How does one overcome timidity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
As far back as I can remember, I was a very soft spoken child. People always had to ask me 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 times "Huh? ...What did you say? ...I can't hear you?.... Speak up!... Put some base in your voice!" And even today, at age 29, I still get the same responses. If people couldn't guess my orientation from my physical demeaner, they would certainly wonder from the way I talk. I think that's why I talked so low, for the most part, because whenever I talked loudly, my voice would get high!

It is not as bad now. Thankfully, my voice is a little deeper, but it's still very subtle. I have tried my best to have a loud, deep, authoritative voice, but I eventually just gave up on trying, because it doesn't seem to fit my personality. My whole demeaner is meek... not necessarily humble. It's just laid back, passive, subtle, bland, boring. I used to really hate that about myself. I think I'm very boring. There's nothing naturally outstanding or special about my physical appearance, and most times I feel ugly. I can't sing, I can't dance, I'm slow with everything (even as a child, in daycare, I remember I would get my lunch tray taken from me every day, after I was the last kid left with my tray still half full), I can't play any kind of sport. It's like I have no talent. People have usually laughed at me when I tried to play sports, because I look so awkward--and if they don't laugh, they just have a stunned look on their face, or just shake their head in pity. So I just gave up on it.

The only thing that I can do is draw, which people have always complimented me on. At one point, I got a very big head because I (secretly) felt like I was finally good at something. I showed it off like it was gold, and made sure everywhere I went, people knew that I could draw. So now it's like what I'm known for. Now, I'm sick of that because it seems I've been put in a box and now everyone sees me as a drawing machine, like that's all there is to me. So I stopped drawing for a few years. I thought I needed to stop anyway because I didn't like how people were perceiving me--as this stuck up, arrogant, self absorbed person.

At some point in my school days--middle school and mostly highschool, I endeavored to be more authoritative, but I was always unsuccessful. At best, I became this obnoxious, homophobic (pretentiously anyway), semi-effeminate boy. I think I confused people, for the most part. I really just wanted attention and didn't know how to get it, because I had no real self esteem/respect, and there was nothing overtly interesting about me.

The truth is, I am very insecure. One guy told me that I was the most insecure person he had ever seen. I laughed hard because of how straight forward he was, and because of how true it probably was. I don't know if insecure people usually admit, or know they're insecure, but I do know it. I feel like I have no identity of my own, and I have a face for every person and occasion: I've been called fake a time or two... I still live with my mother (which I've also been condemned for), I have no real job, I've never been behind the wheel of an automobile and don't know how to drive, or have a license. I can't fight; I would always either cry or tremble uncontrollably in the face of confrontation. I feel like I have no back-bone. ...One of my aunts once told me that I had lived such a sheltered life that the world would chew me up and spit me out. I agree.

I mentioned in another thread how people always told me I was weird, psycho, or ask what's wrong with me. The last steady job I was on, one of my co-workers--a really funny, loud, outspoken guy, asked me in front of the whole crew, "what's wrong with you?... Something is wrong with you!... Why are you so timid?" That was like a eureka moment, because someone actually called me out on it. I mean people have always seen me as weak, and I’ve been called a “wuss” and a "punk" a few times. Those in my family tend to romanticize and make it something special... "He's so humble," "He's soft spoken," "He's a gentleman," "He's a good boy." But that's what family does: and I also have a very matriarchal family--immediate and extended (so of course, they're going to be softer). But Strangers just call it how they see it. And it's not cute to me. I'm sure that a lot of people see me as a sorry excuse for a man. I've been told it in so many ways, and those who don;t openly say it, I know they're thinking it. My own mother has suggested it on several occasions, even though it's not like she has really pushed me to get an education, or to be more of a man.

I don't want to be weak and timid, because weak people get ran over and used as a doormat. I know first-hand that nice guys do finish last. I think part of why I am like I am is because I don't want to hurt people—although I have (I'm not an angel by any means). But I've learned the hard way that people who don't want to hurt people are the people who get hurt the most. I have thought about just becoming a big conceited jerk who runs over everyone and doesn't care, but I can't be that kind of person. I so envy people who can though.

Although I don't want to be an obnoxious jerk, I don't want to be a pushover either. I really want to be balanced. I know some people will say "Awwe; that's sweet...you're sensitive and artistic..." But it's not “sweet” or cute to me; it's a recipe for being misused, abused, run over, and ultimately disaster!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a soft-spoken introvert, but I am no longer shy. People used to tell me to speak up, as well, and it would make me nervous. Then I became a junior high, youth director - I quickly realized that I could not speak over the combined noise of my kids....so I decided to do the opposite....I simply waited for them to be quite after I made a quick announcement about something they wanted to hear. It worked like a charm.

Then I applied the skill to other people. I try to tell people a short teaser, and then when people are listening, I try to tell them the rest of the story. Basically, I convince people to play at my pace, because I simply cannot compete with loud overbearing people. Over time, it really built up my confidence. I gave a lecture to a group of 100 people last year and got good reviews.

blessings

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I empathize with you, but definitely don't compromise gentleness, humility and compassion. My greatest fear used to be hurting anyone, and I believed for a long time that my life lacked the ability to be a blessing to anyone. The depression and fatalism I let consume my life lead me to the point of death, but God rescued me when I called out to him, as he promises to do so. I have spent my time since then drawing close to God, and receiving his vision and standing on his promises for my life which have restored my hope, confidence, and joy which were stolen from me by the enemy.

You need to discover what is truly important to you, what you would die for. Write them down and speak out your dreams and desires to God. Ask God to reveal his plan for your life through prayer, wise council, and the Word of God. Pray that he would use the desires in your heart to His glory, and when he reveals his plan for you, don't compromise it for anything. If you can stand your ground according to what you believe, then you will be more a man than the rest.

Just remember to be stirred in your spirit by God's wisdom.

Wisdom is the preservation of what has value and the pursuit of what is truth.

I like this vague definition because it causes you to ask, what has value and what is truth? Accepted answers to those two questions that lie outside God's word are called the wisdom of the world. But when you start to understand Jesus' work on the cross; that He is the way, the truth, and the life, and when you begin to value your life and the lives of others according to His love, and when you can start answering those two questions according to the word of God and the Holy Spirit living within you, then you have only just begun to truly live!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Fire-7

Thanks for sharing your personal struggles with us...

I can recall being painfully shy and timid as a child, growing up amongst very talented, outspoken and confident, family members. I know that this sounds like another cliche but you need to find out who you are...but in Christ.

Focusing on God's plan for your life, stops you from being inward looking and helps you to recognize that he made you the way you are for a purpose. When I look back, I can see what God has done with my life which is extrordinary if you knew me back then... :p
I can truly say that he has used every gift and talent that he has given me ...and some, for his Kingdom and his glory...and as I grew in his confidence and security, shyness and timidity just disappeared.

Yes there is always room for personal improvement but when we are founded on the rock which is Jesus, our confidence comes from him and not from ourselves. The bible says that " the Spirit that he has given us does not make us timid but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

I have had the privilege to be used by God on the mission field, as an evangelist - leading many to Christ, preaching and teaching, leading worship teams, leading Prayer teams, counseling and deliverance and so much more...I know that he has so much more for me to do... ^_^

I look forward to his the future plans for my life because I put my trust, my faith and my confidence in God who knows me personally and uses me any way...not because I'm capable but because he is capable..in me!

Hallelujah!
smiley-happy093.gif

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you have gotten some pretty good advice. now here are some ways to work on your speaking. as one of my pastors taught us that she practices her testimony for God by going into the bathroom and speaking to herself in the mirror and using that person in the mirror as the person she is preaching too. now when she talks to herself in the mirror you can hear her throughout the house. now you do not need to be that loud but speaking in front of a mirror is not as easy as it sounds and if you cannot talk to your reflection then you will have an even harder time talking to other people. remember don't just talk to yourself but preach to yourself. find scripture on confidence for example tell your reflection that according to the word of God(pro 3:24-26) that God is my confidence when i lie down i will not be afraid but i will sleep soundly. since the Lord is my confidence i will not be afraid of sudden fear or desolation of the wicked when it comes. all this is basically saying that i will sleep without worrying and i will not fear what others think or say because God is my confidence.
this is just one example and at first it may not feel like anything is happening but the word also says that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. so keep believing and practice telling yourself the truth of what God's word says. for faith without works is dead. after a while you and/or others will start to see results as God starts changing you into his image.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
You have to find the root of the timidity and confront it. Also when you are in that moment make a conscious effort to be assertive and concise with your intentions.

This may sound silly but for something simple like ordering a meal calmly project to the server what meal you would like. Work it out ahead of time and stay focused don't let their thoughts or impressions of you distract you from your goal. Or try shouting at the top of your lungs at the local courthouse that can really turn you into an enthusiastic follower of christ.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
One overcomes timidity when one is baptised with the Holy Spirit,
which has absolutely nothing to do with being born-again (from above).

The Scripture PASSAGES below explain what this baptism is all about.
And the important DETAILS in each passage are shown in the chart below.
Please notice how these details are so inter-connected (linked together) in the chart
(and realize that not all of the details of an event are told every time the event happens).

1 Luke 24:49 ------ 8 Acts 8:14-19
2 Acts 1:4-8 ------ 9 Acts 9:17-18
3 Acts 2:1-4 ----- 10 Romans 15:19
4 Acts 2:33-39 --- 11 Acts 10:44-48
5 Acts 4:8-16 ---- 12 Acts 11:15-17
6 Acts 4:31 ------ 13 Acts 14:3
7 Acts 5:12-16 ----14 Acts 19:5-6

------------------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
the Promise --------Y-Y---Y-------------------------
baptized with HS -----Y-------------Y--------Y-----Y
the gift -----------------Y---------------Y--Y------
upon ---------------Y Y Y---------Y-------Y--Y-----Y
laying on of hands ---------------Y-Y-----------Y--Y
filled with HS ---------Y---Y-Y-----Y---------------
received HS ----------------------Y-------Y---------
speaking tongues -------Y-----------------Y--------Y
power --------------Y-Y-----------Y----Y------------
boldness -------------------Y-Y-----------------Y---
miracles -------------------Y---Y---Y--Y--------Y---

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fire-7... Action over comes fear!

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Great comments here!
Something else you do very well is write! People were not as impressed with the Apostle Paul when they met him in person as they were when he wrote. Your complete honesty is so refreshing! Think how bold you were when you wrote the O. post. You being you without worrying about being judged by someone. Our Father is setting you free! You are an overcomer in the LORD! He knows how you were made and has a plan for your life. Moses was so afraid to speak publically that God let him have Arron to talk for him. God works miraculously in the area's where we are weak! He takes our weakness and makes it his strength. Victory is yours dear brother, just seek Yahweh's face and trust him for the miracles in your life. Gods strength is made perfect in weakness! This is when we know we can't so we have to rely on him 100%. I am praying for you daily dear brother. Think on the things you do well and trust God for the rest. Let him guide your steps! He is not the one who thunders at you making you feel worthless. That is the evil one trying to destroy you dear Brother. Jesus wants to be closer than a brother to you. You are special! It is not wrong for us to be proud of doing a good job on something either. When you draw it is for Gods glory since he gave you that special talent. Don't quit, just ask him to change you to make your attitude one of a greatful servant, praising him for the gifts he gave you! You are compassionate and not a victim! Ask Our father for the empowering of His Holy Spirit! May our Father Yahweh bless you richly and protect you from the evil one!

Reactions: Angelina