How I am dodging Hollywood's trash

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a retiree, I watch a lot of TV. I was sickened by the blasphemous ways God's name is used in most Hollywood TV and movies. The shacking up, one night stands or bf/gf cohabiting being portrayed as normal, was sick enough... but using God's name with such vile gutter trash words angered me and turned me off completely..

I have ROKU, and I can access the movie/TV channels Prime, Hulu, Nexflix, etc. Not all free, but not very costly. I have begun watching Asian TV-series stories, enjoying a lot of Korean TV-series now. Even though they are majority Buddhist countries, the faith of Christ when included in some way, is always respectful. I do not hear the blasphemy on those TV series and movies as in the west, so that is where I watch if I am not online checking news, etc.

Everyone's taste is different, but this is how I entertain myself with in spare time. I offer this idea or option for other old timers like me, who feel today's world has fallen off the cliff. :(

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a retiree, I watch a lot of TV. I was sickened by the blasphemous ways God's name is used in most Hollywood TV and movies. The shacking up, one night stands or bf/gf cohabiting being portrayed as normal, was sick enough... but using God's name with such vile gutter trash words angered me and turned me off completely..

I have ROKU, and I can access the movie/TV channels Prime, Hulu, Nexflix, etc. Not all free, but not very costly. I have begun watching Asian TV-series stories, enjoying a lot of Korean TV-series now. Even though they are majority Buddhist countries, the faith of Christ when included in some way, is always respectful. I do not hear the blasphemy on those TV series and movies as in the west, so that is where I watch if I am not online checking news, etc.

Everyone's taste is different, but this is how I entertain myself with in spare time. I offer this idea or option for other old timers like me, who feel today's world has fallen off the cliff. :(
Try checking out Tubi... it's totally free (app or website).

Tubi even has a large Faith and Family Movie section. Their movies mostly have trailers so you can see what the movie is like.

They also have a TV section with all sorts of TV shows. I'm currently watching Alone... it's a reality competition where 10 men are dropped off in separate locations in the Canadian wilderness and they need to survive on their own. The lone survivor will earn $500,000.

I enjoy mysteries on Tubi...they even have some British mysteries.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have taken the very words out of y mouth. This has been my escape from "Devilwood"...I LOVE foreign movies and Korean ones are great. Have you watched the "Ip Man" series? It's wonderful and based on truth. Very entertaining as well.
I can't stand TV, especially American TV but, there are many more wholesome movies out there :)

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it about?
This is what I found online about that series:

The Ip Man series refers to a collection of Hong Kong martial arts films and a TV series that are loosely based on the life of Ip Man, a renowned Wing Chun grandmaster.

Film Series​

The main Ip Man film series consists of the following movies:
  1. Ip Man (2008) - The first film directed by Wilson Yip, starring Donnie Yen as Ip Man. It depicts events in Ip Man's life in Foshan during the Sino-Japanese War.1
  2. Ip Man 2 (2010) - The sequel set in 1949 when Ip Man moves to Hong Kong to promote Wing Chun.1
  3. Ip Man 3 (2015) - Continuing Ip Man's story in Hong Kong, with Mike Tyson appearing as a villain.1
  4. Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018) - A spin-off film starring Max Zhang as Cheung Tin Chi from Ip Man 3.
  5. Ip Man 4: The Finale (2019) - Portrays Ip Man traveling to San Francisco and his relationship with his student Bruce Lee. Originally intended as the final film in the main series.1
  6. Ip Man 5 (TBA) - A newly announced 5th installment in the main Ip Man film series starring Donnie Yen, revealed in 2023.
I've never heard of or seen this series. I'm not so much into martial arts type videos or movies.

Reactions: Debp

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try checking out Tubi... it's totally free (app or website).

Tubi even has a large Faith and Family Movie section. Their movies mostly have trailers so you can see what the movie is like.

They also have a TV section with all sorts of TV shows. I'm currently watching Alone... it's a reality competition where 10 men are dropped off in separate locations in the Canadian wilderness and they need to survive on their own. The lone survivor will earn $500,000.

I enjoy mysteries on Tubi...they even have some British mysteries.
I may be too old and cranky to enjoy the Faith and Family Movie type videos or films. They always come across to me sort of syrupy like the old "Shirley Temple" movies. LOL

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really insulting how disrespectful modern society is of Christianity, even with all their inclusion and tolerance talk. There is a show I like but they use the phrases "oh G**z" and "oh L*rd" constantly, they don't mean it to be in a disrespectful way and the characters are Christian but I still wish they didn't do that.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I may be too old and cranky to enjoy the Faith and Family Movie type videos or films. They always come across to me sort of syrupy like the old "Shirley Temple" movies. LOL

Tubi has lots of categories of movies including true stories. Since they have trailers you can get an idea of what the movie is like.

I like Tubi's mysteries, suspense movies and true stories.

I watched the true story of a mother and two children that got stranded in the African bush after their guide was killed by lions. It was well made and interesting. The actress who plays the D.A. in Blue Bloods starred in it. I forgot the name though!

Also, watched Black Water (true story) about a few tourists in wilderness Australia whose small boat was capsized by a large crocodile. They scrambled into low hanging trees and the crocodile was below them.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agree. Exponentially things are crazy!
And yes…for spare time…which isn’t already the case for us. Our to do list, never ending!

We haven’t watched TV programming for years. Fed up with the disgusting movies, prime-time shows, commercials and even the “so called” cartoons and children’s programming and movies…. GAG.
We buy the movies, or series we like, and do watch some with a good story line and clever one-liners more than once…Not into si-fi, gory weird stuff, but rather wholesome stories or crime/detective type stories.

Thanks for sharing.
God Bless you.

Glory to God,
Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it about?
The life story of Yip Man, the first person to teach the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun and Bruce Lee's trainer.

Here is a short clip from one of the movies, with Ip Man protecting his wife. He plays such a humble man in all of the movies. There are scenes based on true happenings as well as others that are not. All in all, I love the movies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We haven’t watched TV programming for years. Fed up with the disgusting movies, prime-time shows, commercials and even the “so called” cartoons and children’s programming and movies…. GAG.
We buy the movies, or series we like, and do watch some with a good story line and clever one-liners more than once…Not into si-fi, gory weird stuff, but rather wholesome stories or crime/detective type stories.
Ditto for my wife and I. Except I like some Sci-Fi. But the same rules apply.

Much love!

Reactions: Debp and Taken

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The life story of Yip Man, the first person to teach the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun and Bruce Lee's trainer.

Here is a short clip from one of the movies, with Ip Man protecting his wife. He plays such a humble man in all of the movies. There are scenes based on true happenings as well as others that are not. All in all, I love the movies.

Quite a martial arts scene!

Many years ago my mom was almost robbed at her job (she was a cashier at a cafeteria).
The robber held a sawed off shot gun to her stomach!

She started yelling "Jesus is Lord" over and over again. The robber ripped her blouse but he also turned white (pale) (he was a black guy)!

The customers all dove under their tables in the dining room!

The manager who held a black belt in karate heard the commotion. He and the secretary thought it was one of the customers taking a fit!

Anyhow the manager came around the corner and just yelled at the robber to get out. The robber fled.

Thankfully mom was unhurt....it happened on Valentine's Day.

• Wow
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite a martial arts scene!

Many years ago my mom was almost robbed at her job (she was a cashier at a cafeteria).
The robber held a sawed off shot gun to her stomach!

She started yelling "Jesus is Lord" over and over again. The robber ripped her blouse but he also turned white (pale) (he was a black guy)!

The customers all dove under their tables in the dining room!

The manager who held a black belt in karate heard the commotion. He and the secretary thought it was one of the customers taking a fit!

Anyhow the manager came around the corner and just yelled at the robber to get out. The robber fled.

Thankfully mom was unhurt....it happened on Valentine's Day.
Oh wow! Your mom was very strong in her faith :) wonderful story, and on Valentines day to boot, what love He has for us!
Ip Man is not ALL martial arts, I dont usually watch the martial arts movies. The Ip Man movies take you through all kinds of very interesting things. It takes place also over the years that Japan invaded China. So many wonderful story lines in it. I will watch them again...two times so far for all the movies.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh wow! Your mom was very strong in her faith :) wonderful story, and on Valentines day to boot, what love He has for us!
Ip Man is not ALL martial arts, I dont usually watch the martial arts movies. The Ip Man movies take you through all kinds of very interesting things. It takes place also over the years that Japan invaded China. So many wonderful story lines in it. I will watch them again...two times so far for all the movies.

Oh I forgot to say mom held the sawed off shot gun down while yelling Jesus is Lord!

• Haha
Reactions: Nancy