In Jesus name or the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
One of my good friends in Christ and I got into a disagreement on baptizing in Jesus name of the Holy Trinity. I told her it is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit because Jesus said it out of his own mouth. She said in the name of Jesus since the apostles did it and since Jesus make up all 3 of the Holy Trinity.

What is it? Does it matter? Why not baptize in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit and in Jesus name I baptize you?

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
One of my good friends in Christ and I got into a disagreement on baptizing in Jesus name of the Holy Trinity. I told her it is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit because Jesus said it out of his own mouth. She said in the name of Jesus since the apostles did it and since Jesus make up all 3 of the Holy Trinity.

What is it? Does it matter? Why not baptize in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit and in Jesus name I baptize you?

I have always see it like this... Baptism is not some pagan ritual that we are expected to follow, by arcane words or gestures. It is a public testament of your faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is your belief that just as you have joined Jesus in death, ( by crucifying the 'flesh', and placing your life in his hands, by accepting him as your Lord and Savior, serving not yourself but Him,) and we are joined with him in burial, ( water baptism ), then we will join with him in resurrection, ( at the rapture).

To me as long as a person understands this fact and agrees to it, then it doesn't matter under which 'name' you are baptized. It is similar to the difference between praying to Yoshua, or praying to Jesus. It is the person that matters. With baptism, it is public declaration of your faith that matters.

It really saddens me to see Christians, segregate themselves by differences that ultimately isn't any difference. Do you honestly believe that Jesus is the kind of person that would take someone who gave his life to him, that tried to life a good life, not to get salvation, but in response to his salvation, that read his word, and shared the gospel with others, and when he stands before him, expecting to hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant", instead he hears," Oh so sorry, you got baptized under the wrong name.... You FAIL!.. Straight to Hell for you...Bwahahahahahahah!!!"

That is not the God I serve.

Joshua David

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Water baptism is no small matter.

Mark 16:16 (NKJV)
[sup]16 [/sup]He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
Water baptism is no small matter.

Mark 16:16 (NKJV)
[sup]16 [/sup]He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

In this verse, is the focus on the belief, or the baptism?

Joshua David

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.

We are to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, per Jesus' words. I suspect that being baptized in Jesus name is just a short way of saying it. At the time the apostles were baptizing it was necessary to distinguish whose name they were being baptized into. Remember, some were baptized by John, then there was baptism among false teachers, so saying be baptized in Jesus' name is easier than saying have you been baptized into the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit every time they mentioned baptism. Church history shows us that just after the apostles when the church baptized people they immersed them three times, once each in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Baptism is not some complicated practice, but it means much. Any Christian can Baptize someone. The person being Baptized must simply believe upon Jesus Christ as Savior and Resurrected only begotten Son of God whom died for his/her sins. Any Christian can then take that person to a body of water and fully immerse the person, stating "I Baptize you in the name of Jesus Christ or, I Baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - and then raise the person up out of the water. They are now Baptized into the body of Christ. It is not the Christian doing (or officiating) the Baptism that makes the person Baptized, it is the Lord that accomplishes the Baptism, for we do it in His Name thereby asking His seal upon it.

So as not to sound confusing on what name to Baptize in, see Acts 2:38; 8:16; 10:48; 19:5; Rom 6:3. For after Christ was glorified, it was ALWAYS said to Baptize in the name of Jesus Christ. But when you say Jesus Christ, you are saying the Father, Son, And Holy Spirit, for they are One (1st John 5:7).

When you say the words, Jesus Christ, you are saying: "Yehovah Savior, the Anointed One." Anointed with the The Holy Spirit of God from the womb (Matt 1:20). So when you say, Jesus Christ, you are actually mentioning all three offices (or aspects) of the Holy Trinity, God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit (in the Greek = The Spirit The Holy):

Yehovah (YHVH - the Lord God), Messiah (Savior - Jesus), i.e., the Anointed One (with the Holy Spirit of God). This should shed additional light on the controversy over whether to Baptize in the name of Jesus Christ, or, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If you understand the languages — it is the same thing! For certainly the Scriptures do not contradict themselves, else one be correct and one incorrect! "...and the scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35):. Thus, being Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ is synonymous with being Baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit:

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
Guys,

I just wanted to make something clear. I never said that being baptized is not important. I believe that everyone should be baptized. I just don't think that your salvation hinges on the fact that you got baptized in Jesus name vs the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Like I said, it is not some pagan ritual with ritualized words and gestures. It is a public declaration of your faith.

Joshua David

Reactions: Angelina

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Guys,

I just wanted to make something clear. I never said that being baptized is not important. I believe that everyone should be baptized. I just don't think that your salvation hinges on the fact that you got baptized in Jesus name vs the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Like I said, it is not some pagan ritual with ritualized words and gestures. It is a public declaration of your faith.
I pretty much agree that salvation is not dependent upon water baptism. The thief on the cross wasn't baptized but Jesus said he is saved. But again, the thief couldn't be baptized.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I pretty much agree that salvation is not dependent upon water baptism. The thief on the cross wasn't baptized but Jesus said he is saved. But again, the thief couldn't be baptized.

Actually, salvation is tied to water Baptism. Thief on the cross was saved under the old covenant as Jesus had not yet died. However, If God chooses to save one without baptism He can, but the command is to be baptized.

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
Actually, salvation is tied to water Baptism. Thief on the cross was saved under the old covenant as Jesus had not yet died. However, If God chooses to save one without baptism He can, but the command is to be baptized.

I would disagree.. Now I do believe that we are commanded to be baptized. And I agree that we all should be baptized, just as baptism is a commandment, so is keeping the Lord's Supper a commandment.

But, commandment or not, Baptism is a work, a good work, a commanded work, a work that we should all do, but a work none the less. And we are saved by grace through faith, not of works so that no man can boast.

If we believe on Jesus Christ then we will be saved.

Joshua David

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
For anyone to imply that we MUST be baptized to be saved is rather ridiculous. If someone is dying immediately, can they not be saved without being baptized? Of course they can.

I was not aware that water baptism was required under THE LAW of Moses.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I would disagree.. Now I do believe that we are commanded to be baptized. And I agree that we all should be baptized, just as baptism is a commandment, so is keeping the Lord's Supper a commandment.

But, commandment or not, Baptism is a work, a good work, a commanded work, a work that we should all do, but a work none the less. And we are saved by grace through faith, not of works so that no man can boast.

If we believe on Jesus Christ then we will be saved.

Joshua David

Hi Joshua,

You seem open minded so let present my case. Ephesians 2:8 is usually quoted out of context. Christians quote it and say anything we do is a work, however, in Ephesians 2:8 Paul has something specific in mind when he say they are not saved by works.Remember this is a letter not a list of verses, we need ot understand everything in this letter in the context of the entire letter. So, let's look at the larger context. If they aren't saved by works, why aren't they saved by works?

Ephesians 2:11-20 ( KJV )
Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances
; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

The reason they're not saved by works is because Christ abolished the Law. We see from this that Paul's reference to works here is a refernce to Works of hte Mosaic Law. In verse 10 he tells them that they were created fro good works. Take notice that most times when you see Paul mention works there is some mention of the Law. Now, consider this words of Paul also.

Romans 2:5-10 ( KJV )
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Here Paul says that God will judge every man according to his deeds. Surely Paul is not contradicting himself, is he? He says those who continue in well doing are seeking eternal life. Logic dictates that if works palyed no part in obtaining eternal life, all the good doing in the world would not be seeking eternal life, yet Paul says it is.

Then we also have the words of James to consider. James says that faith without works is dead. Many Christians say that James is saying that real faith will produce works, however, look closely at what he said, faith without works is dead, he asks rhetorically can that faith save? the answer is no. Well, if faith must have works in order to be alive, then works cannot logically be the product of faith they must be a part of faith. He makes this case clearer a few verses later.

James 2:20-23 ( KJV )
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

We see here that James says faith worked together with Abraham’s works, and by works his faith was made complete. Earlier he said faith without works is dead , it is unable to save. If it works that make this dead faith complete and able to save, logic dictates that works must be necessary for salvation.

I think this is sufficient to show that works are indeed necessary , if not please feel free to let me know I can go further. Moving on to Baptism, while God can save anyone He chooses to save any way He chooses to save them, we are told to be baptized. The Ante Nicene Church understood baptism as the point where one is born again, John 3:5 and others. However, the apostle Paul directly connects baptism to the resurrection.

Romans 6:3-5 ( YLT )
are ye ignorant that we, as many as were baptized to Christ Jesus, to his death were baptized?
we were buried together, then, with him through the baptism to the death, that even as Christ was raised up out of the dead through the glory of the Father, so also we in newness of life might walk.
For, if we have become planted together to the likeness of his death, so also we shall be of the rising again;

I’ve used Young’s Literal translation here because it makes the a little more clearly. Paul says, if we have been planted together to the likeness of his death. The Greek word translated likeness is

Thayer’s Greek Definitions
G3667 ὁμοίωμα homoiōma Thayer Definition: 1) that which has been made after the likeness of something 1a) a figure, image, likeness, representation 1b) likeness, i.e. resemblance, such as amounts almost to equality or identity Part of Speech: noun neuter
Notice it’s a figure, an image, a representation. An image is something that can be seen, likewise a representation can be seen so this is something visible. That would exclude being baptized in the holy Spirit. Firstly, the baptism in the holy Spirit is invisible not visible. Secondly baptism in the holy Spirit is not a representation of anything. Water baptism on the other hand is both visible and it is a representation of our partaking in Christ’s death. So, I think it is clear that Paul is referring here to water baptism, and it is this baptism that he ties to the resurrection. He says, if we have been planted in the likeness of his death we shall also be of the rising again. This ties water baptism directly to participation in the resurrection.

For anyone to imply that we MUST be baptized to be saved is rather ridiculous. If someone is dying immediately, can they not be saved without being baptized? Of course they can.

You can't use situational circumstances to dismiss the word of God. As I said before God can save anyone He wants to save. However, Paul ties water baptism to the resurrection see my post to Joshua.

I was not aware that water baptism was required under THE LAW of Moses.
[

That's not what I said. When the thief was saved, the New Covenant had not yet gone into effect because Jesus was still alvie.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
You can't use situational circumstances to dismiss the word of God. As I said before God can save anyone He wants to save. However, Paul ties water baptism to the resurrection see my post to Joshua.
Water baptism is a work. I was baptized, so I surely believe in water baptism. But I wasn't baptized to be saved. I was baptized because I was already saved.
That's not what I said. When the thief was saved, the New Covenant had not yet gone into effect because Jesus was still alvie.
They were baptizing. The thief was not baptized. He was saved. I'm not sure what your point is.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Water baptism is a work. I was baptized, so I surely believe in water baptism. But I wasn't baptized to be saved. I was baptized because I was already saved.

No, you weren't already saved. Please explain how you were saved before your sins were remitted.

They were baptizing. The thief was not baptized. He was saved. I'm not sure what your point is.]

My point is that Baptism is a New Covenant command. When the thiref was save the New Covenant wa not in effect because Jesus was still alive.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
No, you weren't already saved. Please explain how you were saved before your sins were remitted.
Here's how:

Romans 10:9-10 (NKJV)
[sup]9 [/sup]that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. [sup]10 [/sup]For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto
salvation.
My point is that Baptism is a New Covenant command. When the thiref was save the New Covenant wa not in effect because Jesus was still alive.
There are a LOT of NT commands. We are not saved until we obey them all?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.

Here's how:

Romans 10:9-10 (NKJV)
[sup]9 [/sup]that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. [sup]10 [/sup]For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto
salvation.

That is one verse, it does not supersede the rest of Scripture, it is one verse. Are you suggesting that Paul was preaching that people are saved without having their sins forgiven?

If we are to come to a proper understanding of Scripture we must take all of the passages of Scriptures on a given topic into consideration and draw a conclusion from the preponderance of the evidence. For instance, Paul said, you must confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, Jesus said, 'He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. Peter said, repent and be baptized. So, we can see just from these verses that we must believe, confess, repent, and be baptized in order to be saved. We cannot just pick one and reject the others. They are all Scripture given by either Jesus Himself or His apostles.

There are a LOT of NT commands. We are not saved until we obey them all?

Actually, we will not be saved until the end, until after the judgment. We are currently in a saved state,

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
That is one verse, it does not supersede the rest of Scripture, it is one verse.
And it is very clear.
Are you suggesting that Paul was preaching that people are saved without having their sins forgiven?
No. Are you suggesting that we receive forgiveness of sins by being baptized?
If we are to come to a proper understanding of Scripture we must take all of the passages of Scriptures on a given topic into consideration and draw a conclusion from the preponderance of the evidence. For instance, Paul said, you must confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, Jesus said, 'He who believes and is baptized shall be saved.
And Jesus said:
[sup]16 [/sup]He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but
he who does not believe will be condemned.

He had a perfect opportunity to say 'he who isn't baptized shall be condemned'. He didn't.
Peter said, repent and be baptized. So, we can see just from these verses that we must believe, confess, repent, and be baptized in order to be saved.
That's only your opinion. Where does it say we MUST be baptized to be saved?
We cannot just pick one and reject the others. They are all Scripture given by either Jesus Himself or His apostles.
You didn't mention the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus said we MUST obey it to be saved. Most do not. Do you?
Actually, we will not be saved until the end, until after the judgment. We are currently in a saved state,
So, are you saved or not?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.

And it is very clear.

Yes, it is, but it is still just one.

No. Are you suggesting that we receive forgiveness of sins by being baptized?

Yes, I am. That is what Peter said, repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. Ananias said to Paul, be baptized and wash away your sins.

And Jesus said:
[sup]16 [/sup]He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but
he who does not believe will be condemned.

He had a perfect opportunity to say 'he who isn't baptized shall be condemned'. He didn't.

Do you realize you are now forming doctrine based on what Jesus didn't say? First of all there is no reason to say he who isn't baptized won't be saved, If one does not believe it does not matter whether he is baptized or not he won't be savec. Salvation is a process, the first step is belief, if one doesn't do the first step it doesn't matter whether they do the second step or not.

That's only your opinion. Where does it say we MUST be baptized to be saved?

I showed you. Jesus said, 'He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. Peter said repent and be baptized and you shall receive the gift of the holy Spirit. Can a person be saved and not receive the holy Spirit?

You didn't mention the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus said we MUST obey it to be saved. Most do not. Do you?

Yes, he did. I didn't give an exhaustive list, I just listed a few to make a point. Obedience is also necessary to be saved.

So, are you saved or not?

As I said, we are in a saved state. We are in a relationship with Christ kind of like an engagement. We are awaiting the wedding at which point we will be saved.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Yes, I am. That is what Peter said, repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. Ananias said to Paul, be baptized and wash away your sins.
So if you're spouse, parent, child, etc. was dying immediately and wanted to be saved you would tell them they must be baptized to wash away their sins?
Do you realize you are now forming doctrine based on what Jesus didn't say? First of all there is no reason to say he who isn't baptized won't be saved, If one does not believe it does not matter whether he is baptized or not he won't be savec.
The thief wasn't baptized, but he was saved. Yes, they were baptizing then.
Salvation is a process, the first step is belief, if one doesn't do the first step it doesn't matter whether they do the second step or not.
Glad the thief didn't know all this.
I showed you. Jesus said, 'He who believes and is baptized shall be saved.
"But he that doesn't believe shall be condemned."
Peter said repent and be baptized and you shall receive the gift of the holy Spirit. Can a person be saved and not receive the holy Spirit?
No.
Yes, he did. I didn't give an exhaustive list, I just listed a few to make a point. Obedience is also necessary to be saved.
So you obey every command in the NT?
As I said, we are in a saved state. We are in a relationship with Christ kind of like an engagement. We are awaiting the wedding at which point we will be saved.
So, are you saved?