Irrational/rational Fear write outs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, EBTherapy (or EBPractice) is a study to determine which emotive therapies work best with a specific patient.

"Emotive" refers to perceptional thinking.
I was thinking of EFT - Emotional Freedom Techniques. Thanks for the info. :)

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So part of my anxiety is I get irrational fears in my mind I can't do anything about really, so they sound mighty funny writing out. So here is an exercise for anyone who ever struggles with this also.

I also write a lot, and have written extensively about my fears, anxieties etc. My latest is a fear of small pockets, especially in my own flesh. I've actually had this fear most of my life. I can remember a nightmare I had as a small child where some insect numbed out an area behind my ear and deposited innumerable eggs. They then hatched and began scurrying all over my head, face, body etc.

About two or three years ago, I was online and saw an image on yahoo of someone's knee. They had just removed it from some gravel and there were numerous small bits of dirt and gravel embedded in the knee as well as pock marks from where other pieces had fallen out.

A few days later there was yet another similar picture of someone's thumb which had bits of debris embedded in it as well as holes where pieces had fallen out.

A few days later, there was yet another picture of some flowering plant that had lost it's flowers, and a seed pod was all that remained. It also had some seeds in the pods, but others had fallen out and left empty holes.

All of these images elicited an incredibly strong urge to vomit followed by an intense need to escape or somehow erase these images from my mind. The only thoughts that were associated with these images were of evacuating my cranial vault with a 12 gauge shotgun.

I do not believe these thoughts are mine. I seriously believe that they were somehow transmitted through the images themselves on my computer screen.

This fear of holes is known as trypophobia. My conclusion is probably just a garden variety paranoia.

Reactions: Mayflower

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be afraid that I had a secret, terminal or chronic illness. WebMD provided me with momentary comfort, but it also help me diagnose myself with worse things. Once my pinky finger was moving by itself and I remembered that Michael J. Fox had that symptom, which turned into Parkinson’s disease - of course it wasn’t the quad espresso I drank in two seconds about an hour earlier - it was Parkinson’s! I lived with this type of anxiety for years, until I started sitting and listening to God for 15 minutes a day. I would sit with my eyes closed and my mind alert and just let my thoughts flow by. You can call it meditation, but it is so much more because it is completely focused on God.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and amadeus

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is hard to just feel overwhelmed with emotion. It is hard to know what I am thinking. But I'm a bit terrified about seeing my dad. I wish I really understood why I feel this way about it. I got to think of Lorena too. And Ill deeply regret as my last living parent not to see him and he ends up dying one day. He is older now. I can give him that respect. He always deeply cared for us. I do love my dad. But Ive just had chills for a couple days. Numbness again. I want to face my fear once and for all for both my husband and my daughter. And for me. I think seeing him if just once will finally bring closure.

Hello, @Mayflower ...how are you doing? I'm wondering how your visit with your dad turned out (for you and for him).

Your story sounds very similar to my experience with my own dad. Maybe I will share my experience at some point.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello, @Mayflower ...how are you doing? I'm wondering how your visit with your dad turned out (for you and for him).

Your story sounds very similar to my experience with my own dad. Maybe I will share my experience at some point.

Yes that was actually last year. It turned out okay. We havent talked since then. Just feels a bit awkward and he is still drinking, so makes it hard.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that was actually last year. It turned out okay. We havent talked since then. Just feels a bit awkward and he is still drinking, so makes it hard.

I understand. Just continue to pray for him. I will pray as often as this comes to mind.

Did you ever resolve why you were having such a strong reaction to the anticipation of seeing him?
If this is too much, feel free not to answer.

When I heard from my dad in 2004 after no contact for 6 years, I had so many conflicting responses and emotions. I felt nausea (for weeks), and yet I knew it was an answer to prayer. I'd prayed for his salvation since I came to Christ at age 13. They Lord told me when I was a baby Christian (age 14;1986) that He would save my dad. I prayed for him for years until God told me to lay that burden down in 1997.

For over 6 years, I didn't hear from him and didn't know if he was dead or alive. Then he recontacted me in late 2004. I knew it was an answer to those prayers and God's promise. So although my physical body reacted with nausea, my heart was hopeful.
I did go see him in January 2005 ...as he had been diagnosed with cancer. I knew God wanted me to visit him ...yet I experienced anxiety, and nightmares. Although I went with my husband and our children were with us, overall, it was a positive time. I did spend a great deal of mental energy making sure my children were not physically close to him.

I went to see him again, alone, in September 2004. But I didn't take my children. I did not want a man who'd sexually abused me from infancy to look at my children and have impure thoughts toward them. But I wanted to be there for him in his time of need.
It was good for him and for me. He couldn't do much because of the pain meds. But he knew I was there. And I saw something different in his eyes when he was coherent...peace and love. I knew there had been a change.

We went again to see him on Thanksgiving Day. His siblings were there. He was especially coherent through most of the visit. And when he had to go to bed, I was able to talk privately with him, hug him, and pray with him. When I was to leave, he said, "I'll be seein' you." I grasped his foot on my way out of the room. And that night, I got word that he passed away.

I had prayed that if his heart was right and ready to meet God, that God would take him Home on Thanksgiving Day. He answered my prayer. :) And a pastor confirmed that my dad had accepted Christ a few months before.

Despite such powerful moving of God, this was extremely difficult emotionally, and it triggered new trauma memories, nightmares, etc. But it was a springboard toward so much more healing. God knows what He's doing. :)

Just because we encounter difficulty does not mean God isn't directing. God has taught my heart not to judge a journey by its storms. And by that, I mean ...God himself may direct us to get into a boat and embark on a journey where we will encounter fierce storms. But like with Peter, God will use those storms to teach us things we would have never otherwise been able to learn. In the storm, Peter learned to walk by faith and not by sight. Later, he was the one who said to the blind man in the gate..."Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I unto you." What Peter learned in the storm, he was able to give.... "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" That was exactly the lesson Peter learned in that storm! Amazing, isn't it?

He will use you and I to give to others..."such as I have...I give...in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth..." Amen. :)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I understand. Just continue to pray for him. I will pray as often as this comes to mind.

Did you ever resolve why you were having such a strong reaction to the anticipation of seeing him?

When I heard from my dad in 2004 after no contact for 6 years, I had so many conflicting responses and emotions. I felt nausea (for weeks), and yet I knew it was an answer to prayer. I'd prayed for his salvation since I came to Christ at age 13. They Lord told me when I was a baby Christian (age 14;1986) that He would save my dad. I prayed for him for years until God told me to lay that burden down in 1997. For over 6 years, I didn't hear from him and didn't know if he was dead or alive. Then he recontacted me in late 2004. I knew it was an answer to those prayers and God's promise. So although my physical body reacted with nausea, my heart was hopeful.
I did go see him in January 2005 ...as he had been diagnosed with cancer. I knew God wanted me to visit him ...yet I experienced anxiety, and nightmares. Although I went with my husband and our children were with us, overall, it was a positive time. I did spend a great deal of mental energy making sure my children were not physically close to him.
I went to see him again, alone, in September 2004. But I didn't take my children. I did not want a man who'd sexually abused me from infancy to look at my children and have impure thoughts toward them. But I wanted to be there for him in his time of need.
It was good for him and for me. He couldn't do much because of the pain meds. But he knew I was there. And I saw something different in his eyes when he was coherent...peace and love. I knew there had been a change.
We went again to see him on Thanksgiving Day. His siblings were there. He was especially coherent through most of the visit. And when he had to go to bed, I was able to talk privately with him, hug him, and pray with him. When I was to leave, he said, "I'll be seein' you." I grasped his foot on my way out of the room. And that night, I got word that he passed away.
I had prayed that if his heart was right and ready to meet God, that God would take him Home on Thanksgiving Day. He answered my prayer. :) And a pastor confirmed that my dad had accepted Christ a few months before.
Despite such powerful moving of God, this was extremely difficult emotionally, and it triggered new trauma memories, nightmares, etc. But it was a springboard toward so much more healing. God knows what He's doing. :)

God has taught my heart not to judge a journey by its storms. And by that, I mean ...God himself may direct us to get into a boat and embark on a journey where we will encounter fierce storms. But like with Peter, God will use those storms to teach us things we would have never otherwise been able to learn. In the storm, Peter learned to walk by faith and not by sight. Later, he was the one who said to the blind man in the gate..."Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I unto you." What Peter learned in the storm, he was able to give.... "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" That was exactly the lesson Peter learned in that storm! Amazing, isn't it? He will use you and I to give to others..."such as I have...I give...in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth..." Amen. :)
@TLHKAJ A very honest post; I do think Psalm 46 is a great background psalm for believers with traumatic experiences. Goes to show also the great importance of prayer as you will have proved.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I heard from my dad in 2004 after no contact for 6 years, I had so many conflicting responses and emotions. I felt nausea (for weeks), and yet I knew it was an answer to prayer. I'd prayed for his salvation since I came to Christ at age 13. They Lord told me when I was a baby Christian (age 14;1986) that He would save my dad. I prayed for him for years until God told me to lay that burden down in 1997.

For over 6 years, I didn't hear from him and didn't know if he was dead or alive. Then he recontacted me in late 2004. I knew it was an answer to those prayers and God's promise. So although my physical body reacted with nausea, my heart was hopeful.

Just because we encounter difficulty does not mean God isn't directing. God has taught my heart not to judge a journey by its storms. And by that, I mean ...God himself may direct us to get into a boat and embark on a journey where we will encounter fierce storms. But like with Peter, God will use those storms to teach us things we would have never otherwise been able to learn. In the storm, Peter learned to walk by faith and not by sight. Later, he was the one who said to the blind man in the gate..."Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I unto you." What Peter learned in the storm, he was able to give.... "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" That was exactly the lesson Peter learned in that storm! Amazing, isn't it?

He will use you and I to give to others..."such as I have...I give...in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth..." Amen. :)

Powerful testimony. Thank you for sharing. Yes, my dad sexually abused me when I was young. And I hadnt seen him in over 15 years. Plus, there was a lot at home besides that. My mom would regularly lock him in the backroom with a dead bolt and chain with the windows boarded up. He wasnt allowed to look at other women, but could for me and babysit me, since I was young and under developed. It was just a really hard childhood. Didnt want to relive those memories. But it went well. It was good to see him...and I recently learned my sister had memories come back where my dad did do the same thing to her. It really was hard to hear.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Praise God....even abusive fathers are worthy of salvation and forgiveness. I have been abused as well....still praying he will accept Jesus into his heart.:)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God....even abusive fathers are worthy of salvation and forgiveness. I have been abused as well....still praying he will accept Jesus into his heart.:)
Amen ...we can make this a matter of prayer as well. :) Stink'n devil doesn't win when we pray for those who've hurt us. Haha! I think Jesus's command to pray for our enemies is as much for us as it is for those we're praying for.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hello there..nice to see you here.

Thank you for that lovely testimony ..."I'll be seeing you" ...and indeed you will.

God bless you and your family .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well for one...just act normal. Say hello and leave it be..for your own protection. You have got over it and forgiven, so I would say let it go.

I got over my 'family member' too, I forgave.
But I made the mistake of feeling that it would be even better if I forgave face to face.
Wrong.
It went sideways ....and he looked at me and said- " I have no idea what you are talking about!! " ...:eek: :rolleyes:
Then I had to fight to 'get over myself' and forgive all over again!!!

Unless God Himself gives you clear directive , smile, say hi...and keep your heart safe. ♥︎

Just my two cents
Ditto on that experience.

I was looking for an apology some years ago. The reply was . . . "you have a problem with anger." Deadpan.

So much for that!

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul