS 1
1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

SALVATION IS AN ACCOMPLISHED FACT
2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

SAINTS ARE ALREADY BLESSED WITH ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

THE DIVINE ELECTION OF THE SAINTS WAS FROM BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

THE DIVINE PREDESTINATION OF SAINTS WAS FROM BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

SAINTS ARE ALREADY ACCEPTED IN THE BELOVED (CHRIST)
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the Beloved.

REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD IS AN ACCOMPLISHED FACT
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

ALL THINGS ARE TO BE GATHERED TOGETHER IN CHRIST
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

THE INHERITANCE OF THE SAINTS GUARANTEED BY GOD
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

THE CHURCH TO BE ETERNALLY TO THE PRAISE OF GOD'S GLORY
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Oh, you're Reformed, I may have forgotten? I am not, which you probably already realize.
Yes, I do agree that the verses that you quoted above, do tend to assert that their is an indiscriminate pre-election on God's sovereign part. And thus, if that were so, it follows that one would also have to expect a preservation of the elect.
But, of course, the pericope that you cited, is not the only Biblical explanation of how believers are rendered or chosen. I am sure that you are aware of the opposing verses on the issue. (Hebrews 6:4-8, 1 Corinthians 9:44-27, Philippians 3:12-14, Parable of the sower, etc...). Not to mention the requisition of the martyrs to preach in Jesus' name. Who will burn in the flames to save those who are unconditionally elected?

My understanding is that both, God's sovereignty and man's free will, are true. That is, God ordained history to unfold in a manner that would expose those, who by their free will, will either accept or reject the Gospel of Christ. God's foreknowledge allows him to know exactly, who will do what, under any given circumstances. Not necessarily because he wired them that way, but just as any wise person can predict the actions of another, God, in his wisdom, knows us better than we know ourselves (As Jesus predicted Peter's and the other's denial).

Thus, man by his own free-will and wisdom can accept Jesus Christ one day, and in the future, renounce his former convictions.

Reactions: Episkopos

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, you're Reformed, I may have forgotten? I am not, which you probably already realize.
Yes, I do agree that the verses that you quoted above, do tend to assert that their is an indiscriminate pre-election on God's sovereign part. And thus, if that were so, it follows that one would also have to expect a preservation of the elect.
But, of course, the pericope that you cited, is not the only Biblical explanation of how believers are rendered or chosen. I am sure that you are aware of the opposing verses on the issue. (Hebrews 6:4-8, 1 Corinthians 9:44-27, Philippians 3:12-14, Parable of the sower, etc...). Not to mention the requisition of the martyrs to preach in Jesus' name. Who will burn in the flames to save those who are unconditionally elected?

My understanding is that both, God's sovereignty and man's free will, are true. That is, God ordained history to unfold in a manner that would expose those, who by their free will, will either accept or reject the Gospel of Christ. God's foreknowledge allows him to know exactly, who will do what, under any given circumstances. Not necessarily because he wired them that way, but just as any wise person can predict the actions of another, God, in his wisdom, knows us better than we know ourselves (As Jesus predicted Peter's and the other's denial).

Thus, man by his own free-will and wisdom can accept Jesus Christ one day, and in the future, renounce his former convictions.
Although I like to believe that had I been a disciple of Christ as He climbed the mountains of Judea that I’d had faith prior to Pentecost, but we all know this isn’t true. Even though they witnessed the miracles and all His majesty they were all lost, and I’m certain had you asked any prior to the gifting of the Holy Spirit were they saved______?

Faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People always use this inappropriately. The thief on the cross was declared saved by Jesus. Until someone finds a person to declare himself saved....as in (Jesus being silent) I will be with you in paradise this day!

The same goes for Abraham. It doesn't say "and he believed God and he imputed righteousness on himself for it." That would be ridiculous...but it is what modern believers do.

So until God gets involves and declares what is what...people are living in their own reality.

I prefer to wait on the Lord and live in actual reality.

Exactly

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no way I can go through my life not being sure." ( I was 22 ) God heard my childish cry and showed me that I could trust Him .
Hi Helen, if it's not too personal, would you mind elaborating on exactly how He convinced you of your salvation?
Was it that you questioned if your faith was real, or orthodox (in accordance with his Word), and He assured you that it was?
Was it perseverance that you were questioning, and He explained his willingness to sustain you (OSAS), or He said that your faith will not falter until the end?

Again, if it was just a personal response that he gave you, between you and him, that's understandable, and maybe it should be kept that way?
But, if He imparted something that you feel pertains to everyone, eg: like the principle of 'Once saved Always Saved' (OSAS), or just having something to do with the efficacy of Christ's atonement, then do you care to share that?
Thanks either way!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And the rest is all human speculation that assumes that you become a saint by reading a bible.
And this from a person who specializes in Gnostic speculations? Where did I post anything about a saint reading a Bible? I presented exactly what is in that chapter, but for your wilful blindness you would have agreed completely.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no need to put a NONSENSICAL SPIN on that which is clearly stated in Scripture. Ephesian 1 is NOT about Paul validating his authority but about the certainty of the salvation of the saints.

And how could I be missing key elements of that chapter when I have given every verse and correctly explained it? You should be thanking me instead of trying to put your own spin on Bible truth.

Sorry, if you don't see it. I didn't see it for most of my life, either. About 10 years ago, I was getting my car worked on and while waiting I took my Bible and asked God to reveal His truth, so I read the whole letter to the Ephesians very slowly to think about and absorb every word in context. It is one thing to quote Scripture; and another thing to understand what the Author means. Go to the Source, and ask before reading. I received fresh revelation that chapter one was a 'confirming authoritative introduction,' and not that all Christians are predestined, though foreknown. Paul does this in many of his letters where he gives recognition to Israel as God's chosen people. But even so we know that not all the elect were preserved. Some were cut off due to unbelief. The introduction to the letter is about those "who first believed," the 12 Jewish disciples. Even Judas, probably a psychopath with no conscience, was predestined to fulfill Scripture.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I simply quoted the actual Scriptures in Ephesians one to prove that salvation is an accomplished fact. Election and predestination confirm that. However I did not discuss how Calvinists and non-Calvinists view it, and I am not even a Calvinist.
But, of course, the pericope that you cited, is not the only Biblical explanation of how believers are rendered or chosen.
For all genuine Christians one passage of Scripture which details the certainty of salvation should suffice.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I received fresh revelation that chapter one was a 'confirming authoritative introduction,' and not that all Christians are predestined, though foreknown.
Well you certainly did not get that *fresh revelation* from God. So let me quote from Romans (which is divine revelation to Paul from God and Christ regarded as Scripture by all Christians) to show you that all genuine Christians are not only predestined for perfection, but predestined to be glorified.

ROMANS 8: THE PERFECTION OF OUR SALVATION
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God
be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?
It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you certainly did not get that *fresh revelation* from God. So let me quote from Romans (which is divine revelation to Paul from God and Christ regarded as Scripture by all Christians) to show you that all genuine Christians are not only predestined for perfection, but predestined to be glorified.

ROMANS 8: THE PERFECTION OF OUR SALVATION
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God
be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?
It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Well, you do know that Romans 9, 10 and 11 are about Israel don't you, so it is not unusual that the end of Roman 8 would flow right into chapter 9 before man-made numbering of verses and chapters came into being.

Whether or not you are totally entrenched in Calvinism, you seem to be proponents of many of their doctrines and cannot see what God actually means. If you would let Him, He would give you the Truth, rather than you just going by the errors found in the early part of the Reformation that infiltrates just about all of Protestantism. Go to the Source. Your indoctrination is why you can't believe that God still talks to His people, especially when we ask for His wisdom. James 1:5. I was raised in a denomination that believed they were the only denomination that had The Truth. It was a shock when I found errors and left the denomination. But it made me realize that no denomination is worth getting closed minded again, so I've never joined another. Yes, I have favorites, but I learn so much more when it is just me and the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Candidus

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I simply quoted the actual Scriptures in Ephesians one to prove that salvation is an accomplished fact. Election and predestination confirm that. However I did not discuss how Calvinists and non-Calvinists view it, and I am not even a Calvinist.
Ok, my mistake, you're not Reformed (I assumed by your theology), ...but, obviously, you hold to some Reformed views, as in Unconditional Election, Irresistible Grace and Perseverance of the Saints. Either way, as long as I get your point....

For all genuine Christians one passage of Scripture which details the certainty of salvation should suffice.
Well, true, if that's all that there was on a particular issue. But, obviously, that is 200% bad hermeneutics under any other situation. Have you ever heard of tota scriptura, or keeping things in context, or let the Bible interpret itself? All these, in one sense or another, refer to the hermeneutical principle of assessing the entirety of Scripture, before making a doctrinal conclusion. To the point that, your remark, was utterly ignorant and subversive. It will invariably lead to bad exegesis.

Enoch111, you are extremely radical, extremely?!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know...what a way for a new member to introduce himself here.....RIGHT:p
I belong to several other Christian forums and this is always a good topic to discuss because Christianity has become such a "FruitbowL" of different doctrines, that I wondered how all of you are sure of your standing with Christ in your choices to be the Christian you are called to be?

You could ask me this too, but I've been a believer in Christ over 40 years, and asked myself that question from the very beginning of my faith, and for many of those years have searched to find the answer for myself. DID I MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE (No I'm not SCREAMING at you-LOL).

Actually, in my own faith and walk, I have had to change some things over time, as I heard things said, and saw things done and read things in the bible I hadn't seen before, or maybe hadn't understood until then. Not just changes in what I believed, but even how I should live out my faith actively in what I do.

Be nice to hear from you.

My name is OLIGOS.
The scriptural method to qualify as saved is in this sequence.....

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned....

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

....and the Holy Ghost will keep you saved after water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, mixed with faith, saves you.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think there is a lot of confusion between faith and hope. Faith is something to live in right now...along with love. The the future belongs to hope...a living hope.

2 Co 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

Last edited:

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one will be finally saved until death of course. As the saying goes I have been saved, I am being saved, I will be saved
12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Reactions: marks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know...what a way for a new member to introduce himself here.....RIGHT:p
I belong to several other Christian forums and this is always a good topic to discuss because Christianity has become such a "FruitbowL" of different doctrines, that I wondered how all of you are sure of your standing with Christ in your choices to be the Christian you are called to be?

You could ask me this too, but I've been a believer in Christ over 40 years, and asked myself that question from the very beginning of my faith, and for many of those years have searched to find the answer for myself. DID I MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE (No I'm not SCREAMING at you-LOL).

Actually, in my own faith and walk, I have had to change some things over time, as I heard things said, and saw things done and read things in the bible I hadn't seen before, or maybe hadn't understood until then. Not just changes in what I believed, but even how I should live out my faith actively in what I do.

Be nice to hear from you.

My name is OLIGOS.
Hello Oligos, ....first & foremost, I don't believe that anyone knows whether they are saved or not until Judgement Day. Meaning, the race is not over yet, and thus, one can lose their faith.
So that, if you were to ask me right now, if I am saved, I would say 'yes', that at the moment, i have met the requirements for salvation.
Which, is to be repentative of our sins, defiance and disobedience towards God. And, to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords, the first-born of creation, and the first-born from the dead.
But, what tomorrow will bring, as far as my convictions towards Christ are concerned, that, I do not know.
For I feel that if God really wanted to (eg; if I get over-confident in my salvation), he could really, really, really put me to the test and make me renounce my faith.
I'm not that strong, wise or faithful, and he is omni-wise and omnipotent (he knows exactly where my Achilles' heel is).

In regard to proving one's faith, in essence, I do not believe that one's belief is that evident. No one really knows who is convicted enough, and with endurance.
Overt and willful sinning, would seem apparent that the offender is not a true believer.
But outside of the obvious antithetical behaviour towards the Gospel and God's precepts, no one knows who is faithful enough, and will last till their final hour. Of which, the final hour is either upon their death bed, or until Christ's return, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy