• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:26 - For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus (Period.) *Not through faith and water baptism. Also read John 1:12 - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. *Received Him, given the right to become children of God, through believing in His name, not through water baptism.

Galatians 3:27 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on/clothed yourself with Christ. The Greek word for "put on" is "enduo" and means to enclose oneself in, as when one "puts on" clothes or armor or some other item. Involved in this is the idea of "imitation" and "identification." Just as 1 Corinthians 10:2 says that all (the Israelites) were "baptized into Moses" in the cloud and in the sea, but this does not mean they were literally water baptized into the body of Moses.

So how does one "put on" Christ in baptism? Is it because one becomes a "child of God" through water baptism? NO. "Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness and let us put on the armor of light...put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof." (Romans 13:12,14) This exhortation is written to Christians (those already saved). Evidently then, baptism is not the only way to "put on" Christ. To "put on" Christ is to conform to Him, imitate Him. So it is in baptism; we "put on" Christ, conforming to Him in the ordinance that declares Him to be our Savior. So, if "put on" Christ means saved through water baptism, apparently, we are not saved yet. We must also "put on" Christ by making no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts in order to be saved as well. (Romans 13:14) Right? NO. Let's be consistent. This exhortation is to those ALREADY SAVED.

"Put off," wrote Paul, "the old man," and "put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness"(Ephesians 4:22,24); And "put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (Ephesians 6:11) The allusion is putting off old clothes and putting on new ones, to enclosing oneself in armor, etc. When a soldier puts on armor, he is imitating his superiors and is revealing himself to be a soldier. One does not put on a uniform in order to become a soldier. Simply putting on a soldier's uniform does not make one become a soldier. Once one is made a soldier one is then able to put on and wear the uniform that distinguishes or marks them as a soldier.

So too with being water baptized, the Christian puts on robes for which they have previously been qualified to wear. The putting on of Christ is not what makes one become a Christian, but one which becomes a token of it, as in Romans 13:14. If one puts on the clothes of a Christian, in water baptism, without first becoming a Christian (child of God through faith), then one becomes an imposter, and is declaring, in baptism, to be what they are not.
Wrong.,,,,dead wrong.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
There are many scriptures regarding "getting wet",

Get water baptized annually, if you want to do it.
Meet me in Israel, at the Sea of Galilee, and i'll water baptize you again.... no problem.
As a matter of fact we can also go to the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea and the Red sea and the Dead sea all in one day, and i'll dunk you 5 times in one day.
How's that?
Will that do it for you?
We'll get you good and wet.....just like you and the Pope and the Jehovah's witnesses like it.

But never commit the Cross Denying Heresy of teaching that Water washes away sin, as this transgresses against the Blood sacrifice and death of Jesus on the Cross that IS ACTUALLY = your Salvation.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Get water baptized annually, if you want to do it.
Meet me in Israel, at the Sea of Galilee, and i'll water baptize you again.... no problem.
As a matter of fact we can also go to the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea and the Red sea and the Dead sea all in one day, and i'll dunk you 5 times in one day.
How's that?
Will that do it for you?
We'll get you good and wet.....just like you and the Pope and the Jehovah's witnesses like it.

But never commit the Cross Denying Heresy of teaching that Water washes away sin, as this transgresses against the Blood sacrifice and death of Jesus on the Cross that IS ACTUALLY = your Salvation.
Not true.
God's word prevails.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not yet...and from you I don't expect it.
I suggest you stop harmonizing and start following God;s word.
If you don't properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine then you will only end up with contradictions resulting in not properly following God's word.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine then you will only end up with contradictions resulting in not properly following God's word.
We see that in your interpretations. Suggest you stop it.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see that in your interpretations. Suggest you stop it.
The next time you attempt to read your bias into Galatians 3:27 in regard to the words, "put on" be sure to notice the preceding verse on how to become a child of God mentions faith and not baptism. Compare that with John 1:12. Also see Romans 13:12-14, Ephesians 4:22-24 and Ephesians 6:11 in regard to the words, "put on."

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.” (Isaiah 51:7)

“For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool: but my righteousness shall be for ever, and my salvation from generation to generation.” (Isaiah 51:8)

Amen!

:woohoo!:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God's word is the seed that Paul preached, and Apollos did the baptizing of those who believed, and the Lord gave the increase as similarly stated he did in Acts 2:47 "And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."
How are we saved? By grace through faith and not by works, including water baptism. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

In Acts 4:4, we read - However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. *What happened to baptism?

In Acts 5:14, we read - And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women. *What happened to baptism?

There are many scriptures regarding "getting wet", the command to do so as well as the irrefutable benefits, such as remission of sin, being added to the body of Christ which is his church, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, being buried with Christ, etc.. you can dismiss them all if you like, your call, but I see no reason to debate this with you since it's clear and irrefutable. Goodbye
There are a handful of alleged prooftexts which are often cited to prove that the Bible makes baptism absolutely necessary for salvation, yet after a careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, although they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is regularly associated with conversion and salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are we saved? By grace through faith and not by works, including water baptism. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

In Acts 4:4, we read - However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. *What happened to baptism?

In Acts 5:14, we read - And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women. *What happened to baptism?

There are a handful of alleged prooftexts which are often cited to prove that the Bible makes baptism absolutely necessary for salvation, yet after a careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, although they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is regularly associated with conversion and salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.
Question in your thread do you think that is the only command toward salvation?
What about this passage Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Do you think one can have salvation with out keeping the command to repent?

What about this one Romans 10:8-10
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

In Romans 10:16 we see that the gospel is to be obeyed Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? And how are we to obey the gospel we find that answer in Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

So it looks to me like the word of God has more to say on how to receive salvation other than the command to believe. We must take all that is commanded on the subject of salvation and harmonize the scriptures to get the full plan as God has laid it out. I posted what God had to say on this not from my own words but from the oracles of God my Farther.

Lets us seek the truth in the word and chew on it in completion not just nibble on our favorite passages.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Only by mailmandan's bible ...not the authentic one.......as reflected here in 1611 KJV Bible;

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 10;47-48...
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of the Bible).

===================================
Is there another language I could convert this too which would help your understanding?

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about this passage Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

In Romans 10:16 we see that the gospel is to be obeyed Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? And how are we to obey the gospel we find that answer in Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

So it looks to me like the word of God has more to say on how to receive salvation other than the command to believe. We must take all that is commanded on the subject of salvation and harmonize the scriptures to get the full plan as God has laid it out. I posted what God had to say on this not from my own words but from the oracles of God my Farther.

Lets us seek the truth in the word and chew on it in completion not just nibble on our favorite passages.
You are correct.

If one wishes to perpetuate ......new age religion interpretations of God's word..... one could advocate repentance is replaced by John 3;16...and that would be as incorrect as using it to replace the umbrella of grace, because that is the grace umbrella established by Christ giving His life on the cross.

Sad.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, we must repent (change our mind) in order to be saved because if we don't repent then we will not believe the gospel and become saved. (Acts 11:17,18; 15:7-9) Repentance and faith are two sides to the same coin. Where you have one you must have the other. Repentance unto salvation 'precedes' believe/faith.

Matthew 21:32 - For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. *Notice the order.

Mark 1:15 - And saying: The time is accomplished, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent and believe the gospel. *Notice the order.

Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. *Notice the order.

So, what about it? I've heard certain people over the years (especially those who attend the church of Christ/Campbellites) misinterpret Romans 10:9-10 in such a way that means we can believe unto righteousness today, but are still lost until we confess Christ, which may be next week and then we are finally saved next week, but that is not what Paul is talking about here. Also, someone who is moot (unable to speak) would remain lost according to that erroneous interpretation of Romans 10:9,10 for failing to "verbally confess with their mouth."

Confessing with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in our heart that God raised Him from the dead are not two separate steps to salvation but are chronologically together. Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, in your mouth and in your heart" (TOGETHER) that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, (notice the reverse order from verse 9-10) - that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Confess/believe; believe/confess.

1 Corinthians 12:3 - Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except BY the Holy Spirit. There is divine influence or direct operation of the Holy Spirit in the heart of a person when confessing Jesus as Lord. This confession is not just a simple acknowledgment that Jesus is the Lord (even the demons believe that), but is a deep personal conviction that Jesus is that person's Lord and Savior.

So simply believing in our head (and not in our heart) that God raised Him from the dead does not result in righteousness and simply giving "lip service" to the words "Jesus is Lord" not by the Holy Spirit is not unto salvation. Also, those who teach that we are not saved until 'after' we are water baptized (particularly Campbellites) create a problematic contradiction for themselves. Campbellites place confession before baptism in their 4-5 step plan of salvation that culminates in salvation water baptism, yet Paul said confession is made unto salvation (Romans 10:10) and confession is before water baptism in their multi-step plan. Hmm..

In Romans 10:16 we see that the gospel is to be obeyed Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Works-salvationists typically stumble over this verse. Romans 10:16 - But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” We obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel. (Romans 1:16)

And how are we to obey the gospel we find that answer in Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Water baptism is not a part of the gospel. (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4; Romans 1:16)

Acts 2:38 seems to be the pet verse of water-salvationists. *See post #104 from the link below:

So it looks to me like the word of God has more to say on how to receive salvation other than the command to believe.
On the surface, it naturally looks that way to works-salvationists. It's not believe + works.

We must take all that is commanded on the subject of salvation and harmonize the scriptures to get the full plan as God has laid it out. I posted what God had to say on this not from my own words but from the oracles of God my Farther.
We need to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine instead of distorting and perverting passages of scripture in an effort to "patch together" a works-based false gospel.

Oh, the irony. :oops:

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To put off the old man, first of all you must repent. Repent that you have fallen from your first love for Christ when you were in the honeymoon period. Your love has run cool. You respect Him yes, but do you love Him with your whole mind soul and strength? This is the love He wants from you. You can only have it if you are restored by Him to the condition of your heart you were in when you gave your life to Him, and more.

Then start putting right in your life all the things you know are not of the kingdom. This is not works, it is obedience. Then ask Him to show you the secret sins. If you are sincere He will give revelation of these things but otherwise will not respond till you are. Then it is a matter of learning to listen to that still small voice and obeying it immediately. Then He will lead you on the road to perfection which is putting on the new man.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Azim

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, we must repent (change our mind) in order to be saved because if we don't repent then we will not believe the gospel and become saved. (Acts 11:17,18; 15:7-9) Repentance and faith are two sides to the same coin. Where you have one you must have the other. Repentance unto salvation 'precedes' believe/faith.

Matthew 21:32 - For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. *Notice the order.

Mark 1:15 - And saying: The time is accomplished, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent and believe the gospel. *Notice the order.

Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. *Notice the order.

So, what about it? I've heard certain people over the years (especially those who attend the church of Christ/Campbellites) misinterpret Romans 10:9-10 in such a way that means we can believe unto righteousness today, but are still lost until we confess Christ, which may be next week and then we are finally saved next week, but that is not what Paul is talking about here. Also, someone who is moot (unable to speak) would remain lost according to that erroneous interpretation of Romans 10:9,10 for failing to "verbally confess with their mouth."

Confessing with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in our heart that God raised Him from the dead are not two separate steps to salvation but are chronologically together. Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, in your mouth and in your heart" (TOGETHER) that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, (notice the reverse order from verse 9-10) - that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Confess/believe; believe/confess.

1 Corinthians 12:3 - Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except BY the Holy Spirit. There is divine influence or direct operation of the Holy Spirit in the heart of a person when confessing Jesus as Lord. This confession is not just a simple acknowledgment that Jesus is the Lord (even the demons believe that), but is a deep personal conviction that Jesus is that person's Lord and Savior.

So simply believing in our head (and not in our heart) that God raised Him from the dead does not result in righteousness and simply giving "lip service" to the words "Jesus is Lord" not by the Holy Spirit is not unto salvation. Also, those who teach that we are not saved until 'after' we are water baptized (particularly Campbellites) create a problematic contradiction for themselves. Campbellites place confession before baptism in their 4-5 step plan of salvation that culminates in salvation water baptism, yet Paul said confession is made unto salvation (Romans 10:10) and confession is before water baptism in their multi-step plan. Hmm..

Works-salvationists typically stumble over this verse. Romans 10:16 - But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” We obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel. (Romans 1:16)

Water baptism is not a part of the gospel. (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4; Romans 1:16)

Acts 2:38 seems to be the pet verse of water-salvationists. *See post #104 from the link below:

On the surface, it naturally looks that way to works-salvationists. It's not believe + works.

We need to properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching our conclusion on doctrine instead of distorting and perverting passages of scripture in an effort to "patch together" a works-based false gospel.

Oh, the irony. :oops:
The Irony is....your position represents a ...nothing burger.

You have no authority to discard the requirement of baptism as scripture states. Why your type is hell bent on trying to change scripture is not known except to support a denominational position which is contrary to scriptures.

Maybe some day you will see your for proper scripture interpretation.

Acts 2; 38 et al...says we must be Babtized.

No matter how many times you try........you have no authority to try and change that.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Irony is....your position represents a ...nothing burger.

You have no authority to discard the requirement of baptism as scripture states. Why your type is hell bent on trying to change scripture is not known except to support a denominational position which is contrary to scriptures.

Maybe some day you will see your for proper scripture interpretation.

Acts 2; 38 et al...says we must be Babtized.

No matter how many times you try........you have no authority to try and change that.
Compare your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38 with Acts 10:43-47. Acts 2:38 is not the only verse in the Bible. I have changed nothing. I simply properly harmonize scripture with scripture before reaching my conclusion on doctrine and the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that belief/faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) *Perfect Harmony*

*NOWHERE does scripture state that whoever is not baptized will not be saved. That is your eisegesis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapture Bound

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible makes it clear that men are saved prior to receiving water baptism. These Gentiles in Acts 10 received the gift of the Holy Spirit and were manifesting the spiritual gift of tongues (which is only for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) after believing the gospel but before receiving water baptism. (Acts 10:44-47) This observation must be balanced, however, by the fact that baptism was not considered an "optional extra" for these Gentiles. It was a command (Acts 10:48) that they were expected to obey. However, it was not obedience to this command that saved them, but their believing in Christ. (Acts 10:43)

Baptism is the expected initial outward response to the gospel, but it is not a part of the gospel itself. (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4) There are a handful of 'alleged' prooftexts which are often cited to prove that the Bible makes baptism mandatory for salvation. A careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, though they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is regularly associated with conversion and salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.

Reactions: Rapture Bound