How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do we do with:
Mark 16:16?
Do we have to be baptized in order to be saved?
NO!!!! God tells what to do to be saved=== omans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13
GOD SAYS=
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OOPS!!! Did God forget to say baptism saves???

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13
GOD SAYS=
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved.

No GISMYS God didn't forget. It's right there is Scripture
Jesus said He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16)
Peter wrote: ...eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (1Pet 3:20:21)
Jesus also said “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." John 3:5
Paul wrote: he saved us, ......... by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5)
All clearly say that baptism saves us

Also Luke wrote:
Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand persons were added that day. ……. And every day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved. (Acts 2:41….47)
And
Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. (Acts 2:38)
And
Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptised and your sins washed away, calling upon his name. (Acts 22:16).

Paul wrote:
Or are you unaware that we who were baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into his death? We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life. For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection.
(Rom 6:3-4)
And
But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. (1Cor 6:11)
And
all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. (Gal 3:27).
It's all there is Scripture GISMSY
You just have to believe the Scriptures.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture does you no good if you don't have understanding of what scripture teaches.
1 Corinthians 1:14 14I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius==strange scripture if baptism does save!!!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Scripture does you no good if you don't have understanding of what scripture teaches.
1 Corinthians 1:14 14I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius==strange scripture if baptism does save!!!
Baptism does not save - and it only counts once we are saved.

Reactions: GISMYS_7

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

It's not a strange scripture at all if you look at the context. Scripture does you no good if you don't have understanding of what scripture teaches.

It has nothing to do with Paul regretting baptism. Those that use this argument ignore the previous three verses (11-13) where he has just been telling the Corinthians off for their factions and slogans “For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there are quarrels among you, my brothers and sisters. What I mean is that each of you says, ‘I belong to Paul,’ or ‘I belong to Apollos,’ or ‘I belong to Cephas,’ or ‘I belong to Christ.’ Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptised in the name of Paul?” He is just making the point that as he personally baptised so few they cannot say they were baptised in his name.

Moreover, as I have already shown, Baptism is a basic gospel teaching of Paul.
Now I am reminding you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you indeed received and in which you also stand. Through it you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I handed on to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures; that he was buried; that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures. (1Cor 15:1-4). This is Paul’s basic proclamation of the gospel.

Now what does he say in Rom 6
Or are you unaware that we who were baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into his death? We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life. (vs 3-4)

For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection
. (vs 5)
Paul links baptism to his basic gospel teaching

He continues in verses 17-18
But thanks be to God that, although you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient from the heart to the pattern of teaching to which you were entrusted. Freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.
Now what was the pattern of teaching to which you were entrusted?
It is the pattern with which he started the chapter – our baptism into Christ’s death and resurrection, and our death and resurrection with him to new life.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Baptism does not save - and it only counts once we are saved.

If you read back through the posts you will find I have given much Scripture that says baptism saves us.
But since many people don't l;ike going back here are some
Jesus said He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16)
Peter wrote: ...eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (1Pet 3:20:21)
Jesus also said “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." John 3:5
Paul wrote: he saved us, ......... by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5)
All clearly say that baptism saves us

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What thinking person wants to say a God rejecting unbeliever that is baptized just to please his mother,girl friend, wife is saved???

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What thinking person wants to say a God rejecting unbeliever that is baptized just to please his mother,girl friend, wife is saved???

You are making progress GIMSYS. At least now you have stopped claiming that baptism saves no-one.
At last you are beginni9ng to believe Scripture.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who needs to believe and trust in Jesus IF baptism saves you???

• Baptism saves no one, but everyone who is saved should be baptized. It is a statement of faith. It tells the world that you have received Jesus as your Savior. You are publicly acknowledging the spiritual work of God in your heart when you follow Him in believer’s baptism.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You may well have done - but only Jesus saves. Baptism is a sign of our salvation not the reason for it.

It is in baptism that Jesus saves us. It is not a sign of what has already occurred.
Jesus said: He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16) not "believe and then get baptised as a sign of your salvation" as GISMYS seems to think.
It's belief + baptism = salvation.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are making progress GIMSYS. At least now you have stopped claiming that baptism saves no-one.
At last you are beginni9ng to believe Scripture.
The belief that baptism saves is a total misconception by certain denominations and so sadly people who have been taught they are saved really aren't.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is in baptism that Jesus saves us.
It was in His death that he gave the means for us to be saved. You are totally wrong in yout beliefs and if you base your own salvation on baptism without accepting Jesus then you, like thousands ot others, are NOT saved.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You may well have done - but only Jesus saves. Baptism is a sign of our salvation not the reason for it.

Then you are denial of what Scripture clearly states.
Read post #42 - not far back.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It was in His death that he gave the means for us to be saved. You are totally wrong in yout beliefs and if you base your own salvation on baptism without accepting Jesus then you, like thousands ot others, are NOT saved.

Did you not read what I said?
Jesus said: He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16) not "believe and then get baptised as a sign of your salvation" as GISMYS seems to think.

Did I say we don't need to believe in Jesus? NO I didn't.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
That’s right. It is Jesus who is the Savior.

Baptism is a purification rite that the believer is commanded to undergo. Not that, without it, the believer is not saved. Rather, with it, he expresses his faith in Jesus Christ.

Baptism is different from faith and isn’t faith, but is an act of faith, among many others. Now one is saved through faith.

So that Mark 16:16 says “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.”

He who does not believe will not be saved but will be condemned. But he who believes, will he be saved? Yes. One who is baptized, at least in the proper sense, is taken to be a believer. He is saved not because he got baptized, but because he believes. It follows then that one who does not believe and just got himself baptized, for whatever reason, or was baptized for whatever reason other than that because he believes, will not be saved.

@Mungo
@GISMYS_7

Tong
R4764

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Baptism is a purification rite that the believer is commanded to undergo. Not that, without it, the believer is not saved. Rather, with it, he expresses his faith in Jesus Christ.

Baptism is different from faith and isn’t faith, but is an act of faith, among many others. Now one is saved through faith.

So that Mark 16:16 says “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.”

He who does not believe will not be saved but will be condemned. But he who believes, will he be saved? Yes. One who is baptized, at least in the proper sense, is taken to be a believer. He is saved not because he got baptized, but because he believes. It follows then that one who does not believe and just got himself baptized, for whatever reason, or was baptized for whatever reason other than that because he believes, will not be saved.

@Mungo
@GISMYS_7

Tong
R4764
No, baptism is not just a purification rite; it's not just expressing faith in Jesus.
It is in baptism that we receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
it is in baptism that we become members of the Body of Christ - the Church.
it is in baptism that we come into the New Covenant.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:

No, baptism is not just a purification rite; it's not just expressing faith in Jesus.
It is in baptism that we receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
it is in baptism that we become members of the Body of Christ - the Church.
it is in baptism that we come into the New Covenant.

<<<No, baptism is not just a purification rite>>>

To be clear, I was talking about baptism with water. It is certainly is a rite, a ritual, symbolic of a spiritual reality.

<<<It is in baptism that Jesus saves us.>>>

Jesus is the Savior and salvation is through faith, as I have pointed out.

God saved Abraham. Was Abraham baptized? God saved Enoch, Abel, Isaac, Jacob, and many OT saints, even the thief on the cross with Jesus. Were they baptized? No. But all were saved through faith. They believed. Was Paul saved because he was baptized? Paul was saved because he believed. He got himself baptized because he believed. Were the 11 apostles saved because they were baptized? They were saved because they believed. Were the 3000 individuals saved because they were baptized? They were saved because they believed. They got themselves baptized because they believed.

I repeat my position, God is the Savior and He saves through faith. One who does not believe and just got himself baptized, for whatever reason, or was baptized for whatever reason other than that because he believes, will not be saved and is not saved.

Tong
R4765

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is in baptism that Jesus saves us. It is not a sign of what has already occurred.
I know you are a Catholic and that you believe baptism saves. But by perpetuating this belief your church is deceiving the lost into thinking they are saved. It's totally wrong.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then you are denial of what Scripture clearly states.
Read post #42 - not far back.
Scripture does not 'clearly state' your church has placed that interpretation on certain texts. All baptisms in the bible are of saved believers.

Reactions: GISMYS_7