Interesting Read on Bible Versions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It still amazes me how many people still hold the KJV up as the only true Bible.

No matter how many translation errors you point out they still think it's pure.

No matter how much you point out the political nature of its origin, they still think it's pure.

No matter how much you point out they they do not use a 1611, but the 1679, they still think it's pure.

No matter how much you prove the TR is Catholic, they still think the KJV is pure.

No matter how much you point out we simply do not speak in 1679 English, they still think it's pure.

I acknowledge no version is pure. But they do not.

Something is very wrong with the way KJVO think.

Well, though I may not be KJVO. I do believe it to be the best version and the one to be trusted. I do not trust any of the modern day versions. Maybe some of things you say you 'point out' are not quite as clear as you believe.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, though I may not be KJVO. I do believe it to be the best version and the one to be trusted. I do not trust any of the modern day versions. Maybe some of things you say you 'point out' are not quite as clear as you believe.

Stranger
If that's what you prefer that is your right.

None of the versions are perfectly clear due to being translations from ancient languages.

But, with the KJV you have the added problem of being through 1679 English.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that's what you prefer that is your right.

None of the versions are perfectly clear due to being translations from ancient languages.

But, with the KJV you have the added problem of being through 1679 English.

Most modern versions are in perfect English, yet they are not to be trusted, in my opinion.

Stranger

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most modern versions are in perfect English, yet they are not to be trusted, in my opinion.

Stranger
Indeed, it is rarely the grammar or spelling or modern versus ancient usage that is the problem.

A good translation in the secular should convey the intended meaning of the original author. Should this not be even more important with the scriptures if they are indeed a message(s) from God?

If we agree that God is the author then should not those translating require guidance from God so as not to leave out anything that God would consider pertinent?

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, it is rarely the grammar or spelling or modern versus ancient usage that is the problem.

A good translation in the secular should convey the intended meaning of the original author. Should this not be even more important with the scriptures if they are indeed a message(s) from God?

If we agree that God is the author then should not those translating require guidance from God so as not to leave out anything that God would consider pertinent?

Yes, those translating should require guidance from God. And I would submit this. Were there any group of translators who sought the glory of God and dependence on God, more than the King James Version translators?

Stranger

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, those translating should require guidance from God. And I would submit this. Were there any group of translators who sought the glory of God and dependence on God, more than the King James Version translators?

Stranger
Based on my personal knowledge I could not say definitely but based on my experience with the KJV you would have to be correct.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Based on my personal knowledge I could not say definitely but based on my experience with the KJV you would have to be correct.

There is a very good book I think you might enjoy. It is called "God's Secretaries, The Making of the King James Bible". It is very good, and readable. It is by Adam Nicolson.

Stranger

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a very good book I think you might enjoy. It is called "God's Secretaries, The Making of the King James Bible". It is very good, and readable. It is by Adam Nicolson.

Stranger
Thank you for this. Quite a few years ago I was looking for dictionary of the King James Bible English usages. I forget now the name of the book I found on the Internet, but it was completely out of print. What I found and purchased instead was this: "The Language of the King James Bible" written by Gail Riplinger, copywright 1998. It is not an easy book to simply read, but I have found it to be a great reference book compares it detail on many points with several of the other popular English Bibles.

I am making a note with interest of the one you suggest and when I have time I will certainly be looking for it as an addition to my own library. Thank you very kindly...

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for this. Quite a few years ago I was looking for dictionary of the King James Bible English usages. I forget now the name of the book I found on the Internet, but it was completely out of print. What I found and purchased instead was this: "The Language of the King James Bible" written by Gail Riplinger, copywright 1998. It is not an easy book to simply read, but I have found it to be a great reference book compares it detail on many points with several of the other popular English Bibles.

I am making a note with interest of the one you suggest and when I have time I will certainly be looking for it as an addition to my own library. Thank you very kindly...

You are quite welcome. I believe you will like it.

Stranger

Reactions: amadeus