How I read my bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cross8527

Apr 29, 2022
pkc
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading the bible with the holy spirit is an art to say the least the word of God is like an onion or the earths crust it has man y layers upon layers one can read it a thousand times and yet still find hidden treasures they didn't see before no other book can claim such a thing. But as I grew in my faith and matured as a believer i also grew in how i read my bible, I am one who is about perspective when i look around i like to take things into perspective i like to to look at everything from different angles i never like to look at something in one way. I like to try to see from other peoples point of view and compare it to my own i like to try to match the perspective of people from the bible to my own situations in life as well.

That being said when it comes to reading the bible perspective can play a major role in how i understand it. I see how many people have all kinds of views and beliefs many different opinions and understanding many different doctrines and theologies each one believing they alone hold the truth each one believing it was holy spirit lead.

Yet God is not the author of confusion he is the God of truth I ntoiced that each person seemed to go into their bibles with their own perspective their own views their own doctrines already set in stone and so therefore when they read the scriptures that is what they saw in the scriptures, this was a problem to me as it seemed to me that what if they were in the wrong about something but were to blind to see it due to the fact they already believed so firmly in their own views that they remained ignorant to the truth right in front of them?

So bot wanting to make that same mistake though it isn't always easy to do i try to read my bible or in my case listen due to my damaged eyes without any preset views or doctrines in my mind a clean slate so that i read the scriptures as pure and truth only no doctrine no interpretation no beleif system just the word of God as it is.

Another thing is that since i am a writer i know how the formula of words work. certain words are placed in certain places for a reason to mean certain things and depending on where they are placed and what words surround that word can change the meaning of that word entirely. it is like a song if you or a painting each note or image is placed in a certain area to be something and what surrounds it defines it each note every brust of pain is specific for a reason i make it a point to question why certain words that may mean something else are placed where they are what words are or sentences surround them and do they have an effect to the meaning of that word?

This leads me to the next part and that is to take the chapter as a whole first. just today i was in a debate with a user on another forum who when i asked for scriptural evidence for his theory gave a verse and highlighted a sentence in the verse that had to with his theory but when i looked up the chapter in which he pulled up the verse from and read the whole chapter first i saw that what the chapter was saying and what he was saying were two completely different things.

I told him this and how dangerous it was to cheryy pick verses like that and that you have to take scripture as a whole first then look for your theology he did not approve of my comment. but this goes along with what i said above the things that surrounded the verse he pulled brought the verse into perspective it also turned out that the particular word he was trying to use to prove his thology in the verse was placed in a particular order to mean something that was not what he was trying to make it seem based on two words that surrounded it.

Reading the bible is an art I am a writer and an artist as well so i try to use these abilities and apply them to how i read scripture so far it seems to work

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Reading the bible with the holy spirit is an art to say the least the word of God is like an onion or the earths crust it has man y layers upon layers one can read it a thousand times and yet still find hidden treasures they didn't see before no other book can claim such a thing. But as I grew in my faith and matured as a believer i also grew in how i read my bible, I am one who is about perspective when i look around i like to take things into perspective i like to to look at everything from different angles i never like to look at something in one way. I like to try to see from other peoples point of view and compare it to my own i like to try to match the perspective of people from the bible to my own situations in life as well.

That being said when it comes to reading the bible perspective can play a major role in how i understand it. I see how many people have all kinds of views and beliefs many different opinions and understanding many different doctrines and theologies each one believing they alone hold the truth each one believing it was holy spirit lead.

Yet God is not the author of confusion he is the God of truth I ntoiced that each person seemed to go into their bibles with their own perspective their own views their own doctrines already set in stone and so therefore when they read the scriptures that is what they saw in the scriptures, this was a problem to me as it seemed to me that what if they were in the wrong about something but were to blind to see it due to the fact they already believed so firmly in their own views that they remained ignorant to the truth right in front of them?

So bot wanting to make that same mistake though it isn't always easy to do i try to read my bible or in my case listen due to my damaged eyes without any preset views or doctrines in my mind a clean slate so that i read the scriptures as pure and truth only no doctrine no interpretation no beleif system just the word of God as it is.

Another thing is that since i am a writer i know how the formula of words work. certain words are placed in certain places for a reason to mean certain things and depending on where they are placed and what words surround that word can change the meaning of that word entirely. it is like a song if you or a painting each note or image is placed in a certain area to be something and what surrounds it defines it each note every brust of pain is specific for a reason i make it a point to question why certain words that may mean something else are placed where they are what words are or sentences surround them and do they have an effect to the meaning of that word?

This leads me to the next part and that is to take the chapter as a whole first. just today i was in a debate with a user on another forum who when i asked for scriptural evidence for his theory gave a verse and highlighted a sentence in the verse that had to with his theory but when i looked up the chapter in which he pulled up the verse from and read the whole chapter first i saw that what the chapter was saying and what he was saying were two completely different things.

I told him this and how dangerous it was to cheryy pick verses like that and that you have to take scripture as a whole first then look for your theology he did not approve of my comment. but this goes along with what i said above the things that surrounded the verse he pulled brought the verse into perspective it also turned out that the particular word he was trying to use to prove his thology in the verse was placed in a particular order to mean something that was not what he was trying to make it seem based on two words that surrounded it.

Reading the bible is an art I am a writer and an artist as well so i try to use these abilities and apply them to how i read scripture so far it seems to work
I think you covered it.

I have noticed that when I second guess my first held interpretation of a chapter or verse the new interpretation ends up wrong more often than not.

But that may not be the same for everyone.

Reactions: Cross8527 and marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Cross, post as much as you are lead friend.

Good thing to note that a whole Chapter can change whole perspective from a single passage. That is why I am against really apologetics and rely from what has been learned from the bible as a whole, and generally leads me to speaking what I believe, in light of Christ Victory over all things, such as Satan his Demons, Sin, Hell/Sheol, Death, and the grave for all individuals now today.

It is because the whole of scripture from the Old, and the Apostolic Record from it's historical writings and things of that nature are important to consider when reading. For example none of the bible was written to us, and was written to a people in a for mentioned time.

Like you said though the holy spirit is of primary importance to the reader, so also is considering what is said prior and before the present chapter, and on going. It is called hermenutics, and also while reading questioning, who, when, why, what, how, and what in the oncourse of reading.

Good post, God bless.

Reactions: Cross8527

Cross8527

Apr 29, 2022
pkc
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you covered it.

I have noticed that when I second guess my first held interpretation of a chapter or verse the new interpretation ends up wrong more often than not.

But that may not be the same for everyone.
It's not just you the first interpretation is usually the right one this what i calll the gut feeling interpretation and is usually the right one to listen to. See when we read with the holy spirit we are giving him permission to take over therefore his voice is going to be the first to speak when we second guess ourselves or r rather second guess the interpretation we then are the ones speaking not him so what we interpret is something different.

Reactions: Azim and lforrest

Cross8527

Apr 29, 2022
pkc
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Cross, post as much as you are lead friend.

Good thing to note that a whole Chapter can change whole perspective from a single passage. That is why I am against really apologetics and rely from what has been learned from the bible as a whole, and generally leads me to speaking what I believe, in light of Christ Victory over all things, such as Satan his Demons, Sin, Hell/Sheol, Death, and the grave for all individuals now today.

It is because the whole of scripture from the Old, and the Apostolic Record from it's historical writings and things of that nature are important to consider when reading. For example none of the bible was written to us, and was written to a people in a for mentioned time.

Like you said though the holy spirit is of primary importance to the reader, so also is considering what is said prior and before the present chapter, and on going. It is called hermenutics, and also while reading questioning, who, when, why, what, how, and what in the oncourse of reading.

Good post, God bless.
It seems to me you have a pretty good grasp on how to study the bible already, I have noticed that every verse is somehow linked to another verse or at least has something to do with another verse so that the entire word of God is connected in one way or another so if one didn't know the whole word they would not know this.

It also is interesting to me how different versions can alter how one understands the word of God I know that there are many who cling to the kjv only but i have found it an interesting experiment to search the scriptures in different versions some of them i found to be quite enlightening compared to the kjv but other times i didn't reach that aha moment until i read it in the kjv

Reactions: Azim

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I wouldn't necessarily say reading The Bible is an art. It's simply not meant to be understood by those who have their spiritual eyes closed (Matthew 13:11). Believing on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ is always... the first prerequisite to understand His written Word.

The next prerequisite is to pray and ask God for understanding with disciplined Bible study, in all of it. And then, only then, IF The Holy Spirit is given that person, only then... will they be given to understand it.

An understanding of English grammar can help, but it is not the absolute source-way to understanding God's written Word. The many Bible revisions by men ought to teach one a lesson on that. That's why I don't recommend relying on modern Bible versions.

Also, not everything written in a Bible Chapter will be understood just by reading and engulfing just that one Chapter. So treating Chapters in The Bible like those who 'cherry pick' a single verse, can be just as bad. God put two or more witnesses in His Word for us, so we would learn the meaning between the Book and Chapter evidences. Man's literature is not like that. This is why God's written Word is unique and different from all other literature writings by man. God's Word has alternations by The Holy Spirit that are unique to itself. For example, in Acts 2, the subject of what was spoken on Pentecost has a perfect alternation per the Greek:

Acts 2:3, glossa (language)
Acts 2:4, glossa
Acts 2:6, ... dialektos (dialect)
Acts 2:8, ... dialektos
Acts 2:11, glossa
Acts 2:26, glossa
(using KJV Bible)

The KJV Bible keeps to those Holy Spirit alternations in God's Word better than any other English translation. But one can see that one still had to go to the Greek to discover that alternation by The Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Episkopos

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is only one way to understand it, Jesus assigned a faithful slave to feed his sheep in his absence, you have to identify this slave, and listen to his voice. Rom 10:13-15. Jehovah will see to it you are reached by one of His people, and you will be given the opportunity to learn what He requires through His word the Bible, but you have to receive them. The Bible does reveal that most will reject it.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Don’t we need to be taught?
Lk 1:4 Matt 28:19 acts 8:31 by Christ in his church thru the apostles