How does the Body of Christ Mature?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, the OT Prophets did preach repentance, however I think it was National Repentance. John the Baptist preached personal repentance as to the people receiving Christ as their Messiah.

I would like to hear your thoughts too.
The thing which differentiated John from all the other prophets is that his message was repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
In the Hebrew economy, forgiveness of sins was only possible if they brought a lamb to the sanctuary and slaughtered it after confessing their sins over it. Confession didn't necessarily mean repentance although it did imply it.

So here we have the graduation....
1...The Hebrews under the Prophets were required to slaughter a lamb and confess to access forgiveness
2...John's message did not require a lamb to be slaughtered for forgiveness.....repentance only was required and baptism was its, how shall I say? its confirmation.
3....Jesus comes along and requires neither the slaughtering of a lamb, repentance or baptism before he will forgive. This is clearly illustrated in his healing of the paralytic. See the story here, Matthew 9:1-8

Sooo, John was the forerunner of Jesus. It was a step between offering a lamb and the pronouncement of Jesus's forgiveness with a word. This 'ratcheting' around (if I can call it that) for forgiveness is something the Prophets never understood.

Jesus introduced the heart of God (gratuity) the likes of which had never been heard of before. It was the epitome of his Kingdom. His parables illustrated this. Jesus dying words, 'Father forgive them for they know not what they do' shows us further that God's affection toward even those murdering him was unparalleled with anything man could think of or invent.

It was also a direct threat to the Hebrew economy, ie it undermined a good business......a good reason in their thinking to get rid of him also.

Reactions: Marilyn C and marks

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does the Body of Christ Mature.

The Apostle Paul gave the early disciples the whole counsel of God. They were taught the full revelation of Christ, His character and His purposes.

`For I (Paul) have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.` (Acts 20: 27)

Here is a summary of the main truths, then the errors that came in and finally the restoring of those truths through the centuries.

1. Ministry gifts (Eph. 4: 11) - Bishops were substituted. (AD 110)

2. Holy Spirit infilling and gifts - Formalisation of worship. (3rd C)

3. Holiness - Amalgamation of Church and State. (AD 323)

4. Baptism for believers - Infant Sprinkling. (6th C)

5. Justification by Faith - Penance Indulgence. (AD 1063 / Dark Ages)

6. Reformation, Lutheran - Justification by Faith. (1517)

7. Baptist - Full Immersion. (1608)

8. Methodist - Holiness. (1738)

9. Pentecostal - Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. (1906)

10. Apostolic - Christ`s ministries (Eph. 4: 11) (1916) & the Eternal Purposes.

Christ`s ministries, (apostle, prophet, teacher, pastor, evangelist) develop the believers and the whole Body into spiritual maturity and understanding. They stimulate the perfecting of the `Christ life` and promote the function and ministry of each member in the Body.

When Christ ascended `He gave some (people) to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ,

Till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ......may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ.` (Eph. 4: 11 - 15)

you forgot Catholic!

the one true church is
One, holy, catholic, and apostolic from the first coming to the second coming!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Scott,

Actually, Jesus said a tad more -

`Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than Joh the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.` (Matt. 11: 11)

Now there is an interesting puzzle.
Simply put: The best born of the flesh is less than any born of the spirit of God.

Reactions: Marilyn C and marks

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you forgot Catholic!

the one true church is
One, holy, catholic, and apostolic from the first coming to the second coming!
I haven't seen you post anything convincing theefaith, in spite of your constantly repetitive barking :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The thing which differentiated John from all the other prophets is that his message was repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
In the Hebrew economy, forgiveness of sins was only possible if they brought a lamb to the sanctuary and slaughtered it after confessing their sins over it. Confession didn't necessarily mean repentance although it did imply it.

1...The Hebrews under the Prophets were required to slaughter a lamb and confess to access forgiveness
2...John's message did not require a lamb to be slaughtered for forgiveness.....repentance only was required and baptism was its, how shall I say? its confirmation.
3....Jesus comes along and requires neither the slaughtering of a lamb, repentance or baptism before he will forgive. This is clearly illustrated in his healing of the paralytic. See the story here, Matthew 9:1-8

Sooo, John was the forerunner of Jesus. It was a step between offering a lamb and the pronouncement of Jesus's forgiveness with a word. This 'ratcheting' around (if I can call it that) for forgiveness is something the Prophets never understood.

Jesus introduced the heart of God (gratuity) the likes of which had never been heard of before. It was the epitome of his Kingdom. His parables illustrated this. Jesus dying words, 'Father forgive them for they know not what they do' shows us further that God's affection toward even those murdering him was unparalleled with anything man could think of or invent.

It was also a direct threat to the Hebrew economy, ie it undermined a good business......a good reason in their thinking to get rid of him also.
Sooooo, what has happened to the whole Hebrew system which it appears God initiated (brought into operation) ie, the Law, the Prophets, the Psalms?

People took the information and made a religion out of the formalities themselves, even distorted them and worshipped the formality rather than what the formalities were a symbol of. It is done no differently within Christian circles today. The objective, whether it be of Law or Prophecy is lost or distorted with the spin of a thousand hues.

I personally make jest of the 'hues' ....not quiet as boldly as Elijah on Mt Carmel, but nevertheless jest because for the most part, that's all I see it's worth. Yes, it offends people (some) but so did a black man walking into a white man's establishment not so many years back.

Jesus is The Man which the purpose of all scripture points to. Unless we can interpret scripture through this lens, we are in error.

We can bark about Baptism, about the Sabbath, about Mary, about the return of the Jews to Palestine, about Prophecies....and about every other thing in scripture that opens and shuts but unless we have (understand/know) it's core, it amounts to nothing but tinkling brass and clanging cymbals.....and flattered egos.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Thank you quietthinker, that was very informative.