Interesting that the Bible is "the Word of God", unless someone quotes a translation you disagree with.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do discriminate between translations. Not all translations are equal.

I much prefer word-for-word translations (formal) to thought-for-thought translations (dynamic), and I put both of those ahead of paraphrases.

If you want to look at the original language in a concordance or lexicon, it's easy to do with a word-for-word translation (KJV, ESV). Once you know the meaning of the underlying word, you can carry that knowledge to every place where the same word occurs in English. You can't do that with with a dynamic translation (NIV), and this is important to me.

But formal translations tend to be clunky and lack flow. Some words don't have a good 1-to-1 equivalent between languages. The YLT shows what happens when you carry formal translation methods to their extreme - comprehensible not sometimes the English is. (I think Yoda may have been an editor).

Paraphrases have the easiest-to-understand English (Living Bible), but they aren't true translations. You're really reading someone else's understanding of some other version of the Bible. These are suitable for children.

There are a few Bibles that I regard as corrupt, usually because they have ADDED to the text. The Amplified Bible includes a massive amount of commentary that shows up as part of the text. The Scofield Bible has a huge bias in favor of... a particular end-times position... and uses chain-references and in-line commentary throughout to either make passages support that position, or explain away passages that don't support it. There are other chain-reference Bibles as well, and they tend to have the same problem, though not always the same theological bias.

edit: FWIW, the gold-standard Bible for those who are serious about studying the Bible is the NRESVUE, which is a modernization of the Revised Standard Version.
Ah, A new one for me.... I shall add it to the collection

Thank you,

Reactions: The Learner

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do discriminate between translations. Not all translations are equal.

I much prefer word-for-word translations (formal) to thought-for-thought translations (dynamic), and I put both of those ahead of paraphrases.

If you want to look at the original language in a concordance or lexicon, it's easy to do with a word-for-word translation (KJV, ESV). Once you know the meaning of the underlying word, you can carry that knowledge to every place where the same word occurs in English. You can't do that with with a dynamic translation (NIV), and this is important to me.

But formal translations tend to be clunky and lack flow. Some words don't have a good 1-to-1 equivalent between languages. The YLT shows what happens when you carry formal translation methods to their extreme - comprehensible not sometimes the English is. (I think Yoda may have been an editor).

Paraphrases have the easiest-to-understand English (Living Bible), but they aren't true translations. You're really reading someone else's understanding of some other version of the Bible. These are suitable for children.

There are a few Bibles that I regard as corrupt, usually because they have ADDED to the text. The Amplified Bible includes a massive amount of commentary that shows up as part of the text. The Scofield Bible has a huge bias in favor of... a particular end-times position... and uses chain-references and in-line commentary throughout to either make passages support that position, or explain away passages that don't support it. There are other chain-reference Bibles as well, and they tend to have the same problem, though not always the same theological bias.

edit: FWIW, the gold-standard Bible for those who are serious about studying the Bible is the NRESVUE, which is a modernization of the Revised Standard Version.
Useful information concerning Bible translations, there are three types. Word for Word, Thought for though, and paraphrasing.

• Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good posts, thanks.
Thanks for the recommendation. I gave it a quick look. I'll give it a test drive.

How about a Muslim, or a Buddhist? That probably doesn't come up much...

How about Mormons? The LDS church has been one of the best at preserving and translating historical texts.
If the concern is bias, I would think a Christian with an entrenched view from their religious upbringing would be the worst.

/

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many " bibles", many translations, some good, some bad and biased. So, your statement is not quite accurate. As a result, it becomes our responsibility to sort out the good from the bad so as not to be mislead, and not assume that just because the book says Holy Bible on its cover that it is 100% the word of God. And likewise with the church; just because a building says the words 'church' or 'Jesus', or 'God' on it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's truly the body of Christ that meets there. But the word of God is still the word of God that we must seek out. I like the KJV: HOWEVER, I'm also aware of it's few anomalies.
anomalies? where?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about a Muslim, or a Buddhist? That probably doesn't come up much...

How about Mormons? The LDS church has been one of the best at preserving and translating historical texts.
Joseph Smith's so-called translation:

ST. JOHN CHAPTER 1 1 In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They did mine when I was in the USAF and it was completely wrong.
I had Ancestry, 23 and me, and Natl Geographic. All three had the basics pretty much the same but percentages off in part.

I have found that the records in My Heritage will be quasi -accurate and as such wont pay
for the membership... they have an area where anyone can go in and change the records...
I found that in part of my family where someone posted a nurse in the family.. that I know... is an attorney... So I wont really trust them.

But they do have quite a set up of records in Salt Lake City.... and I always wondered why they were so interested in that

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe genealogy, but not the other "books" (Book of Mormon from plates of Nephi? " Book"of Abraham?)
What do Egyptologists say about the Book of Abraham?
“Common Pagan Funerary Text”

“Egyptologists have also since translated the source material for the Book of Abraham and have found it to be nothing more than a common pagan Egyptian funerary text …it was a common Breathing Permit that the Egyptians buried with their dead.Jul 30, 2023

A comparison of the Book of Abraham (as contained in The Pearl of Great Price) with the Egyptian papyrus indicates Joseph Smith did not accurately translate the hieroglyphics. Rather, it appears he made up much of the “translation.” There are multiple insights to be gleaned from this observation.

First, if Joseph Smith could not translate Egyptian accurately, then his “translation” of the Book of Mormon cannot be trusted either. For those not familiar with the story, Joseph Smith claimed that the angel Moroni appeared to him and gave him golden tablets which contained ancient Egyptian on them. Yet, if Smith could not translate Egyptian, then the entire Book of Mormon is dubious.

Second, since Joseph Smith claimed to be a prophet of God, he is held to the standard of truthfulness expected of prophets (cf. Deut 18:20–22). Since he is demonstrably lying about his translation of the Egyptian texts, he should be considered a false prophet and a deceiver.

Finally, all of this leads to the inescapable conclusion that Mormonism is a faulty religion based on a false prophet, utilizing falsified holy writings. This is a serious charge, but one that is backed up by the evidence.

As I said at the beginning, I love my Mormon friends.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
--- PARODY TIME ---

KJO reader: This is what the Word of God says.
NIV reader: Let's compare the NIV translation.
KJO reader: WHAT! ??? That's a terrible translation!
NIV reader: Are you saying it isn't the "Word of God"?
KJO reader: The NIV left verses out of the Bible!
NIV reader: No, the NIV kept the same verse numbering system
but left out verses that didn't belong there in the first place.
KJO reader: THEY REMOVED VERSES FROM THE BIBLE !!!!
NIV reader: No, that's not what happened.
KJO reader: Yes it is what HAPPENED !!!
NIV reader: Show me one.
KJO reader: Here you go.
NIV reader: My footnote accounts for that.
KJO reader: Accounts for verses removed from the Bible? ???
NIV reader: The footnote says: It does not appear in any New Testament
manuscript prior to the end of the 6th century.
KJO reader: It's NOT the Word of God !!!!
NIV reader: Seriously?

Interesting that the Bible is "the Word of God", unless someone quotes a translation you disagree with.

Do you do that?
We can translate, manufacture and quote till the desert freezes over but unless we see Jesus as God's final word and hear him, we become flailing, stubborn and self important people who will not understand how to understand the written word. We will in fact spin off on a thousand tangents missing the point.

Luke 8:18
Take heed therefore how ye hear, for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.”

Luke 9:35
And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do Egyptologists say about the Book of Abraham?
“Common Pagan Funerary Text”
An LDS Elder visited my home several decades ago.
He showed me a verse I had never noticed before.

1 Corinthians 15:29 NRSVUE (New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition)
Otherwise, what will those people do who receive baptism on behalf of the dead?
If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?

/

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
And what did this person say about it?

There is a lot of commentary... but only one that makes any sense.... as we all know you cannot be baptised for another...

(2) by others, that the word "baptized" here is taken in the sense of washing, cleansing, purifying, as in Matthew 8:4; Hebrews 9:10; and that the sense is, that the dead were carefully washed and purified when buried, with the hope of the resurrection, and, as it were, preparatory to that.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

And what did this person say about it?
I don't recall. I was a bit stunned.
It seemed to be in order to show me that there were things right under my nose that I had overlooked.
They did have a genealogical library behind their church. (lower rear entry)
I suppose that had something to do with it.

There is a lot of commentary... but only one that makes any sense.... as we all know you cannot be baptised for another...
That's the mystery here. What is the Apostle referring to?
He is acknowledging that there are baptisms for the dead.
There is no prohibition against it stated.
He asks two questions.

(2) by others, that the word "baptized" here is taken in the sense of washing, cleansing, purifying, as in Matthew 8:4; Hebrews 9:10; and that the sense is, that the dead were carefully washed and purified when buried, with the hope of the resurrection, and, as it were, preparatory to that.
This doesn't address the "on behalf of" aspect.
People who receive baptism on behalf of the dead.

I'm not suggesting that we do this, but it appears to have been a practice at one point.

/ cc: @Augustin56

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He asks two questions.

Among the many false beliefs and distortions creeping into the Church at the time one was that one could be baptised for those who had died but didn't get baptised.
Paul is countering the disbelief in the resurrection (the context tells us this) by making the point that if the dead aren't raised then what is the point of getting baptised for them.

Another example of using a false view to highlight a truth is Jesus' story of Lazarus and the Rich Man. His point was, 'if they don't believe Moses and the Prophets, they won't believe even if one rose from the dead.

1....Paul was highlighting the the validity of the resurrection from the dead; he was not making a case for baptism for the dead. 2...Jesus is not giving a sermon on the afterlife, he is telling them that Moses and the Prophets spoke about being kind and caring for the disadvantaged by using a then currently circulating myth. The punch line being at the end of the story.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

I don't recall. I was a bit stunned.
It seemed to be in order to show me that there were things right under my nose that I had overlooked.
They did have a genealogical library behind their church. (lower rear entry)
I suppose that had something to do with it.

He asks two questions.

This doesn't address the "on behalf of" aspect.
People who receive baptism on behalf of the dead.
This is on behalf of a dead person...

I'm not suggesting that we do this, but it appears to have been a practice at one point.

/ cc: @Augustin56
And there are people who pray for the dead... certain churches encourage it.

There is no where in the bible that says you can save another once they are dead. There is nowhere that says
you can save another... that is strictly up to them... and God. Unless you count "1 Cor 7:14... For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy... but they are alive not dead