How will we know the real Jesus from a false prophet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @Nancy, but I am speaking of "many false Messiah's"...
"At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you ahead of time.
So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it". Matthew 24:23-26

Have you heard of anyone claiming the Messiah is here?
@Angelina, @lforrest....do either of you have a clue as to why scripture mentions false messiahs as plural?

Reactions: Nancy

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I agree, and it says if possible even the highest elect will be deceived. This is why pre-trib rapture is so dangerous...the false messiah comes first....for those who are unskilled in His Word and does not have spiritual discernment they will be deceived in thinking the rapture is here. The Bible says specifically how Christ will return.
When Jesus said "if it possible" He implies that it is nowhere near certain that the elect will be deceived. He was showing how convincing the deception will be and so very hard to detect.

I see that you're having a bit of a snipe at the pre-trib folks! No comment here! -)

This is where I keep away from hearing voices, visions and appearances purporting to be Jesus. According to Scripture, the physical Jesus is at the right hand of the Father, and will not be seen until He comes again in person. Until then we have the indwelling Holy Spirit whose role is to enlighten us to what God is saying to us in the Scriptures, and to equip us to make disciples for Christ.

I believe that as long as we hold fast to the Jesus of the Bible, and not stray to extra-Biblical images of Jesus either in our minds, or derived from visions, voices, art works, the devil appearing as an angel of light pointing us to a fake Jesus, we will know the real Jesus from a phoney.

Reactions: theophilus

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your scaring me cos to be honest I am unskilled in the Word as I only came back to it a year ago.
Another piece of scripture that I keep thinking about is when Jesus tells us to always be ready cos it will come when u least expected
He tells the parable about the servant who had a party when his boss went away only to get busted, so keep watch

Which part of the bible are u referring to? Please direct me to the path
Read the Gospels to get a clear idea of who the Jesus of the Bible is. Keep clear of those who try to point you to some type of mental image or extra-Biblical "jesus".

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Pre-trib is the meeting in the clouds before the tribulation.

@Heart2Soul I don't think anyone fully knows the book of Revelation in knowing how everything will play out and in what order, but God. All we know is all these events will take place sometime.

There are several different views on the rapture, second coming and millennium. I remember dad saying, they learn all these different views in Bible school.

There is a preview in my Bible before the book of Revelation begins, it gives a summary of

- Premillenial Pretribulational View
- Premillenial Posttribulational View
- Premillenial Midtribulational View
- Premillenial Pretribulational Partial Rapture View
- Premillenial Prewrath Rapture View
- Evangelical Postmillenial View
- St Augustine's Amillennial View
- A Second Amillinial View

You get it there are many different end of end time views. Right now a lot of Protestant Christians are starting to lean towards or leaning towards the Post Tribulational View, well it sure seems that they are leaning that way.

My view at the moment may be somewhat a odd one on the end times compared to others, the 7 Churches are early in the book of Revelation, the letters to the 7 Churches, start of from Chapter 2, from reading about them I believe some get raptured before the tribulation (these are the overcomers) and then some don't. I believe those that don't overcome are given a second chance by God's grace during the tribulation, only this time it will be much harder to follow God during the Revelation Tribulation.

1 of the major verses that supports the rapture is

Revelations 3:10 "Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth"

There are also quite a number of other verses, but I will leave them for another day, as it's getting late here.

Some may use Matthew 24 as their defense of post tribulation, but is all of Matt. 24 in chronological-order?

Verse 40 and 41 do not sound like they are in a tribulation setting, but rather sound like a born again Christian and a non-Christian working side by side together whether it be in a field or grinding at the mill, one is taken up, and the other is left on earth.
I will be 73 this year. It won't be too long before I will "shuffle off this mortal coil", so whether pre- or post trib, it won't make much difference to me!

Reactions: Nancy and Josho

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I believe that this passage pertains to the time of the Antichrist, who will claim to be Christ and God. The Church will be absent from earth, but the Jews will be faced with determining whether the Antichrist is the Christ.
That rings true, seeing that Jesus was speaking to the Jews at the time.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said "if it possible" He implies that it is nowhere near certain that the elect will be deceived. He was showing how convincing the deception will be and so very hard to detect.

I see that you're having a bit of a snipe at the pre-trib folks! No comment here! -)

This is where I keep away from hearing voices, visions and appearances purporting to be Jesus. According to Scripture, the physical Jesus is at the right hand of the Father, and will not be seen until He comes again in person. Until then we have the indwelling Holy Spirit whose role is to enlighten us to what God is saying to us in the Scriptures, and to equip us to make disciples for Christ.

I believe that as long as we hold fast to the Jesus of the Bible, and not stray to extra-Biblical images of Jesus either in our minds, or derived from visions, voices, art works, the devil appearing as an angel of light pointing us to a fake Jesus, we will know the real Jesus from a phoney.
Not really picking on them....I was taught that all my life....as I began to study the Word for myself I couldn't deny the scriptures pointing otherwise....even have a chronological bible...

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Not really picking on them....I was taught that all my life....as I began to study the Word for myself I couldn't deny the scriptures pointing otherwise....even have a chronological bible...
What we have to see is that Jesus gave all His teaching to the Jews, including His disciples, who were also Jews. When we look at the context, we see that what He taught about the end times was more applicable to the Jews rather than Gentile Christians. In Thessalonians, Paul gives a different impression which more strongly suggests a pre-trib rapture, although he doesn't actually use the word to describe it. But he does say that we will be caught up to meet the Lord in the clouds.

John MacArthur gives some very interesting teaching concerning it. He says that once we meet the Lord in the air, during the seven years of tribulation on the earth, believers will be at the marriage supper of the Lamb, go through the judgment seat of Christ, and then after the seven years, return with Him when He comes again in Person.

I don't think that there will be a physical battle between and the AntiChrist and his forces. The Scripture says that they will be defeated by a word from Jesus' mouth. Seeing that the preincarnate Son of God, created the whole universe by just speaking it into being, it is very simple for him to defeat a whole army with just a word. What we don't want to do is to diminish His wonder, glory and power by making Him smaller than He actually is.

Reactions: theophilus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you ahead of time.
So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it". Matthew 24:23-26

The confusing thing in the passage above is that Jesus is telling us not to believe when someone comes with signs and wonders claiming to be the Son of God.
How then will we know? How can we be sure?

Jesus performed many miracles but there were still people who didn't believe him
In a world filled with so much deception it's hard to believe anything

The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie. 2 Thessalonians 2:9

The evil one is quite capable of performing signs and wonders. He masquerades as an angel of light. 2 Corinthians 11:13

It will be very hard to know for sure if the person claiming to be the Son of God really is.

Many people believe that the age of apostleship ended after St Paul and reject any prophet and/or revelations which occur after it.
This view makes it impossible to accept Christ when he returns
amen to that :) which is i guess why that cannot be Quoted,
Christ comes, appears, is revealed, but does not "return," near as i can tell anyway; for that you get
Return to Me and I will return to you
x2

anyway, good fruit comes from good trees, right, and by extraction at least, those who do the will of Yah, they are the sons of Yah, although i would stir in a little if i testify of myself, my testimony is invalid there maybe

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your scaring me cos to be honest I am unskilled in the Word as I only came back to it a year ago.
Another piece of scripture that I keep thinking about is when Jesus tells us to always be ready cos it will come when u least expected
He tells the parable about the servant who had a party when his boss went away only to get busted, so keep watch

Which part of the bible are u referring to? Please direct me to the path
The critical factor is to remain connected to the vine (think about the analogy).
Without me you can do nothing Jesus reminded us.

Connection by its very nature means being totally reliant in every aspect of one’s reality including discernment, including time ie, 24 hrs.

It is our privilege to be at the throne of grace at every breath.
It is also Satan’s studied intent to keep us distracted....even with the ‘religious’

Be aware, be aware, be aware are our watch words.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John MacArthur gives some very interesting teaching concerning it. He says that once we meet the Lord in the air, during the seven years of tribulation on the earth, believers will be at the marriage supper of the Lamb, go through the judgment seat of Christ, and then after the seven years, return with Him when He comes again in Person.

John MacArthur has had a some critics come against him for lining up with Hillsong and other ministries that support gay marriage and such...
Then He is asked if a person receives the mark of the beast can they still be saved....he says yes, I think they can.

John MacArthur has stated that one can take the mark of the beast, worshiping Satan and his image, and still be saved. The Bible says the exact opposite. He is exposed here as condemning himself unwittingly. His friend and partner Phil Johnson of Grace to You along with Chris Rosebrough of Pirate Christian Radio and Fighting for the Faith also join in condemning MacArthur. This is the fruit of personal favoritism; blind irrationality. John MacArthur propagates a damnable false teaching that is simply a lie. His sycophants Phil Johnson, Todd Friel, Justin Peters, etc. have all defended him saying that there is only one unpardonable sin; only one blasphemy of the holy spirit. After this, they all have some explaining to do. See Jacob Prasch confront this teaching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHvk... See: http://beginningofsorrows.org/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ServusChrist...

Wow, I cannot even fathom preaching this.....the mark of the beast is a big no-no....do not take it...there is no turning back.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His friend and partner Phil Johnson of Grace to You along with Chris Rosebrough of Pirate Christian Radio and Fighting for the Faith also join in condemning MacArthur.
His sycophants Phil Johnson, Todd Friel, Justin Peters, etc. have all defended him saying that there is only one unpardonable sin; only one blasphemy of the holy spirit.
I'm confused how about how these two quotes can both be true at the same time...
full

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm confused how about how these two quotes can both be true at the same time...
full
I guess they were condemning another minister for saying the same thing on a radio talk show,...then defending their pastor McArthur who said the same thing except in his case it wasn't blaspheme.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess they were condemning another minister for saying the same thing on a radio talk show,...then defending their pastor McArthur who said the same thing except in his case it wasn't blaspheme.
Well I just looked it up.......this little snippet made my eyes pop open!

The Fall of the House of Moon

"Before long, it became clear that the House of Moon was crumbling and In Jin had become caught up in its downfall. But her disappearance was only one part of a much more complicated saga—one that involved illegitimate children, secret sex rituals, foreign spy agencies, and the family of Vice President Joseph Biden."