Ignatius of Antioch

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Hi to all! :)

I am not usually one to post texts from somewhere else, as forums are generally for conversation, and wouldn't expect anyone to read it. ;) But I read this, and simply wanted to share it. I have been reading Ignatius' letters and reading his story and was amazed by his faith, his love for the brethren, and his love for the Lord, and desire to carry his cross as our Lord did to the utmost point. Reading this has sparked in me a desire to be as our Lord and to follow him. May you be blessed by it also, if you wish to read it!

Ignatius of Antioch
Saint Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, was the disciple of Saint John the Evangelist. Believing that the Church on earth should resemble that of the heavenly Jerusalem of which Saint John wrote in his Apocalypse, he established singing in choirs in his church at Antioch, after a vision of the celestial choirs who sang in that manner. When the emperor Domitian persecuted the Church, Saint Ignatius obtained peace for his own flock by fasting and prayer, although for his own part he desired to suffer with Christ, and to prove himself a perfect disciple.
The Roman emperors often visited Antioch, one of the cities of first importance of the empire. In 107, the eighth year of the reign of the emperor Trajan, he came to Antioch and forced the Christians to choose between apostasy and death. Saint Ignatius, who had already governed that church for forty years, continued to fortify it against apostasy, and did not flee. Arrested and brought before the emperor, the latter addressed him: “Who are you, poor devil, to set our commands at naught?” “Call not poor devil,” Ignatius answered, “one who bears God within him.” And when the emperor asked him what he meant by that, Ignatius explained that he bore in his heart Christ, crucified for his sake. “Change your ideas, and I will make you a priest of the great Jupiter, and you will be called ‘father’ by the Senate.” “What could such honors matter to me, a priest of Christ, who offer Him every day a sacrifice of praise, and am ready to offer myself to Him also?” “To whom? To that Jesus who was crucified by Pontius Pilate?” “Yes, and with whom sin was crucified, and the devil, its author, vanquished.”
The questions and the courageous replies continued for a time that day and also on the following one. Saint Ignatius said, “I will not sacrifice; I fear neither torments nor death, because I desire to go quickly to God.” Thereupon the emperor condemned him to be torn to pieces by wild beasts in Rome. Saint Ignatius blessed God, who had so honored him, “binding him in the same chains as Paul, His apostle.” When his people wept, he told them to place their hope in the sovereign Pastor, who never abandons His flock. On passing through the city of Smyrna, he exhorted the faithful, who were grieved at his fate, to remain true to Christ until death, and he gave some of them who were going to Rome a letter for the Christians of the capital of the Christian world. This letter is still extant. He writes: “I fear your charity, I fear you have an affection too human for me. You might prevent me from dying, but by so doing, you would oppose my happiness. Suffer me to be immolated while the altar is ready; give thanks to God... If when I arrive among you I should have the weakness to seem to have other sentiments, do not believe me; believe only what I am writing to you now.” This letter of Saint Ignatius has encouraged all generations of Christians in their combats.
He journeyed to Rome, guarded by soldiers, and with no fear but of losing the martyr’s crown. Three of his disciples, who accompanied him and were eyewitnesses of the spectacle, wrote the acts of his martyrdom: His face shining with joy, he reassured them as the lions were released, saying: “I am the wheat of Christ, I will be ground by the teeth of the beasts and made into flour to be a good bread for my Lord Jesus Christ!” He was devoured by lions in the Roman amphitheater. The wild beasts left nothing of his body except a few bones, which were reverently treasured at Antioch until their removal in the year 637 to the Church of Saint Clement in Rome. After the martyr’s death, several Christians saw him in vision, in prayer to Christ, and interceding for them.

With love in our precious Lord... May he make us faithfull to the end, and make us to see him for who he is and to work out our salvation in fear and trembling to be conformed to his image! And may we give him glory by our life!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the cloud of witnesses :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of history of all sorts. I'm particularly keen on early American History, and not bad at ancient history, but wish I knew more about Early and middle European history. Just recently, I've decided to focus more on religious history. Not what the Bible says (although that still is an ongoing project), but when I say "religious history" I mean more about the prominent folks after the Bible's writers. Ignatius is on my list, but I'm starting with John Calvin first. I'm not talking about reading wikipedia articles either, but reading what they actually wrote. If you could tell me where you found Ignatius' letters, I'll keep the reference for future use.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I bought a book called 'The Apostolic Fathers'. It contains the writings of Ignatius, Clement, and Polycarp, 3 of the earliest bishops (before the RCC). Also, it contains the Didache (sketchy if you ask me) and the Shepherd of Hermas. :)

Blessings to you

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of history of all sorts. I'm particularly keen on early American History, and not bad at ancient history, but wish I knew more about Early and middle European history. Just recently, I've decided to focus more on religious history. Not what the Bible says (although that still is an ongoing project), but when I say "religious history" I mean more about the prominent folks after the Bible's writers. Ignatius is on my list, but I'm starting with John Calvin first. I'm not talking about reading wikipedia articles either, but reading what they actually wrote. If you could tell me where you found Ignatius' letters, I'll keep the reference for future use.

You can read all the church fathers at ccel.com - Calvin College website. I think they also have John Calvin's Institutes of Religion - his major work. They have quite a bit from Luther too. Finally, Eusebius was the first major Christian historian - beware of hyperbole and a Catholic slant. Also there are free classes on history through itunes.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can read all the church fathers at ccel.com - Calvin College website. I think they also have John Calvin's Institutes of Religion - his major work. They have quite a bit from Luther too. Finally, Eusebius was the first major Christian historian - beware of hyperbole and a Catholic slant. Also there are free classes on history through itunes.
Yes, I found that website and am getting the stuff there... It's actually called "Christian Classics Ethereal Library." I'd rather have a hard copy book so I can keep track of it, make notes, keep it for future reference, etc... I'll print it out. I'd be interested in biographies too, but wouldn't rely on them too much. I'd rather hear what THEY said they stood for than what someone else says they stood for.

I'll look into Eusubus too, but probably not right away. I'm mostly interested into looking at the reformers. I have a feeling that they had error, but their followers took what they said after they left and didn't build on it or as Paul said, didn't take heed when trying to build on it.

Thanks for the info guys....

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I'm mostly interested into looking at the reformers. I have a feeling that they had error, but their followers took what they said after they left and didn't build on it or as Paul said, didn't take heed when trying to build on it.

I think you touch on a very good point here, that holds alot, but that most wont want anything to do with :)

No guys, I'm not Catholic! :lol:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you touch on a very good point here, that holds alot, but that most wont want anything to do with :)

No guys, I'm not Catholic! :lol:
Just a theory at this point.... I'll let you know in about 3 years when I've completed my full study and then chastise you in 10 years for disagreeing with me because by then I might have a full understanding of the situation! :)

Seriously, I'm still learning stuff from the Bible. I'm still learning about my favorite subject, the American Civil War.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've studied church history and even taught it at the college level and I am only a beginner. History really captivates me.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Just a theory at this point.... I'll let you know in about 3 years when I've completed my full study and then chastise you in 10 years for disagreeing with me because by then I might have a full understanding of the situation! :)

Seriously, I'm still learning stuff from the Bible. I'm still learning about my favorite subject, the American Civil War.

:lol:

Let the Spirit teach you, his insight and discernment will allow you to understand the situation even as it's changing ;)

The Lord bless you brother! :)