I Didn't Choose to Be an Agnostic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." It is not possible that you are one of the people that God doesn't want because he offers himself freely to all.

Are you tired of this world? Does the daily strain and toil of life wear on you? I trust you see that it is a fact that there really is no hope in this world alone. We will all die one day and if there is nothing then eventually no one will remember any of us after several generations. What is the point then if it comes to life just being unbearable each day? What is the point of going on?

Jesus is the only answer. He is the only one who can provide us a life without sin--eventually a life where there is no sin at all but even now in this life some of that sinfulness is taken away. What converted me was reading the Westminster Confessions of Faith. A lot of people on here do not like it. If not that, then I hope you would try to take a look at the part of the Larger Catechism where it talks about the 10 commandments. It is a beautiful depiction of the love we should have for God and for each other. If everyone treated everyone else according to all that is detailed in those questions concerning the Ten Commandments, much of the curse of this world would be gone. We would only have to deal with the curse of natural disasters and even that would be much alleviated since everyone would be caring for his or her neighbor and putting their interests before their own.

A few years ago, I lost the love of my life, my husband, unexpectedly and tragically. If I did not have the faith which the Lord has given me, I would definitely not be here. I would have killed myself. Things like that I just don't know how people go through if they do not believe in the Biblical God and his promise of a better world than this one. This world is just way too difficult for me to get through without Jesus carrying me through it.

Another book I just loved so much since it made me consider the character of our Heavenly Father in a way that I did not before is "A Layman Looks at the Lord's Prayer". I read this a few months ago and it really lifted my spirits up to God; I felt my depression lessen quite a bit.

There's nothing I can say which will make you believe. For me it was reading the Westminster Confessions and it just hit me how much sense the Bible made. I don't think that is very common. After that I went back through the Bible and read it again and it actually was in the book of Matthew where I met my Lord and Saviour Jesus and that is when I was saved. I was just struck by his love and sacrifice and as I study the Bible, especially the Gospels and especially the Gospel of John (Jesus is portrayed so wonderfully in that book), my worship of God grows more and more and I realize just how incredible and beautiful and magnificent and glorious and compassionate and perfect and everything I could ever want is what Jesus is. I hope you will find him. He is the best thing that will ever happen to you because you will be a resident of his eternal kingdom where there will be no more sorrow and pain and sadness. This life will still be tough (and very possibly get tougher after believing upon the Lord; it sure was that way for me), but you will have meaning and purpose in your life in service to the Living God.

Good word sister, can't wait to meet you and Jen!!! And of course, I am so sorry for such a tragic unexpected loss of your husband.

Reactions: dhh712

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being an agnostic, for me, is unpleasant. It's empty and unrewarding. I'm not happy with it. If I liked it I wouldn't be here asking you questions.
I'm here looking for the way out of it. I'm going to read everyone's replies, one each day, and think about them, and see if you've given me the bridge across the gap I don't seem to be able to get across by myself. (Of course I'll continue reading the Bible and praying.) I've tried the accepting Jesus prayer and lots of other things; no results, but maybe there's something here.
If there is a God then that's the most important thing in the world. I don't want to miss Him, and I don't want to disappoint Him.

Sorry for yet another "me" thread but I wanted to be sure everyone who looks down here saw this. You have been kind to me and I want you to understand.
If you still can't understand, maybe it's unavoidable; our minds work differently and our challenges are different. Maybe I'm even one of those people that God doesn't want so that it's impossible for me to believe.

Thank you for your replies on the other threads.

One more thing, once you have learned God's character, you will also need to know Satan's and I refer you to a C.S. Lewis book titled "Screwtape Letters". You will easily see how Satan works to keep us from all things God. It is awesome and chock full of the things we all go through...now I know why :)

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good word sister, can't wait to meet you and Jen!!! And of course, I am so sorry for such a tragic unexpected loss of your husband.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to spending some time with you guys as well!

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One more thing, once you have learned God's character, you will also need to know Satan's and I refer you to a C.S. Lewis book titled "Screwtape Letters". You will easily see how Satan works to keep us from all things God. It is awesome and chock full of the things we all go through...now I know why :)
Hi Nancy; I read some of that book and found its style rather unusual. I guess it's an acquired taste....

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus can be found in any slimline gospel like this one costing just a few pence or given away free by most Christian groups.
Paul warned about getting bogged down in too much heavyweight Bible study..;)
"I am worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:3)

It's not rocket science-
"And the common people heard Jesus gladly" (Mark 12:37)

rel-gosp-john.jpg

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was quite specific that it's satan who causes suffering- "Satan has bound this crippled woman for eighteen years" (Luke 13:10-16)
which brings us to the question 'Who or what is satan?'
We could speculate that he's a mass of bad vibes sloshing around the planet, and that it's atheists and nonchristians who generate the bad vibes that give him power..:)

A loving response to our agnostic would recognize that if God seems like a fairy tale to him, so does Satan. Indeed, a loving response would tenderly search for common ground as a basis for his spiritual quest. Your attitude perfectly illustrates why the unchurched find evangelicals so deficient in empathy and a willingness to address them where they actually are. You can't try to believe in Humpty Dumpty!
btw, in my younger years I witnessed door-to-door and in the streets with Youth with a Mission.

Reactions: Lambano

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..Your attitude perfectly illustrates why the unchurched find evangelicals so deficient in empathy and a willingness to address them where they actually are..

I don't care two hoots what atheists think about me, I give it to them straight and if they can't handle it they'll have to find another boy..:)
"They prefer teachers who only tell them what they want to hear" (2 Timothy 4:3)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy; I read some of that book and found its style rather unusual. I guess it's an acquired taste....
Yes, it is written from the mind of the demons and the "enemy" in this book is God. Just flip it. Like when Screwtape (lead demon) is training up a low rank demon and tells him: "Keep him/her distracted if they try to pray, the enemy loves when they do that" ... kind of thing.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being an agnostic, for me, is unpleasant. It's empty and unrewarding. I'm not happy with it. If I liked it I wouldn't be here asking you questions.
I'm here looking for the way out of it. I'm going to read everyone's replies, one each day, and think about them, and see if you've given me the bridge across the gap I don't seem to be able to get across by myself. (Of course I'll continue reading the Bible and praying.) I've tried the accepting Jesus prayer and lots of other things; no results, but maybe there's something here.
If there is a God then that's the most important thing in the world. I don't want to miss Him, and I don't want to disappoint Him.

Sorry for yet another "me" thread but I wanted to be sure everyone who looks down here saw this. You have been kind to me and I want you to understand.
If you still can't understand, maybe it's unavoidable; our minds work differently and our challenges are different. Maybe I'm even one of those people that God doesn't want so that it's impossible for me to believe.

Hello to LookingforGod,

It is good to search out for God.

The biggest thing a Christian has, is the power of prayer, and the ability to use the Bible to learn about God and who he is. Pray to God, and ask him to help you, ask him to help you in your faith, and may you find the acceptance of Gods love in your life.

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A loving response to our agnostic would recognize that if God seems like a fairy tale to him, so does Satan.

I imagine many people who balk at the idea of God are quite afraid of Satan for the reason that they don't so much not believe in God as find it difficult to accept his terms for living. A good way to test this is to ask someone how they feel about pledging their immortal soul to the enemy. If that sounds like a really bad idea to them then you are probably talking to someone who believes but has not accepted their belief.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My advice would be:
To first know a couple of basic things.
1) We are naturally born in sin;
Which is to say, we neither know about God, know Him, believe in Him, or are with Him.
2) Because we are naturally born in sin, we have no “direct” line of communication to Him.
3) We do have an “advocate”, that which is Christ the Lord Jesus.
So what you want, desire, need to ask, Do so in Jesus’ NAME.

Consider setting your logical carnal mind on the back burner, so to speak.
Think from your Heart. Which is to say, that deep true desire. IF it is your deep true desire to Believe, Ask the Lord, to show you the WAY, put something in your path that will spark your interest to yield your ear to them.

Reading Scripture IS a basic way, as well to gain “faith”.
Hearing historically was the way to gain knowledge of Scripture, but today, with literacy and availability of Bibles, Yes Read.
Faith is an “increment” gift from God “FOR” Hearing His Word.
Hear/Read more, Receive more faith.

Scripture is not like reading a Novel.
There are Bibles geared toward toddlers, young teens, young adults, adults. Yes they are age appropriate, but also maturity in Scripture levels. Do not be embarrassed to begin with Bibles geared toward Beginners.

Do not focus on “understanding”. In all things, knowledge is revealed bit by bit, and the “understanding” comes later...true as well for Scripture.

If you elect to begin in an adult Bible, heads-up, it can be difficult.
I would suggest; a basic order of:
1) Gospel of John NT
2) Genesis OT
3) Psalms OT
4) Gospel of Luke NT
5) Exodus

Welcome to the forum, And acknowledging your desire to search, Good for you!
God Bless you in your endeavor.

Glory to God,
Taken

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dropship: "I don't care two hoots what atheists think about me, I give it to them straight and if they can't handle it they'll have to find another boy."

In other words, you'd rather feel righteous in your evangelical talking points than engage in the hard work of serving as a loving empathetic listener.
I'd rather be a soul winner than pander to evangelical groupthink. Notice how this attitude has driven our agnostic poster away in search of a more tender and helpful audience for his questions.

Dropship: "They prefer teachers who only tell them what they want to hear" (2 Timothy 4:3)."

On the contrary, agnostics don't really "know what they want to hear." So they come to us to see if we can find common ground on which they can renew their quest for truth. They don't care about how much we know until they know how much we care.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dropship: "I don't care two hoots what atheists think about me, I give it to them straight and if they can't handle it they'll have to find another boy."
In other words, you'd rather feel righteous in your evangelical talking points than engage in the hard work of serving as a loving empathetic listener..

I'm too modest to post all the feedback I've got from people in forums over the years, but here's one that shows I must be doing something right..:)-
"I'm an atheist and probably always will be, but you're the only christian whose ever made me consider not being an atheist" -Anon
People like my tough straight-talking no-nonsense style because it rubs off on them-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 7:17)

Ken1122

Sep 3, 2022
Seattle
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States

The idea of being Agnostic has never made sense to me. Why do you consider yourself to be Agnostic rather than Atheist?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Looking,
I see there are a couple posters on here that gave you good, sound advice. Please don't get all caught up in the "elect" of the "reformed chuch's" as Satan uses that doctrine of election to make one think they are not of God, do NOT allow Satan to whisper this in your ear.
When coming to Christ, we need to realize that He is NOT a "feeling". Of course feelings can be elevated to excitement when we see how He works. You have a desire to desire Him so, pray for that desire to override other desires, and read the Word. Take notes and you can bring any questions here as we have good mature Christians who are eager and happy to help you. Of course, we have some on here who cause division and we are to avoid them.
I'm adding you to my list brother and, do NOT lose hope, it's all we have really, hope in Christ. Pray and watch Him work.
Press on brother!

Reactions: dhh712

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
. Maybe I'm even one of those people that God doesn't want so that it's impossible for me to believe.

Let me assure you that God does want you.
Believe it.

How do you know?
Because, its like this, LookingForGod.... if you were the only person on earth.......just you down here by yourself.....Jesus still would have gone to the Cross and died, just for you.
Just for you.
See, The Love of God, is just like that for all of us.
Including you.

Reactions: dhh712 and Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Looking...I read through your thread yesterday and have been meditating on it for some time. There are several things you said that I wanted to respond to. ..
So if you can be patient with me I believe God is going to speak to you.

I always like to add scripture to whatever I share...why?...because His Word is Powerful and will not return to Him void but accomplish what it is set out to accomplish.
Isaiah 55 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁹ For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
¹⁰ For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
¹¹ So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it....
So this is an example of God speaking directly to us THROUGH His messengers or prophets. (A prophet IS a messenger nothing more nothing less)...
God's Word is a Living Word...it breathes life into a lifeless soul, nourishes a hungry heart, comforts a broken and contrite spirit....when His Word begins to speak to you and takes root in your heart and mind you will begin to feel alive...spiritually.

So backing up....God gives each of us a "measure" of faith as a believer....so once you have come to believe in God and in Jesus Christ as your Saviour then you are given a measure of faith to build upon.
Romans 12 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
² And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
³ For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Now keep in mind that the measure of faith cannot grow until it is exercised...
Faith comes by hearing and hearing from the Word of God...and as you hear more of the Word your faith begins to grow because it will manifest what it is leading you to...the truth.
“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
— Romans 10:17 (KJV)
There is one other important thing to know....No Man comes to the Father except through Jesus. Meaning until we are born again the bridge to the Father is impossible to cross.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
— John 14:6 (KJV)

So I think I need to stop there for now....
But I want to share this last thing....In your life somewhere along the way you attended a church...perhaps with a friend or relative. You were still young and none of it made much sense to you. This is where a seed was planted...the Bible says some plant, others water, but it is God who gives the increase.
1 Corinthians 3 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁶ I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
⁷ So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
That seed is increasing in you to seek the truth...as you seek so shall you find.
Jeremiah 29 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹² Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
¹³ And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

So rejoice knowing that He is drawing you to Him through Jesus...
I had more to say but am getting carried away.

Reactions: dhh712 and Nancy

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Looking, I hope that you have divested yourself at least of the idea that God doesn't want you! All of us here who dwell with the Lord hope that we will hear from you, and that it will be as our brother in the Lord because you have freely come to him because he offers himself to all--"Come to me.... and I will give you rest." And "...Whoever comes to me I will never cast out."

(John 6:37 describes how it is both in some mysterious way the Sovereignty of God and a choice--calvinistic and armenien as I like to say--"All that the Father gives me will come to me and whoever comes to me I will never cast out". Someone a few lines above me said that God's election is an idea from Satan and it is in some sense if we look at those outside of that election as they who would have wanted to be in God's kingdom but that he just didn't pick them. That idea is directly from the mouth of Satan as it can easily be refuted by the verses that I've just given.

So take heart, brother--God definitely *does* want you for himself and he is calling to you all the time, offering himself--eternal life--to you. There is nothing better than to know the Lord Jesus and nothing that can bring us lasting fulfillment and joy. Everything else is temporal and is passing away. It may bring you happiness now, but you never know when it is going to leave you. Even a relationship, as I described in my first post, can be a great source of contentment; but, you never know when one's last day on earth will be. It can happen like that--one moment they are here and the next they just aren't).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Maybe I'm even one of those people that God doesn't want so that it's impossible for me to believe.

In this world, there are a lot of lies and a lot of liars.
Some of them who do not want you to find God's love, and Jesus as your Savior and friend and help, will tell you that God may not want you to be a part of His Heavenly Eternal Family.
Well, rest assured that Jesus died on the Cross for you sin and for your Salvation = to prove to you that God does want you to be a part of His eternal Heavenly family.

He does., and that is the Truth.
Jesus died on the Cross to prove it to you.