Interesting that the Bible is "the Word of God", unless someone quotes a translation you disagree with.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because if they change it to their own idea, rather than what it was given, then whose 'word' is it?
--- PARODY TIME ---

KJO reader: This is what the Word of God says.
NIV reader: Let's compare the NIV translation.
KJO reader: WHAT! ??? That's a terrible translation!
NIV reader: Are you saying it isn't the "Word of God"?
KJO reader: The NIV left verses out of the Bible!
NIV reader: No, the NIV kept the same verse numbering system
but left out verses that didn't belong there in the first place.
KJO reader: THEY REMOVED VERSES FROM THE BIBLE !!!!
NIV reader: No, that's not what happened.
KJO reader: Yes it is what HAPPENED !!!
NIV reader: Show me one.
KJO reader: Here you go.
NIV reader: My footnote accounts for that.
KJO reader: Accounts for verses removed from the Bible? ???
NIV reader: The footnote says: It does not appear in any New Testament
manuscript prior to the end of the 6th century.
KJO reader: It's NOT the Word of God !!!!
NIV reader: Seriously?

Interesting that the Bible is "the Word of God", unless someone quotes a translation you disagree with.

Do you do that?

Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is my belief that the Word of God are those instances in the Bible where God or Jesus are quoted.
Thank you Bob for saying what you have.

My teacher who, always told others he taught never to believe him, and even when praying asked that people would forget whatever could be bad, and hold on to the good before he ever started teaching the lessons be it on any book of the bible; always inspired me to be someone like that… because while I may teach something and no one should ever believe me and if I ever teach something that was bad, that it could be overlooked and to hold on to what is good. He also encouraged people to go to God themselves.

He always, encouraged for other people to read the bible itself and to check out what he is saying against the bible by and with the holy spirit.

That is why I dont understand why people argue over translation issues or they just make a mockery of the bible in general. It doesnt help, in fortifying nor pointing out where the words of God and the words of Jesus are founded.

That to me is highly important… of course is my opinion too, there was nothing ever in this world that helped change my mind set towards the things of God like the use of a Bible that one will use and read.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Bob for saying what you have.

My teacher who, always told others he taught never to believe him, and even when praying asked that people would forget whatever could be bad, and hold on to the good before he ever started teaching the lessons be it on any book of the bible; always inspired me to be someone like that… because while I may teach something and no one should ever believe me and if I ever teach something that was bad, that it could be overlooked and to hold on to what is good. He also encouraged people to go to God themselves.

He always, encouraged for other people to read the bible itself and to check out what he is saying against the bible by and with the holy spirit.

That is why I dont understand why people argue over translation issues or they just make a mockery of the bible in general. It doesnt help, in fortifying nor pointing out where the words of God and the words of Jesus are founded.

That to me is highly important… of course is my opinion too, there was nothing ever in this world that helped change my mind set towards the things of God like the use of a Bible that one will use and read.
What I find troubling is the belief some Christians have that the Bible was written by people with agendas and doesn't always tell the truth. The Bible always tells the truth. I am one who believes we don't have to agree with all of Paul's opinions - opinions aren't lies - but the Bible never lies.

Reactions: MatthewG

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What I find troubling is the belief some Christians have that the Bible was written by people with agendas and doesn't always tell the truth. The Bible always tells the truth. I am one who believes we don't have to agree with all of Paul's opinions - opinions aren't lies - but the Bible never lies.

Well, I am one of those people you may be referring to except I would rephrase your statement like this: -

What I find troubling is the belief some Christians have, that the translated Bible(s) was not translated by people with agendas and that the translators conveyed the original context without modification from the original context. All translations do not always, in parts, convey the original context of the source texts. The original source text of the Bible always conveys the context that God intended. I am one who believes we don't have to agree with the expressed context of the translators, and that we need to search out what the original context conveyed, through our own research.​

The present-day translations lead us all down a merry path that was not the intent of God in the scriptures created by Him.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You aren't lying about that, at all, that was something my friend also had pointed out. Considering the bible was written to an ancient people.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I am one of those people you may be referring to except I would rephrase your statement like this: -

What I find troubling is the belief some Christians have, that the translated Bible(s) was not translated by people with agendas and that the translators conveyed the original context without modification from the original context. All translations do not always, in parts, convey the original context of the source texts. The original source text of the Bible always conveys the context that God intended. I am one who believes we don't have to agree with the expressed context of the translations, and that we need to search out what the original context conveyed, through our own research.​

The present-day translations lead us all down a merry path that was not the intent of God in the scriptures created by Him.
If we are free to question all the translations, then we can rewrite the Bible anyway we want, can't we? (And I wouldn't advise that.)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the Bible was written for all time, I believe.
Cool. So do I. It is a special gift from God to all those who are able to have access to it. Spiritual road map if you would like to say that.

Reactions: Bob Estey

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If we are free to question all the translations, then we can rewrite the Bible anyway we want, can't we? (And I wouldn't advise that.)

Sadly, that is what is happening today. Just look at how the translations are moving away from the original contexts of the source texts.

Consider the consequences of the second death. References to the second death can be found from the book of Genesis to the book of Revelation, but our present-day translations have hidden the second death and its consequences from view except in a few places in the scriptures.

Some would suggest that it is wise to be a Beran, testing everything that we read.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just be open about it with people, and ask them if they ever heard of the second death before @Jay Ross. That is all you gotta do is bring up the subject. My mother never knew about the lake of fire until the other day.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Just avoid bible correctors, or anyone (Preacher or Teacher or Pope) who tells you that the Greek Text is superior to the Bible.

"well behold, isnt the original greek,"...............

There isn't any original Greek. There are only copies.. There are about 30 Greek Texts, complete.

About 4, are Legit, more or less., and most are considered to be too altered, too skewed, too, "doctrinally manipulated".

This means that if you want the ORIGINALS then take your time machine back to 30 AD and get the Apostle's letters, as those are LONG GONE....

"well behold, what bible do we read"..

I use a few... and the way i check for "which one to use, and which one to put in the bird cage, on the bottom", is very simple.

Look for these 2 verses, in your bible to say this......

1.) "GOD was manifested in the Flesh"

2.) "God is A Spirit".

Why those?

Because when you read that 'HE was manifested in the flesh", instead of "God", then you have found a book that is trying to deny the Deity of Christ.

And If your bible says "God is Spirit", but not "God is
A Spirit" then we are now deep diving into Paganism, Pantheism, Taoism, and other assorted "isms".
See, God is THE HOLY Spirit, and that is not the spirit in a Dog, or a Demon, or a unbeliever.

Understand?

So, a REAL BIBLE makes the CLEAR Distinction between "A Spirit", that is God's Holy Spirit, and "spirit" as if its all the same, spirit.
I assure you that the spirit that is in SATAN, is not the Spirit that is God's Holy Spirit.
Make sure your bible makes the distinction, or find a real bible that does.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just love the Father and love others before you die.

Anything that is a doctrine that causes you to start hating others…

That is a road down the dark path.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also its okay if people dont know everything in the bible either… some times just continued encouragement and to continue to stay in faith and pray with them is a great thing, some people fall away from faith though cause of the isseus life can being upon them. They more focus on the world than God, jesus said. So an option to is to encourage the teaching of the word.

It all boils down to having faith and havinf love.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly, that is what is happening today. Just look at how the translations are moving away from the original contexts of the source texts.

Consider the consequences of the second death. References to the second death can be found from the book of Genesis to the book of Revelation, but our present-day translations have hidden the second death and its consequences from view except in a few places in the scriptures.

Some would suggest that it is wise to be a Beran, testing everything that we read.
From God's point of view, I suspect the Bible is very important in letting us know his will. I suspect he has ways of getting that done.

Reactions: MatthewG

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
From God's point of view, I suspect the Bible is very important in letting us know his will. I suspect he has ways of getting that done.

I have also said previously that our present translations are the best means we have at the moment to establish our respective relationships with God.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have also said previously that our present translations are the best means we have at the moment to establish our respective relationships with God.
I think the purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to God. Maybe the Bible doesn't have to be perfect to get that done.

• Love

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think the purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to God. Maybe the Bible doesn't have to be perfect to get that done.

Yes, Bob you have just repeated what I said, but in another way.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sometimes this concept of agency has caused the translators of our Bible difficulties. The Hebrew word for “God”(elohim) has a wide range of meanings. Depending on context, it can mean the Supreme Deity, or “a god” or “gods” or even “angels” or human “judges.” This difficulty is reflected in verses like Exodus 21:6

The KJV reads… “Then his master shall bring him unto the judges;”

The NIV reads… “then his master must take him before the judges.”

But

The NASB reads… “then his master shall bring him to God”

So too the RSV… “then his master shall bring him to God”

Clearly, because the judges of Israel represented God as His agents, they are called “God,” elohim. As the slave gave his vow before these representatives of God, he was in fact making a binding vow before Jehovah. The agents were as God.

So Translations... kinda matter if you don't have the tools to compare...

BTY.... I never said which Bible was correct.... So Let's shut it down before it begins...

Paul
And using this example should lead many to understand Elohim in the beginning refers to both angels, as much as it can humans. God works through His Agents whether they be angelic or human messengers. What trinitarians force on the Word in those early chapters is criminal.

Reactions: Pierac

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, that IS the point. You say the KJV is the worst translation because it says "dragons", but I say what's the problem with dragons? People have known about them for a long time. Are we moving next to unicorns? Would you have an easier time with "monohorn", which would probably me more relateable today, and also a more literal translation? But "unicorn" isn't wrong. Just like "dragon" isn't wrong. And really, who doesn't know what a dragon is?

Much love!
Must be a Ghost then ;)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I confess the phrase applies in my mind to non-believers. Among believers, we scour the word for separating the translation gulf.