How Free Will Destroys the Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, in my own preaching of the gospel, what is my aim and goal for the person in my audience, if not to produce faith unto salvation? (going on the idea that salvation is unto faith). @Dave L?

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have faith, which you obviously do, then it is evidence Jesus died for you personally and saved you. Or you would not believe. Even if you tried not to believe, all you would lose is false head faith. Only to find that you really do believe with your heart.
According to this, all that is necessary is one single radio broadcast, (augmented by loud speakers) and in thirty seconds, the entire world will believe at the same moment.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we are all born with a longing to believe in "something", but it is not necessarily automatically "Christ."

I really do think that verse is warning us that we will tend to believe whatever we listen to the most. Just look how Hitler's incessant propaganda broadcasting for years turned so many of the Germans against the Jews. (Go visit a Holocaust Museum if you have never seen that history.)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should it be my aim to get the person in my audience to simply become unconcerned over the salvation of their soul, as the doctrine you (@Dave L) have preached seems to produce?

Or should my preaching, rather, have the intent of producing conviction of sin and a very real concern over their salvation?

Which one is it?

And what is the most effective way of producing the desired result?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My apologies for butting in, but with the Scripture reference right there beside it, I felt it was bound to be misunderstood... maybe even believed that way by some.
You really don't need to belabour the point...

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that before we get too involved in what Kirk Cameron & Ray Comfort go around trying to scare people with, we should remember that the Bible tells us that it is the love of God that draws us.

"Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?" (Romans 2:4, NKJV).

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 New International Version (NIV)
14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.A)'> 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselvesB)'> but for him who died for themC)'> and was raised again.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nevertheless it is the law that is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24-25, Romans 3:19-20, Psalms 19:7 (kjv)); showing them that they are sinners in need of a Saviour.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His goodness can indeed include His justice in proclaiming the judgments of the law (which is also an aspect of His love that is not often associated with love).

D

Dave L

So then, in my own preaching of the gospel, what is my aim and goal for the person in my audience, if not to produce faith unto salvation? (going on the idea that salvation is unto faith). @Dave L?
Preach the gospel according to scripture. And tell those who believe to repent, be baptized and to live a holy life. The creative power of the true gospel will regenerate those to whom it applies.

“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.” (1 Peter 1:23) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: justbyfaith

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything based on meeting conditions is a law or contract. Salvation is a free gift given to those who cannot believe and would never want to agree to the terms of a contract. God creates new life in them through the spoken word and from that point on they believe and want to live a holy life.
"... And when he comes, (The Holy Spirit) he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment"
No amount of teaching, or preaching of Gods Word will bring ANYONE to Christ, ONLY the Holy Spirit can do that.