How to lose and leave saving faith.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
The Bible never specifically speaks of losing salvation nor justification, but instead speaks of losing and leaving those things of God given to us that accompanying His salvation.

But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

Namely that includes God's Spirit, love, and life. Here's some Bible examples.

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

The salt of God is the bearing fruit by doing good by His Spirit dwelling within us. If we cease to do good and bear fruit, or to begin doing such things from the heart, then we lose that which justifies us with God. His Spirit. Like the dead branch not abiding in the vine, what we once had from God is lost to us, and now all our works are counted as dead with God, and are cast down to be trodden and burned.

For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

Like the faithless servant hiding his talent given by God in a napkin, we can lose what we have, by not doing the will of God with it. The faith and Spirit of God are not given us just to have alone, but only so we can do His will righteously and holily from the heart.

For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

With the prodigal son, the Bible teaches that we must first be found in order to become lost. He was a prodigal son, not just a prodigal like all lost unbelievers. As it was with the lost sheep of Israel in the OT, so it is with the lost sheep of Israel of God in the NT.

The Lord promises to seek us while lost, but in the meantime we are lost. Only those who wake up to righteous judgement and repent (Ps 35:23)(Eph 5:14) will be found alive again by the Father, even as with the prodigal son.

For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

And so, as with the foolish servant hiding his free gift from God, we can lose that which have with the salvation and justification of Christ. And as the Bible says, we are lost and must be found, we are dead and must live again.

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

We see here how we lose what we had given to us freely by God, when He saves and justifies us unto life. We lose such things because we leave them. We leave off from having them, because we cease to do those things for which we are given them: the Spirit, the Faith, and the Life of Jesus Christ.
Here Jesus says that we can indeed leave is His love, that was given us by the Holy Ghost.

And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

And how do we leave His love? By leaving His works of love. We leave off from doing His will at all, and in this case we leave off doing good works from the heart.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

The Bible teaches through Paul that any and all works we do on our own (Titus 3:5), that are not in love with God, are counted as filthy rags by God. If we leave off doing good works from the heart, as the Ephesians began to do, then we leave the love of Christ, and must repent and return to doing the first works by our first love of God, that we freely recieved by the Holy Ghost.

As Peter would say in Acts 3:12, we leave our first love of God, by beginning to do our own good works by power of our own will and holiness. Paul confirms this in Titus 1, when teaching about works of our own righteousness, that do not save nor justify us with Christ. No such works are justified and acceptable to God, whether before coming to Christ or during our life with Christ.

And so, while the Bible never specifically says we 'lose' God's salvation and justification, the Bible certainly does say we can lose that which He gives us freely with His salvation and justification: His Spirit, life, and love. We do so by leaving and forsaking God and Christ, in order to continue or return to doing our own works outwardly by our own will power.

Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

And he went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The LORD is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you.

Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more.

Like Adam and Eve, we can forsake the love and life of God's Spirit, to serve ourselves as our own gods, by doing our good works outwardly only, and not from a heart full of the Holy Ghost.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
And so the exhortation of Paul is simple. If we are loving God in deeds and in truth from the heart, then just keep it up unto the end, and don't begin doing our works an hireling on the job.

This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.

We see here once again how the Bible speaks of losing that which we have, as well as losing that which we have done. We lose the justification of our works we have done, by leaving off from doing them from the heart in love with Jesus.

The Ephesians were being told by Jesus, that He knew their works, but they were losing His justification of those works, even while continuing to do them outwardly. They had left their first love of God, by doing them without His Spirit from the heart.

And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

The Bible shows what the Lord can give in natural blessings, He can certainly also take away. However in the case of Job, we see that the true treasure is keeping faith and love of God in the heart. And this we can lose by leaving off from doing His will in Spirit and in truth.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ghada, there are some what blessings here for doing right, in wisdom with God as your guide, and there are chastenments for doing wrong, in wisdom of ones own self.

Then there are everlasting blessings in the after life, you got some good teachings here brother.

All glory to Yahava, and the Lord Yeshua. :)

all the best, Matthew