How Often Do You Share Your Faith?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How often do you share your faith?

• ...Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

a3m24ie

Oct 10, 2010
I'd like to hear why you answered what you did... and if you have one, share your latest evangelism story. What went right, and what went wrong?

Also... Please share what stops you from sharing your faith more often. (Even if you answered that you share everyday)

Feb 7, 2013
What a beautiful topic :) But what a dismal response :(

To be honest, I was nearly going to answer this as "when it comes up in conversation- usually" thinking about the few opportunities I take to witness to people outside of those Christians I regularly see.
Then I realised I was witnessing every week, to my wife and to the people whom I interact with each week at my church Bible study. But for some reason my first thoughts did not include that group.
By joining this forum I want to expand my circle of influence. I want to reach out to (dare I say it) "the lost sheep of the house of Israel". Not in the sense that I think I am right, God forbid, but in the sense that there is a common starting point. One which we can share our faith, compare notes, Biblically, and gain perspective on the truth in the word.

I believe witnessing, telling your first-hand story to people who know you, is an important and has a very strong positive influence on them, and that doing this focuses the work of the Holy Spirit, and makes him more visible to those who's eyes can see. This was certainly the case for me..

Even though I grew up in a Christian home with a Grandfather as a Pastor, I had no desire for anything religious after about the age of 10. I lived for myself a worldly life until I came to the realisation that none of it was bringing me happiness. A failed relationship nearly took my life, I smoked, I drank excessively, I did other dugs on occasion, I slept around, I spent all my money on myself, I neglected to defend Jesus Name, and many other disgraceful things. Very slowly the Holy Spirit was working on me. I quit smoking, didn't like it any way. I Gave up drinking entirely (eventually), It made me make BAD decisions. And so on with my other vices. I decided to read the Bible through (which I completed) and that I should at least study what I was supposed to believe (what my childhood denomination taught). Slowly over a period of about 5 years the Holy Spirit worked on me to the point where I might appear to be a Christian. But there was one thing missing.

What is the difference between something you believe to be true and something you know to be true?

I "believed" everything I was told as a child, and as an adult I returned to those "beliefs". But this was until the Holy Spirit opened my eyes; Then I saw and heard the recorded confession of necromancy by a public figure, influenced by the Devil, pronouncing to everyone that it is ok to have a relationship with someone who has been dead for hundreds of years. This was in the context (and as a result of) another public figure claiming Jesus as his strength and winning another person back to his own walk with Jesus. Now I do not just "believe" what I have been taught, I "know" it to be a fact. I now "know" that the devil is currently working so hard to try and convince people of his doctrine, and that God and Jesus and The Holy Spirit are real beings currently with us and working to get us home. I can not deny the existence of the trinity of God and the reality of Satan, any more than I can my own existence. This is my confession.

"So what are you going to do about it?, What are my alternatives?"

This was the consuming thought the Holy Spirit put on me. I can no longer live a life without Jesus. Gods word is clear. I have no desire to choose the worldly alternative, (after all, we all know where that ends). God is good. I quickly took the steps to get baptised. Yes, even as a 13 year old, after a "week of prayer" seminar at school, during an alter call, when all my friends were going up front, I resisted, I knew I was not ready. Now 36, I am a baby. But I thank God for my upbringing as despite all I went through I did not forget the lessons taught. (Ignored yes, but not forgotten). I now crave the word of God and just pray that he will use me for his work. Oh, I "know" he will, you see I should have had died multiple times when I was younger as a result of my sporting activities. Even at one of these earliest "close calls" I was given the nearly audible impression that God had saved my life for a reason. For what I am not sure, but pray for me.

I hope writing this will spark a flood of people telling their stories. Stories that will inspire us all to be a little more brave than we are and witness publicly, without fear, because we "know" the Holy Spirit will bring his words to our remembrance.

Returning to the Poll for a minute, it is unfortunate that I see only 3 of us have answered daily or weekly, it has been 3 months since the poll was posted. So, as a community we are not witnessing as much as we think, only once a month!

So what are you going to do about it?

As a note I want to include a few supporting verses. Although this is my first post here and it is basically my personal testimony, I endeavour to be biblically based with all my postings.
Isa_8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
Lev_19:31 Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.
1Ch_10:13 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;

God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
every time i excercise faith by loving God and neighbor rather than focusing on exaulting myself over others

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me first say I a bit taken back by the lack of responses, kinda scary if you think about it. But then again it is a question that smacks you right in the face and can be a bit intimidating.

I answered everyday. Is that even possible? How can you do that? Am I just bragging?
The simple answer is lifestyle. Living intentionally. Being selective in the language I use and intentional on what I choose not to say. Holding the door for the woman or man walking behind me. Looking others in the eye and smiling even if they have the worst scowl on their face. Talking baseball, or cars, or shopping, and yes Christ with others. Staying focused on God's sovereignty in all situations leaving room for Him in every conversation. Showing kindness in all situations and forgiveness always; never looking for something in return. Showing genuine happiness in others success and showing genuine compassion in others hardships. And finally being sensitive to the Spirit and for the opportunity of the gospel message.

Is my walk perfect? I would be a liar if I claimed so, but I can sure be intentional, and I can trust that He will perfect it.

Matthew 5:14-16
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
aspen2 said:
every time i excercise faith by loving God and neighbor rather than focusing on exaulting myself over others
-- Aspen, if you are still advocating your support for gay marraige by criticizing Christians who don't support it to the point of accusing them of
violating civil rights (as you have done on this board), or still advocate abortion on demand for women (as you have also done on this board),
I would hope that is not a sharing of faith you do with the lost.

Enhance your calm about the "dismal response," Steve. This is the first time I have seen this thread and I am sure I am not alone.

- A Bible, a little bigger than a paperback book sitting on my desk at work has generated scores of conversations that have allowed me to witness.

- When people at work mention trials and tribulations they are going through, I let them know I will lift them up in prayer, and then offer to pray for them right then.
Most decline, but it does often lead to questions about my faith and the importance of God.

- I regularly invite people to a Tuesday Bible study I attend, or our Church's Wed. evening service. Most decline. Some have attended. Some only once.
Some still going. But even thoss that don't take up my offer have often engaged me in conversations.

- I always have the opportunity to speak about Christ and rarely have to bring it up. That is because many who are hostile towards Christ from previous
experiences come to me to ask questions because I don't "act like those idiots." Even those that are still angry get measured, peaceful responses from me.

- Many local churches band together to sponsor Christian concerts. We have had Mercy Me and Casting Crowns, among others.
You let people know you are going to a concert and when they ask who, you tell them "a Christian group called......" Most will be polite and say they don't
know who that is. You offer to bring them. Or you email them the link to their web site, or the links to their songs on YouTube.

- Strangely enough, some of the longest conversations I have at work about God have been due to
a t-shirt I have worn that says, "Heck is for polite people who don't believe in gosh."

Reactions: brrrilliantsteve

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if anyone is really interested in my views on abortion or homosexuality, foreigner, they can ask me. No reason to derail a thread with a red herring

Grump

Feb 13, 2013
US
I'm with justaname. It's all about being intentional. I voted "every day", not because I'm a televangelist or anything like it, but because my faith is a constant in the way I talk, work, carry myself, treat others, and hold convictions. We certainly can share our faith with words, to be sure, but we're doing a disservice both to ourselves and to others if we don't live it boldly.

I use Colossians 4:6 and Matthew 5:13-16 as my general guidelines for witnessing to the public.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
aspen2 said:
if anyone is really interested in my views on abortion or homosexuality, foreigner, they can ask me. No reason to derail a thread with a red herring

-- Am curious...
How exactly is actively supporting something that God considers an abomination while criticizing other Christians that don't support it, as well as supporting unrestricted access to something that God considers murder of His children....."loving God?"