I SANCTIFY Myself, that they themselves also may be SANCTIFIED in truth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
English Standard Version, John 17:

19a for their sake I consecrate myself
This is a euphemism: Jesus consecrated/sanctified himself by going to the Cross. It alludes to the consecration in Exodus 13:

2 Consecrate to me every firstborn male. The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether human or animal.
After the Cross:

19b they also may be sanctified in truth.
Today, believers may be sanctified in the truth of the Cross, Hebrews 10:

10 And by that will, we have been sanctified through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Jesus’s sanctification was the act of the Cross. Through it, we are sanctified by his blood.

Reactions: marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is a euphemism: Jesus consecrated/sanctified himself by going to the Cross. It alludes to the consecration in Exodus 13:

After the Cross:

Jesus’s sanctification was the act of the Cross. Through it, we are sanctified by his blood.
Will you answer an honest question? Are you enrolled in some sort of biblical education currently?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

After the Cross:

The better understanding of John 17:19 (by definition of the original language) would be:

"And for their sake I dedicated myself to You Father that they themselves also may be dedicated to You in truth."​