How to recognize a Legalist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So my conclusion is this..
For the born of God, they need no man to tell them to love their neighbors. God has already wrote this on their heart.

The letter kills.

The Torah of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus , RESURRECTION LIFE IN POWER, GOD'S POWER !

Never contradicts any of God's Word , Plan or Purpose.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 31:33-34 KJV
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. [34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord : for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord : for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Reactions: Joseph77

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
="Waiting on him, post: 723895, member: 8047"]Jeremiah 31:33-34 KJV
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. [34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord : for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord : for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
[/QUOTE
==================================================================

This is TRUTH, and is in perfect harmony with Ephesians, etc, where God Describes How To Do His Word, and teach one another in Christ.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Im not sure what you are teaching.. Is it mormonism or JW?
This is a skewed criticism based on your non-understanding due to your dogmatic beliefs about the bible....which are the modern heresy of an easy greasy grace salvation for a one time transaction of lip service to God.
Here is a fact for you...... Jesus died for the sin of the world. John 3:16

It is you that denies salvation to others besides they whom you judge to be non-Jw's and other religionists by a religious conceit. In fact it is your own religious bent that makes you so judgmental.

Sin is committed by Sinners.
The Blood of Jesus, an the Death of Jesus, redeems us (removes the Judgment due us for our sin), ...

Actually we are justified by the resurrection of Christ....that is as we partake of that life to walk in His life by grace. The blood of Jesus isn't some religious thing as you suggest. It is the very life of Jesus we are meant to live in. The life is in the blood. So you espouse a dead dogmatic religion that has no life or love in it. You are just one more religiously dogmatic person who speaks ideology...an empty ideology that promises much but has no life in it.

Being Born again is the result of Jesus's blood sacrifice being applied to every one who will Give God their Faith.
"faith is counted as Righteousness".

Being born again has to do with a spiritual quickening that brings us to Zion and God's presence. From there we walk in His power. What you are speaking of is the righteousness of faith....which is not the same at all as the righteousness of God. So for religious people...they can't discern the difference between God and a person's faith. These have made out their faith to BE a god.

You do not have any righteousness. So, you can't go to heaven until you get Righteousness. Salvation is "the Gift of Righteousness".

A lot of confusion here. What do you mean by go to heaven? Do you mean to be translated into God's kingdom in Zion right now...to walk in the light of His love and presence? Or do you mean an afterlife like Valhalla for the Vikings? Just what kind of religion are you espousing?
God as Christ on the cross is taking your sin and in place of this, THRU New Birth, He is giving you "the gift of Righteousness".
This is the result of "Justification by Faith".

Some truth here....but you seem to be able to misapply this.
We dont earn this, and we can't of ourselves keep it by living holy or being good., as our self effort cannot deal with our SIN.
Jesus Did.
Today, Resurrection Day, we celebrate this fact.
We don't earn holiness. It is a gift of God. But we will each give an account on what we have done...whether it is done in righteousness or not. So you are ignoring exactly one half of the truth. But you are so confused on this that you are missing BOTH righteousness AND holiness. The modern doctrines promise much but are like clouds that have no rain. Thery have nothing but a confused hodge-podge of biblical sounding sound bytes....without life or power.

The household of God will be judged on whether it's works are according to honour or dishonour. Some will receive a reward and others will be cut-off (although still "saved") into outer darkness. Of course there is also the very ignored way of humility and the fear of the Lord. But this is discouraged in most religious franchises. People instead are taught to build their sepulchers on high....to boast much and claim all. Such is the foolishness of man-made religious ideologies that have forsaken the whole counsel of God in favour of that that seems to give assurances and comfort without recourse to the truth. There is no detour around the cross that leads to life.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Grace reveals us to be "as Jesus is So are we in this World".... as this is the spiritual effect of the Blood Atonement.

God is not involved in smoke and mirrors. That is the domain of religion. And God is not religious.

So then grace EMPOWERS us to be as Jesus in the world. And this is the result of walking in His resurrection life. Jesus was raised for our justification.

Judgment will reveal who are really walking as Jesus in this world. Judgment will reveal they who walk by grace and they who have failed grace. And that is just the household of God being judged.

The whole world will be judged by their works. There is no exemption from a judgment that tests the kind of works we are doing in the flesh...in truth.

To be a follower of Christ means we are exempt from the condemnation of the world. But grace brings an even harder judgment. To whom much is given MORE is required. So we who fail grace will be cast away into outer darkness...forever.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a skewed criticism based on your non-understanding due to your dogmatic beliefs about the bible....which are the modern heresy of an easy greasy grace salvation for a one time transaction of lip service to God.
Good explanation of his approach. I can't identify for sure which errors he is promoting, but that much was clear - it was not simply the truth of Scripture, nor all in line with Scripture.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, in the last 15 yrs, the True Gospel or as Paul stated "my Gospel"... 2 Timothy 2:8 = "justification by faith".. "the GIFT of righteousness" has been demeaned

I don't think so. What has happened is that the legalists have decided that it's "faith alone", which God explicitly rejects.

James 2:24 Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only?

"Faith alone" is legalism. "Faith and works" is the Gospel.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its the same principle when dealing with a fake believer...or a Fake Pastor, or a Fake Pope... a false denomination.....ect.

Reader, All you do is notice one thing.....just Discern one single thing.....= Does this person believe that what Jesus <>Alone<> did on the Cross keeps them saved, or are they denying this, and teaching some version of Self SAVING to try to KEEP THEMSELVES SAVED.

The Legalist (heretic), will occasionally promote the idea of Jesus saving you, but beyond that is where they put on the brakes and build a wall of lies by twisting scriptures into a "list" of self saving Grace denying heresy.

Here is the Holy spotlight that reveals the Legalist. = 100%
A Legalist will never be able to agree, admit, believe, or accept.... that Jesus KEEPS THEM SAVED.

LEGALISM, is simply Faith that self effort keeps you saved. And this self effort will include a long list of things to do....such as "keeping the commandments, enduring to the end, keeping the Torah, being obedient, living holy, and on and on, the List just keeps on going and growing"...

So, what has happened is, this person, if they were ever born again, has come to a place in their mind where they now believe that THEY are to keep themselves saved by Performance and Deeds, and Self effort. They have literally replaced Jesus and The Cross, with themselves and their LIST of "must do this, must keep that, have to be sure i confess and repent, and do do do works works works, to KEEP THEMSELVES SAVED.
See it?

Listen, You are ether trusting in Christ ALONE to get you into heaven, or you have become a "self saver" a Legalist, who has your little cut and paste scripture pack list of things you will say you have to do, to get yourself into heaven and to keep from losing your salvation.
You have rejected Philippians 1:6
You will try to chop down The Cross with your self effort and your scripture twisting, especially with respect to Hebrews, Matthew, and James, as all Heretics live in those 3 epistles and could not explain or even find Paul's teaching on "justification by Faith", if they used a Laser beam and a flashlight.

A Legalist has kicked Jesus off the Cross, and is now up there being a "self saver".
Thats a Legalist.
Paul said these people are "fallen from Grace" as they have LEFT GRACE far behind and have nailed themselves to their own cross with their Self Righteous Nails .
""Look at ME, im up here on the Cross trying to KEEP MY SELF SAVED, TRYING TO NOT LOSE MY SALVATION...by my SELF EFFORT".

Once you learn to SEE THIS in a person's THEOLOGICAL concept of "salvation", then you will know if YOU are a Legalist, or if you are dealing with a Real Believer who understands Grace, or if you are listening to a person who has rejected God's Grace, and has replaced Jesus on the Cross with their list of "self effort to keep themselves saved".

Thats a heretic, and they are very easy to define and spot, once you learn how to notice them.......once you learn how to discern them..
<B><

That interpretation probably covers almost everyone in the church. Anyone who refuses to flow with the Spirit is a legalist as Frank Sinatra sang "I did it my way." Churches all over the world are legalists because they have this mindset which says "we have been doing this for the last 100 years so we're not going to change now."

Any church that does the same thing week in and week out is a legalist church and they deny the statement of faith or their mission statement because it cannot be achieved by doing that same thing every week.

As someone said, 'Only a fool does the same thing every week and expects a different outcome." If that is the case, there are a lot of churches run by fools.

When I lived in the UK, I was part of a church that had no platform, no pulpit, no preacher, no programme and no pastor. Whatever happened happened..under the direction of the Holy Spirit. That church grew and grew and grew and grew. It was the cause of churches starting up all over the country. People visited and got the vision and went back home and started a church in a similar style. Hundreds of them.

It happened because we were not legalists. We left the details to the Holy Spirit and whatever he said to do we did it.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im not sure what you are teaching.. Is it mormonism or JW?
Here is a fact for you...... Jesus died for the sin of the world. John 3:16
Sin is committed by Sinners.
The Blood of Jesus, an the Death of Jesus, redeems us (removes the Judgment due us for our sin), ...
Being Born again is the result of Jesus's blood sacrifice being applied to every one who will Give God their Faith.
"faith is counted as Righteousness".
You do not have any righteousness. So, you can't go to heaven until you get Righteousness. Salvation is "the Gift of Righteousness".
God as Christ on the cross is taking your sin and in place of this, THRU New Birth, He is giving you "the gift of Righteousness".
This is the result of "Justification by Faith".
We dont earn this, and we can't of ourselves keep it by living holy or being good., as our self effort cannot deal with our SIN.
Jesus Did.
Today, Resurrection Day, we celebrate this fact.

So, what reformed denomination do you belong to? Or are you Lutheran? It has to be of either Martin Luther or John Calvin.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What an odd thing to say. . . .

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Taking up your cross is symbolic of "dying to self" its the idea of "love not the things in the world".

Consider this..
You can be a follower of Jesus, and keep the commandments, be water baptized, join a church, tithe, do penance, repent, confess sin, pray to Mary, endure to the end", and one day die and go to hell then the lake of fire.

Can you explain why that is, Giuliano?
Do you know why?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
So Abraham and Noah and everyone else born before the Mosaic Law was given was still under it? Think of what you're saying.

Read what im saying more carefully.
Ive not written the word Noah, and ive not said that Abraham was under the law.
This is why you can't quote me, but you can make stuff up, and pretend i said it.
Dont do that.

Here is the verse..>"where there is NO LAW, there is NO TRANSGRESSION".
Adam, Eve, Abraham, Noah, .....lived before the law.
Its the law that reveals you to be a sinner, because its the effect of not keeping the law or commandments that allows THEM to judge you.

A legalist does not give Christ full credit for keeping them saved. They can only agree that He started their salvation.
They do not believe that Jesus keeps them saved, because they are too busy trying to do this for themselves.
They are become "fallen from Grace" "Self Savers".

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
That interpretation probably covers almost everyone in the church..

No, my interpretation only reflects the Legalist.
Also, The Cross is not up for debate. The Blood atonement is not open for reinterpretation or Political Correctness, and is not interested in Social Justice.
So, there is only one WAY to Heaven. John 14:6 There is only one GOSPEL that you believe, that God offered.
God didn't offer "many ways to God", or "different strokes for different folks".
What He did, was solve a problem you have, that you can't solve by trying to being good.
What is that problem? = You have no righteousness, you are a SINNER.
If Christ alone take care of your SIN Problem, then you have been born again, and this is strictly related to the Cross and God as Christ on it, not only paying for your sin, but becoming you sin.
Ive no idea if you were taught this Truth in England, but you can believe that Paul taught it in the NT.
And you can believe that i just told you the same.

B

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
So, what reformed denomination do you belong to? Or are you Lutheran? It has to be of either Martin Luther or John Calvin.

Im non of that....

John Calvin was a partial heretic who burned people.
Only the Dark History of the Dark Ages Popes reflects more torture and burning of human beings who didnt agree with their theological nonsense.
Calvin's followers are often the worst type of NT heretics who teach that God sends some to hell, some to heaven, and its a roll of the dice for you.
The "predestined elect" is one of the most rotten Grace rejecting Theologies ever birthed out of the pit.
Calvin taught doctrine(s) that do not agree with or reflect the Grace of God, or "justification by faith", as taught by Paul.
Ive never been inside a Lutheran Church.

Want to do more guessing?
Fire away.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Good - as written in Romans 2, the ones who do what Torah says are justified , because they are showing that God has written Torah on their hearts, even though they do not have Torah , they may not have a copy in person of the Bible at all, nor ever have read the Bible.

The old testament has been replace by the New One.
The old covenant has been replaced by a New One.
Law has been replaced by Grace, regarding the born again.
Its Still in effect for the Christ Rejector.
The Cross has replaced then nullified all self saving ideas about being a good person to try to convince God to take human being into His SINLESS family.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoeveer rejects God's Word, has already rejected God the Father and Jesus.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im non of that....

John Calvin was a partial heretic who burned people.
Only the Dark History of the Dark Ages Popes reflects more torture and burning of human beings who didnt agree with their theological nonsense.
Calvin's followers are often the worst type of NT heretics who teach that God sends some to hell, some to heaven, and its a roll of the dice for you.
The "predestined elect" is one of the most rotten Grace rejecting Theologies ever birthed out of the pit.
Calvin taught doctrine(s) that do not agree with or reflect the Grace of God, or "justification by faith", as taught by Paul.
Ive never been inside a Lutheran Church.

Want to do more guessing?
Fire away.

Well, you somehow have been taught their beliefs. How about Baptist?