"I never knew you: depart from me, you that work inquity."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
It is the flesh that works iniquity, that makes its home in the world, and wars against the spirit.

So like:

Rom 8:7 because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:

So what is it that makes iniquity "iniquity"?

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Matthew 6
2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

>snip<
5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
>snip<
7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Just a thought...

Interesting thought. According to the first two, they have their reward. But is that really "iniquity", or is it that they already have their reward of men, rather than whatever reward they may have had otherwise of / by "God".

Reactions: KBCid

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
I debated on whether or not to respond

I understand. I honestly didn't expect a reply, so thank you for taking the time.

to shifting the focus once again from what Christ has done to, what man can do.

I am curious as how you understand "iniquity" in this?

What "iniquity" would merit a response such as "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Hasn't it already been debated to death?

Perhaps. I am curious as to how others read / perceive said "iniquity" here.

<snip>

Reactions: KBCid

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting thought. According to the first two, they have their reward. But is that really "iniquity", or is it that they already have their reward of men, rather than whatever reward they may have had otherwise of / by "God".

They sought the approval of man instead of God. Their reward was the praise of men.

I view it as iniquity because they are labeled hypocrites and heathens.

But that's just my opinion...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ye that work iniquity".
Children of disobedience.

Please son, I never asked you to do it, so why are you doing it, than you expect me to bless you for it???

Eph_2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What "iniquity" would merit a response such as "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Only "iniquity" that would merit a response as this: He already gave us the answer:

"You that work iniquity" because "I never knew you". Their sin is not covered. They never accepted His blood as their covering even though they take His name (in vain). Their works are their cover.

John 14:17 KJV
[17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Psalm 25:10-11 KJV
[10] All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies. [11] For thy name's sake, O Lord , pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA and Job

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Indeed. So would it be fair to say, that those to whom Jesus said away from me, were being / doing / living in sin? Which is why they were rejected.

What makes iniquity "iniquity" or "sin"?

<snip>

Jesus said, "I never knew you" to those that did not believe in Him and for those that believe in Him, there is no rejection.

The sin is unbelief and those who believe don't live under the power of sin, Romans 6:14 and those that believe have fulfilled the will of the Father, Matthew 7:21, John 6:29 and will not be rejected, 2 Timothy 2:13.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, "I never knew you" to those that did not believe in Him and for those that believe in Him, there is no rejection.
The verse taken in context with the previous verse denies your assertion that they did not believe in him;
Matt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

It is quite obvious that they believed in him since the people who are to be rejected were doing everything in his name and these people have the confidence to tell Christ to his face that they were doing what they did in his name.
Think about it, aren't you this very minute doing what you do in his name? and do you believe in him? would you not also say to Christ I was doing it in your name?
Many are called and few are chosen. Are we not called who have a desire to come to the Son? and if we who are called all declare that Jesus is the Christ then how is it that few will be chosen? Where is the line in the sand that God has drawn between the called and saved vs. the called and rejected.

Belief in the Son is not intended by the Spirit to be simply an acceptance of the Son as the Christ. If one believes in the Son and what he has done then one should walk as he walked. Christ did not sin and did not tell us to continue in our sins. We like Him are to have the dominion over sinful flesh just as he showed us could be done with the Fathers help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard_oti

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
yes, apples always fall far from trees now i guess

Do you believe in old wives' tales?

1 Timothy 1:4, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Do you believe in old wives' tales?

1 Timothy 1:4, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
strikes me as a subject change, i mean we can observe the sins of the fathers being manifest in sons, if the sons so choose. We can also observe the opposite reaction

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Many are called and few are chosen. Are we not called who have a desire to come to the Son? and if we who are called all declare that Jesus is the Christ then how is it that few will be chosen? Where is the line in the sand that God has drawn between the called and saved vs. the called and rejected.

Chosen in Hebrew is election in English. To say we are the chosen, the elect, is to show that we, the elect, the chosen, are not an accident but a predetermined act of God and before Adam sinned God had a plan to purchase us with His blood. The line in the sand is if you believe in His Son, you do or you don't.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
strikes me as a subject change, i mean we can observe the sins of the fathers being manifest in sons, if the sons so choose. We can also observe the opposite reaction

I don't see the subject change that you see.

Galatians 3:10, For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Galatians 3:13, Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole."

The old wives' tale is no more, Jesus drank all the sour wine of our sins and bore our iniquity.

John 19:28, Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.”

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
To say we are the chosen, the elect
...is also to assume a thing that may or may not be true however, also. There is an obvious counterfeit here that should be delineated, somehow.
The line in the sand is if you believe in His Son, you do or you don't.
Nehushtan appears to broaden that line considerably imo

Reactions: Richard_oti

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is the flesh that works iniquity, that makes its home in the world, and wars against the spirit.

Starvation of the old and looking and believing in what is said about the new, brings victory. = Fighting the good fight of faith and laying hold of eternal life...

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...is also to assume a thing that may or may not be true however, also. There is an obvious counterfeit here that should be delineated, somehow.

Nehushtan appears to broaden that line considerably imo

Please elaborate.