How to deal with non Christian friends

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
I have a small group of friends that I know from playing and working a a local video game store. For the past two years most of our discussions have been about games, movies and TV shows. Last fall I started working at the store to make some extra money. As I worked there and spent more time with them I saw that not only did they not believe in Christ (which was ok since I could witness) but they liked to mock religion and Christianity in particular. I tried to defend my faith but since I'm still very new it was diffcult to come up with answers when I was put on the spot about Evolution and other controversies in the Bible. The old manager that was there was a born again and he was one of the reasons that I came back to Christ. He left and he has been a spiritual adviser to me. One of my good friends from the store who is now the store manager is a good guy, but his attitude toward Christianity rubs me the wrong way. He acts like me going to church is "weird". At first it almost made me feel peer pressure. Now that I'm stronger it doesn't affect me, but it still makes me feel awkward that he thinks that way. I don't have a problem that he doesn't believe but I do have issue that he mock my beliefs. He doesn't say it to my face but anyone else who speaks openly about their faith. Last night it feels like that I hit the last straw. My friend and I went out to chill and eat and we got into a discussion about faith b/c some Mormons tried to stop us out side. So he goes on this tirade about religion and how people are stupid b/c they "follow a book that was written by a bunch of dudes" I tried to explain to him about faith and the such, but he just wasn't having it. When we got back to his place his roommates who are also of the I don't believe b/c I saw one internet documentary and not I'm convinced that the entire bible is wrong. They complained b/c there are two churches that are being build near where they live and there are two many churches. They said that they want to create their own church based off the Rubin sandwich (I'm not kidding.) They are my friends but it not only say don't be unevenly yoked. Christ said that it's those who are sick need a physician, not the healthy. What do I do? Do I try to stick around and witnesses to them, or do I cut my losses and find myself peolpe of a like mind?

BrilliantSunrise

Jan 28, 2008
Sounds like you're in my shoes. I have a few friends like that. Mainly just two of the main people in my little group of friends. A large percentage of my friends aren't exactly religious, but two of them are a real pain in the rear end when it comes to religion. They're are two great guys and all that, but they try their best to disprove religion and all that jazz. It's pretty annoying so I know how you feel. I been a Christian for a long while but I haven't exactly been a very good one until here just recently. Even so, I'm going to love those two very much and just let them say all they want and let God's words pour out of my mouth in return. Maybe they'll get it through they're thick skulls someday.We can't save everyone we come in contact with. We all know that. I know how it feels to want to save someone you really care about and tell them about how great God is and everything else but sometimes we just need to step back and go along with the flow for a bit and just help them when you get the chance. And when I say go with the flow, I don't mean going out and partying with them and all that, I just me keep your cool and stuff.I've been reading a book series my best friend let me borrow, she's a really big Christian. Anyway, it's The Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin. I'm not sure you'd be interested, but in the fourth book, she goes to college and gets a roommate that's totally opposite from her. Caitlin is a very divoted Christian and Liz, her roommate, was a wild child, to put it simply. She was also quite subborn. Finally, Caitlin just stepped back and let Liz have her space for a while. Now I'm in the fifth book, which is the last one of that series, and they are actually pretty good friends. Caitlin even believes that Liz may be trying to get back to God or at least close to it. I believe it too because they're is such a huge difference in the girl. Just so you know, the fourth book starts with Caitlin's freshman year (first year) of college and ends close to the end of it or a little after. The fifth one starts at the beginning of her senior year (fourth year) so she had all that time to slow work her way into Liz's life and try to help her and the girl still hasn't come around but I'm sure she's close to it.Anyways...my point is we all have people around us that needs our help and though your friends make fun of Christianity and all that, there's still a place in their heart that knows they do need God and if you keep hanging around them and just being a good friend to them, soon enough they might just come around like Liz. It'll be a rough rode, it is for me and was for Caitlin. It was so rough for her, she almost got a new roommate. But in the end, I just hope I can get those two and maybe even others in my group to turn their hearts to God. All I need to do is pray that God will help me be a witness to them and just help me and make sure that I say the right words to them.I hope this helps you. God bless.

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
I know that I have to work on him and in God's own time he'll hopefully come around. It's when he comes out and mocks religion in general, that's where I have the problem. I have no problem with someone attacking me directly I can handle that. It's when they make uninformed comments or say things like "I'm going to go to churches and hand out flyers about the reuben sandwich.

Cybella

Mar 25, 2008
Well, I was not always a Christian, but I did have many Christian friends. I think it was htem that really supported me in my conversion, and I don't know where I would be without them.

Reymus

Jan 30, 2008
Hey there.I've been kind of lurking on this board for a while, but haven't posted until today.I used to be one of those atheists that mocked Christians. I never really made fun of other religions, because they didn't affect my life in any way, but, in my mind, the Christians were trouble.I've been a Christian for years now, but I still understand all the arguments I used to make against Christianity, which sort of helps me fight against the closed-mindedness.I tend to use scientific arguments for God in order to get non-Christians thinking about belief in God, that it actually is harder to come up with scientific evidence against God, than it is to give evidence that supports God.If you work in a game shop, you probably are a bit of a geek, like me. So you might have an understanding of the scientific world. Use your strengths.I don't know if I'm allowed to do this on this board, and if I'm not, let me know and I'll not do it again, but I'd like to point out a couple of articles you might be able to use in your arguments with your friends.The first is an article about the fact that, if the scientific theory of the Big Bang is correct, it only gives more evidence of the glory of God, instead of proving He doesn't exist. The article is located at a website called HisFaithful.com. I can't post links yet, but google it or message me privately and I'll send you the linksOne of the other arguments I've seen regards the idea that if God existed, and if He loved us, as the Bible says, that the world wouldn't be such a miserable place. I found an article at the above website that goes pretty in depth to answer that question, and many of my non-Christian friends have done some pretty in-depth soul searching after reading it.The last thing I want to point out is a book. It's called The Language of God, and can be found in any bookstore or on Amazon. It's written by the scientist that headed up the Human Genome Project, which mapped out the entire human genome. He believes wholeheartedly in the Christian God, but also believes that scientists are uncovering the truth about the way the universe works, and that science and faith can co-exist peacefully. I highly recommend it to both Christians and non-Christians alike, because it makes both sides think about their position in an argument that shouldn't exist.Other than that, read the Gospels, make sure you understand Christ's message, and think through the arguments that your atheist friends have against Christianity.One of the big arguments I know most atheists make is about Christian hypocrisy. They say "well, this guy's a Christian, but he's sinning left and right." Remember to point out that Christians aren't perfect, and that, in order for us to be saved, we actually fully admit that. And that just because we're Christian, doesn't mean we become perfect, that we make mistakes, but that we try to improve on ourselves. If they point out that Christians have done horrible things in the past, like the Crusades, or the Spanish Inquisition, or the Witch Trials, explain that those were actions done by people, not because their religion told them so, but because they were wrong-headed, and twisted the Word of God to say what they wanted. You can even point out that much evil was done when religion had nothing to do with it. Millions died in Russia under Stalin, with no religious reason behind it. Incredible amounts of evil has been done in China, in an effort to crush religious belief by a non-religious government.Any argument a non-Christian has can be answered with a little bit of thought. If your friends ask a question of you that you don't have an answer to, just say "I don't know, but I'll find out." I'm sure people here are quite happy to help you in your search for answers.So, I may have run on with my reply a little bit, and I hope I didn't violate any board rules, but I hope it helps.RegardsReymus

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks Reymus and no you have not violated any rules as you can see we have a non christian forum and we have had these exact arguments.