Is all of the Bible written to us

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32).

To rightly understand the Word of God, one must understand what part is written to the Church of God and what part is written for the learning of the Church. Every word from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, is written for our learning. However, not all of the words from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, are addressed to us. We must learn to distinguish not only the various people, but also the different time periods God has spoken to if we want to understand the written Word of God. The time God spoke to the children of Israel is not the same time period He has spoken to us. The time He spoke to the prophets in the time of the Old Testament is not the same time period He spoke to His Son Jesus Christ in the time of the gospels.

Administrations must be adapted to the time periods in which they are carried out. The administration with Adam before the fall was different from the one with his immediate family after the fall. The administration with Israel “under the law” was carried out on different principles from the present administration of Grace. This present administration is different from the one that will characterize the return of Christ. The administration of Judgment will be different from the one that will belong to the administration of Glory, when all things shall be gathered together in one under the headship of Christ.

We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we neglect to rightly divide the subject matter. As far as we are concerned in this Grace administration, what happened to Israel in the Old Testament was written for our learning. If we do not rightly divide to whom it's addressed—the Jew, Gentile, or the Church of God, we will use one truth to contradict another truth, and we will use what is true for one group in contrast to what is also true for another group.

These different administrations are suited to different times because God has spoken everything to its proper time and administration. We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we read into one administration what God tells us belongs to another administration. If we believe what God said in one administration and carry it into another administration that was on a different principle, we will be taking what is true for one time, and using it to contradict what is also true for another time. When we mix them all together, by jumbling the whole Bible together: Law, Gospel, Grace, Judgment, Glory, Jew, Gentile, and the Church of God, we will be very confused in our understanding of the truth of God’s Word.

Reactions: Taken and ScottA

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32).

To rightly understand the Word of God, one must understand what part is written to the Church of God and what part is written for the learning of the Church. Every word from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, is written for our learning. However, not all of the words from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, are addressed to us. We must learn to distinguish not only the various people, but also the different time periods God has spoken to if we want to understand the written Word of God. The time God spoke to the children of Israel is not the same time period He has spoken to us. The time He spoke to the prophets in the time of the Old Testament is not the same time period He spoke to His Son Jesus Christ in the time of the gospels.

Administrations must be adapted to the time periods in which they are carried out. The administration with Adam before the fall was different from the one with his immediate family after the fall. The administration with Israel “under the law” was carried out on different principles from the present administration of Grace. This present administration is different from the one that will characterize the return of Christ. The administration of Judgment will be different from the one that will belong to the administration of Glory, when all things shall be gathered together in one under the headship of Christ.

We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we neglect to rightly divide the subject matter. As far as we are concerned in this Grace administration, what happened to Israel in the Old Testament was written for our learning. If we do not rightly divide to whom it's addressed—the Jew, Gentile, or the Church of God, we will use one truth to contradict another truth, and we will use what is true for one group in contrast to what is also true for another group.

These different administrations are suited to different times because God has spoken everything to its proper time and administration. We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we read into one administration what God tells us belongs to another administration. If we believe what God said in one administration and carry it into another administration that was on a different principle, we will be taking what is true for one time, and using it to contradict what is also true for another time. When we mix them all together, by jumbling the whole Bible together: Law, Gospel, Grace, Judgment, Glory, Jew, Gentile, and the Church of God, we will be very confused in our understanding of the truth of God’s Word.
I do not believe all of the Old Testament was written to Christians, but there is a ton to be learned from what God said to the Jews.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Peterlag
Would not "rightly dividing" be accomplished by always being led by the Holy Spirit?
I do find it interesting that I could talk to 5 people in one day about the same verse and all 5 people will give me 5 different interpretations of the same verse and all swear they got it from the holy spirit.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe all of the Old Testament was written to Christians, but there is a ton to be learned from what God said to the Jews.

Did I not say that? That it was written for our learning but was not addressed to us.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

“Us” appears suggestive of “exclusively” Christians.
I would rather say the Scripture’s compiled into a book of books, commonly called “the Holy Bible”, is written for the memorial benefit of ALL men, to hear, read, speak and verify what they hear.

Ex 17:
[
14] And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

They of Berea: (were accounted “doing a Nobel act”; were “Hearers” and then “Verifiers”.

Acts 17:
[11] These (of Berea) were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Glory to God,
Taken

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do find it interesting that I could talk to 5 people in one day about the same verse and all 5 people will give me 5 different interpretations of the same verse and all swear they got it from the holy spirit.
I agree. What I believe is that people sometimes simply do not know what it means to be led by the Spirit.

I must stand where I am at the moment in Him. He will give the increase when and if it is needed. We need to keep on talking to Him and paying attention to and obeying His voice.

Many years ago, I came to the point of questioning myself because I witnessed some questionable [to me and in me] things. I could not fix anyone else who might be wrong. What I could do was in regard to me where I had [if I did?] the control. Every time I felt a need or desire or yearning to yield to the Spirit and speak or dance or run or shout, I tried to surrender myself completely into Jesus name and would not allow myself to act or react until I was assured that what was coming through me was from God. Sometimes I would end up sitting quietly in my seat simply talking to God while others did their thing [no judgment from me regarding the cause or source of their actions], but other times I was given to know that it was of God... and I let go.

That first happened to me many years ago and no matter what anyone else around me may be doing, I strive to stay always on the Lord's side doing what He would have me to do... or not! I do not seek to be moved, but I also, while IN His name [what is this?], do not refuse to be moved.

Sometimes I may know when a person is putting on a facade, but I have striven to never be too quick to effectively lay hands on another person to expose what I thought I knew. In that we should be directed by God. If He wants to use us, He will if we are available.

On this point I also want to always stay touch with God, IN His name, so that I would not remain silent when it really was time to speak, but I would speak when it was time to speak.

I have never purposely faked a blessing or a move from God on me in this way, but the temptation has certainly been upon me to do so in order to effectively announce to those about me, "Look at me, I am a special person in God". When I have felt that spirit, which is certainly NOT the Holy Spirit, I've reached out for the Holy Spirit so that anything which did occur would not be of my carnality nor for my own glory.

People can and do, I believe, play games with people and God having deluded themselves into in believing they must be on God's side.

People can, I believe, quench the Holy Spirit and lead themselves into a ditch.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

“Us” appears suggestive of “exclusively” Christians.
I would rather say the Scripture’s compiled into a book of books, commonly called “the Holy Bible”, is written for the memorial benefit of ALL men, to hear, read, speak and verify what they hear.

Ex 17:
[
14] And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

They of Berea: (were accounted “doing a Nobel act”; were “Hearers” and then “Verifiers”.

Acts 17:
[11] These (of Berea) were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Glory to God,
Taken

Yes you picked up on "us" because that was the question. Is the Bible (all of it) written (addressed) to the Christian? I did not ask if the Bible was written to all men.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There's 2 thousand years of religious confusion on that one question you ask. I wrote a whole book trying to address that topic and could write 5 more trying to unravel what mostly the Catholics introduced into Christianity.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. What I believe is that people sometimes simply do not know what it means to be led by the Spirit.

I must stand where I am at the moment in Him. He will give the increase when and if it is needed. We need to keep on talking to Him and paying attention to and obeying His voice.

Many years ago, I came to the point of questioning myself because I witnessed some questionable [to me and in me] things. I could not fix anyone else who might be wrong. What I could do was in regard to me where I had [if I did?] the control. Every time I felt a need or desire or yearning to yield to the Spirit and speak or dance or run or shout, I tried to surrender myself completely into Jesus name and would not allow myself to act or react until I was assured that what was coming through me was from God. Sometimes I would end up sitting quietly in my seat simply talking to God while others did their thing [no judgment from me regarding the cause or source of their actions], but other times I was given to know that it was of God... and I let go.

That first happened to me many years ago and no matter what anyone else around me may be doing, I strive to stay always on the Lord's side doing what He would have me to do... or not! I do not seek to be moved, but I also, while IN His name [what is this?], do not refuse to be moved.

Sometimes I may know when a person is putting on a facade, but I have striven to never be too quick to effectively lay hands on another person to expose what I thought I knew. In that we should be directed by God. If He wants to use us, He will if we are available.

On this point I also want to always stay touch with God, IN His name, so that I would not remain silent when it really was time to speak, but I would speak when it was time to speak.

I have never purposely faked a blessing or a move from God on me in this way, but the temptation has certainly been upon me to do so in order to effectively announce to those about me, "Look at me, I am a special person in God". When I have felt that spirit, which is certainly NOT the Holy Spirit, I've reached out for the Holy Spirit so that anything which did occur would not be of my carnality nor for my own glory.

People can and do, I believe, play games with people and God having deluded themselves into in believing they must be on God's side.

People can, I believe, quench the Holy Spirit and lead themselves into a ditch.

Feel free to look at what I wrote on this subject if you would enjoy doing so... www.carb-fat.com/jesus.html

Reactions: amadeus

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you picked up on "us" because that was the question. Is the Bible (all of it) written (addressed) to the Christian? I did not ask if the Bible was written to all men.

Is the Bible (all of it) written (addressed) to the Christian?

Sorry, I don’t see the relevance of the Term Christian.
The Beginning of Jesus’ Preaching was to Jews.
The Beginning of Jesus’ Church were Jews.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not that you have all the admins correctly defined...but that is not the issue--you are exactly right, just as the apostle Paul said, we must rightly divided the word of truth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feel free to look at what I wrote on this subject if you would enjoy doing so... www.carb-fat.com/jesus.html
I looked into your site and skimmed it a little. I am hopeful that your studies and suggestions help people to live a better more comfortable physical life.

Doing that I believe can be helpful in the spiritual, but at my age, I'll not get into it much. I trust my wife to buy and prepare proper physical nourishment for me. For me, in the spiritual, the Way is a more direct interaction with the Lord mostly remembering to surrender to Him regularly.

I still too often misstep but if I direct my heart toward Him and admit my frailty and inability to do it all myself, is He not merciful? Will He not help me?

Give God the glory!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the bible is written for all generations.....because each generation has it's various difficulties and triumphs that mankind face...

Again, we are not talking about written for, but written to.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I don’t see the relevance of the Term Christian.
The Beginning of Jesus’ Preaching was to Jews.
The Beginning of Jesus’ Church were Jews.

That's the whole point here. That we are now in a New Testament. The old covenant is gone.

Reactions: Dropship