Read like a Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve recently been involved in casual conversation about what Christians should / shouldn’t read. Some Christians in these conversations have been broad-minded. Some Christians in these conversations have been narrow-minded.

”Have you ever wondered what it means to read like a Christian? Surely it means more than being a Christian and reading. There are precious realities that shape and season what and how we read. Let me commend five principles that help and challenge me to read like a Christian.”

(Samuel James, “Read Like a Christian: Five Principles for What and How”)

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Study Cultures, History, anything related to the surrroundings that the human authors wrote books of the Bible. Then, read each text in context hundreds of times before reading any books.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Study Cultures, History, anything related to the surrroundings that the human authors wrote books of the Bible. Then, read each text in context hundreds of times before reading any books.

That’s an impressive recommendation. I wish, in hindsight, that I had followed it.

How many Christians (let alone newbies) do you know who have read the Bible hundreds of times?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Are you struggling to maintain a consistent habit of daily Bible reading?

You’re not alone.

Many people find it challenging to stay committed to this spiritual discipline.

The good news is that there are practical steps you can take to improve your daily Bible reading habit and make it a fulfilling part of your everyday routine.

Developing a consistent and meaningful daily Bible reading habit is essential for spiritual growth and connection with God.

It can be challenging to maintain this discipline, but with the right strategies and mindset, it is achievable.

Here are 10 practical ways to enhance your daily Bible reading habit and experience a deeper connection with God. …”

(Aaron Hall, “10 ways to improve your daily Bible reading habit”)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The Bible teaches us that we should meditate on the words of God (Psalm 1:2). It also teaches that, ‘whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things (Philippians 4:8). In other words, other books that encourage holy living can be helpful in our walk with Christ. Commentaries, Bible studies, devotional literature - there are many writings that can deepen our understanding of Scripture.

Further, other books are helpful for many practical areas of life. …

Third, some diction is useful for both learning and enjoyment. As long as the book honors the Lord, a novel can communicate truth, just as Jesus did in His parables. …

Fourth, some books can help us to better understand and reach out to those who do not know Christ. …

Of course, there are some books that Christians should not read. …

Finally, it should be clear that the Bible is the most important book and should receive highest priority among Christians. …”