If Baptism could save then there is no need for the shed Blood of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because we all have choice of what we choose to think about and what we choose to do God says===God is saying ,"choose to think on these things" Philipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Believe and Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior then obey and be baptized!!

As Jesus says "He who believes and is baptized will be saved". When you have done both then you will be saved.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes!!! If you are saved you will want to obey and be baptized.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your explanation for the meaning of the baptism is not the same as the Biblical meaning.

The first mention of baptism in holy scripture has John the Baptist baptizing people in the Jordan river (in water!).

So yes, it is the biblical meaning.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the title of this thread be founded in reality then there is no need for the shed blood of Jesus.

Because baptism does indeed have the power to save (Ezekiel 36:25-27, Romans 6:1-4, Galatians 3:27, Colossians 2:11-15, 1 Peter 3:20-21; and there may be even more).

I will say that I believe that the blood of Jesus is the only provision for remission of sins (forgiveness).

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any "THINKING" person knows that when a unbeliever gets baptized to please others that baptism cannot save him He is just a baptized unbeliever on the road to hell even if he is baptized every day of his life!!!!!!

Last edited:

James Roberts

Jan 3, 2018
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized as an infant in the Roman Catholic Church, and as an adult, full immersion after I was saved in obedience to Jesus. Was it necessary, probably not. But I wanted my baptism to be a turning point, where my old self drowned, and my new self was alive in Jesus.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized as an infant in the Roman Catholic Church, and as an adult, full immersion after I was saved in obedience to Jesus. Was it necessary, probably not. But I wanted my baptism to be a turning point, where my old self drowned, and my new self was alive in Jesus.
After you died to self...in going under the water you were buried and in coming up out of it you were risen with Christ (Colossians 2:12).

Reactions: James Roberts

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any "THINKING" person knows that when a unbeliever gets baptized to please others that baptism cannot save him He is just a baptized unbeliever on the road to hell even if he is baptized every day of his life!!!!!!

Col 2:12, Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Reactions: James Roberts

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does Jesus tells us that water baptism is being born of water? I don't see that anywhere.
it doesn't and a person must read that into the text because they believe what they have been taught that water baptism is how one receives the Spirit.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not necessarily. Only those that are "in Christ" are "risen with Christ."

As many as are baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Galatians 3:27).

Therefore they are in Christ.

And, since the first mention of baptism in scripture is in water (the river Jordan) that sets a precedent for every subsequent mention of baptism in scripture (that it is also in water).

it doesn't and a person must read that into the text because they believe what they have been taught that water baptism is how one receives the Spirit.

"water baptism doth also now save you..." (1 Peter 3:20-21).

And, one does absolutely receive the promise of the Spirit through repentance + water baptism in Jesus' Name (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39).

They can also receive the Spirit merely by asking (Luke 11:9-13).

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Straw Man!
Nobody is claiming that someone gets saved without belief.
They need belief + baptism
That's what Jesus says "He who believes and is baptized will be saved"
You need to start believing Jesus GISMYS

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As many as are baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Galatians 3:27).
Therefore they are in Christ.
And, since the first mention of baptism in scripture is in water (the river Jordan) that sets a precedent for every subsequent mention of baptism in scripture (that it is also in water).
Negative. Paul is referring to being baptized "into Christ" which is not the same thing as being baptized in water. The only way someone is baptized "into Christ" is if he or she accepts Jesus as Lord and becomes a disciple of Christ.

"water baptism doth also now save you..." (1 Peter 3:20-21).
And, one does absolutely receive the promise of the Spirit through repentance + water baptism in Jesus' Name (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39).
They can also receive the Spirit merely by asking (Luke 11:9-13).
Again, Peter tells you that he doesn't mean water baptism. He tells you that the true baptism is to have a clear conscience once having believed and accepted the gospel.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Negative. Paul is referring to being baptized "into Christ" which is not the same thing as being baptized in water. The only way someone is baptized "into Christ" is if he or she accepts Jesus as Lord and becomes a disciple of Christ.

Disagree.

The first mention of baptism in holy scripture is when John baptized in the Jordan river (in water!)...therefore, every subsequent mention of baptism is also referring to water baptism.

This is a principle of hermeneutics; that the first mention of any word defines the usage of that word thereafter in holy scripture.

Again, Peter tells you that he doesn't mean water baptism. He tells you that the true baptism is to have a clear conscience once having believed and accepted the gospel.

It is referring to water baptism per verse 20...even if the rule of first mention were not to be considered.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disagree.

The first mention of baptism in holy scripture is when John baptized in the Jordan river (in water!)...therefore, every subsequent mention of baptism is also referring to water baptism.
John said that he baptized with water; but John's "baptism" wasn't an immersion into water. John's baptism was an immersion into his teaching.

This is a principle of hermeneutics; that the first mention of any word defines the usage of that word thereafter in holy scripture.[/quote]I don't consider this a valid or helpful hermeneutic. It remains one of the poorest and most damaging.