I wonder if anyone has any idea what Jesus meant?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Jesus said:

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

What did He mean? What is His yoke that He wants us to take upon ourselves? What is the light burden He asks us to carry?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think this verse is about those who try to keep the law through their own physical efforts and works, in contrast with those who have repented and follow him by faith as believers because of his redeeming work on the cross.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Angelina said:
I think this verse is about those who try to keep the law through their own physical efforts and works, in contrast with those who have repented and follow him by faith as believers because of his redeeming work on the cross.
Could you expound on that a little, Angelina? I'm not sure I understand.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contextually Jesus was giving a tribute to John the Baptist 11:7-19. Next He was speaking against the cities that did not repent (change their thinking concerning the Christ) after witnessing the miracles He preformed there 11:20-24. Then He begins His prayer:

I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight. All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

Here Jesus is speaking against the religious authorities and the general population that did not recognize Him. By using the word "know" Jesus is speaking of intimate, personal knowledge. Jesus is speaking of His relationship with the Father. The people knew and practiced the Law, but their hearts were far from the Father and Him. Had they been close to God they would have recognized the Son that was sent with power (miracles) and would have received their Messiah. They worked hard to obey the Law. In this time it was thought if someone was able to keep the Law for 24 hours perfectly the Messiah would come, so many religious minded people maintained this practice regularly.

Then Jesus turns His attention to the crowd:
Come to Me, all who work to exhaustion, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is pleasant and My burden is light.

Jesus here is stating follow my teachings for they are pleasant. I am humble and gentle in heart. Take notice what directly follows:

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples became hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat. But when the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples do what is not lawful to do on a Sabbath.” But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he became hungry, he and his companions, how he entered the house of God, and they ate the consecrated bread, which was not lawful for him to eat nor for those with him, but for the priests alone? “Or have you not read in the Law, that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and are innocent? “But I say to you that something greater than the temple is here. “But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire compassion, and not a sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

​Jesus is teaching these that they have a heart problem. They were busy attempting to obey the Law so much so they abandoned the spirit behind obedience; love. They had no compassion. Their hearts were far from God for lack of love while filled with self determination.

So then to turn to your question. Jesus' yoke is love. Jesus' burden is compassion. And the work of God is belief.

Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
justaname said:
Contextually Jesus was giving a tribute to John the Baptist 11:7-19. Next He was speaking against the cities that did not repent (change their thinking concerning the Christ) after witnessing the miracles He preformed there 11:20-24. Then He begins His prayer:

I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight. All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

Here Jesus is speaking against the religious authorities and the general population that did not recognize Him. By using the word "know" Jesus is speaking of intimate, personal knowledge. Jesus is speaking of His relationship with the Father. The people knew and practiced the Law, but their hearts were far from the Father and Him. Had they been close to God they would have recognized the Son that was sent with power (miracles) and would have received their Messiah. They worked hard to obey the Law. In this time it was thought if someone was able to keep the Law for 24 hours perfectly the Messiah would come, so many religious minded people maintained this practice regularly.

Then Jesus turns His attention to the crowd:
Come to Me, all who work to exhaustion, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is pleasant and My burden is light.

Jesus here is stating follow my teachings for they are pleasant. I am humble and gentle in heart. Take notice what directly follows:

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples became hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat. But when the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples do what is not lawful to do on a Sabbath.” But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he became hungry, he and his companions, how he entered the house of God, and they ate the consecrated bread, which was not lawful for him to eat nor for those with him, but for the priests alone? “Or have you not read in the Law, that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and are innocent? “But I say to you that something greater than the temple is here. “But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire compassion, and not a sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

​Jesus is teaching these that they have a heart problem. They were busy attempting to obey the Law so much so they abandoned the spirit behind obedience; love. They had no compassion. Their hearts were far from God for lack of love while filled with self determination.

So then to turn to your question. Jesus' yoke is love. Jesus' burden is compassion. And the work of God is belief.

Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
You and I are not too far apart in our thinking on this, Justaname. Imagine that! Justaname and The Barrd actually agreeing on something! And they say that there are no more miracles...

What I believe is that the yoke Jesus is speaking of is His love for us...that love that sent Him to the cross for us. It is His love that saves us, and draws us to Him. We love Him because He first loved us.

His burden...that would be His command that we love others as He loves us. He tells us that the world recognizes His disciples by that special love. I don't know about anyone else, but, for me, it would be absolutely impossible for me to even come close to loving others as Christ loves us, without His Spirit within me.

So...is there a miracle here?
Or are you about to shoot me down.

Again. :p

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
You and I are not too far apart in our thinking on this, Justaname. Imagine that! Justaname and The Barrd actually agreeing on something! And they say that there are no more miracles...

What I believe is that the yoke Jesus is speaking of is His love for us...that love that sent Him to the cross for us. It is His love that saves us, and draws us to Him. We love Him because He first loved us.

His burden...that would be His command that we love others as He loves us. He tells us that the world recognizes His disciples by that special love. I don't know about anyone else, but, for me, it would be absolutely impossible for me to even come close to loving others as Christ loves us, without His Spirit within me.

So...is there a miracle here?
Or are you about to shoot me down.

Again. :p
:p

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Pharisees and teachers of the law put heavy yokes upon the people in a works type "modus operandi" but they did not place such burdens upon themselves. Matt 23:4. The bible says that no-one is declared righteous in God's sight by observing of the law. Romans 3:20.

The yoke in Jewish living, refers to their submission to God which they observed while under the law. The burdens they carried are part of the requirements of observing them. That is why Jesus came....so that through his righteous act, we may become the righteousness of God outside our own righteousness. Romans 3:21-22.

The yoke Jesus speaks of, is in the outcome of his expression of love toward God and toward mankind through his powerful redeeming work on the cross. [salvation] His burden is in faith that just as he rose again from the dead, so also shall we who believe in him by faith.[eternal life] JMHO! :huh:

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
His yoke is whatever he wants it to be. He also said take up your cross daily and follow me. The message is clear, it is about doing what Jesus wants us to do and not really worrying beforehand what it is.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually it has to so with Bullock teams. and how the farmer uses the yoke to train and to work. Form what I remeber in a bullock tem the lead bull is the smartest and strongest, not necessarily teh nicest(unike Jesus). when a farmer needs to train a new bullok, it is yoked to teh head bull. If he mucks up the lead bull tends to pull him and lead him as necessary. And it is with us, when we are yoked to Him, He who know the well trodden path, He guides us and leads us along our journey. we either do it with Him and have a quiet easy journey, or we can fight the whole way. Most young bulloks want to throw off the yoke because it is something new and they want there freedom, just like christians and so for them teh journey is tiring and hard untill they get comfortable with teh yoke and trust there master

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
What binds us to Jesus? Is it not the love He has for us? The love that lead Him to the cross to suffer for our sakes?
I believe it is. This is our yoke that binds us to our Master.

His commandment is that we are to love one another, even as He loves us. We are to take up our cross and follow Him. This is our burden that we bear for Him.

That is what I believe.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
What binds us to Jesus? Is it not the love He has for us? The love that lead Him to the cross to suffer for our sakes?
I believe it is. This is our yoke that binds us to our Master.
His commandment is that we are to love one another, even as He loves us. We are to take up our cross and follow Him. This is our burden that we bear for Him.
That is what I believe.
Preach it sister!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Angelina said:
absolutely WRONG

no, we are not saved by our good works.. meaning it is not the works themselves that save us. And yet we are not and cannot be saved w/ o them... read James 2:14 and many other psgs.. I have read the whole Bible, Old and New T

Read Revelation

What this psg means, the one about Take my yoke upon you... it is easy... etc.. is that while following Jesus is difficult, it is far more difficult to live in the world, where the flesh and devil rule.. b/c sin is the most difficult thing to deal with (consequences thereof, etc).

Giving Jesus our sins and letting Him wash them away is the light burden... and again following Him is difficult but a "light" burden compared to... the alternative

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Actually it has to so with Bullock teams. and how the farmer uses the yoke to train and to work. Form what I remeber in a bullock tem the lead bull is the smartest and strongest, not necessarily teh nicest(unike Jesus). when a farmer needs to train a new bullok, it is yoked to teh head bull. If he mucks up the lead bull tends to pull him and lead him as necessary. And it is with us, when we are yoked to Him, He who know the well trodden path, He guides us and leads us along our journey.
makes sense, except for the part about Jesus knowing the "well trodden path". Jesus didn't take the well trodden path. Your analogy makes even more sense if the lead bull is plowing land that has never been plowed before.