I'm torn by Luke 17:33 and the need for self-preservation.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StephanT

Jul 5, 2023
Twickenham
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 17:33 - "Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it."

I think that most of us in this forum have a sense that the social climate, the wars, the inequality, and the impending singularity from AI is taking us in a 'certain direction' I won't expand too much on.

Hence, it seems rational to want to preserve's one life by say, embracing concepts of homesteading or a certain state of readiness in the face of potential societal collapse.

Yet, the Bible seems to tell us we should NOT isolate ourselves, we should NOT live a monastic lifestyle, and if 'something happens' - well, it happens.

This flies in the face of humans' self-preservation principles, demonstrated quite well by the countless and well-studied suicide-by-drowning attempts where people inevitably resurface as their reptile brain triggers a flight-or-fight response to promote their continued existence.

I'm not here to preach anything; let's just say I have witnessed certain things that point to certain conclusions that we could be in some form of end-time- the question is not 'is that so' -but 'should we attempt to preserve ourselves'?

What's YOUR view?

PS: I'm non-denominational, it might be helpful if you specify your denomination if any so we can better understand what the general viewpoint is on the matter.

God bless you all!

Reactions: Pisteuo

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 17:33 - "Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it."

I think that most of us in this forum have a sense that the social climate, the wars, the inequality, and the impending singularity from AI is taking us in a 'certain direction' I won't expand too much on.

Hence, it seems rational to want to preserve's one life by say, embracing concepts of homesteading or a certain state of readiness in the face of potential societal collapse.

Yet, the Bible seems to tell us we should NOT isolate ourselves, we should NOT live a monastic lifestyle, and if 'something happens' - well, it happens.

This flies in the face of humans' self-preservation principles, demonstrated quite well by the countless and well-studied suicide-by-drowning attempts where people inevitably resurface as their reptile brain triggers a flight-or-fight response to promote their continued existence.

I'm not here to preach anything; let's just say I have witnessed certain things that point to certain conclusions that we could be in some form of end-time- the question is not 'is that so' -but 'should we attempt to preserve ourselves'?

What's YOUR view?

PS: I'm non-denominational, it might be helpful if you specify your denomination if any so we can better understand what the general viewpoint is on the matter.

God bless you all!
I see the scripture presented as at the time of the second coming when the heavens shake, stars fall to the earth, the time when men seek the mountains and caves to hide themselves from the Lord's return

The scripture mentioned Lots wife who looked back to Sodom and Gomorrah, the pillar of salt

When the church witnesses the future signs in the heavens and upon the earth we are to look up, not look back to the earthly life and posessions held as Lots wife did

Luke 17:29-33KJV
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
32 Remember Lot's wife.
33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'should we attempt to preserve ourselves'?
Yes, of course. I believe that the purpose of our lives is to grow close to God. As such, we are tested and refined. Yes, God is a refiner. What is he refining? US!

Mark 9:49
For everyone will be salted with fire.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What's YOUR view?

God bless you all!

We should follow this man's example.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
'should we attempt to preserve ourselves'?
Absolutely!
Isaiah 26:20-21 tell us to take shelter during the terrible Day the Lord will send His fiery wrath to destroy His enemies.
As we know from Isaiah 30:26, the Lord will instigate an explosion on the suns surface. It will strike the earth at mid day ME time, Zephaniah 2:4. Within 24 hours, it will be gone into outer space and most of the survivors will recover to form a One World Govt. All as Prophesied in the Bible.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What's YOUR view?

God bless you all!
Context matters absolutely.
Your quote of Luke 17:33 'Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.' is put into context by Mark 8:35 'For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.'

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what Jesus is talking about in "saving your own life" is living for yourself, for your own goals, your own wants and needs. "Losing your life for My sake (and for the sake of the Gospel" is about letting go of your own wants and desires, your personal ambitions, your comfort, your possessions, maybe your family, and perhaps even your very life for the sake of Christ and His mission and His particular calling on your life.

And it don't come easy.

Does that make anybody besides me uncomfortable?

As for defending ourselves in the face of persecution (especially during the Great Tribulation to come) ... I guess it depends on the circumstances and our particular calling. One of the teachers I respect interpreted that to mean that if it's just random street crime, you can defend yourself. (He carries a .45 just for that purpose.) If you are being attacked because you are Christ's, because you are proclaiming His lordship and His coming kingdom and His salvation, you have to sit there and take it. The self-preservation instinct will tempt you to compromise that proclamation.

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Absolutely!
Isaiah 26:20-21 tell us to take shelter during the terrible Day the Lord will send His fiery wrath to destroy His enemies.
As we know from Isaiah 30:26, the Lord will instigate an explosion on the suns surface. It will strike the earth at mid day ME time, Zephaniah 2:4. Within 24 hours, it will be gone into outer space and most of the survivors will recover to form a One World Govt. All as Prophesied in the Bible.
Keraz,

Are you sure you have that Isaiah 30:26 interpretation, right? Looks like you have some weird literal implied notions going on????

You seem to be seeing this in the negative, whereas I'm sensing its in the positive.

Isaiah 30:26 The moon will shine like the sun, and the sunlight will be seven times brighter, like the light of seven full days, when the Lord binds up the bruises of his people and heals the wounds he inflicted.

This is teaching that the light of the Glory of God is symbolic of the restoration of Divine blessing and prosperity on its people. The number seven is also symbolic to indicate its intensity:

Compare Isaiah 24:23 (also see Isaiah 60:20)

The moon will be dismayed, the sun ashamed; for the Lord Almighty will reign on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem, and before its elders—with great glory.

Also no need to Christianise this text!

F2F

Of course the primary application is the great slaughter of the Assyrian army (Isa 37:36) will signal the bringing in of this overwhelming fruitfulness and harvests for the Land! In the future Israel will be subject to futher slaughters however God will saves the tents of Judah first!

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

What's YOUR view?

God bless you all!

Hello brother Stephan.

When Jesus said Whoever seeks to save his life shall lose it, he really meant it. I could only say this by experience. I used to fear life, worrying about the future. I'm just poor and I live in a 3rd world country. I grew up being relatively poor. But then later got a job that pays quite well, that's considered high salary at least in my country. But then when I got converted, God made me forsake everything for his sake. To what extent?

In Acts, you'll read how people when they became Christians, they sold their lands, everything they had and laid it on the apostles feet so that they might distribute it to the poor. They cared for the widows that were widows indeed, they gave to the poor saints in Jerusalem. Then they had all things in common. They shared whatever they had and did not count anything as their own. This is the heart of being a Christian.

If you read Matthew 5-7, and Luke 13, there you will see what God requires of us to be saved. All over the bible, you'll find that trusting in riches will never save you, especially if you don't share it to those who are poor. God said that the poor will never cease in the land, therefore you should open wide your arms and give what they need.

You also might know how Jesus taught a lot about giving. Give, lend, and do not ask back and your reward shall be great in heaven. Do not store up treasures on earth but in heaven where niether moth nor rust corrupt. Give from what you have, not from what you don't have. This means being content with what you have, not trying to become rich before sharing with others. Jesus, our God, even became poor and left his kingdom to save us.

But there are plenty of promises too if you obey God. First, your salvation. If you lose your life here, you'll save it. Then you'll never lack anything even if famine hits the land. How awesome that promise is! Even rich people could suddenly become poor and they have no promises to hold on to because they did not obey God who owns all riches.

That's the theme of the New Testament actually. Being a Christian is married to death, poverty, and sacrifices. But there is great reward in heaven. And you are safe from fear of whatever could happen. Even the economy collapsing. Because God owns everything and he takes care of his saints. I won't say this without having experienced it myself. I'd be a hypocrite. God has always been faithful in providing for me even in uncertain times.

I don't have a denomination too by the way if that's a concern. The word of God is everything to me. Also, Jesus said whoever does not forsake and lose his life on earth is not worthy for his kingdom. That's salvation itself. Jesus said, What profit is it if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? What can you give in exchange for your own soul? Again, Jesus meant it when he said it. Not just for the very rich or what we consider rich, but even a poor person could be greedy and would not share to the needy and would save for his own.

Psalm 112:5-7,9 KJV
A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion. [6] Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance. [7] He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord. [9] He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.

Psalm 37:19,21,26,28 KJV
They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied. [21] The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth. [26] He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed. [28] For the Lord loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.

There's too many verses about your concern. I could share more if you'd like but you're probably familiar with them already anyway.

StephanT

Jul 5, 2023
Twickenham
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much everyone! This is very enlightening (and great news!). I'll be working on opening a Christian IC soon. I'll post a separate thread - but I already have the budget, and the business plan to keep it running, and evidently, we can work together on fulfilling Isaiah 26:20-21.

God bless you all.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

What's YOUR view?

God bless you all!
I believe that no amount of attempts at self-preservation is going to change what has been written about the beast going to war against the saints and overcoming them (Revelation 13:7) in the days immediately leading up to the return of Christ and the resurrection from the dead.

10 Do not at all fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the Devil will cast some of you into prison, so that you may be tried. And you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful to death, and I will give you the crown of life.
11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death.

25 But that which you have, hold fast until I come.
26 And he who overcomes and keeps My works to the end, to him I will give power over the nations.
27 And he will rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of a potter they will be broken to pieces, even as I received from My Father.
28 And I will give him the Morning Star.
29 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Attempts at self-preservation led the Jews to sacrifice pigs on the altar in the temple to a foreign god which Antiochus IV Epiphanes had placed in the holy place - the temple sanctuary. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. A little compromise for the sake of self-preservation will lead to the same sort of apostasy.

Fleeing Judea / Babylon the Great and (if possible) hiding in the Grand Canyon (for example) is not compromise, though. It's denying Christ when the authorities have found you and forced you to either accept the beast or his mark, or be killed. I think that this is what Jesus is talking about and has in mind when He speaks to us about attempting to preserve our life - it's at the point where we either deny Him, or are killed.

In recent history Isis afforded that choice to many - but if those many had managed to flee to another country to preserve themselves, that is not sinful, but wise, IMO.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What's YOUR view?

God bless you all!

I'm non-denominational also, but I was raised in a mainstream Christian denomination which I will not name.

If you're talking about 'survivalists', I don't see a problem there, if they can really live 'off-the-grid', go to. I don't believe it is strictly possible today. They've still got to pay taxes, and follow the laws of the land. In reality then, what the most ardent survivalist would define as living off the grid can no longer be like America's ancestors who first settled in the Americas. Those times simply are no more. Everyone is going to be subject to the powers that God has allowed to be setup.

Per God's Word as actually written about the times of the end of this world, the coming "great tribulation" is not going to be like the Pre-trib Rapture school tries to teach with books like Late Great Planet Earth by their spokesmen Hal Linsday and Tim LaHaye's Left-Behind series of books and movies. That material is bogus, and does not stay with Bible Scripture. It is used as a scare tactic by the Pre-trib Rapture school.

Luke 17:33 verse is our Lord Jesus preparing those who understand His prophecies about the end, especially for the time of "great tribulation" He warned His elect about that listen to Him. It ties with His warning of Matthew 10:28 to not fear those who can kill our flesh body but not our soul, but fear Him (The Father) Who can destroy both body and soul in the future "lake of fire". That also links with His warnings about the end with some of His elect being delivered up to give a Testimony against the beast, per Mark 13 and Matthew 24, which is also a link to the 5th Seal of Rev.6.

So be the first one 'Taken' and not 'Left-Behind'?? Absolutely not, for that idea is nowhere written to happen for the faithful Christian. It instead is an idea twisting Christ's warning at the end of that Luke 17 chapter about the 1st one 'taken'. When Jesus' disciples asked Him, "Where, Lord", He said wheresoever the carcase is, that's where the fowls will be gathered together (which is the Matthew 24:28 version of Luke 17:37).

So while the false Pre-trib Rapture doctors are teaching their congregations to fly away to be the 1st one TAKEN, they are actually teaching their blind members to flee to the Antichrist and his hosts for the end of this world.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm non-denominational also, but I was raised in a mainstream Christian denomination which I will not name.

If you're talking about 'survivalists', I don't see a problem there, if they can really live 'off-the-grid', go to. I don't believe it is strictly possible today. They've still got to pay taxes, and follow the laws of the land. In reality then, what the most ardent survivalist would define as living off the grid can no longer be like America's ancestors who first settled in the Americas. Those times simply are no more. Everyone is going to be subject to the powers that God has allowed to be setup.

Per God's Word as actually written about the times of the end of this world, the coming "great tribulation" is not going to be like the Pre-trib Rapture school tries to teach with books like Late Great Planet Earth by their spokesmen Hal Linsday and Tim LaHaye's Left-Behind series of books and movies. That material is bogus, and does not stay with Bible Scripture. It is used as a scare tactic by the Pre-trib Rapture school.

Luke 17:33 verse is our Lord Jesus preparing those who understand His prophecies about the end, especially for the time of "great tribulation" He warned His elect about that listen to Him. It ties with His warning of Matthew 10:28 to not fear those who can kill our flesh body but not our soul, but fear Him (The Father) Who can destroy both body and soul in the future "lake of fire". That also links with His warnings about the end with some of His elect being delivered up to give a Testimony against the beast, per Mark 13 and Matthew 24, which is also a link to the 5th Seal of Rev.6.

So be the first one 'Taken' and not 'Left-Behind'?? Absolutely not, for that idea is nowhere written to happen for the faithful Christian. It instead is an idea twisting Christ's warning at the end of that Luke 17 chapter about the 1st one 'taken'. When Jesus' disciples asked Him, "Where, Lord", He said wheresoever the carcase is, that's where the fowls will be gathered together (which is the Matthew 24:28 version of Luke 17:37).

So while the false Pre-trib Rapture doctors are teaching their congregations to fly away to be the 1st one TAKEN, they are actually teaching their blind members to flee to the Antichrist and his hosts for the end of this world.
They can actually. When buying land simply refuse to file the deed with the state.

No property taxes.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Are you sure you have that Isaiah 30:26 interpretation, right?
Yes, because Isaiah 30:26a, 27, 28 & 30; describe something that can be literally fulfilled. The sun frequently has sunspots which explode out at times and do cause effects on earth. Usually quite minor, but scientists know am earth directed big one could cause havoc here.
But for God's faithful people, there will be joy, as all the Christian peoples go to live in all of the holy Land. Isaiah 30:26b & 29, Psalms 107. +

We WILL need to take shelter on that Day; from the extreme heat, the violent storms, the earth shaking and the huge tsunamis, plainly prophesied to happen on the Day the Lord sends His fiery wrath. Revelation 6:12-17, 2 Peter 3:7
Also no need to Christianise this text!
There are only two peoples; those who love the Lord and keep His Commandments and all the other peoples. The Bible text is for those who accept the Salvation of Jesus.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They can actually. When buying land simply refuse to file the deed with the state.

No property taxes.
Then the right to ownership defaults to the state. Not a good option. If you don't have a deed of the property with your name as the owner, then you don't own the land.

StephanT

Jul 5, 2023
Twickenham
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There's also "seasteadding" if you find the concept interesting, but I feel it's a bit too "involved" (the requirement for a boat, license, experience, etc.).

Hence, I think purchasing a village cheaply in rural X (Spain, Philippines, etc) is a good option. It can be funded in two ways:
a) one person purchases it outright and rents out or provides loans in exchange for partial ownership at 0% interest since the goal is to build a community, not to make money

b) multiple people pool together their funds and purchase it.

To put things in perspective, an entire village in Spain, fully abandoned, can be purchased for roughly 200K USD. You'll need, however, skilled workers to fill the community roles (carpenter, IT, doctors, etc) to make it 'work'. But it's 100% possible.

Total autonomy is very hard if not impossible, these days, I know some people dream of this, and it's commendable, but I think we have to be realistic if we want to make it happen.

Note there are already thousands of communities of this type listed on ic.org. However, I couldn't find a Born Again Sola Scriptura one, which gave me the idea to start one. I have 25 years experience of entrepreneurial experience, and I want to spend the next 25 (God willing), to exalt not myself, not the community, but God.

There are very strict rules on this forum, so I cannot recommend a plan of action outside of continuing this thread and throwing ideas in. If you want to PM me, PM me - that's up to you.

I think what's most important is keeping the convo going and throwing ideas in, ideas that exalt God.

StephanT

Jul 5, 2023
Twickenham
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone - I've been warned by the admin that I'm close to breaking the rules with my post - so it's been modified to better fit the rules of this forum. Note that I'm only here to discuss things - nothing more - seeking answer to questions and figuring out what's biblical, what's not, and what could be misinterpreted. It is not my intention to link, promote or advertise anything. I hope this clarifies things :) Thank you and God Bless you!

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then the right to ownership defaults to the state. Not a good option. If you don't have a deed of the property with your name as the owner, then you don't own the land.
Not true.
The person(s) person from whom the land was purchased files thrift paperwork, a transfer of their deed to the buyer.
Ergo, the landowners deed is transfered by that method to the buyer whose name is registered as the buyer on that transfer paperwork.

While the buyer retains the deed that would have the former owners name on it, with their copy of the transfer of rights and ownership on that transfer paperwork that shows the new landowners name.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true.
The person(s) person from whom the land was purchased files thrift paperwork, a transfer of their deed to the buyer.
Ergo, the landowners deed is transfered by that method to the buyer whose name is registered as the buyer on that transfer paperwork.

While the buyer retains the deed that would have the former owners name on it, with their copy of the transfer of rights and ownership on that transfer paperwork that shows the new landowners name.
And then we're back to the state having a RECORD of who to go after for TAXES on that property.