Is “Easter” in the original Scriptures?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Today, for Christians, Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ rising from the dead.
Sorry, Bob, “for Christendom, Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ rising from the dead”...but for “Christians”, it is the adoption of something alien to God and therefore, borrowed from something spiritually “unclean” and so, unacceptable to him as worship. He saw where it came from....

Reactions: TheHC

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Captured territory, in the Name of the Lord. For He has overcome the world!

@Aunty Jane
I hope you understand that Israel did not capture territory in the sense that the nations took it from others. Jehovah is the Creator of all things and has the Sovereign right to give land to his own people. He did this with the Promised Land.....but after Israel’s defeat and captivity in Babylon, (as a punishment for their many defections) their “Land” was no longer under their exclusive control. Foreign powers ruled the people and it was difficult for Israel to get things done as was shown when they were released from Babylon to return “home”...only a remnant did so, and most if not all of those who returned there, were born in Babylon. Their “homeland” was the land of their forefathers, a land they had never occupied. It took strong determination to rebuild what had been destroyed, with continual interference from those in power.

Israel were not conquerors, but receivers of a gift that their God gave them. They did not fight other nations to take their land, but were merely protecting their own from foreign invaders. When they could not follow through on their promise made to God at Mt Sinai, he gave them into the hands of their enemies. They remained in captivity for 70 years....long enough for the guilty older ones to die off.

After their release from Babylon, the diaspora saw them settle elsewhere. When Jesus walked the earth, Jerusalem and the holy land were under Roman control. Israel no longer had an army and the nation was at the mercy of their foreign authorities.

So there was no “captured territory” back then, and there is none today if you think that adopting pathetic pagan festivals is in some way conquering them......on the contrary, they have conquered the so called “Christians” and made their worship into a sham.....a disgusting fusion of pagan ideas and practices covered with a very thin “Christian” label. God is not fooled for a moment.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is “Easter” in the original Scriptures?
No.
Do you believe the King James Version is inerrant?

Correct. The word should be Passover.

And no, the KJV is not inerrant

I can't remember anyone hiding any eggs in the Bible, though I'm not aware of any rules that say we can't hide eggs.

Partaking in pagan rituals is not something real Christians engage in simply because the Lord did not tell us to and we don't see Jesus or the Apostles doing it.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, Bob, “for Christendom, Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ rising from the dead”...but for “Christians”, it is the adoption of something alien to God and therefore, borrowed from something spiritually “unclean” and so, unacceptable to him as worship. He saw where it came from....
I think it's okay for Christians to celebrate Jesus rising from the dead.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If neither God nor Christ commanded it, why do it? That is what got Israel into trouble....doing what they thought was a good idea....they brought in all sorts of beliefs and practices and Jesus said that their traditions invalidated their worship (Matt 15:7-9) ......but it’s your choice.....you don’t have to justify your position to anyone but our appointed judge....but you have to know that he does not accept excuses. (Matt 7:21-23)

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, then celebrate it with your friends & family, and thank God through prayer. (It was wonderful that God resurrected His Son, our Savior.)

But don’t bring Pagan Fertility concepts in to it, w/ bunnies & eggs & false goddesses!

What do you think 2 Corinthians 6:17 means, “Don’t touch their filthy things”(NLT), or “touch no unclean thing”(ESV)? Otherwise, God won’t “welcome you.”

New Living Translation
Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD. Don’t touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you.

English Standard Version
Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are pagan root trough al the Christian faith and practice today. Even the secular calendar of days are named after again deity.
Don’t you have to wonder why? How did paganism get into the Jewish religion? Unfaithful men introduced their own ideas and traditions.....Christianity did exactly the same thing.

The calendar is a good subject for discussion actually because the Julian calendar was replaced by the Gregorian calendar.....a product of the then Pope Gregory.....this head of the “Christian” church had an opportunity to change all the names of the days and months of the year to more suitable Christian or Jewish names, but chose instead to use the names of all the false Roman gods....don’t we need to ask why about that too?

More importantly, how does God feel about that?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well, then celebrate it with your friends & family, and thank God through prayer. (It was wonderful that God resurrected His Son, our Savior.)

But don’t bring Pagan Fertility concepts in to it, w/ bunnies & eggs & false goddesses!

What do you think 2 Corinthians 6:17 means, “Don’t touch their filthy things”(NLT), or “touch no unclean thing”(ESV)? Otherwise, God won’t “welcome you.”

New Living Translation
Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD. Don’t touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you.

English Standard Version
Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

Please explain THIS "coming out from among them" which by virtue of its practical reality, not also will be a "coming out from among them" in terms and practicality of its REALITY IN ACTION IN GATHERING TOGETHER IN PHYSICAL BODY IN CONGREGATION IN TIME ON EARTH OF ITS WORSHIPPERS---like Adam and Eve were confronted by the identically same circumstance and opportunity when "Eve saw and gave to Adam, WITH HER and THEY, DID EAT". What I mean is this, Please explain THIS "coming out from them" which by virtue of its practical reality, not also will be a "coming out from them" in terms and practicality of "Babilon" and a coming out of "Babilon is fallen", which is a having become a Nest of vampires (where Adam and Eve had to do with only one), for which "Christ is become of NO USE", which is "fallen away from Christ", and which---now listen carefully---which IN TERMS OF HAVING "RETURNED TO YOUR FORMER BEGGARLY AND USELESS NO-GODS [FALSE JESUS' AND IMAGES ET AL], THE SUPERSTITIOUS OBSERVANCE OF DAYS, MONTHS, SEASONS, YEARS" NAMELY, OF THE ANTICHRIST BOTH GALATIANS AND JEWS, BOTH OF THE "FORMER", "WORLD".
And all this says nothing of the FALSE 'SUNDAY-LORDS-DAY' as well as of the JEWISH, CHRIST-LESS, LIFE-LESS, NO-RESURRECTION OF CHRIST, ANTICHRISTS', 'Sabbath'?

Give me a brake, the 'come-away' is become an IMPLOSION out of control.

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ rose again the third day. -- Do you believe this?
There was nothing making it a 'holy' day or day of worship in Gods Word, that was brought in by the Roman church to justify the pagan festival of the sun which was easter and this was used to gain more pagan converts who were worshipers of the sun god, and replace the Sabbath as history shows.

Now the fact that Sabbath was supplanted by the church at Rome and even the anti-Judaism stirred up by Jewish revolts is well known and documented, and the claim that came out, that it was from the 'resurrection', one but has to look....
"The author of the "Epistle of Barnabas" adduces the occurrence of the Resurrection on the first day as the reason for the observance of this "true day" (xv.). In the meantime the attitude of the Roman authorities had become intermittently hostile to the Jews; and after the rebellion under Hadrian it became a matter of vital importance for such as were not Jews to avoid exposing themselves to suspicion (Huidekoper, "Judaism at Rome"). The observance of the Sabbath was one of the most noticeable indications of Judaism. Hence, while in the first Christian century more or less regard and tolerance for the Jewish day were shown in Rome, even by non-Jewish Christians, in the second century the contrary became the rule (Justin Martyr, "Dial. cum Tryph." ii., § 28). In the East, however, less opposition was shown to Jewish institutions. Saturday and Sunday both were celebrated by "abstaining from fasting and by standing while praying" (Rheinwald, "Archäologie," § 62), In the West, especially where Roman influence dominated, Saturday was turned into a fast-day (Huidekoper, ib. pp. 343-344). The name "Sunday" is used for the first time by Justin Martyr ("Apologies," i. 67) in accommodation to a Roman nomenclature, but with reference to the circumstances that the light was created on the first day (noticed also in the Midrash; Gen. R. iii.: "ten crowns adorned the first day") and that the "light of the world" rose from the night of the grave on the first day of the week. The Christians, accordingly, were obliged to defend themselves against the charge of worshiping the sun (Tertullian, "Apologeticus," xvi.). The celebration of two days (by the Judæo-Christians?) is attested by Eusebius ("Hist. Eccl." iii. 37) and by the "Apostolic Constitutions," which advise the keeping of Saturday as a memorial of the Creation, and of Sunday, the Lord's day, in memory of the Resurrection (ii. 59).

Originally, then, Sunday and Sabbath were kept sharply distinct. But, like the Jewish Sabbath, Sunday was deemed not merely a holiday, but a holy day, and hence fasting thereon was interdicted (Tertullian, "De Corona Militis," § 3). Ease of mind (ευφροσύνη, which corresponds to "naḥat ruaḥ"; "Epistle of Barnabas," l.c.) was the proper condition for the day. One should not kneel at prayer (Irenæus, "Fragm. de Paschate"; "Apostolic Constitutions," l.c.); the standing posture, being at first a protest against mourning and ascetic rites (such as were forbidden on the Jewish Sabbath), came to be explained as suggestive of the Resurrection.".... SABBATH AND SUNDAY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Some try to say it was changed by the disciples or their actions or the resurrection, but Sunday has nothing even after the resurrection as the disciples continued with the Sabbath as it was before and Christ tells it it would continue so you have to really bend scripture to fit Sunday as the day of worship. It isnt there.......

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If neither God nor Christ commanded it, why do it? That is what got Israel into trouble....doing what they thought was a good idea....they brought in all sorts of beliefs and practices and Jesus said that their traditions invalidated their worship (Matt 15:7-9) ......but it’s your choice.....you don’t have to justify your position to anyone but our appointed judge....but you have to know that he does not accept excuses. (Matt 7:21-23)
God didn't command me to watch a basketball game yesterday, but I did anyhow.

• Haha
Reactions: marks and ScottA

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
I guess I can celebrate it anyway I want.

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was nothing making it a 'holy' day or day of worship in Gods Word, that was brought in by the Roman church to justify the pagan festival of the sun which was easter and this was used to gain more pagan converts who were worshipers of the sun god, and replace the Sabbath as history shows.

Now the fact that Sabbath was supplanted by the church at Rome and even the anti-Judaism stirred up by Jewish revolts is well known and documented, and the claim that came out, that it was from the 'resurrection', one but has to look....
"The author of the "Epistle of Barnabas" adduces the occurrence of the Resurrection on the first day as the reason for the observance of this "true day" (xv.). In the meantime the attitude of the Roman authorities had become intermittently hostile to the Jews; and after the rebellion under Hadrian it became a matter of vital importance for such as were not Jews to avoid exposing themselves to suspicion (Huidekoper, "Judaism at Rome"). The observance of the Sabbath was one of the most noticeable indications of Judaism. Hence, while in the first Christian century more or less regard and tolerance for the Jewish day were shown in Rome, even by non-Jewish Christians, in the second century the contrary became the rule (Justin Martyr, "Dial. cum Tryph." ii., § 28). In the East, however, less opposition was shown to Jewish institutions. Saturday and Sunday both were celebrated by "abstaining from fasting and by standing while praying" (Rheinwald, "Archäologie," § 62), In the West, especially where Roman influence dominated, Saturday was turned into a fast-day (Huidekoper, ib. pp. 343-344). The name "Sunday" is used for the first time by Justin Martyr ("Apologies," i. 67) in accommodation to a Roman nomenclature, but with reference to the circumstances that the light was created on the first day (noticed also in the Midrash; Gen. R. iii.: "ten crowns adorned the first day") and that the "light of the world" rose from the night of the grave on the first day of the week. The Christians, accordingly, were obliged to defend themselves against the charge of worshiping the sun (Tertullian, "Apologeticus," xvi.). The celebration of two days (by the Judæo-Christians?) is attested by Eusebius ("Hist. Eccl." iii. 37) and by the "Apostolic Constitutions," which advise the keeping of Saturday as a memorial of the Creation, and of Sunday, the Lord's day, in memory of the Resurrection (ii. 59).

Originally, then, Sunday and Sabbath were kept sharply distinct. But, like the Jewish Sabbath, Sunday was deemed not merely a holiday, but a holy day, and hence fasting thereon was interdicted (Tertullian, "De Corona Militis," § 3). Ease of mind (ευφροσύνη, which corresponds to "naḥat ruaḥ"; "Epistle of Barnabas," l.c.) was the proper condition for the day. One should not kneel at prayer (Irenæus, "Fragm. de Paschate"; "Apostolic Constitutions," l.c.); the standing posture, being at first a protest against mourning and ascetic rites (such as were forbidden on the Jewish Sabbath), came to be explained as suggestive of the Resurrection.".... SABBATH AND SUNDAY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Some try to say it was changed by the disciples or their actions or the resurrection, but Sunday has nothing even after the resurrection as the disciples continued with the Sabbath as it was before and Christ tells it it would continue so you have to really bend scripture to fit Sunday as the day of worship. It isnt there.......

Good for the Roman Church for declaring Easter a day of celebrating the resurrection of Christ!

Not so good for those who stand back and mock for reasons since overcome.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I can celebrate it anyway I want.
Yes, you sure can.

Do you think my reply to you — what I posted — was for my benefit? (What you do, doesn’t affect my life, one iota!)
It was for yours.
“…touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,”

Best wishes for you, my cousin.

Reactions: Bob Estey

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so good for those who stand back and mock for reasons since overcome.

Interesting word usage.

I’d say the mocking is from those who take a holy thing — such as God’s resurrection of His Son — and then mix pagan gods & disgusting fertility rights into it.

What reasons have ‘since been overcome’?
Have you examined non-biased sources discussing these issues?
Can you explain the relationship of bunnies & eggs with the resurrection of our Savior? How exactly did that get mixed in?

Take care, my cousin.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Don’t you have to wonder why? How did paganism get into the Jewish religion? Unfaithful men introduced their own ideas and traditions.....Christianity did exactly the same thing.

The calendar is a good subject for discussion actually because the Julian calendar was replaced by the Gregorian calendar.....a product of the then Pope Gregory.....this head of the “Christian” church had an opportunity to change all the names of the days and months of the year to more suitable Christian or Jewish names, but chose instead to use the names of all the false Roman gods....don’t we need to ask why about that too?

More importantly, how does God feel about that?
The Roman church and its holdings world wide make it one of the richest dictatorships on earth. With the highest population of devotees on earth.

I think that alone shows God to be largely impressed or disinterested.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain THIS "coming out from among them" which by virtue of its practical reality, not also will be a "coming out from among them" in terms and practicality of its REALITY IN ACTION IN GATHERING TOGETHER IN PHYSICAL BODY IN CONGREGATION IN TIME ON EARTH OF ITS WORSHIPPERS---like Adam and Eve were confronted by the identically same circumstance and opportunity when "Eve saw and gave to Adam, WITH HER and THEY, DID EAT". What I mean is this, Please explain THIS "coming out from them" which by virtue of its practical reality, not also will be a "coming out from them" in terms and practicality of "Babilon" and a coming out of "Babilon is fallen", which is a having become a Nest of vampires (where Adam and Eve had to do with only one), for which "Christ is become of NO USE", which is "fallen away from Christ", and which---now listen carefully---which IN TERMS OF HAVING "RETURNED TO YOUR FORMER BEGGARLY AND USELESS NO-GODS [FALSE JESUS' AND IMAGES ET AL], THE SUPERSTITIOUS OBSERVANCE OF DAYS, MONTHS, SEASONS, YEARS" NAMELY, OF THE ANTICHRIST BOTH GALATIANS AND JEWS, BOTH OF THE "FORMER", "WORLD".
And all this says nothing of the FALSE 'SUNDAY-LORDS-DAY' as well as of the JEWISH, CHRIST-LESS, LIFE-LESS, NO-RESURRECTION OF CHRIST, ANTICHRIST'S, 'Sabbath'?

Give me a brake, the 'come-away' is become an IMPLOSION out of control.
Sorry, but i couldn’t follow one thing you said. Or what your point is.

I did understand “Give me a brake”… which, by the way, is wrong: it’s “give me a break”.

So honestly, I have to ask: Is English your mother tongue? I see you’re from South Africa. Do you speak Afrikaans?

Awaiting your reply and clarification.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Roman church and its holdings world wide make it one of the richest dictatorships on earth. With the highest population of devotees on earth.

I think that alone shows God to be largely impressed or disinterested.
I personally see that as a great success story for the devil, and an indictment against human beings who have been taken in by the greatest con artist in history....is God impressed by wealth and the abuse of power? I seriously doubt it....wealth and power do awful things to human beings (Matt 19:23-24)....those things are doubly corrupting....what ”the church” became after the apostles passed away, does not resemble what Christ started in any way. Those who think so, have never investigated what first century Christianity looked like....

Not this....can you imagine Christ and his apostles dressed in that get up?

Clergy | Religion Wiki | Fandom
What Bishops can do for ex-Protestant clergy--Aleteia

Good grief!!! How on earth did they get from humble beginnings to this? hmmx1:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting word usage.

I’d say the mocking is from those who take a holy thing — such as God’s resurrection of His Son — and then mix pagan gods & disgusting fertility rights into it.

What reasons have ‘since been overcome’?
Have you examined non-biased sources discussing these issues?
Can you explain the relationship of bunnies & eggs with the resurrection of our Savior? How exactly did that get mixed in?

Take care, my cousin.

You say "mix pagan gods...", but there is no mix. To "overcome" is not a "mix", but is a takeover or makeover. Not as a continuation of things unchanged, but changed.

Is that not the same principle of salvation, or even the new heaven and earth?

It is... But then again, many who do not clearly understand, also advocate for glorifying the flesh, rather than all things becoming new in spirit, as God himself is spirit.