I was asked to.....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I went to work today for a training - I am currently working in a ministry that witnesses to street kids through relationships - right up my alley!

Recently, the state I live in passed a law legalizing marriage between homosexuals.

On of the volunteers brought in a petition to overturn the law - since it was a ministry, he expected to get a lot of signatures.

Do you think it is appropriate to bring a petition to work? How about a ministry? Would you sign it?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Yes, I would sign it. For this very reason...God said homosexuality is wrong....so therefore I must believe it to be wrong, because I trust in and follow God.
I have nothing against homosexuals living together, it is their right, just as it is the right of a man and a woman living together without the benefit of marriage. But if they truly desire legal recognition of their relationship that gives them status as well as safety from the law, fine...set up a system of legal contracts that do the same thing. I draw the line at 'marriage', however, as marriage was given to us by God Himself...He officiated the first marriage, a covenant that is actually between man, woman and God. Why on earth do homosexuals want to take this very religious ceremony...a ceremony that opposes what they believe, and make it there own??
So yeah, if they want to legally bind themselves together, whatever...no skin off my nose, but marriage is Christian, and it should stay that way. Just my opinion.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I would sign it. For this very reason...God said homosexuality is wrong....so therefore I must believe it to be wrong, because I trust in and follow God.
I have nothing against homosexuals living together, it is their right, just as it is the right of a man and a woman living together without the benefit of marriage. But if they truly desire legal recognition of their relationship that gives them status as well as safety from the law, fine...set up a system of legal contracts that do the same thing. I draw the line at 'marriage', however, as marriage was given to us by God Himself...He officiated the first marriage, a covenant that is actually between man, woman and God. Why on earth do homosexuals want to take this very religious ceremony...a ceremony that opposes what they believe, and make it there own??
So yeah, if they want to legally bind themselves together, whatever...no skin off my nose, but marriage is Christian, and it should stay that way. Just my opinion.

Thank you Rach, I respect you very much. To everyone else, please include your opinions - thanks!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I went to work today for a training - I am currently working in a ministry that witnesses to street kids through relationships - right up my alley!

Recently, the state I live in passed a law legalizing marriage between homosexuals.

On of the volunteers brought in a petition to overturn the law - since it was a ministry, he expected to get a lot of signatures.

Do you think it is appropriate to bring a petition to work? How about a ministry? Would you sign it?
I would absolutely sign it without hesitation and would encourage other's to sign it as well

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia

I would definitely sign it. Christians spend too much time trying to blend in. We're suppose to be cities on hills, lights in darkness, not flounders on the ocean bed . . . :D

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should politics be allowed in a religious setting? Would you be offended if a person brought in a petition that promoted a law that was nonchristian?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Should politics be allowed in a religious setting? Would you be offended if a person brought in a petition that promoted a law that was nonchristian?

Great question Aspen2. Here's a couple more questions. Should religion be allowed in a political setting? Should a separation of religion and politics be attempted? And lastly, is there really much difference between the two, considering that they employ some of the same dynamics and motivations? B)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I would sign it.

Of course God has created all things.
How could Christians be anything other than against it?

Based on your post, it sounds like you are a committed fan.

If I switched the topic from Christianity to a specific football team - I think your post would still apply.

Is Christianity the same as being a sports fan or a patriot?

tarmack09

Nov 16, 2008
Well if you really read the bible you will find out that where they say you should not lay with other men.. right below that.. you can clearly see that they are talking about it in a way where they basically mean not to over do it! Basically they didn't really say it was a sin! Plus its not really one of the ten commandments is it?

Jul 6, 2011
Aspen2,
Based on your post, it sounds like you are a committed fan.
Not the intention or the sentiment, and indeed I am more interested in seeking to do what is right by God than worry about your judgement of my motives.

tarmac09,
Well if you really read the bible you will find out that where they say you should not lay with other men.. right below that.. you can clearly see that they are talking about it in a way where they basically mean not to over do it! Basically they didn't really say it was a sin!
No you wont. You will see that men with men instead of women is turning away from God, detestable to God and wicked supression of the truth. ... according to what the Bibe says.

Plus its not really one of the ten commandments is it?
Lying is though.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks for clarifying. I am seeking the same thing. It is difficult for me to view homosexual union as a sin, but also work with many people who are homosexual and attempting to recognize the rights of people who are not Christian.

But more importantly for this thread - is it appropriate to bring politics into a religious environment?

Jul 6, 2011
Aspen2,
thanks for clarifying. I am seeking the same thing.
Obviously not if you are merely commenting on my motives.
It is difficult for me to view homosexual union as a sin, but also work with many people who are homosexual and attempting to recognize the rights of people who are not Christian.
Whether it is difficult for you or not, it doesnt change what is right by God according to His word, which is that He detests homosexual practice as sin.
And as I have recently written more than once, the issue isn’t really about homosexuals at all, but faith in God.
But more importantly for this thread - is it appropriate to bring politics into a religious environment?
More important is recognising God’s good purposes for our lives, as or not as a political agenda. Political agendas that reflect God’s purposes are better than ones that dont.

tarmack09

Nov 16, 2008
Aspen2,
Not the intention or the sentiment, and indeed I am more interested in seeking to do what is right by God than worry about your judgement of my motives.

tarmac09,
No you wont. You will see that men with men instead of women is turning away from God, detestable to God and wicked supression of the truth. ... according to what the Bibe says.

Lying is though.

Whos lying.. it really inst one of the ten commandments..If it was really a sin.. it would have been one of them.

Jul 6, 2011
tarmac09,
Sorry I can read what the Bible says my friend, and its not what you are implying.
LGBT activism has no place on a Christian forum.

BTW, I didnt say it was one of the 10 commandments, I said "No you wont. You will see that men with men instead of women is turning away from God, detestable to God and wicked supression of the truth. ... according to what the Bibe says."

So kindly dont lie about what I wrote as well as lie about what the Bible says.

aspen2,
The democratic process gives us as citzens the right to vote according to our beliefs. The parallel in the NT would be that Christ was brought before the Roman authorities according to Roman and Jewish law, and the Roman authorities recognised Paul's Roman citizenship.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen2,
Obviously not if you are merely commenting on my motives.
Whether it is difficult for you or not, it doesnt change what is right by God according to His word, which is that He detests homosexual practice as sin.
And as I have recently written more than once, the issue isn’t really about homosexuals at all, but faith in God.
More important is recognising God’s good purposes for our lives, as or not as a political agenda. Political agendas that reflect God’s purposes are better than ones that dont.

My primary motive is to share the heart change of Christianity. Doctrine is secondary. I think the Pharisees were concerned about doing what is RIGHT rather than meeting people where they are at

\

aspen2,
The democratic process gives us as citzens the right to vote according to our beliefs. The parallel in the NT would be that Christ was brought before the Roman authorities according to Roman and Jewish law, and the Roman authorities recognised Paul's Roman citizenship.

You make a good point here. You do have the right to vote according to your convictions - absolutely. I have the right to vote according to my convictions and I also have the right to pick up my cross and follow Jesus, daily - no matter who condemns me.

Jul 6, 2011
tarmac09,
Well there are many interpretations of the holy bible.
Nope. There are many translations, several in English but one can no more interpret a 30mph speed sign to mean more than 30mph than the Biblical condmenations and exclusions to mean the opposite.

aspen2,
The heart of Christianity contains the truth, not mostly the truth with some lies thrown in. The heart of Christianity is summed up by doctrine.

I think the Pharisees were concerned about doing what is RIGHT rather than meeting people where they are at
But as we have seen the Pharisees were often concerned about doing what they thought was right, not what was actually right according to the truth, Jesus Christ.

tarmack09

Nov 16, 2008
tarmac09,
Nope. There are many translations, several in English but one can no more interpret a 30mph speed sign to mean more than 30mph than the Biblical condmenations and exclusions to mean the opposite.

yes I have heard that it is frowned upon..and that there is some kind of qoute in the bible about this.. however.. right under that famous quote it says you should also not do it as if eating too much pork. So it can be interpreted in a different ways.