In praise of Mary!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In praise of Peter, Paul & Mary!
What a trio.....God must really be impressed!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You already push Mary to a place where she shouldn't be, make Easter the central focus of your calendar, when Jesus just said to remember and commemorate His death, have a priesthood when all Christians are supposed to be priests, but this one--no, no no.
Saturday is the Sabbath-instituted at Creation. It is neither yours not Mary's. It belongs to the Lord.

I have never heard of such a thing.

the sabbath was of the old creation
We are a new creation in Christ!

sing a new song of salvation into the Lord!

Psalm 98:1
O sing unto the Lord a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Psalm 149:1
Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

what is this new song?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really too bad that you believe all these twisted thoughts. I believe what the Bible clearly says, not what the RCC church says.

Please answer this: what causes you to believe these extra-Biblical falsities. What is your need to make Mary -- Jesus' mother whom He rejected in Matthew 12:47-49, " Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside wanting to speak to you.” To the one who had said this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And pointing toward his disciples he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers!" -- into someone that is so far from the Biblical description of her?

I know what the Bible clearly says about this woman. Why do you claim that she is someone other than the person who is described in Scripture: a young woman who was selected by God to give birth to Jesus? And please don't repeat your bizarre claims without in-context reference to the Bible.

He is glorifying Mary!
She is the faithful one who does the will of God Lk 1:45

a) "your brothers" means -- ready? -- your brothers. Jesus didn't say "this woman is not my mother" nor did He say "these are my half-brothers"
b) "But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord’s brother." Galatians 1:19
c) Matthew 13:55, "Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother named Mary? And aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas?"

This last quote clearly identifies Mary as His mother and the four siblings as His brothers! It doesn't say half-brothers!

Now you either believe what the Bible -- God's Word -- clearly says or you don't!

many times scripture says one thing and means another

is Jesus the son of Joseph? Jn 1:45
no, not a biological son

does Mary have a sister also named Mary?

John 19:25
Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

scripture says his mothers sister, but it’s not his mothers sister, but sister in law!

Mk 15:40 There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;

Is Mary the mother of James?
If you mean the Blessed Virgin Mary then no. Her sister-in-law, Mary of Clopas, was the wife of Alphaeus (St. Joseph's brother), and mother of Simon, Joseph, and the apostles Judas Thaddeus, and James (the Less, brother of the Lord): Jesus' cousins.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a question that has been bothering me recently: why do Catholics add so much "baggage", much of it figments of someone's imagination, to the truth of God's word, both the book and the incarnate Word?

The whole idea of Mary being a perpetual virgin.
The ornate costumes and rituals, none of which are found in the New Testament.
The massive amounts of "information" added to the doctrine of Christianity.
The confessing of sins to a "father", which can be forgiven by repeating rote "prayers".
Sprinkling of infants to replace true baptism.
The claim that Peter, who denied Christ three times, was the first Pope.
The claim that the RCC is the one "true" church.
The offices of Pope, bishop, and cardinal, none of which are scriptural.
The denial of the "bread" and wine to non-Catholics.
The praying to "saints" instead of to God.
The idols -- statues of Mary and "saints" -- everywhere, including automobile dashboards, candles, etc.
Depicting Jesus as still on the cross.
The massive amount of unscriptural doctrine.

And that is just for starters! I'm sure that more can be added to this list, but those are just what came to mind as I was writing.

I grieve for my Catholic brothers and sisters who have been so deceived by the above that they have clearly lost sight of the meaning of Christianity.

Reactions: Cassandra

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the sabbath was of the old creation
We are a new creation in Christ!

sing a new song of salvation into the Lord!

Psalm 98:1
O sing unto the Lord a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Psalm 149:1
Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

what is this new song?

It sure ain't called Saturdays are Mary days!!!

Sabbath is still the 7th day--a memorial of Creation. Can you imagine how many more folk would disavow evolution if they took Genesis literally?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Traditional prayer of Christians!

The Angelus!

The Angel of the Lord declared to Mary: Lk 1:28
And she conceived of the Holy Spirit. Matt 1:20

Hail Mary...

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. Lk 1:38

Hail Mary...

Hail Mary...
And the Word was made Flesh: And dwelt among us. Jn 1:14

Hail Mary...

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:

Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts; that we, to whom the incarnation of Christ, Thy Son, was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection, through the same Christ Our Lord.
Amen.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Traditional prayer of Christians!

The Angelus!

The Angel of the Lord declared to Mary: Lk 1:28
And she conceived of the Holy Spirit. Matt 1:20

Hail Mary...

Behold the handmaid of the Lord: Be it done unto me according to Thy word. Lk 1:38

Hail Mary...

Hail Mary...
And the Word was made Flesh: And dwelt among us. Jn 1:14

Hail Mary...

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:

Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts; that we, to whom the incarnation of Christ, Thy Son, was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection, through the same Christ Our Lord.
Amen.

Regarding the traditional prayer of Catholics (not "Christians)...

Is Mary "the handmaid of the Lord"? She was Jesus' mother, not His "handmaid".

Why is "Hail Mary..." repeated? Is she hard of hearing?

Praying to Mary is unscriptural. Why pray to a dead woman when we're instructed to pray to God?

We are worthy of the promises of Christ once we acknowledge Him as our Lord and Savior.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sure ain't called Saturdays are Mary days!!!

Sabbath is still the 7th day--a memorial of Creation. Can you imagine how many more folk would disavow evolution if they took Genesis literally?

I don’t accept evolution

traditionally the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday is a day of hope! Cos Mary had hope in the resurrection!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the traditional prayer of Catholics (not "Christians)...

Is Mary "the handmaid of the Lord"? She was Jesus' mother, not His "handmaid".

Why is "Hail Mary..." repeated? Is she hard of hearing?

Praying to Mary is unscriptural. Why pray to a dead woman when we're instructed to pray to God?

We are worthy of the promises of Christ once we acknowledge Him as our Lord and Savior.

Not his handmaid

she is the only “handmaid of the Lord” Lk 1:38

38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

alive not dead

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a question that has been bothering me recently: why do Catholics add so much "baggage", much of it figments of someone's imagination, to the truth of God's word, both the book and the incarnate Word?

The whole idea of Mary being a perpetual virgin.
The ornate costumes and rituals, none of which are found in the New Testament.
The massive amounts of "information" added to the doctrine of Christianity.
The confessing of sins to a "father", which can be forgiven by repeating rote "prayers".
Sprinkling of infants to replace true baptism.
The claim that Peter, who denied Christ three times, was the first Pope.
The claim that the RCC is the one "true" church.
The offices of Pope, bishop, and cardinal, none of which are scriptural.
The denial of the "bread" and wine to non-Catholics.
The praying to "saints" instead of to God.
The idols -- statues of Mary and "saints" -- everywhere, including automobile dashboards, candles, etc.
Depicting Jesus as still on the cross.
The massive amount of unscriptural doctrine.

And that is just for starters! I'm sure that more can be added to this list, but those are just what came to mind as I was writing.

I grieve for my Catholic brothers and sisters who have been so deceived by the above that they have clearly lost sight of the meaning of Christianity.

Jesus depicted still on the cross?

Gal 3:1
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

We live in the power of the resurrection but conform to His passion and death till He returns in glory, we share in His suffering.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus depicted still on the cross?

Gal 3:1
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

We live in the power of the resurrection but conform to His passion and death till He returns in glory, we share in His suffering.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Go into any Catholic church and you will see the dead Christ still on the cross! Your out-of-context quotes have nothing to do with this fact. It is a visual denial of the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

I will never conform to His passion and death. He has given me new life in Him; He lives and reigns in heaven. (present tense). And "if they [and we] have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they [and we] are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning." 2 Peter 2:20.

I am in Christ, a member of His body. I am dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11, "In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go into any Catholic church and you will see the dead Christ still on the cross! Your out-of-context quotes have nothing to do with this fact. It is a visual denial of the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

I will never conform to His passion and death. He has given me new life in Him; He lives and reigns in heaven. (present tense). And "if they [and we] have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they [and we] are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning." 2 Peter 2:20.

I am in Christ, a member of His body. I am dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11, "In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

we believe in and teach the resurrection
And live in the power of the resurrection but need repentance and his cross and passion produce fruits of repentance

we conform to Christ and Him crucified until he returns in glory

confirmed to his death in baptism

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Romans 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In praise of Mary!

More you praise the Mona Lisa the more you are praising Leonardo de Vinci!

Do you really think he would be upset to see you paying so much attention to his masterpiece?

Mary is God’s masterpiece!

All love honor reverence or devotion given to Mary is given to God who created her, and Christ who endowed Her “full of grace” Lk 1:28

Praise of Mary and the saints redounds to the Glory of Who created them, Lk 1:49 to Christ who redeemed them, and to the Holy Spirit who sanctified them with graces obtained by the merits of Christ! Source of Grace is Christ! Jn 1:16-17

Mary is the air we breathe!

Just a breathing is a sign of life, so devotion to Mary is a sign of life in Christ, and the spirit!

Mary brought forth with the Holy Spirit the life of the world!

The Holy Spirit filled Her with and grace and prerogatives!

Repetitive prayer verses repeating payers!

Repetitive prayer is forbidden. (to repeat yourself in a single prayer)

But repeating prayer many times is not forbidden, Christ prayed three times, “let this cup pass”!

SUB tuum praesidium!

WE fly to thy patronage, O holy Mother of God; despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin. Amen.

Hail Mary! Full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women,
Lk 1:28 blessed is the fruit of thy womb, (Jesus) Lk 1:42 Holy Mary, mother of God, Lk 1:43 pray for us sinners, now,
rev 5:8 and at the hour of our death, Matt 24:13 amen!

Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

A Song of thanksgiving to Mary for bringing our salvation!

“All generations / all Christians Must call Her Blessed”!

Pray for us, oh holy mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ!

Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
[The Litany of Loreto]
(A litany is an ancient form of prayer)

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, hear us.
Christ,
graciously hear us.
God, the Father of Heaven,
have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the World,
have mercy on us.
God the Holy Spirit,
have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God,
have mercy on us.
Holy Mary,
pray for us.
Holy Mother of God,
pray for us.
Holy Virgin of Virgins,
pray for us.
Mother of Christ,
pray for us.
Mother of Divine Grace,
pray for us.
Mother most Pure,
pray for us.
Mother most Chaste,
pray for us.
Mother Inviolate,
pray for us.
Mother Undefiled,
pray for us.
Mother most Amiable,
pray for us.
Mother most Admirable,
pray for us.
Mother of good Counsel,
pray for us.
Mother of our Creator,
pray for us.
Mother of our Savior,
pray for us.
Virgin most Prudent,
pray for us.
Virgin most Venerable,
pray for us.
Virgin most Renowned,
pray for us.
Virgin most Powerful,
pray for us.
Virgin most Merciful,
pray for us.
Virgin most Faithful,
pray for us.
Mirror of Justice,
pray for us.
Seat of Wisdom,
pray for us.
Cause of our Joy,
pray for us.
Spiritual Vessel,
pray for us.
Vessel of Honor,
pray for us.
Singular Vessel of Devotion,
pray for us.
Mystical Rose,
pray for us.
Tower of David,
pray for us.
Tower of Ivory,
pray for us.
House of Gold,
pray for us.
Ark of the Covenant,
pray for us.
Gate of Heaven,
pray for us.
Morning Star,
pray for us.
Health of the Sick,
pray for us.
Refuge of Sinners,
pray for us.
Comforter of the Afflicted,
pray for us.
Help of Christians,
pray for us.
Queen of Angels,
pray for us.
Queen of Patriarchs,
pray for us.
Queen of Prophets,
pray for us.
Queen of Apostles,
pray for us.
Queen of Martyrs,
pray for us.
Queen of Confessors,
pray for us.
Queen of Virgins,
pray for us.
Queen of all Saints,
pray for us.
Queen conceived without Original Sin,
pray for us.
Queen assumed into Heaven,
pray for us.
Queen of the most Holy Rosary,
pray for us.
Queen of Peace,
pray for us.
Lamb of God, Who take away the sins of the world,
spare us, O Lord!.
graciously hear us, O Lord!
have mercy on us. .
V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray.
Grant, we beg Thee, O Lord God, that we Thy servants, may enjoy lasting health of mind and body, and by the glorious intercession of the Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, be delivered from present sorrow and enter into the joy of eternal happiness. Through Christ our Lord. R. Amen.
So you worship and praise Mary as an idol. Noted.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

All true Christians!

also sing a new song of salvation!

HAIL MARY!

Status
Not open for further replies.