How does the Body of Christ Mature?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How does the Body of Christ Mature.

The Apostle Paul gave the early disciples the whole counsel of God. They were taught the full revelation of Christ, His character and His purposes.

`For I (Paul) have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.` (Acts 20: 27)

Here is a summary of the main truths, then the errors that came in and finally the restoring of those truths through the centuries.

1. Ministry gifts (Eph. 4: 11) - Bishops were substituted. (AD 110)

2. Holy Spirit infilling and gifts - Formalisation of worship. (3rd C)

3. Holiness - Amalgamation of Church and State. (AD 323)

4. Baptism for believers - Infant Sprinkling. (6th C)

5. Justification by Faith - Penance Indulgence. (AD 1063 / Dark Ages)

6. Reformation, Lutheran - Justification by Faith. (1517)

7. Baptist - Full Immersion. (1608)

8. Methodist - Holiness. (1738)

9. Pentecostal - Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. (1906)

10. Apostolic - Christ`s ministries (Eph. 4: 11) (1916) & the Eternal Purposes.

Christ`s ministries, (apostle, prophet, teacher, pastor, evangelist) develop the believers and the whole Body into spiritual maturity and understanding. They stimulate the perfecting of the `Christ life` and promote the function and ministry of each member in the Body.

When Christ ascended `He gave some (people) to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ,

Till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ......may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ.` (Eph. 4: 11 - 15)

Reactions: marks

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Apostle Paul gave the early disciples the whole counsel of God. They were taught the full revelation of Christ, His character and His purposes.

`For I (Paul) have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.` (Acts 20: 27)

Here is a summary of the main truths, then the errors that came in and finally the restoring of those truths through the centuries.

2. Holy Spirit infilling and gifts - Formalisation of worship. (3rd C)

Christ`s ministries, (apostle, prophet, teacher, pastor, evangelist) develop the believers and the whole Body into spiritual maturity and understanding. They stimulate the perfecting of the `Christ life` and promote the function and ministry of each member in the Body.

When Christ ascended `He gave some (people) to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ,

Till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ......may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ.` (Eph. 4: 11 - 15)

Without the Spirit of Christ we don't even belong to Christ. Romans 8:9. And the Holy Spirit plants the fruit of the Spirit in us, so maturing them is how we grow. Peter said it best, and verses 5-7 should be memorized and preached by every denomination if we really want to go to heaven. Read carefully and slowly. Let it all sink in. I will memorize it all! How many will join me?

2 Peter 1:2-11
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Fruitful Growth in the Faith
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Marilyn C

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Without the Spirit of Christ we don't even belong to Christ. Romans 8:9. And the Holy Spirit plants the fruit of the Spirit in us, so maturing them is how we grow. Peter said it best, and verses 5-7 should be memorized and preached by every denomination if we really want to go to heaven. Read carefully and slowly. Let it all sink in. I will memorize it all! How many will join me?

2 Peter 1:2-11
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Fruitful Growth in the Faith
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Thank you 1stCenturyLady,

That is a very needed truth concerning the Divine nature to us personally.

regards, Marilyn.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would just like to make the comment that there are two areas of maturity -

1. For the individual. (Note good comments above.)

2. For the whole Body of Christ. (See OP).

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Holy Spirit infilling and gifts - Formalisation of worship. (3rd C)

I find the premise for your thread to be very thought-provoking. There certainly is a transition from the initial introduction of Gospel truths to pagan societies to an officially-Christian Society. Obviously, a pagan, to convert to Christ, would get baptized immediately, rather than submit to a formal process. One would not, for example, wait as a Christian child before getting baptized as an adult.

But the phases you listed do indicate that as Christianity became a "Civilization" a more professional class of Christian emerged. And that always confuses the element of spirituality in Christianity with belief. They are not the same.

So attempts to remedy these things you point out fairly well. I don't, however, think that it is such an easy contrast, since true Christian spirituality is often a process, a transition. And I don't believe an exchange of formal processes is any guarantee of a change in spirituality. For example, people may go from child-hood sprinkling to full immersion and still not make the full transition to Christian repentance and spirituality. Thanks, though!

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I find the premise for your thread to be very thought-provoking. There certainly is a transition from the initial introduction of Gospel truths to pagan societies to an officially-Christian Society. Obviously, a pagan, to convert to Christ, would get baptized immediately, rather than submit to a formal process. One would not, for example, wait as a Christian child before getting baptized as an adult.

But the phases you listed do indicate that as Christianity became a "Civilization" a more professional class of Christian emerged. And that always confuses the element of spirituality in Christianity with belief. They are not the same.

So attempts to remedy these things you point out fairly well. I don't, however, think that it is such an easy contrast, since true Christian spirituality is often a process, a transition. And I don't believe an exchange of formal processes is any guarantee of a change in spirituality. For example, people may go from child-hood sprinkling to full immersion and still not make the full transition to Christian repentance and spirituality. Thanks, though!

Hi Randy,

That`s good that you are thinking about this. And yes, the confusion of organized religion with the true spiritual organism. Glad you pointed that important point out.

We need to also realize that there is the individual maturing a well as the corporate maturing of the spiritual organism known as the Body of Christ.

`....for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect (mature) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 12 & 13)

I will write some more detail....

Marilyn.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How does the Body Mature.

For over 2000 years the Body of Christ has been growing to maturity. At first the believers were tested as false teachings arose. Then we see that the Holy Spirit brings the truth and believers stand firm. Here are the significant stages of the Holy Spirit guiding the Body of believers into all the truth of Christ and His purposes.

1. The Early Believers. (AD Pentecost - 3rd century)

This is the time of the early Body of Christ. It began on the day of Pentecost by the Holy Spirit, and the believers continued steadfastly in the Apostle`s doctrine.

` And they (believers) continued steadfastly in the Apostle`s doctrine (teaching) and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in prayers......and breaking bread from house to house, the ate their food with gladness of heart. `(Acts 2: 42 & 46)

The believers shared food, fellowship, and prayed together joyfully. There was no man made religious organisations, for the Holy Spirit enabled each to share. (Col. 3: 16)

Paul warned the believers that after he was gone there would come in evil men who would bring in false doctrines that would scatter the flock. This was the time when false teachers, prophets and apostles arose.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2. Formalism - Dark Ages. (3rd C - 1500`s)

It wasn`t long before there was a gradual decline in understanding of truth. Bishops substituted for Apostles, and formalism instead of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The gatherings became formal and institutionalised, connecting even to the State. Other errors were - infant baptism instead of for adult believers and penance indulgences for salvation instead of belief in Christ. This continued for many centuries.

`For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.` (Acts 20: 29)

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
3. Awakening of Spiritual Truth. (1500`s - 1900)

Although there were very formal and rigid meetings, many people still had a living faith. These believers were often persecuted and many died as martyrs.

In the 1500`s there was a significant spiritual awakening amongst some of the believers. They gathered together in houses and believed in Jesus as their Saviour and Lord.

Later many came to the revelation of their need to be baptised in water as an outward sign of their confession of faith in Jesus as Lord and saviour.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
4. Growing in Truth. (1900 - 2000)

At the beginning of the 1900`s there was another significant stage of growth in the Body of Christ. God`s Holy Spirit awakened people to a deeper understanding and walk with Him.

Then in the `60`s & `70`s across the Body of Christ many people came to a fuller understanding of the Holy Spirit.

`there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit...for one is given the word of wisdom...to another the word of knowledge...faith.....healings....miracles... ....prophecy...discerning of spirits...` (1 Cor. 12: 4 - 11)

Later in the `90`s the five ministries of Christ were more readily recognised than before.

`Christ.... gave some (people) to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints...` (Eph. 4: 11 & 12)

Many false ministries arose and `lorded it over` the people, often amassing huge fortunes. Also many false teachings abounded promising, prosperity, success, name it and claim it, and motivational speakers appealing to people`s pride.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
5. Maturity. (2000 - 202.... ?)

Now in the new century, the Body of Christ is in the final stage to maturity. This involves recognising that Christ is Head of the Body and not man.

`Let no one defraud you of your reward....and not holding fast to the Head, from who all the Body,....grows....from God.` (Col. 2: 18 & 19)

We can see whether a leader is operating under Christ for they will have a father and mother heart, but not `lording it over` others.

`Paul, Silvanus and Timothy.....we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children....you know how we exhorted and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children.` (1 Thess. 1, 7, 12)

`Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by constraint but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly, nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock...` (1 Peter 5: 2 & 3)

The believers are to be waiting eagerly, looking expectantly for the coming for the Lord. This is a very important attitude as many will be too busy about their earthly cares and material possessions.

`To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time,..`(Heb. 9: 28)

`...exhorting one another and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.` (Heb. 10: 25)

Many will gather in houses as the early believers did and thus we have come full circle.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What an interesting thread. I have always considered that as each individual grows the church itself matures, as we are the church. I have never considered it beyond the individual.
The one thing I am aware of is the fact that many are being called out of the physical churches, I was challenged over some years about how church was done and the attitudes within the ones I had been a part of over many many years ( evangelical and baptist )
All the man made rules that had crept in and the awareness that we often made our plans and then prayed, it should have been the other way around. Also the battle between those who wanted to be led and use the Holy Spirit to those who wanted things ‘ as they use to be in the olden days ‘ ………..
I need to read what you have written, it’s a day off today so I have a bit more time xx

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some good questions there. God began His program with a nation, Israel. So we should expect the same thing was to happen when the Church branched out from Israel into other nations. The result was Christian States.

I catch a lot of flak for this for precisely the same reason you throw cold water on the institutionalization of the Church. There is a watering down of organic Christianity when it is formalized. I would quickly assert that formalizing and institutionalizing Christianity is not the problem. It is the inclusion of half-hearted Christian individuals that is always the problem. And I'm not sure it can be avoided.

So we have the question: if the State as an organization always fails to capture the "true organization" of the Church, then what form should it properly take if it is to show maturity? I've studied the work of Maureen Gaglardi, who wrote books on the Tabernacle and on the High Priestly Garments. She tried to show that these symbols reflected a progressive maturity in the Church, distinct from political organizations. They rather reflect spiritual movements, often depicted in the denominations that developed.

For example, she argue that after Catholicism became diluted and needed reform, Luther's Justification by Faith came along to produce a new movement that indicated a maturing of the concept of Faith. Following that Wesley's Sanctification came along to emphasize the need not just for faith in Christ but also for holiness from Christ. After that we get the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, reflecting the need to not just be holy but to also minister in the supernatural power of Christ.

But can we say that these denominations reflect a progressive maturity? Or, are they just movements correcting the weaknesses of earlier movements and emphasis on areas that meet the needs of modern Christians?

Personally, I think that the nation model has never gone away. Each nation seems to have chosen its own model movement. And these spiritual movements tend to take place either with the formal Church in each nation or apart from it. We still will have the problem of maintaining a consistent morality and spirituality within the entire nation, as opposed to letting the whole nation be abandoned to paganism. Jeremiah continued to speak God's word to the end, even as the nation Israel completely collapsed into idolatry and apostasy.

Are we to expect any new moves of God? Certainly! God is always speaking. The process of maturing will always be important, as long as there are Christians who need to progress in their spirituality.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some good questions there. God began His program with a nation, Israel. So we should expect the same thing was to happen when the Church branched out from Israel into other nations. The result was Christian States.

I catch a lot of flak for this for precisely the same reason you throw cold water on the institutionalization of the Church. There is a watering down of organic Christianity when it is formalized. I would quickly assert that formalizing and institutionalizing Christianity is not the problem. It is the inclusion of half-hearted Christian individuals that is always the problem. And I'm not sure it can be avoided.

So we have the question: if the State as an organization always fails to capture the "true organization" of the Church, then what form should it properly take if it is to show maturity? I've studied the work of Maureen Gaglardi, who wrote books on the Tabernacle and on the High Priestly Garments. She tried to show that these symbols reflected a progressive maturity in the Church, distinct from political organizations. They rather reflect spiritual movements, often depicted in the denominations that developed.

For example, she argue that after Catholicism became diluted and needed reform, Luther's Justification by Faith came along to produce a new movement that indicated a maturing of the concept of Faith. Following that Wesley's Sanctification came along to emphasize the need not just for faith in Christ but also for holiness from Christ. After that we get the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, reflecting the need to not just be holy but to also minister in the supernatural power of Christ.

But can we say that these denominations reflect a progressive maturity? Or, are they just movements correcting the weaknesses of earlier movements and emphasis on areas that meet the needs of modern Christians?

Personally, I think that the nation model has never gone away. Each nation seems to have chosen its own model movement. And these spiritual movements tend to take place either with the formal Church in each nation or apart from it. We still will have the problem of maintaining a consistent morality and spirituality within the entire nation, as opposed to letting the whole nation be abandoned to paganism. Jeremiah continued to speak God's word to the end, even as the nation Israel completely collapsed into idolatry and apostasy.

Are we to expect any new moves of God? Certainly! God is always speaking. The process of maturing will always be important, as long as there are Christians who need to progress in their spirituality.

Hi Randy,

I think we can agree that the denominations tend to try and contain the truth that the Holy Spirit has clarified. However, we have the Lord`s own purpose that His Body will be led into ALL TRUTH.

`.....when He the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth....` (John 16: 13)

Then the Lord tells us that He will mature His Body -

`...till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect, (mature) to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 13)

Important to remember that the Body of Christ is a heavenly nation and NOT an earthly one.

`But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvellous light; who were not a people but are now the people of God,...` (1 Peter 2: 9 & 10)

Marilyn.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would just like to make the comment that there are two areas of maturity -

1. For the individual. (Note good comments above.)

2. For the whole Body of Christ. (See OP).

The body matures as we each put in our part. As we become more in unity of the faith and knowledge of the Son of God.

Ephesians 4:1-3 KJV
1) I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3) Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4 has so much to say on this.

Much love!

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The body matures as we each put in our part. As we become more in unity of the faith and knowledge of the Son of God.

Ephesians 4:1-3 KJV
1) I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3) Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4 has so much to say on this.

Much love!

Hi Mark,

So, appreciate your encouraging `ticks.` Now, while we `keep the unity of the Spirit,` with our Christ-like attitude developed by the Holy Spirit, there is ALSO the very important aspect (that I`m trying to bring out here), of the `unity of the faith, ` (Eph. 4: 13).

This is NOT based on the lowest denominator but on ALL the truths that the Holy Spirit has clarified over the centuries to the believers. We, today have ALL the truths that Paul gave to the Ephesians, (the whole counsel of God. Acts 20: 27). Some believers are standing for the truth of salvation by faith in Christ, some are standing for the truth of adult baptism, and some believers are standing for the other truths of the infilling of the Holy Spirit etc. These are all part of Christ`s work in His Body.

The last great truth to be clarified across the Body is the eternal purposes of God for - the Body of Christ, for Israel and for the nations. Some people believe that we will all be on earth together while the truth is that each group have their part in God`s great Kingdom rulership. That is why the eschatology section is a hot spot, for there is a real `battle` for the truth going on there. Remember a few decades ago it was the infilling of the Holy Spirit that was the `battle` ground. each truth has had to be `fought` over, (with the truth in love presented.)

What have you seen over the years in this regard, Mark?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mark,

So, appreciate your encouraging `ticks.` Now, while we `keep the unity of the Spirit,` with our Christ-like attitude developed by the Holy Spirit, there is ALSO the very important aspect (that I`m trying to bring out here), of the `unity of the faith, ` (Eph. 4: 13).

This is NOT based on the lowest denominator but on ALL the truths that the Holy Spirit has clarified over the centuries to the believers. We, today have ALL the truths that Paul gave to the Ephesians, (the whole counsel of God. Acts 20: 27). Some believers are standing for the truth of salvation by faith in Christ, some are standing for the truth of adult baptism, and some believers are standing for the other truths of the infilling of the Holy Spirit etc. These are all part of Christ`s work in His Body.

The last great truth to be clarified across the Body is the eternal purposes of God for - the Body of Christ, for Israel and for the nations. Some people believe that we will all be on earth together while the truth is that each group have their part in God`s great Kingdom rulership. That is why the eschatology section is a hot spot, for there is a real `battle` for the truth going on there. Remember a few decades ago it was the infilling of the Holy Spirit that was the `battle` ground. each truth has had to be `fought` over, (with the truth in love presented.)

What have you seen over the years in this regard, Mark?
I have to run, so I'll try to give a more complete response tomorrow, Lord willing. In the meantime, I think the singlemost topic responsible for the divisions in faith and knowledge is in the identification of Israel and the Body of Christ, the Church.

But there is much to be said, I'm going to think about this, and hopefully return with something meaningful.

Much love!

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have to run, so I'll try to give a more complete response tomorrow, Lord willing. In the meantime, I think the singlemost topic responsible for the divisions in faith and knowledge is in the identification of Israel and the Body of Christ, the Church.

But there is much to be said, I'm going to think about this, and hopefully return with something meaningful.

Much love!

Thanks, look forward to your thoughts.