How To Argue Like A Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve run across them. You’ve run across them. They might even, at times, be us. Who are they? Christians who aren’t acting Christlike in the conduct of their conversation.

Why does it happen?

There are several potential reasons but the one that I would like to focus on is instruction. No one instructed me when I first became a disciple of Jesus on how to argue like a Christian. I learned it the old fashioned way - in the, sometimes painful and embarrassing, school of experience. That’s a way, certainly not the only way.

The author of the linked article offers us some guidance on the matter.

“… if those who would call themselves followers of Jesus find themselves in a debate or disagreement, and are acting just as dismissive, cruel, accusatory, inflammatory, etc., as anyone else on earth, then we by definition have failed in our calling to be ‘holy’ - to be set apart, to be different than the norm, to be ‘other.’

We need to argue sometimes. It’s an important way that we figure things out. But we need to do so in a way that is different than how our natural instincts or cultural powers might pull. We need to argue in a way that is holy.

So here are a few rhoughts as to what should mark Christians are holy arguers:

* Christians are excellent listeners. …

* Christians disagree gently. …

* Christians treat their opponent with dignity and respect. …

* Christians remember who the real enemy is. …

* Christians treat the opposing argument with integrity and charity. …

* Christians remember the big picture. …

* Christians love. …

There is more that could be said, for certain. But here is some food for thought!

Let us disagree, by all means. But let us do so as Christians.”

P.S.

This isn’t aimed at anyone particular. It is intended for new Christians in general, and for the benefit of everyone, including me.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“When talking with someone, it is helpful to know what type of conversation you are in. You can do so based on a conversation’s direction of communication (a one-way or two-way street) and its tone / purpose (competitive or cooperative.)

If you are in a one-way conversation, you are talking at someone, rather than with someone. If you are in a two-way conversation, participants are both listening and talking. In a competitive conversation, people are more concerned about their own perspective, whereas in a cooperative conversation participants are interested in the perspective of everyone involved.

Based on direction and tone, I grouped conversations into four types: debate, dialogue, discourse, and diatribe. …

It is important to know which type of conversation you are in, because that determines the purpose of that conversation. If you can identify the purpose, you can better speak to the heart of that conversation. But, if you misidentify the conversation you are are in, you can fall into conversational pitfalls. …”

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm trying to remember the Psalm number( and drawing a blank) that details precisely the attitude every learner should have.

Anyone remember it?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It happens because they haven’t come to that understanding in their heart, that a servant of God should not argue.

I used to argue like a dog with a bone, ..even as a Born Again for many, many years,they are still in that old mindset, also the power within us, the Living Holy Spirit is making us into the image of Jesus...he teaches us to submit to His Spirit.

Remember we are spiritual children ,who are being taught how to walk in the spirit, we have a Living teacher who indwells our heart, my opinion/ testimony and belief.

Our spirit communicates with God via His Spirit, as we are spiritual children of God..because we have been Born Again of imperishable seed....that seed that we were Born Again of...is a Living seed...the Living Holy Spirit who brought our spirit Alive in Christ.

The Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are Gods children.

1 Corinthians 2:10-12
But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

Ephesians 1:17
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

New Living Translation
asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.

English Standard Version
that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,

Berean Standard Bible
that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in your knowledge of Him.

Berean Literal Bible
that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,

Last edited: