How to recognize a Legalist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
="Behold, post: 725445, member: 8641"]Im non of that....

John Calvin was a partial heretic who burned people.
Only the Dark History of the Dark Ages Popes reflects more torture and burning of human beings who didnt agree with their theological nonsense.
Calvin's followers are often the worst type of NT heretics who teach that God sends some to hell, some to heaven, and its a roll of the dice for you.
The "predestined elect" is one of the most rotten Grace rejecting Theologies ever birthed out of the pit.
Calvin taught doctrine(s) that do not agree with or reflect the Grace of God, or "justification by faith", as taught by Paul.
Ive never been inside a Lutheran Church.

Want to do more guessing?
Fire away.
[/QUOTE
========================================
Guessing? Closet Capitalist ? Or selling statues ?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, my interpretation only reflects the Legalist.
Also, The Cross is not up for debate. The Blood atonement is not open for reinterpretation or Political Correctness, and is not interested in Social Justice.
So, there is only one WAY to Heaven. John 14:6 There is only one GOSPEL that you believe, that God offered.
God didn't offer "many ways to God", or "different strokes for different folks".
What He did, was solve a problem you have, that you can't solve by trying to being good.
What is that problem? = You have no righteousness, you are a SINNER.
If Christ alone take care of your SIN Problem, then you have been born again, and this is strictly related to the Cross and God as Christ on it, not only paying for your sin, but becoming you sin.
Ive no idea if you were taught this Truth in England, but you can believe that Paul taught it in the NT.
And you can believe that i just told you the same.

B
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

Reactions: Joseph77

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Cross has replaced then nullified all self saving ideas about being a good person to try to convince God to take human being into His SINLESS family.

This sounds good, but it is for itching ears who love sin and darkness. It is actually too good to be true, because it isn't.

I hope you will grasp the true gospel on this site. You will hear many who believe as you do, but I can relate to you. I was in a denomination that was the opposite of the gospel too, but it wasn't as bad as what you've been taught. Do yourself a great service while the world is in quarantine and read the New Testament from at least John through Jude, as if you have never heard anything concerning the gospel at all. Ask God to wipe your mind clean and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you His meaning to the verses and books. Also when you start a book, read it through in one sitting, especially Romans. The first 8 chapters is one teaching on sin and the law, and many false doctrines have come out of taking the middle of the teaching out of context, especially 3 - 5. Happy studying, and stay healthy and safe.

Believe it or not, I got the most profound understanding of the New Testament from reading it out of The Living Bible. I know it is a paraphrase, but if you come to a portion that you don't agree with or question, I was astounded when I immediately checked the passage in question from my NKJV, and it was correct. I just had never understood the verse in the first place, and now that it was clear, my whole doctrine was corrected and everything fell into place. I'm sure it is not perfectly correct, but I pray it will open your understanding as it did mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taking up your cross is symbolic of "dying to self" its the idea of "love not the things in the world".

Consider this..
You can be a follower of Jesus, and keep the commandments, be water baptized, join a church, tithe, do penance, repent, confess sin, pray to Mary, endure to the end", and one day die and go to hell then the lake of fire.

Can you explain why that is, Giuliano?
Do you know why?
Rubbish. Jesus said that those who follows him, keeps his commandments and endures to the end will be saved. I can only guess what you think. By your formula for salvation, if someone doesn't say, "I am under grace, not under the Law of Moses," he'll be damned.
Read what im saying more carefully.
Ive not written the word Noah, and ive not said that Abraham was under the law.
This is why you can't quote me, but you can make stuff up, and pretend i said it.
Dont do that.
I did quote you. Why are you saying something everyone here can see isn't true.

Waiting on Him asked you if, "Are you stating we're all born under the mossaic law?" Your answer in post #34 was, "Every person born, including your kids." I asked you about that in post #40, and I quoted you. Please be more careful when posting. People can't read your mind.

Here is the verse..>"where there is NO LAW, there is NO TRANSGRESSION".
Adam, Eve, Abraham, Noah, .....lived before the law.
Its the law that reveals you to be a sinner, because its the effect of not keeping the law or commandments that allows THEM to judge you.
And Gentiles were never under the Law of Moses. Remember? It was given to Israel through Moses and they agreed to keep it. They took a vow to keep it. My ancestors were not at Sinai. They didn't take that vow.
A legalist does not give Christ full credit for keeping them saved. They can only agree that He started their salvation.
They do not believe that Jesus keeps them saved, because they are too busy trying to do this for themselves.
They are become "fallen from Grace" "Self Savers".
I wouldn't say I am "saved". I haven't been saved yet. Neither have you. I would say Jesus is my Shepherd; and if I do what he tells me to do, then I have a reasonable hope he will save me. If I am disobedient and dash off on my own to sin, I do not assume Jesus is going to save me. I also do not think flattering Jesus will work. Your faith lies in a formula for salvation. If someone doesn't believe in "grace," he'll be damned. My faith is in God, not in a doctrine about grace. I trust God will save me, not my own belief in grace.

I do not think Jesus is going to save anyone who says, "It doesn't matter what I do. I can sin all I want. All that matters is that I tell myself Jesus is going to save me by grace and not by my works." That looks legalistic to me.

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't The false gospel worldwide starts with a message like "behold, you can still sin", "and be one with all of us.... don't worry about repentance or obedience"...?

Reactions: Episkopos

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not think Jesus is going to save anyone who says, "It doesn't matter what I do. I can sin all I want. All that matters is that I tell myself Jesus is going to save me by grace and not by my works." That looks legalistic to me.

If you are a preacher of mercy,
do not preach an imaginary, but the true, mercy.

If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong — sin boldly! — but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world.

We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, says Peter, are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign.
Martin Luther, letter to Melanchthon

The heart of legalism.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For clarity, here, contrast/compare Jesus view, vs 'the heart of legalism' ?

"Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong — sin boldly! — but let your trust in Christ be stronger"
Martin Luther

"Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven."
Jesus

Very clear contrast.

Reactions: Giuliano

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not expect such a shallow comparison from you.

That does not at all seem to be a comparison nor a contrast ,
let alone of a "legalist" at all.

If that is the best you can do to provide a so-called "legalist" (as if he was one),

you don't have a stand at all.

Very clear contrast.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not expect such a shallow comparison from you.

God's word is never "shallow." Often, it seems simple, but it's deeper than anyone can totally understand.

Luther's legalism was as complete is it could be. He coined the word "antinomianism"to assail those who held the Holy Spirit above the Law.

BlessedCreator

Apr 15, 2020
Oregon
www.gffg.info
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith in God is what saves. We can only have faith (trus) in God if we have a good conscience toward Him. We can only have a good conscience toward God if we obey Him.

This is why we are told that faith without works is dead. What works are these? These works are the commandments and precepts taught in the word of God, the Holy Bible. These commandments and precepts are the will of God for us.

This is why it says "he that doeth the will of God abideth forever".

Without obedience unto God you are lukewarm, a hypocrite, an unprofitable servant. All of which God tells us that at the last, will be cast away with the rest that commit iniquity.

Don't believe these easy believism doctrines of devil's. If we could be saved by simply believing then God wouldnt have given us scriptures such as Matthew 7:14 that tell us that few people find the way to eternal life. The way is through living in obedience unto God.

This is why we are told we must be born again to enter the kingdom of God. To be born again means to be transformed by God into a new moral life. This is a process. Dont believe these easy to believe and hear doctrines of demons that say you are born again at baptism. Bring burn again is a process. From turning from the world and doing your own will unto a new life lived according to God's righteous will.