How do you 'strive' or wish to be like Jesus Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering, that's all.
I think we will find different angles...like the 5 blind men touching an elephant when asked
to describe what an elephant is...one saying it is like a big tree trunk, another at its tail says it's like rope,
while another says it is like a big leathery flap at its ear..and so on.

To get things started...he went off in solitude so often to commune with his Father...
Getting away from the crowds, even going so deep in contemplation (?), alone for 40 days, arriving out of the wilderness
with clear revelations regarding the Kingdom ..always retreating to be with his Father.
This inner connecting to God Himself, sometimes called Practicing the Presence, praying, meditation...
with the subsequent insights given is how I wish to be like Jesus Christ.

After that, everything else falls into place...naturally loving people, happiness and peace of mind,
understanding so much of God's Nature and how His Creation works, a natural flowing of generousity, patience, kindness and confidence.
having the desire to heal and teach from deep wisdom...and so on.

There are other characteristics of Jesus Christ you may resonate with.
How do you wish to be like Jesus Christ?

Are you successful? Do you fail? If so, why do you think you do? Things like that can be talked about here.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I found a long time ago, the harder I work the less work He does, I also had to take Him out of my box and let God be God and Jesus be Jesus, than just threw my arms up and , well He started this He must finish it. I have yet to see a piece of clay turn itself into a pot. Im not going to get any glory out of this, its all His. theres....

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"having fun with no money" is something that is rare these days, i guess. It is pretty hard to just sit and be content for even ten minutes; or at least it was for me

Reactions: faithfulness

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My outlook as well. I can do nothing He doesn't give me the power to do. I am nothing He doesn't enable to be. I know nothing He doesn't give me the discernment to understand. I depend on Him for all my needs.

Excellent post.
@Miss Hepburn
This post above pretty much says it for me too.
And also @mjrhealth 's post also.
I don't even try to 'be like' Him... If I do any trying it would be in a standing still and allowing Him to flow Himself into me.
This is a discipline ( so I guess it is a trying in some way re Thread Title)
I think that sometimes we pray too much...when all along we would do better to just shut-up and just Listened!
I believe that when Jesus was out in the wilderness at times, or up some mountain apart ...He was doing much more listening than praying!
And I believe ...He was there getting empowered and refreshed in the Spirit....through His union with God.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think we canget to be like Jesus.
What we can do is to grow in grace, in the ability to trust God, to learn more about him and his word and in so doing make our minds 'bible biased' as in Romans 12:1+2.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the Holy Spirit within us doing the work. If I work at some thing spiritual the worse I get. It's Him in me working. He changes our want to's. It's like when He first saved me and I didn't know what saved was. Some things suddenly and some gradually. He changes your "want to's". I couldn't understand why I didn't want to do things I'd formerly done. It was Jesus in me doing the work. Those first things were easy. The long term harder things are different and He speaks to this in the Bible.

The Lord your God will clear away these nations before you little by little; you will not be able to put an end to them quickly, for the wild beasts would grow too numerous for you. But the Lord your God will deliver them before you, and will throw them into great confusion until they are destroyed.
Deuteronomy 7:22‭-‬23 NASB

After forty years He has made massive changes within both me and my wife in the past two years. It seems as if I live for a long while with no big noticeable changes then He rolls up His sleeves and goes to work inside of me again.

A woman wrote a testimony book and described a dream given her. She was fishing and having great success pulling in one after another. She looked behind her and there was a great pile of fish. Distressed she said "O Lord how can I ever clean all of these"? He told her to let Him do the cleaning.

It's Christ in us doing the work. When we try to change ourselves it becomes religion. False. Something we've put on like a suit. When we relax and let Him do the work it's like the priest's garments which are from the inside out. He gives us His want to's.

Again it's like leaven put into flour. It's working all the time. Little by little. There are seasons of changes He makes. He is the master changer so I'll let Him decide when what and how to change me into what He wants.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
i like that as far as it goes, up to "i am not responsible" though, and no further.
Change your mind is not an empty suggestion, imo
although i agree that when it becomes work, that is maybe a bad sign

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He'll change your mind for you. When we had our children after 14 years we began to think of schooling. Home schooling. At the first it seemed impossible. How can we do this? After time our thinking was changed to "how can we not do this"? We are always responsible to hold onto the new life He has given us. Choose this day who you will serve he commands.

We are always responsible to keep the new ground that is won. He gives the ground, defeats our enemies no matter what kind. He promised to give us the land but we have to walk on it and in it.

Joshua 1:3 KJVS
Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.

Certainly we can resist but that is far from walking in the spirit. Yielding pacifies great offenses. He is the one who changes us from glory to glory.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18 NASB

Me and papa shot a bear but papa shot it! When battling the philistines God put on Gideon like an overcoat and marched into battle.

He gives us the victory and gives us the strength to maintain it but we always must have a willing heart to stay acceptable

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
3763eed71fe5eeaafa3dfdfa06c309f3.jpg

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Joshua 1:3 KJVS
Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.

Certainly we can resist but that is far from walking in the spirit. Yielding pacifies great offenses. He is the one who changes us from glory to glory.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18 NASB

Me and papa shot a bear but papa shot it! When battling the philistines God put on Gideon like an overcoat and marched into battle.

A perfect balance of 'both sides' We cannot live in only one side...but both.
Right foot and left foot.

We place our foot...He brings forth the victory...without our step in faith there can be no victory. Co-workers with Him...

And Yet...without the "beholding" moment by moment we have no vision thus perish. Beholding reminds us who we are 'in Him'.

I like your reminder that "God clothed Himself with Gideon"...I remember the thrill I had the first time I heard that one preached...
" Me and papa shot a bear...." love it! :)

Did you see the movie- "The Bear"....I remember that wonderful scene when the cougar or whatever it was, looked like it was going to kill the baby bear...the young bear stood on it's tiny back leg and roared...unbeknown to him , the big old Grizzly who had adopted him was raised up to full hight right behind him...the Cougar turn and left...the little bear thought he had done it! :) Perfect picture of the Co-working with Christ...we must take the first step...but the power and victory is all His. ✟

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I don't think we canget to be like Jesus.
What we can do is to grow in grace, in the ability to trust God, to learn more about him and his word and in so doing make our minds 'bible biased' as in Romans 12:1+2.
You mean to love God and people?...short version...
If something else...pls elaborate . ☺
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Reactions: faithfulness

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
I really am picky about commandments vs anything else...pretty words, advice, clues,suggestions uttered by Jesus, directions..hints are all over...vague parables letting someone with esrs to hear...all diff from commands or commandments..
Me? I do treat them the same...:D.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is unusual.

A reply from you that I can agree with. Are you feeling alright?
mmm am I in my right mind?

Where did I put the 'dried frog pills'?

Reactions: Helen