How does arguing with people about religious beliefs make you feel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I was just wondering... because over my life as a believer I've gotten into it with people about differences in beliefs and when all the back and forth bullshiz was over I always felt super emotionally drained and crappy inside... but it seems like other people can just go back and forth forever and they actually seem to gain energy in the process...

So just wondering how it effects you?

Afterwords do you feel all pumped up and ready to argue some more?

Or are you like me and afterwards you just feel like crap?

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Like crap, i think its bc we gotta teach in the Spirit of meekness and God is just trying to build you up to do it right, i think its his way of telling you that you did it wrong when u feel like crap

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just wondering... because over my life as a believer I've gotten into it with people about differences in beliefs and when all the back and forth bullshiz was over I always felt super emotionally drained and crappy inside... but it seems like other people can just go back and forth forever and they actually seem to gain energy in the process...

Crap - because I realize that the person I am arguing with is using the argument to strengthen his/her own beliefs, not to read anything I have to say. The mormon missionary program is really about the missionaries conversion, not necessarily the people they meet. Also, doctrinal nuances have nothing to do with salvation and often get in the way of sanctification.

I think many Christians feel great after a knock-down, dragged out argument because they have already set it up in their own mind that they are God's warrior out to save Christianity from heresy; there must be a winner and a loser and they can never be the loser. Too bad being a winner in your own mind has everything to do with strengthening the Old Man, rather than sanctifying the True Self.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada

To be a christian believer is pretty much a singular thing between you and your Lord. That is how it is designed. Let him influence you the way he wants. He deals with you exactly the way you are Robbie.

A million Christians will always have a million opinions of what the other million should be doing. Or not doing. That is not Christianity. I have probably just angered a couple of million people by saying that , but I do not really care.

Now that I said that I feel just like crap. If you can figure that out Robbie , you are genius.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Not good
I didn't join this forum to argue but to learn I only usually argue because I don't like the way the Catholiik (spelling used in 39 articles) faith gets treated soemtimes

Reactions: WhiteKnuckle

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
I stay away from the arguments on here because its ridiculous.. There is one Jesus Christ, and he is not divided, and with Jesus there is simplicity not confusion.
Its like what paul said 'for the letter killeth but the Spirit giveth life'.. Alot of people on here try to share wisdom with the letter, I see them Putting the verse numbers to like 100 different verses in one post, instead of building each other up with the Spirit, they think the letter can edify; I just disregard those long carnal posts.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

You can say anything you want, but all it shows is your lack of understanding.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

I think it depends. Too often I get caught up in the argument itself....I reply in kind to those I'm arguing with....thats when I feel like crap and get convicted!

But is it wrong to stand up for the gospel? For the truth as the Bible tells it to us? No....I strongly believe that as Christians we MUST stand for Jesus! But if we do it in the right way...with love, compassion and a heart for both Jesus and those lost or mistaken, then no, I don't feel bad. No matter the ridicule, I will stand for Jesus!

[14] But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, [15] but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, [16] having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
(1 Peter 3:14-16 ESV)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cleaned this mess up, and appropriate warnings have been issued. Let's conduct ourselves as followers of Christ and not men (and women) of the world just out to "be right" or make a point.

Back on topic now. :)

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
I cleaned this mess up, and appropriate warnings have been issued. Let's conduct ourselves as followers of Christ and not men (and women) of the world just out to "be right" or make a point.

Back on topic now. :)

So does this mean that aspen has to remove is signature as well?

I find it a telling indicator when people consider stating easy to find facts as being hateful. Is telling the truth something worthy of punishment?
But any manner of disagreement with out facts is tolerated.

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
If you can't reply to my post in public I see no reason to be concerned about continuing here.
If people incur points against themselves for stating facts about other peoples faith, simply because those people don't like the truth about themselves.
Then there will be no end to the censorship, or biased atmosphere.

I'm certain those that were "offended" ;) by the truth will rejoice, its been their business for many years to silence those that don't toe the line with their faith.

Lets all just stick to telling each other what the other wants to here. Like Jesus will reward you with money!!!!!!!!
I have news for some of you here Jesus is not returning in His second coming with love in His eye for everyone. :(
Oppressing the truth and flattering others with what they want to hear will not change it.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're not going to handle issues on here in someone else's threads. If you need to talk about it, start a thread here: http://www.christianityboard.com/forum/35-christianity-board-helpdesk/

Thanks.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have something else to add...

On a positive note, I think arguing doctrine has helped me clarify my own beliefs - it has also helped me to realize that doctrine is only a small part of Christianity. Love and service fill in 98% of the rest.....

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
I have something else to add...

On a positive note, I think arguing doctrine has helped me clarify my own beliefs - it has also helped me to realize that doctrine is only a small part of Christianity. Love and service fill in 98% of the rest.....

And just what are those beliefs? Thats always been the contention with me about you.
And by the way its not about arguing doctrine its always been about confessing doctrine. You ether believe what your church teaches or you don't.
Are you now going to tell people that you believe they have to be catholic to be saved?
And good luck with the service part maybe you can earn it.

Edit;
And by the way doctrine is not a small part when churches teach you must be a member to be saved now is it.
Doctrine is not a small part when a church teaches that only it can interpret scripture as well.
Why do you come here again trying to down play your hidden faith in your church.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Just a question for people to consider:

What do you suppose Jesus thinks as He looks down on our actions?
Do you suppose He has a heart for the lost...the misdirected, the confused?
How do you think He would respond to those who have "doctrinal truth" but used it with brash superiority and no love?

I don't agree with Catholic doctrine....but what's the point of being spot on doctrinally if we disregard the actions (such as love and kindness) that are supposed to go with it?

I'm not trying to either pick a fight or step into the middle of one, but it saddens me greatly to constantly see people who claim to love Jesus, refuse to show the love that He Himself gives to us.

bud02

Aug 14, 2010

How do you think He would respond to those who have "doctrinal truth" but used it with brash superiority and no love?

I don't agree with Catholic doctrine....but what's the point of being spot on doctrinally if we disregard the actions (such as love and kindness) that are supposed to go with it?

I'm not trying to either pick a fight or step into the middle of one, but it saddens me greatly to constantly see people who claim to love Jesus, refuse to show the love that He Himself gives to us.

Here's the deal rach. aspen makes statements that contradict catholic doctrine. When confronted with that fact he doesn't profess or acknowledge those catholic doctrines.
He then takes issue with it.

Long story short, hes being untruthful about what he believes. And I know of no Catholics that regardless of what sect. that can deny certain doctrinal principles like the ones below. In the other thread he himself said that one was 600 years old. Well I had the evidence posted here that it is still tough today. The truth is catholics loss credibility If people understand what it truly means to be catholic. People like myself can see that their testimony has no merit in light of the catholic doctrine. Thats what upsets aspen and Selene thats why they don't like that information made public.

Now you can say its alright and in love reason with them, but all that will accomplish is allowing them an exit door to avoid the point. As you can see above aspen came back attempting to down play the point. So you go right ahead and tell him its ok. to be disingenuous about what he believes. That would be the loving thing to do right?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have always been kind and straightforward with me Rach, and I have learned a great deal from you. In fact, it has led to several meaningful conversations........this would not have happened without your commitment to sharing the gospel in love. I think we are both better off because of it.

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
You have always been kind and straightforward with me Rach, and I have learned a great deal from you. In fact, it has led to several meaningful conversations........this would not have happened without your commitment to sharing the gospel in love. I think we are both better off because of it.

There you are rach he first flatters you then cashes in on your love message. All the while avoiding the two questions about his faith I asked him above.
Paraphrased; lest just kiss and pretend it never happened. The truth is, If he believes the catholic church dogma he believes your going to hell plain and simple.
All the love in the world will never change the fact that you need to be accepted into the RCC as a member to be saved. For someone like yourself it takes about a years worth of RCIA or the Rite of Christian Initiation. Has he told you that? In your meaningful conversations?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Here's the deal rach. aspen makes statements that contradict catholic doctrine. When confronted with that fact he doesn't profess or acknowledge those catholic doctrines.
He then takes issue with it.

Long story short, hes being untruthful about what he believes. And I know of no Catholics that regardless of what sect. that can deny certain doctrinal principles like the ones below. In the other thread he himself said that one was 600 years old. Well I had the evidence posted here that it is still tough today. The truth is catholics loss credibility If people understand what it truly means to be catholic. People like myself can see that their testimony has no merit in light of the catholic doctrine. Thats what upsets aspen and Selene thats why they don't like that information made public.

Now you can say its alright and in love reason with them, but all that will accomplish is allowing them an exit door to avoid the point. As you can see above aspen came back attempting to down play the point. So you go right ahead and tell him its ok. to be disingenuous about what he believes. That would be the loving thing to do right?

Ok, first...being loving doesn't mean being dumb, weak or a push over. It means being Christ-like. Jesus should be our example in everything....and sure, He never lost a fight, but whenever He spoke to people who were missing the point, He was always compassionate. Firm, straightforward, sure...but never did He belittle them or resort to rudeness.

As I keep saying...I disagree with Catholic doctrine about as much as you do, but my very huge concern is...what I see from your posts is an almost venomous hate towards the Catholic Church. How can this in anyway help to prove your point and bring misled Catholics closer to Biblical truth??

Why would anyone want to listen to a message of "true doctrine" when bitterness is all they're really hearing? I agree with your doctrinal ideas, but brother, you need to bring your love and genuine concern for those who are misguided, up to the same level.

I know you believe that Aspen's claims are inconsistent, and that some of the Catholic Churches teaching are just heretical....but it's not our job to tear down and judge. We need to stand firm for Biblical truth, guiding people back to Jesus and the Scriptures at every turn....but in the end its up to the Holy Spirit to convict and lead, and for Jesus to ultimately judge a persons state of salvation. All we do when we take these jobs onto ourselves is create division and fighting within God's family.

Even now I suspect you will want to argue with me over this, and I ask you, why? Doctrinally you and I believe the same things...all I'm asking of you is to love more. And as Jesus tells us that love...not theology...is THE greatest thing....I wonder why you are fighting this so much? Don't waver on your truth...not at all! But your message can still be the same, and yet be loving...again...we have Jesus to model our behavior off!!