How to skilfully wield the word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Many have the wrong idea of what wielding the word of God with skill is. We have no excuses for getting this wrong. None of us want others to think of us as false teachers. Shouldn't the thought that we may be one cause us to tremble at God's feet?

Wielding the word with skill is not:

- ignoring God's wrath OT,
- watering down a passage that seems to conflict with science or modern thinking,
- ignoring scripture that may cause offence,
- answering direct questions with indirect answers,
- out debating someone,
- being biased,
- being narrow minded.

It is:

- judging God properly,
- knowing scripture Hos 4:6
- dealing with ALL scripture 2 Pet 1:21,
- waiting on God's input when questioned or asked to preach Luke 12:11
- preaching the word as is John 1:1,
- using scripture to correct and end disagreements 2 Tim 3:16,
- harshly judging and knowing ourselves 1 Cor 11:31, 2 Cor 13:5
- used to attack evil and defend us from it 2 Cor 6:7
- used to separate thoughts and attitudes of the heart Heb 4:12
- constantly discerning saved from unsaved, 1 Cor 5:10

Conclusion: The word of God is our sword. We must 'know' scripture. We must 'know' God . We must 'arrive' at the truth 2 Tim 3:7. We must be open to correction and rebuke from scripture.

No more deception and dishonesty. No more ignorant / blissful half truths. God is not evil. God is the epitome of good. Know God. Know scripture. Wield the word of God truthfully with skill.

We owe it to God to judge him properly, defend Him properly and share Him properly.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize you’ve made some statements and scriptural ref’s but, where in scripture does it say one should judge God? Considering that "God" in Hebrew in the first chapter of Genesis is "Elohim" and that means (Creator and Judge). So how is it that you see that the Creator and Judge needs to be judged? Or even we have need to judge Him? Only a fool would think to stand in the judge’s court and judge to judge considering the fool has no power to do so, but yet the judge has power to deliver the fool from condemnation.
And since Jesus states that He has the power to raise us in the resurrection, and King David has said countless times that the Lord his God is his deliverer and has delivered him. How is it that we are to defend He who is supposed to have the power to deliver us from many dangers including death? Kind of backwards there KingJ.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
:) Well I agree with '''who are WE to judge God''. But lets face reality. If God did not want us to judge Him we would not have a brain with IQ > 10.

Would you serve the devil if he was in charge? If not why not?

See many atheists run down God. They judge him as evil. Converting atheists and many Christians in rebellion back to God's loving arms is achieved by simply helping them to judge God properly.

Think about this.....God says He is good....He is making a statement of Himself that we can judge. He is not saying ''on Tuesdays I decide to put on my ''good'' t-shirt'. He is not saying 'I am calling myself good but don't you dare look further then that statement. Just trust it blindly'.

It is when we judge God's reasoning behind all He has done that we can get to know Him better.

When an atheist comes to you and says...God is evil because God killed the Egyptians. Do you say ''God can do whatever He wants'' or ''God's last resort is calamity Jonah 4:2. if you look closer God warned them many times, sent plagues at increasing levels of severity'.

When we judge God there is ONLY good to be found. Judging God helps us realize that WE are the shortfall in every disaster.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:
:) Well I agree with '''who are WE to judge God''. But lets face reality. If God did not want us to judge Him we would not have a brain with IQ > 10.

Would you serve the devil if he was in charge? If not why not?

See many atheists run down God. They judge him as evil. Converting atheists and many Christians in rebellion back to God's loving arms is achieved by simply helping them to judge God properly.

Think about this.....God says He is good....He is making a statement of Himself that we can judge. He is not saying ''on Tuesdays I decide to put on my ''good'' t-shirt'. He is not saying 'I am calling myself good but don't you dare look further then that statement. Just trust it blindly'.

It is when we judge God's reasoning behind all He has done that we can get to know Him better.

When an atheist comes to you and says...God is evil because God killed the Egyptians. Do you say ''God can do whatever He wants'' or ''God's last resort is calamity Jonah 4:2. if you look closer God warned them many times, sent plagues at increasing levels of severity'.

When we judge God there is ONLY good to be found. Judging God helps us realize that WE are the shortfall in every disaster.

Do you mean like when the serpent was talking to Eve? Wasn’t the serpent trying to get Eve to use her brain and make a judgement of her own on what God said to Adam? Hence not only judging for herself what God said but also God. Also if they, Adam and Eve, believed or trusted blindly, as in taking for granted that what the Lord God says is the undisputed Truth, would we be in the dilemma of the need for redemption through His Word the Lord Jesus Christ, in the first place?

It is the maker that judges what is good for the made to be what it is made for, the made does not know what that is until the made is made it. The made can’t know without revelation. As in John’s description that we love because He has loved us first. And if you remember the Apostles were more often dumb founded about what Jesus said and did until the Holy Spirit revealed the meaning thereof.

See what you don’t understand is God’s good Judgement is expressed in His Commandments to. In our case to man. God (Creator and Judge) knows what is good for His creation. Certainly, it is not, the created that can judge what is good for itself. The living God is the source of life and has through His Word given life to all that have life therefore how is it that anything living know better about the life it has then the Lord God who has given it?

You waist your time considering the possible honesty in the hatred of God. The source of that hatred of God, is the father of lies, according to Jesus, isn’t that correct? Though hatred of what so many do in the name of God, yes, but that is a judgement of their own, of men that do what the judging do. If Mercy and Righteousness and Judgement is something that they admire and or have respect and honor for, then the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ would be loved by them.

If the none believer sees your God through you then you have misrepresented your God, because if the God of Israel is your God no one represents the Almighty but His Word. It is through His Word was all things made, and therefore all things made know Him through His Word, that came into the flesh of the Son of man, our Lord Jesus Christ.

God's Judgement is Good, not man's judgement.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
You are over spiritualizing / complicating a very simple matter. Of course man's judgement is not good. We are biased and have wicked hearts. But we are not brainless. God gave us the ability to judge Him when He gave us IQ > 10.

1 Cor 2:15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things. We serve God because He is good. We know He is good because He made us, the cross, His impartiality etc etc.

When you say the source of God's hatred is the devil, you confuse me completely. Are you implying he is the source of all evil? Scripture mentions him as the father of lies because he was the first free will creation to lie / be evil. He is certainly not going to be the only one suffering in hell.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:
You are over spiritualizing / complicating a very simple matter. Of course man's judgement is not good. We are biased and have wicked hearts. But we are not brainless. God gave us the ability to judge Him when He gave us IQ > 10.

1 Cor 2:15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things. We serve God because He is good. We know He is good because He made us, the cross, His impartiality etc etc.

When you say the source of God's hatred is the devil, you confuse me completely. Are you implying he is the source of all evil? Scripture mentions him as the father of lies because he was the first free will creation to lie / be evil. He is certainly not going to be the only one suffering in hell.

It’s quite obvious that you don’t seem to understand what it is Apostle Paul is explaining in the chapter of the scripture you’ve quoted. Paul explains that the wisdom and the judgement that he expresses and dose, is not of himself or of mankind but of God by virtue of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And this scripture has absolutely nothing to do with man judging God, or that one should practice the judging of God. That’s ludicrous.

Also where do you get "God’s hatred" from "hatred of God" ? It seems you just making this up as you go, and since you insist that one should use their brain, many that should start with you.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Let's not get ugly. I am enjoying this discussion with you. I may be slow. I fully grasp what Paul meant there though, I never missed the caps'd S in Spirit.

We have the ability to judge God's actions by chance? Us and angels have greater intelligence for a reason. Why does God explain Himself so much in scripture?
Why does scripture not read '''Egyptians disobeyed, God destroyed them''. Why did God need to send Moses and Jonah to plead His cause? Scripture is His word. Therein He gives us full explanations on every act of wrath.

I was a member on atheist forums for a couple of years. The most common discussion by me was helping there bias. There is no need to look at God from one side / with blinkers when both sides of the coin are in scripture. Sure, God can do whatever He wants...but He doesn't. He chooses to explain His actions. He chooses to give us a brain. God is guiltless of evil because He is guiltless of evil.

There is no ''good = opposite of evil for humans'' but with God...good = impartial on Wednesdays and partial on Tuesdays. Good = good. Good = free will = impartial always = long-suffering always = merciful always = always batting for our souls. We can rejoice that God is good. Not praise Him for being good whilst nervously waiting for the not so good side to Him.

I can even say that hell is good :p. An eternal home for those that hate Him. He 'could' destroy them. That's normally what evil people do with prisoners. We will soon see God is better then any Geneva convention. If not already noticing His treatment of the fallen angels....that is.

Hehe, I just noticed I partially repeated myself :).

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
KingJ,

May I suggest a word change for you in what I believe you are saying? I think you are trying to use the word discern and keep using the word judge.

I believe DP will agree with you more readily if you change that single word to what I think you are really trying to get across.

Or maybe I should just mind my own business.....

SL

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
When you discern with intent to pass judgement, you may as well call it judging.

Stating God is good or evil, is a judgement call.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok then KingJ, I just don’t want go on, if some one is trying to pull my chain for their own personal grins. I have also spend ample time on philosophy web sites where one gets a lot of responses from the atheist view. But your statement here seems to be a carry over from that, you are going to have to explain in more detail. I mean it’s not a reasonable thought in the Christian context to consider judging God’s actions. Now, if as suggested you are talking about discerning what is of God or not, which is not judgement at all, then maybe he is correct about the terminology but I warn you there is no such thing as chance in the case of, whether something is of God or not. So it seems to me you definitely mean something else.

Well intelligence is understanding and knowledge and comprehension of it, therefore that would be required if one is to understand what God says. Note of all that God made of the earth in the earth, it is man He speaks to and not only expects to heard, but also execute what His will is that He has expressed, if there be commandment therein. So yes the life the Lord God has given man requires comprehension of Him and His Word. The Living God speaks therefore it is given to us to understand so as to execute His Judgement in the earth according to His Commandment. (I know that was repetitive but I hope it’s a little clearer.) But on the other hand, it is usually the simple and the poor that readily understand and believe the Gospel message, and all things in creation obey God’s Word but men.

You should understand that God has given mankind place in the flesh in the earth and a life to live therein. He has no need to do your job for you. Hence He requires of us what He made us for.

But the bottom line in this case is, believing is not judging. As in, judging is a result of doubt which is a result of seeing something imperfect or incomplete according to one’s own judgement of what is complete, or good. Believing is a result of knowing, which is a result of revelation. Therefore those in the case of atheists will never believe in the God of Israel as long as they think to judge according to themselves because according to themselves is incomplete because they are incomplete, because as we know, all men are incomplete without Christ. There is no doubt if you know, and knowing is a result of revelation, and that revelation to believe God in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ is of God, and no one makes God reveal His Presence to anyone. Therefore it is God’s Judgement to reveal that we, or an individual may know and believe.

Also in the case of discernment, and why its not judging. If one is familiar, or knows, then one can recognize. If you know cars then you can recognize one car from the other. But in the case of atheists they can’t recognize because they don’t know, and are not familiar with the things of God nor God Himself. So they will never know God by their own judgement of what is good and evil.

Also trusting that God is the one who knows what is good, isn’t man’s judgement it is God’s Judgement that is trusted.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
KingJ said:
When you discern with intent to pass judgement, you may as well call it judging.

Stating God is good or evil, is a judgement call.
There is a very important distinction between discern and judge. This is why people so often get the idea of Matthew 7 wrong, in my opinion.

Judge=discern and then have the authority (or try to take authority) to hand out punishment. Just like a Judge.

Discern=discern without trying to take authority.

In Matthew 7, we are told not to judge (hand out punishment) because what measure we mete, will be measured to us. We can not hand out perfect justice. Yet later in the same passage we are told to be fruit inspectors (discern).

We have no authority to judge God. Discern is a much better word for what you are describing. If you stick with the word judge, I will have to side with DP on this one.

SL

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Judge = form an opinion or conclusion about.
Discern = recognize or find out.
Condemn = express complete disapproval of; censure.

You two are confusing judging with condemning.

We have authority to judge God. It is called a brain. God forbid we use it. All i propose is that we judge God truthfully. How in the universe do you convert to Christianity without judging God.....?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:

We have authority to judge God. It is called a brain. God forbid we use it. All i propose is that we judge God truthfully. How in the universe do you convert to Christianity without judging God.....?

You haven’t proved nor answered to and contesting to your position. I was correct about your real position. Sorry bud, I do know that what you say is agreed to in the view of an atheist, your view, but it is erroneous in the Christian view. Though your opinion is granted you to have, it doesn’t mean it’s of any value, especially when it comes to your opinion of the Creator and Judge (note the word Judge there) it’s His opinion of you that is of any consequence. Why would the Creator and Judge care of any sort, of your opinion of Him?

If one has a pill of dog poo in his possession, does that mean it’s important because he has it? Have a nice day.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
KingJ said:

I have to disagree. Judging has overtones of having or taking authority everywhere it is mentioned in the Bible. We do not have any authority over God. We do have to discern whether or not God is a liar when confronted with His truths and that is how we convert. I think we really agree, it is just how we are using the words. I think judging always is mentioned in context with an authority...even over angels. (1 Cor 6:3) So it is a matter of semantics.

SL

DPMartin said:
If one has a pill of dog poo in his possession, does that mean it’s important because he has it? Have a nice day.
This made me laugh out loud. :lol:

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
DPMartin said:
1. You haven’t proved nor answered to and contesting to your position. I was correct about your real position. 2. Sorry bud, I do know that what you say is agreed to in the view of an atheist, your view, but it is erroneous in the Christian view. 3. Though your opinion is granted you to have, it doesn’t mean it’s of any value, especially when it comes to your opinion of the Creator and Judge (note the word Judge there) it’s His opinion of you that is of any consequence. Why would the Creator and Judge care of any sort, of your opinion of Him?

4. If one has a pill of dog poo in his possession, does that mean it’s important because he has it? Have a nice day.
1. I don't disagree with all you saying, but reading your posts and making sense of all you are saying is difficult. You confuse a simple matter.
2. As Christians we are more able to judge God.
3. Of course we cannot sentence our Creator. But when our Creator is sending most of us to hell for eternal punishment....we suddenly do have a right to judge Him and mutually agree or disagree on serving Him. He gave us this ability when He gaves us brains. That is the bottom line. Brains = judge all things.

The word judge is the correct word too. When you say God is impartial. Do you make a statement blindly? Or do you make an informed / discerned statement of fact / judgement call?

4. Little brains :) or my opinion :angry:? If the first, we have the ability to throw the dog poo in God's face and embrace our demise.
Secondhand Lion said:
I have to disagree. 1. Judging has overtones of having or taking authority everywhere it is mentioned in the Bible. We do not have any authority over God. 2. We do have to discern whether or not God is a liar when confronted with His truths and that is how we convert. I think we really agree, it is just how we are using the words. 3. I think judging always is mentioned in context with an authority...even over angels. (1 Cor 6:3) So it is a matter of semantics.

SL

This made me laugh out loud. :lol:
1. That is because MANY confuse judging with 'judging and condemning'. The dictionary meanings alone solve this problem.
2. Discernment leads to a judgement call ...'judging'. Think about it more. If you say I am rude. You have discerned intention from my posts and now concluded. Discernment does not lead to a statement of fact, it is an open case. A judgement call is a closed case. When we say God is impartial it is a closed case. Unless our word carries little value.
3. We have been given full authority over our will. Being able to judge is part and parcel with the gift of free will and a higher IQ.

God wants us to judge Him. Decide / 'close the case'...this day on whom you shall serve Josh 24:15.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
DPMartin said:
You haven’t proved nor answered to and contesting to your position. I was correct about your real position. Sorry bud, I do know that what you say is agreed to in the view of an atheist, your view, but it is erroneous in the Christian view. Though your opinion is granted you to have, it doesn’t mean it’s of any value, especially when it comes to your opinion of the Creator and Judge (note the word Judge there) it’s His opinion of you that is of any consequence. Why would the Creator and Judge care of any sort, of your opinion of Him?

If you can't judge God (form an opinion or conclusion about), why do you serve Him?