IS ALL SIN FORGIVEN ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but it also says true saints keep Gods commandments. If you are "dead in your sins", then doing so shouldn't be too difficult a task.

Can someone claim to be "dead in their sins" while committing adultery? In light of verses like this, what does "dead in your sins" mean exactly as you see it?

We are dead in sins and can not save ourselves.
When we trust Christ, then we are to know we are dead to sin (Romans 6:2)and should walk in newness of life being raised with him (Romans 6:4)

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So all your past sins are forgiven, now you are a clean vessel to receive the HG baptism .

All sins means all.
There is nothing in this verse to uphold saying only past sin is forgiven.
We are sealed with the Holy Ghost when we believe the gospel and place faith in Christ and his redemption Ephesians 1:13

Reactions: Renniks

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse you chose, Hebrews 10:26, was written to the remnant of Israel (as is the whole book) and speaks of there being no sacrifice for willful sin as seen in Numbers 15:30-31.
In Hebrews 10:26, to "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting the Lord deliberately, which would be a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows continuous, deliberate action. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

This verse declares we have forgiveness for ALL sin, not as some say, only for sins we confess, and repent of.

Would that part of that verse signifying us to be dead in our sins suggests no longer living in them for how we have been forgiven our trespasses?

Doesn't walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son is how His blood cleanses us from all sins?

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1 John 2:1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

And if we do sin, we can confess our sins and Jesus is faithful to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are conflating 4 different ideas.
1] the elect believers do not commit the unpardonable sin
2]no one falls from grace, that is to not understand Gal5
3]the elect have the Fathers mark on their head rev.14
4] the elect are given grace before the world was,2 tim1:9
There is no conflation here, simply an attempt at a comprehensive refutation of your statement.
You sound too Reformed.
I can't subscribe to your 4th point and all its implications, which also includes your first 3 points.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, I see 1 John 1:9 being written to the remnant of Israel and the confession of sin is corporate, for the nation under covenant as seen in Leviticus 26:40-42
Interesting, ...but, I can't see John speaking at a corporate level at that point of history, i.e. dispensation of grace to all nations.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
James 5:16, as well as the whole book, is written to the remnant of Israel. This verse is directed to the remnant of Israel in regard to confessing sin as seen in Matthew 18:15-17. Jesus was teaching Israel about the kingdom of heaven in Matthew 18. The kingdom of heaven is the kingdom on earth promised Israel.
Sorry Doug, I know how you feel about there being such a demarcation between the Books of the NT, and to the specific group that they were addressing. I don't hold to that on such a doctrinal level. I believe that any principles that were taught in the OT, or by Jesus, were shadows that were to be fully revealed and expanded, in both meaning and to whom it pertains, in the NT.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All sins means all.
There is nothing in this verse to uphold saying only past sin is forgiven.
We are sealed with the Holy Ghost when we believe the gospel and place faith in Christ and his redemption Ephesians 1:13
Well your past sins has to be forgiven to have the seal of God placed upon you.
That's common sense
You will not receive the HG without repentance of your past sins.

Your future sins will depend on the mercy of God.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, anyone can fall from grace if they commit the unforgivable sin, or have the mark of the beast on their forehead, regardless of any previous confession that they may have made in the past.

The unforgivable sin that the Holy Spirit will only convict of is unbelief since it is unbelief as in a sinner that never had believed in Him to receive that foundation and that seal of adoption, is why they go to hell and the lake of fire as the Holy Spirit not being in them may be how they are condemned.

Otherwise what Jesus said here in John 6:39 cannot be true nor Ephesians 4:30 nor 1 John 1:9 for the saved believers.

Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

From Strong's Concordance on the Greek words "ou me" from which the English word "not" was translated from; "i.e. ou - ou 3756 and mh - me 3361; a double negative strengthening the denial; not at all:--any more, at all, by any (no) means, neither, never, no (at all), in no case (wise), nor ever, not (at all, in any wise). Compare mh ouk - me ouk 3378."

It is a double negative as in there is no case whatsoever for a believer to have his or her name blot out of the Book of Life.

No one is perpetually saved from birth (if that was what you meant?).

Everyone is saved from the born again of the Spirit though, but whether or not how they run that race aka what they built on that foundation will be judged as to whether or not they are received as vessels unto honor in His House of the firstfruits of the resurrection when the Bridegroom comes or resurrected later on after the great tribulation as that vessels unto dishonor in His House is the question of the times we are living in for each believer to ask Jesus about at that throne of grace for help to be ready & willing to go or else.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are conflating 4 different ideas.
1] the elect believers do not commit the unpardonable sin

Unbelief as in never having believed in Jesus Christ and that God rose Him from the dead is the only unpardonable sin that sends people to hell and the lake of fire. All other sins are noted with that sin, but that sin of unbelief sends them there.

2]no one falls from grace, that is to not understand Gal5

That is only contingent when a believer does not go astray by placing themselves under the works of the law where such works voids faith or they sow to the works of the flesh in reaping corruption since we are not to use grace to live in sin as God forbids. Galatians 5:1-5

That foundation is still there as that seal of adoption is, for why that grace and that salvation remains, but what is on that foundation will be judged.

Everyone is saved from the born again of the Spirit though, but whether or not how they run that race aka what they built on that foundation will be judged as to whether or not they are received as vessels unto honor in His House of the firstfruits of the resurrection when the Bridegroom comes or resurrected later on after the great tribulation as that vessels unto dishonor in His House is the question of the times we are living in for each believer to ask Jesus about at that throne of grace for help to be ready & willing to go or else.

3]the elect have the Fathers mark on their head rev.14

Which is why Jesus is faithful in keeping the souls of His unrepentant saints left behind along with new believers that suffer the coming fire on the earth and the coming great tribulation with the mark of the beast system.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. KJV for the actual meaning in His words.

4] the elect are given grace before the world was,2 tim1:9

Grace to be saved by Him by faith in Jesus Christ but not grace to sow to the works of the flesh, "heresy" is one of them, for how they will be judged.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The unforgivable sin that the Holy Spirit will only convict of is unbelief since it is unbelief as in a sinner that never had believed in Him to receive that foundation and that seal of adoption, is why they go to hell and the lake of fire as the Holy Spirit not being in them may be how they are condemned.
Otherwise what Jesus said here in John 6:39 cannot be true nor Ephesians 4:30 nor 1 John 1:9 for the saved believers.
Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

From Strong's Concordance on the Greek words "ou me" from which the English word "not" was translated from; "i.e. ou - ou 3756 and mh - me 3361; a double negative strengthening the denial; not at all:--any more, at all, by any (no) means, neither, never, no (at all), in no case (wise), nor ever, not (at all, in any wise). Compare mh ouk - me ouk 3378."

It is a double negative as in there is no case whatsoever for a believer to have his or her name blot out of the Book of Life.

Your last paragraph has almost no punctuation, that was a difficult read (I couldn't do it)?

The unforgivable sin is not disbelief, it is a sentiment that will disqualify you from ever having the option to repent, while on this earth.

Yes, only on your death bed, or unless Christ returns first, will we have the option to Salvation or Condemnation, irrespective of one's prior convictions. So, I'm not sure where your contention lies?

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unbelief as in never having believed in Jesus Christ and that God rose Him from the dead is the only unpardonable sin that sends people to hell and the lake of fire. All other sins are noted with that sin, but that sin of unbelief sends them there

You seem to be ignoring the context of the verses which speak about the unforgivable sin. Where do you get "unbelief" from what Jesus tells the pharisees who account his works as those of beelzebub?

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be ignoring the context of the verses which speak about the unforgivable sin. Where do you get "unbelief" from what Jesus tells the pharisees who account his works as those of beelzebub?

Exactly, it wasn't the lack of belief in the miracles themselves that was the problem, it was who they gave credit to for his miracles that makes it unpardonable.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can fall away by false belief. If you could accidentally sin enough to lose salvation, we all would be doomed.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, anyone can fall from grace if they commit the unforgivable sin, or have the mark of the beast on their forehead, regardless of any previous confession that they may have made in the past. No one is perpetually saved from birth (if that was what you meant?).
Once again you have shown that you do not really understand what salvation is all about. Obviously no one is saved from birth, but those who are truly saved are eternally secure IN CHRIST.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no conflation here, simply an attempt at a comprehensive refutation of your statement.
You sound too Reformed.
I can't subscribe to your 4th point and all its implications, which also includes your first 3 points.
What does 2 tim:1:9 teach you?
9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

I just posted the verse as written.
We should be as Reformed as scripture,dont you agree?

Last edited:
Reactions: Preacher4Truth

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Once again you have shown that you do not really understand what salvation is all about. Obviously no one is saved from birth, but those who are truly saved are eternally secure IN CHRIST.
Sorry Enoch111, I believe that i do have a rather sound understanding of salvation.
I can understand, in an isolated sense, where some do extrapolate the principle of 'once saved always saved', but I don't believe such a conviction is derived from a comprehensive view of Scripture, or from wisdom itself.
For the sake of brevity, i won't go through the proof-text that, in my opinion, undermine OSAS (you're too familiar already), but as far as understanding Salvation goes...
If salvation comes through hearing the Word of God, and hearing implies comprehension, for one cannot be convicted of something that they don't understand, then, the level of one's conviction is commensurate to their understanding.
And since, one's understanding is contingent upon, first of all, the competency of the one who preached the Word to them, and then to their own maturity and wisdom, we expect that in the same manner that they accepted the Word, they can renounce it.
That is, if someone comes along with more intellect, eloquence and confidence preaching either another, 'gospel', atheism, buddhism, islam, etc... then what is stopping the once converted, to re-assessing his initial conviction, if reasoning was the main grounds that convinced him towards Christianity in the first place?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
And since, one's understanding is contingent upon, first of all, the competency of the one who preached the Word to them, and then to their own maturity and wisdom, we expect that in the same manner that they accepted the Word, they can renounce it.
Yes, DNB. This is not just speculation but observation. Apostasy is the falling away from a previously maintained position. God is able to keep us from falling away, but only does so if it is the desire of our heart to remain faithful to Him.

Jud 1:24-25

(24) Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
(25) To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Reactions: DNB

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Timothy 1:9 is crystal clear in its revelation. Good passage choice. No offence but you need to rethink this @DNB.
Well, in regard to 2 Timothy 1:9, i would simply say that it is the principle of grace that he is referring to, that was granted from eternity. Not the Elect. Now, of course, as far as this particular verse goes, I personally think that both comprehensions are viable, mine & yours. And, of course, i trust that this is obviously not the only proof-text that you believe supports a Reformed perspective on Scripture.

The reason that I initially contended your statement about 'All of the sins of the Elect are forgiven', is because the OP was basically about the need for repentance, or, at least the extent of it. I felt that your comment didn't quite address his point (the need to continuously repent, or not), and that it just jumped into a Reformed stance, with all its implications. Thus, if such a principle as the Elect is true (and all its predicates), the whole OP becomes a moot point? Which may very well be the case, but since repentance is a paramount principle in Christian theology, it seemed that you overlooked its necessity in one extent, or another?

Last edited: