If Baptism could save then there is no need for the shed Blood of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John said that he baptized with water; but John's "baptism" wasn't an immersion into water. John's baptism was an immersion into his teaching.

[~quote]This is a principle of hermeneutics; that the first mention of any word defines the usage of that word thereafter in holy scripture.[~/quote]I don't consider this a valid or helpful hermeneutic. It remains one of the poorest and most damaging.
Then we will have to agree to disagree.

I would suggest to you that you ought not to discourage people from getting baptized (in water), however; by telling them that it isn't necessary or that it doesn't have the power to save a man.

For I consider that a man can be saved through mere belief in the Lord (John 3:16)...but that by such a thing he "should not perish" (John 3:16)...while the one who believes and is baptized "shall be saved"(Mark 16:16)...while the ones who call on the name of the Lord also "shall be saved" (Romans 10:13).

Two of these scenarios give absolute assurance; while the other gives an assurance that is not so absolute.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Iow, if you won't be baptized, be certain that you at least call upon the name of the Lord.

If you merely believe and do not do one of these other two things, there is a possibility that you won't make it into the kingdom of heaven.

I'm not necessarily talking to you here, @CadyandZoe.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pray something like this:

Dear Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I receive you as my Lord and Saviour. I admit that I am a sinner in need of a Saviour and that You are the Savour that I need. I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins. Please fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I confess that You are the Son of God, that You are the Lord of all creation, and that You are now the Lord of my life. I will follow You all the days of my life. Please make me born again of Your Holy Spirit. In Your Name. Amen.

If you prayed that, then you have called upon the name of the Lord; and being baptized will be a good step as you are already saved.

If you didn't, then go and be baptized for that will save you; as it is included in the rite of baptism that when a person is baptized, they will call on the name of the Lord in the process (Acts of the Apostles 22:16).

For confession of Jesus Christ in baptism is the most sure way of confessing Him; and if you confess Him before men He will also confess you before His Father which is in heaven (Matthew 10:32).

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then we will have to agree to disagree.

I would suggest to you that you ought not to discourage people from getting baptized (in water), however; by telling them that it isn't necessary or that it doesn't have the power to save a man.
On the contrary, I encourage all people to get baptized in water for the right reasons.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary, I encourage all people to get baptized in water for the right reasons.
But, it isn't really necessary...

That is a motivation to put it off for another year or two...

And if indeed baptism is what saves, you are telling them that they do not have to do for salvation the thing that will in fact save them. (If they put it off for another year or two and then die in the meantime, your doctrine placed them smack dab in the middle of hell. At least encourage them to call on the name of the Lord so that can be absolutely saved even if they are not baptized.)

And believer's baptism does in fact have the power to save; and there are many verses that tell us this.