How do you 'strive' or wish to be like Jesus Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"having fun with no money" is something that is rare these days, i guess. It is pretty hard to just sit and be content for even ten minutes; or at least it was for me
This is how I enjoyed my early childhood. I was not an only child, but for the most part I played by myself with marbles or rocks or whatever what was on hand for no money and played in my own little dream world. When money became more of a factor I began to lose ground with my enjoyment of things.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is how I enjoyed my early childhood. I was not an only child, but for the most part I played by myself with marbles or rocks or whatever what was on hand for no money and played in my own little dream world. When money became more of a factor I began to lose ground with my enjoyment of things.
Now in my walk with God I follow a similar pathway, as a child, but no longer childish. And there it is that He meets with me.
Give God the glory!

Last edited:
Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once I asked God about something that puzzled me. I said Lord, the Bible always talks about the right arm of the Lord, the arm of the Lord is exalted and so forth. Why doesn't it mention your left hand or arm?

With characteristic humor mixed with wisdom He replied "I've never found anything so difficult that it would require me use the other hand". I laughed but He was referencing His immeasurable power. Yet he throttles it down to touch us in the gentlest of ways.

Once on a summer morn I had arisen at daylight to cut winter wood before the heat of the day grew too oppressive. As I rested from my labors sitting against a felled tree, I watched as a monarch butterfly floated silently by me only a few feet away. It's beauty and silence were synonymous. As I watched it zigzaging away the Lord spoke: "compared to my Holy Spirit that butterfly is vicious".

I tried to grasp the worst violence a butterfly could commit. Such gentleness is beyond our comprehension. God never uses more force upon us than required. Though we are sons, daughters yet we too must learn obedience through the things we suffer. Our suffering many times is when we ignorantly kick against the goads He has set.

If my son listened to my counsel then well. But after repeated attempts to change something in his life by counsel fail, then a blow. If we learn to yield quickly we save ourselves much grief. Learning to recognize when He is doing something in us is the key. Depending on how quickly we recognize His hand we can avoid many repeated lessons. The length of time required to discern His moves varies with each of us. The astute learn quickly while the stubborn, the undisciplined will take longer.

For my own self I can say I was dumb as a post in many areas and quick in others. The hard lessons I learned were due to my own lack of discernment. Not understanding what He wanted me to do. When I finally learned this He didn't have to show me again! I'm certain you can relate to at least some of this. Thank God for the Scriptures;

Hebrews 12:7 KJVS
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

AND....

2 Peter 3:15 KJVS
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Mainly I don't concern myself anymore with how good I'm doing at becoming conformed to His image. Oh I care greatly, but have learned He will bring me by the way that He has made just for me. He has made a way just for you and will bring you along as He sees fit as you yield yourself to Him.

Isaiah 42:16 KJVS
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6 NASB

Thank God that He is, STILL dealing with you. Teaching, comforting, rebuking, leading, chastising even scourging, wounding and binding up. He is dealing with us as sons. You don't put that effort into strangers.

Last edited:

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Frank Lee Hello Frank....what a wonderful post.....For one thing, I am so glad to see someone else, who sees His wonderful sense of humor as well as the way He showed you something about His Holy spirit....with me He showed it as if it was an sea anemone....also once I was given a very quick glimpse of His Holyness, and it completely floored me as I then realized that no matter how 'good' I could try to make myself, it would still be a million miles or more removed from what His good is....And the purity !...Oh my my, that was indescribable.... Thank you so much Frank, it is wonderful to get these sort of confirmations from other believers.. :)

Reactions: Frank Lee

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
How do you 'strive' or wish to be like Jesus Christ?
There are other characteristics of Jesus Christ you may resonate with.
How do you wish to be like Jesus Christ?

Hebrews 12
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Once I asked God about something that puzzled me. I said Lord, the Bible always talks about the right arm of the Lord, the arm of the Lord is exalted and so forth. Why doesn't it mention your left hand or arm?

With characteristic humor mixed with wisdom He replied "I've never found anything so difficult that it would require me use the other hand". I laughed but He was referencing His immeasurable power. Yet he throttles it down to touch us in the gentlest of ways.

Once on a summer morn I had arisen at daylight to cut winter wood before the heat of the day grew too oppressive. As I rested from my labors sitting against a felled tree, I watched as a monarch butterfly floated silently by me only a few feet away. It's beauty and silence were synonymous. As I watched it zigzaging away the Lord spoke: "compared to my Holy Spirit that butterfly is vicious".

I tried to grasp the worst violence a butterfly could commit. Such gentleness is beyond our comprehension. God never uses more force upon us than required. Though we are sons, daughters yet we too must learn obedience through the things we suffer. Our suffering many times is when we ignorantly kick against the goads He has set.

If my son listened to my counsel then well. But after repeated attempts to change something in his life by counsel fail, then a blow. If we learn to yield quickly we save ourselves much grief. Learning to recognize when He is doing something in us is the key. Depending on how quickly we recognize His hand we can avoid many repeated lessons. The length of time required to discern His moves varies with each of us. The astute learn quickly while the stubborn, the undisciplined will take longer.

For my own self I can say I was dumb as a post in many areas and quick in others. The hard lessons I learned were due to my own lack of discernment. Not understanding what He wanted me to do. When I finally learned this He didn't have to show me again! I'm certain you can relate to at least some of this. Thank God for the Scriptures;

Hebrews 12:7 KJVS
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

AND....

2 Peter 3:15 KJVS
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Mainly I don't concern myself anymore with how good I'm doing at becoming conformed to His image. Oh I care greatly, but have learned He will bring me by the way that He has made just for me. He has made a way just for you and will bring you along as He sees fit as you yield yourself to Him.

Isaiah 42:16 KJVS
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6 NASB

Thank God that He is, STILL dealing with you. Teaching, comforting, rebuking, leading, chastising even scourging, wounding and binding up. He is dealing with us as sons. You don't put that effort into strangers.
Know just how you feel

Reactions: Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beyond all our imaginations is His grace. My wonder is that He didn't give up on me long ago. His love is beyond our expression. A made thing, a mere clay pot like us trying to understand the greatness of the potter is the greatest excercise in futility there is.

As to His sense of humor just look at nature and the creatures. I've heard the mirth in His voice before. Sleeping and with John the Baptist in mind being also a prophet, He spoke "that hair shirt gets itchy when it gets dry doesn't it"!

I laughed aloud and my wife awakened, asked "what are you laughing at"? "The Lord just told me a joke" I I said.

I was reading of John the Baptist and asked "Lord how can I keep from losing my head"? Right back He said "put it in a safe place". I laughed but understood. Keep your head in Jesus to avoid losing it.

A friend pointed out something that happened while Jesus was in the garden with the disciples. When the bad guys showed up asking for Jesus he told them "I am He". The power of God Slammed them to the ground. While they lay there Jesus says again in effect "Now who did you say you were looking for"? Funny when you consider what was going through their minds.

He's the same yesterday today and forever. As He walked with and conversed with the disciples, the people, He was not filled with heaviness or austerity. The people, the children gathered around Him. He was and is filled with life and is so approachable.

Who has a God like ours?!

For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the Lord our God whenever we call on Him?
Deuteronomy 4:7 NASB

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Hepburn