How to memorize the bible permanently?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shipeichong

Jan 19, 2019
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
Besides John 3:16, I never seems to be able to memorize the bible in a permanent way. Yes, I can memorize it for 1 day, 2 days, even a week, but after one year, I will probably forget about it. The only verse I can quote to this day without referring to the bible is John 3:16 only.
How to solve that problem? What can I do to remember the scripture long term instead of short term?
I am using the NIV 1984. I like this version rather than the new version of NIV which I feel changes God's Word to be more gender-inclusive. I don't like that. I try reading the KJV, cannot understand the older day english. Try ESV, and it is too difficult for me as well.
I like the NIV 1984 best but it is not in production these days. I don't know where to get a new NIV 1984 after my bible wears out. Therefore, I am hoping to commit the NIV 1984 bible to my memory.
What are some tips you can give me to memorize the bible?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Besides John 3:16, I never seems to be able to memorize the bible in a permanent way. Yes, I can memorize it for 1 day, 2 days, even a week, but after one year, I will probably forget about it. The only verse I can quote to this day without referring to the bible is John 3:16 only.
How to solve that problem? What can I do to remember the scripture long term instead of short term?
I am using the NIV 1984. I like this version rather than the new version of NIV which I feel changes God's Word to be more gender-inclusive. I don't like that. I try reading the KJV, cannot understand the older day english. Try ESV, and it is too difficult for me as well.
I like the NIV 1984 best but it is not in production these days. I don't know where to get a new NIV 1984 after my bible wears out. Therefore, I am hoping to commit the NIV 1984 bible to my memory.
Understanding it is far more important than memorizing it. Most people don't understand the bible which is obvious by their slanted, erroneous, views as evidenced by what they say and/write.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would say that it would be best to just memorise key verses. Memorising the whole bible seems a bit extreme. Followers of Islam are supposed to memorise the Quran. We don't really need to commit the whole bible to memory as it is a Living word.

I used to keep a notebook and write down key verses that really spoke to me. That helped me to remember them.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have an NIV that is held together by duct tape. My bible reading these days is done online.
I have had to cover mine in wrapping paper and clear sticky plastic. And it's a large print bible. I can't read the small print of my favourite one any more. But the worse my eye sight gets the better my spiritual sight gets. So there are compensations of aging.

Reactions: Lambano

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go here (to my reply to your other thread on Scripture memorization)

Starting by memorizing select verses and passages will be very helpful to you (before beginning to commit to memorizing whole Chapters, Books, Epistles and/or the entire NT or OT, if you ever decide to do so). Again, check out the link above to your other thread on memorization.

I too love the NIV 84'. The good news is, the NIVUK, which is still in print today, is the very same translation as the 84' version which is not (in print any longer). Just FYI.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - the passage that is still my best memorized passage is Matthew 6:9-13, because I repeated it so often over the years from early childhood in church. Repitition is the principal key to memorizing Scripture, and to keeping it memorized over the years.

This means that Scripture memory work may seem dull and somewhat legalistic at first, and just plain hard work. That said, there is no other Christian spiritual discipline that has been more of a blessing to my walk before the Lord, not even close (and the good news is, it does not continue to seem dull or feel legalistic once you've seen the results or outcome of doing it, because of how profoundly it will effect your walk and your relationship with Lord .. and with others :)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The good part is that you are putting it in your head. This promise is for you, too:

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The good part is that you are putting it in your head. This promise is for you, too:

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
I do not remember whole verses myself in their entirety. Understanding the meaning and a few words to paraphrase or look up the scripture is enough for me. I believe understanding to be of greater value than rote memorization.

I would also rather need to look it up every time than risk remembering it incorrectly and quoting it as though it were directly from the bible and make a mistake.

Reactions: Pearl and amadeus

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not remember whole verses myself in their entirety. Understanding the meaning and a few words to paraphrase or look up the scripture is enough for me. I believe understanding to be of greater value than rote memorization.

I would also rather need to look it up every time than risk remembering it incorrectly and quoting it as though it were directly from the bible and make a mistake.
I agree. but if the time ever comes when we aren't allowed our bibles, the Holy Spirit will bring what you have read to mind.

Reactions: Pearl and amadeus

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I agree. but if the time ever comes when we aren't allowed our bibles, the Holy Spirit will bring what you have read to mind.
I am not confident that I would be able to restrain my wrath in such a time.