How does an adult become a Catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek "euchomai" and its cognate "proseuchomai" are standard NT words for "prayer." Note how Luke uses "euchomai" to refer to the prayer to Paul of a visionary man who is not physically present with Paul. The visionary Macedonian man "prayed ("euchomai") to him [Paul, not God!], saying, "Come over into Macedonia and help us (Acts 16:9--KJV)." This "prayer" triggers Paul's first mission trip to Europe! The analogy with praying to deceased saints is obvious. Such examples could be multiplied for OT Hebrew words for "prayer" to both God and humans.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek "euchomai" and its cognate "proseuchomai" are standard NT words for "prayer." Note how Luke uses "euchomai" to refer to the prayer to Paul of a visionary man who is not physically present with Paul. The visionary Macedonian man "prayed ("euchomai") to him [Paul, not God!], saying, "Come over into Macedonia and help us (Acts 16:9--KJV)."

Referencing a foreign language is a dead giveaway that you've lost the argument.

A statement of history is not the same thing as a command by God or his Anointed. How should we pray? Jesus said to our Father in heaven.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now for a Catholic related thread of a different kind, I did ask this question on another thread, but didn't really get a proper answer for it. I am just asking out of interest.

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic? Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic? Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

@BreadOfLife @Philip James @Illuminator @theefaith @Mungo @soul @devin553344
The process for an adult to become a Catholic is to not read the Bible and believe the priest.

This is AKA voluntary scriptural ignorance.

This is usually spurred on by a family member or potential spouse.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The process for an adult to become a Catholic is to not read the Bible and believe the priest.

This is AKA voluntary scriptural ignorance.

This is usually spurred on by a family member or potential spouse.

Truther whether if we agree or disagree, Catholics somehow back up everything with scripture, if you also look at the Catechism it looks like they back everything up with scripture. And I think they are meant to read the Bible.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truther whether if we agree or disagree, Catholics somehow back up everything with scripture, if you also look at the Catechism it looks like they back everything up with scripture. And I think they are meant to read the Bible.
Take it from a former Catholic(me).

They don't read the Bible.

They read commentary and what areas of the Bible the Priest allows.

Even my grandmother had an exclusive Catholic O.T. Bible(not N.T. as protestants use).

This was assigned to her by the church to keep her in scriptural darkness.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But asking one person to pray for you in no way violates Christ’s mediatorship, as can be seen from considering the way in which Christ is a mediator. First, Christ is a unique mediator between man and God because he is the only person who is both God and man. He is the only bridge between the two, the only God-man. But that role as mediator is not compromised in the least by the fact that others intercede for us. Furthermore, Christ is a unique mediator between God and man because he is the mediator of the New Covenant (Heb. 9:15, 12:24), just as Moses was the mediator (Greek mesitas) of the Old Covenant (Gal. 3:19–20).

The intercession of fellow Christians—which is what the saints in heaven are—also clearly does not interfere with Christ’s unique mediatorship because in the four verses immediately preceding 1 Timothy 2:5, Paul says that Christians should intercede:
“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and pleasing to God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim. 2:1–4).
Clearly, then, intercessory prayers offered by Christians on behalf of others is something “good and pleasing to God,” not something infringing on Christ’s role as mediator.
Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? | Catholic Answers
Mary is not Almighty God.

Mary can’t deal with millions of Catholics continually and daily praying to her with requests for her help.

Only God can do that.

You can’t equate millions of requests continuously going up to Mary with asking a friend or acquaintance on earth to pray for you - they couldn’t deal with a million email requests for prayer or a million voice mails daily, either.

And neither can Mary - or anyone else in heaven but God Almighty.

The RCC obviously never considered the implications or impossibility of Mary or saints being prayed to by millions of Catholics worldwide, and in many languages daily.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now for a Catholic related thread of a different kind, I did ask this question on another thread, but didn't really get a proper answer for it. I am just asking out of interest.

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic? Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic? Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

@BreadOfLife @Philip James @Illuminator @theefaith @Mungo @soul @devin553344

Given that the Roman sect does not teach what the book of Romans (that was written to them) says is how to be saved - Romans 10:8-13 - but teaches infant baptism, catechism, confirmation, and eating Jesus in a wafer and drinking His blood to be saved- I’d say that a better question would be, how does an adult Catholic become a Christian?

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mary is not Almighty God.

Mary can’t deal with millions of Catholics continually and daily praying to her with requests for her help.

Only God can do that.

You can’t equate millions of requests continuously going up to Mary with asking a friend or acquaintance on earth to pray for you - they couldn’t deal with a million email requests for prayer or a million voice mails daily, either.

And neither can Mary - or anyone else in heaven but God Almighty.

The RCC obviously never considered the implications or impossibility of Mary or saints being prayed to by millions of Catholics worldwide, and in many languages daily.
Post # 99 that you keep running from:

If being in heaven were like being in the next room, then of course these objections would be valid. A mortal, unglorified person in the next room would indeed suffer the restrictions imposed by the way space and time work in our universe. But the saints are not in the next room, and they are not subject to the time/space limitations of this life.
Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? | Catholic Answers
This does not imply that the saints in heaven therefore must be omniscient, as God is, for it is only through God’s willing it that they can communicate with others in heaven or with us. So your argument is even further off the mark.

only through God’s willing. Saints in heaven (and on earth) have no power in and of themselves. Neither does Mary. read that again.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:19 (NASB) Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness."

We don't have to prove ourselves as Christians or squabble who or what is the True Church.

Reactions: Illuminator

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Given that the Roman sect does not teach what the book of Romans (that was written to them) says is how to be saved - Romans 10:8-13 - but teaches infant baptism, catechism, confirmation, and eating Jesus in a wafer and drinking His blood to be saved- I’d say that a better question would be, how does an adult Catholic become a Christian?

John 3:16 also teaches us how to be saved...

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There’s over a dozen I’ve met in person, who said they got saved despite- not because of - the RCC, and left.
Another snotty off topic remark. Good bye.

ignore-button.png

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To become Catholic, a person goes through a process called the RCIA. RCIA stands for the “Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults”. In RCIA, adults are introduced gradually into the beliefs, worship, and life of the Christian. Each participant has a sponsor, a fully initiated Catholic, to walk him/her through this process.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog

I saw you have came back, welcome back to the site, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you may have became a Catholic as an adult, because I recall you saying in another thread you went to a protestant church at first but did not agree with the way they did communion at that particular Church.
Thank you and yes, i was once lost (Protestant) now i have found The Church spoken of in Scripture

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think the same thing happens when one choses to become a Catholic: they have to be called by God. If a person thinks they have a vocation, a discernment process is initiated. Every diocese has a vocations director. Candidates get a referral from their pastor, followed by one or more interviews, and/or a "Come and See" retreat
Come & See Vocation Promotion Program | Vocation Promotion
https://vocations.ca

I guess the same applies for those interested in becoming monks and nuns?

Status
Not open for further replies.