Is communion symbolic or literal?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both.

Symbolism is what men DO.

Eat Jesus' Bread. Drink Jesus' Wine.
As Jesus SAID; are you Willing.
Thus a man has to decide, IF He is Willing, because IF the man IS Willing;
Good and Bad consequences will befall the man.

Literal is what IS.

Eat Jesus' Body. Drink Jesus' Blood.

Jesus IS the Word of God.
Eat it, consume it within you, that it be in you forever. <--- Good consequence

Jesus BLOOD IS LIFE.
Drink it, consume it within you, that it be in you forever. <----- Good consequence

Men will Hate you. <---- Bad consequence
Men will Belittle you. <---Bad consequence
Men will Kill you. <----- Bad consequence

Forever you will be with the Lord and He with you. <---- Good consequence.
He will Comfort you, in times of bad consequences.

God Bless,
Taken

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If "literal" means that the physical object (bread/wine) is God, then it is not "literal".
It is symbolic (Spiritual food and drink).
This is one of the teachings the Catholic Church/Orthodox Church use to continue to divide the Christian Church.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If "literal" means that the physical object (bread/wine) is God, then it is not "literal".
This is one of the teachings the Catholic Church/Orthodox Church use to continue to divide the Christian Church.

The bread, the wine, is not spiritual.
They are natural things, used in "remembrance" of Christ Jesus.,,,as He said;
DO THIS, in remembrance of me.

The Word of God is Spiritual.
The Blood of Jesus is Spiritual.

Men have to be "reminded", because they are easily distracted, forgetful, lose sight of what IS, become lost....

Men rely greater on Sight, over what is Heard.

Thus religious teachers, have umpteen "VISUAL" things to Remind Men of the Lord.

If you recall, in the beginning, the Word of God was given men BY HEARING....and men begged to SEE. God called them stiffnecked people, then promised He would reveal something for them to SEE (since hearing only, was not satisfactory to them.)

Hearing only, is still not satisfactory to many men.....they want to SEE something....
A Cross, a Statue, a Cup, an Alter, blah, blah...

It's a weakness of men....and other men indulge their weaknesses.

God Bless,
Taken

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bread, the wine, is not spiritual.
They are natural things, used in "remembrance" of Christ Jesus.,,,as He said;
DO THIS, in remembrance of me.

The Word of God is Spiritual.
The Blood of Jesus is Spiritual.

Men have to be "reminded", because they are easily distracted, forgetful, lose sight of what IS, become lost....

Men rely greater on Sight, over what is Heard.

Thus religious teachers, have umpteen "VISUAL" things to Remind Men of the Lord.

If you recall, in the beginning, the Word of God was given men BY HEARING....and men begged to SEE. God called them stiffnecked people, then promised He would reveal something for them to SEE (since hearing only, was not satisfactory to them.)

Hearing only, is still not satisfactory to many men.....they want to SEE something....
A Cross, a Statue, a Cup, an Alter, blah, blah...

It's a weakness of men....and other men indulge their weaknesses.

God Bless,
Taken

You said: "The bread, the wine, is not spiritual."

Wouldn't these verses, below, show that the bread and wine can be called spiritual food and drink?

From 1Corinthians 10: 1. Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2. all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3. all ate the same spiritual food, 4. and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: "The bread, the wine, is not spiritual."

Wouldn't these verses, below, show that the bread and wine can be called spiritual food and drink?

From 1Corinthians 10: 1. Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2. all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3. all ate the same spiritual food, 4. and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

Recall they ate manna, that only sustained their natural body? And then they died?
They drank water. Those are natural things, that sustained their natural life, for only awhile.

Read the verse you quoted...."spiritual food"..
"Spiritual drink"...= receiving "CHIRST"!!

What the "Spiritual food and drink is; is the Word of God."

When Scripture notifies you, a man has received "spiritual food and drink" OF Christ;
Such persons are saved and born again.

Saved, was often spoken of in the OT.
Born again was never spoken of in the OT.

Yet we can learn OT men were saved and born again....by the clues in Scripture.
One glaring clue, is many OT men being called "saints". Being accounted "righteous".
"Being called beloved, favored, godly, a friend of God". Etc. These are all things that APPLY to a Saved and Born Again man.

God Bless,
Taken

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recall they ate manna, that only sustained their natural body? And then they died?
They drank water. Those are natural things, that sustained their natural life, for only awhile.

Read the verse you quoted...."spiritual food"..
"Spiritual drink"...= receiving "CHIRST"!!

What the "Spiritual food and drink is; is the Word of God."

When Scripture notifies you, a man has received "spiritual food and drink" OF Christ;
Such persons are saved and born again.

Saved, was often spoken of in the OT.
Born again was never spoken of in the OT.

Yet we can learn OT men were saved and born again....by the clues in Scripture.
One glaring clue, is many OT men being called "saints". Being accounted "righteous".
"Being called beloved, favored, godly, a friend of God". Etc. These are all things that APPLY to a Saved and Born Again man.

God Bless,
Taken

Consider me dull, but I still think I am receiving Christ spiritually in the communion bread and wine, by faith.
That's what I mean by spiritual food and drink.
Proclaiming the Lord's death til He comes, Amen.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider me dull, but I still think I am receiving Christ spiritually in the communion bread and wine, by faith.
That's what I mean by spiritual food and drink.
Proclaiming the Lord's death til He comes, Amen.

Hey, no big deal, if that suits you, that's good for you. :)

God Bless,
Taken

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJ:

Communion according to the Catholics is the sharing of the actual body and blood of Jesus, in the form of a wafer and juice.
The priest administering communion of the body to its members also possesses the blood of Christ in the form of a non-alcoholic drink or juice, usually grape juice. He drinks it before the bread/wafer is administered.

The Catholics believe it is a literal communion of Christ. When the priest prays and cries out” this is by body,…. and this is my blood…”, then a process called transubstantiation takes place, which makes the wafer/bread and juice literally into the body of blood of Jesus. They also call this the sacrament of the mass or Holy Eucharist.

You see these early pagans had it all wrong. When they read a portion of scripture regarding ‘eating the body and drink the blood of Jesus,’ that was too hard for many followers to believe, and they fell away, they thought the literal eating of Jesus had to be somehow incorporated into their doctrine. They came up with this pagan ritual.

Some Protestants are not much better.

Many Protestants perform communion as a symbol of Christ’s body by giving out a miniature biscuit.

Now let’s look at the misapplied scripture:

(Joh 6:48) I am the bread of life.
(Joh 6:49) Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
(Joh 6:50) This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
(Joh 6:51) I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
(Joh 6:52) The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
(Joh 6:53) So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
(Joh 6:54) Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
(Joh 6:55) For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
(Joh 6:56) Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
(Joh 6:57) As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me.
(Joh 6:58) This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” (ALL ESV)

Verses 53 – 68 are speaking of totally and completely giving one’s life over to the belief in Jesus Christ. This belief is through one’s faith that brings the spirit of God that Christ’s spirit ‘communicates’ through, and to us, as permanent nourishment within one's heart. As Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in him, so to are we in both. ..(if someone wants me to expand on this part let me know)

His spirit will sustain us to salvation and eternal life. The Catholics believe by performing this sacrament and ritual every week they are in ‘good standing’ with Jesus and its confirmation that they believe in him. You can see how foolhardy this concept is. Are they really using personal faith whereby the spirit of God and thus Christ’s spirit dwells inside of them? Does Christ really know them? You can be the judge.

Bless you

APAK

Reactions: Helen and Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi TT,

The Church is not divided. The Church is One and is the pillar and foundation of truth 1 timothy 3:15

21 Bible verses about One Church

Men let others tickle their ears and twist scripture. Men create heresy, not The Church: 2 Timothy 4:3, 2 Peter 3:16

The Church fights heresy.

To suggest the Catholic an Orthodox Churches are responsible for creating division in The Church is not true. The Catholic/Orthodox teaching was first and has been around for 2,000 years. What came second, The protestant teaching, is what is dividing Christianity.

Nothing symbolic about this statement: Luke 22:19. I don't see the word symbolic in Jesus statement at all. Do you?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJ:

Communion according to the Catholics is the sharing of the actual body and blood of Jesus, in the form of a wafer and juice.
The priest administering communion of the body to its members also possesses the blood of Christ in the form of a non-alcoholic drink or juice, usually grape juice. He drinks it before the bread/wafer is administered.

The Catholics believe it is a literal communion of Christ. When the priest prays and cries out” this is by body,…. and this is my blood…”, then a process called transubstantiation takes place, which makes the wafer/bread and juice literally into the body of blood of Jesus. They also call this the sacrament of the mass or Holy Eucharist.

You see these early pagans had it all wrong. When they read a portion of scripture regarding ‘eating the body and drink the blood of Jesus,’ that was too hard for many followers to believe, and they fell away, they thought the literal eating of Jesus had to be somehow incorporated into their doctrine. They came up with this pagan ritual.

Some Protestants are not much better.

Many Protestants perform communion as a symbol of Christ’s body by giving out a miniature biscuit.

Now let’s look at the misapplied scripture:

(Joh 6:48) I am the bread of life.
(Joh 6:49) Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
(Joh 6:50) This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
(Joh 6:51) I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
(Joh 6:52) The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
(Joh 6:53) So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
(Joh 6:54) Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
(Joh 6:55) For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
(Joh 6:56) Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
(Joh 6:57) As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me.
(Joh 6:58) This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” (ALL ESV)

Verses 53 – 68 are speaking of totally and completely giving one’s life over to the belief in Jesus Christ. This belief is through one’s faith that brings the spirit of God that Christ’s spirit ‘communicates’ through, and to us, as permanent nourishment within one's heart. As Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in him, so to are we in both. ..(if someone wants me to expand on this part let me know)

His spirit will sustain us to salvation and eternal life. The Catholics believe by performing this sacrament and ritual every week they are in ‘good standing’ with Jesus and its confirmation that they believe in him. You can see how foolhardy this concept is. Are they really using personal faith whereby the spirit of God and thus Christ’s spirit dwells inside of them? Does Christ really know them? You can be the judge.

Bless you

APAK
hi apak,

Your statement is not accurate. For Catholics it is not wafer and grape juice. It is BREAD and WINE. Wafer and grape juice is a protestant tradition started in the 1800's.

What you have stated,
"...these early pagans had it all wrong", is completely wrong. You IGNORE the FACT that all early Christian historical writings from the time of the Apostles say that they believed and practiced what Jesus said; This IS my body...!

Please provide any evidence that they did not believe or practice the Real Presence.

I look forward to your evidence
.....Mary

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi apak,

Your statement is not accurate. For Catholics it is not wafer and grape juice. It is BREAD and WINE. Wafer and grape juice is a protestant tradition started in the 1800's.

What you have stated,
"...these early pagans had it all wrong", is completely wrong. You IGNORE the FACT that all early Christian historical writings from the time of the Apostles say that they believed and practiced what Jesus said; This IS my body...!

Please provide any evidence that they did not believe or practice the Real Presence.

I look forward to your evidence
.....Mary

Mary:

Let me entertain the discrepancies you have found with the ‘bread and wine.’ It is really not a big issue for me although it is too you. You might even find it educational.

In a Catholic mass, I’ve never eaten any raised/ leavened bread, ever, or the priest drank actual highly fermented wine, if that is you want meant.

If the priest used actual wine it was more like grape juice with minimal or no fermentation, and with added water. This is completely different from what you get at commercial/retail type bought in stores. In fact, the grapes at one time had to be on the Vitis species.

Now for the wafers: The wafers were made of unleavened bread. They were called the host.

Do you remember the chalice with the thinly cut stacked circles called the host (from Latin…victim that is sacrificed) that the priest dispensed?

The wafer is a Catholic thing so get over it and stop exaggerating, unless something has drastically changed over the last 20 years. I cannot vouch for Eastern Orthodoxy though.

Now I know the Lutheran group do follow a similar approach as the Catholics with the same type and style of unleavened bread, and always a non-alcoholic beverage.

Some Protestants do use leavened bread although not as a circle wafer that I know of, except for the Lutherans. They may have changes over time.

Look, I used to help set up stuff before the service or mass. Were you there with me?
-------------------------------
Now to the real issue of why the Catholics still practice a weekly or cyclical communion ritual.

Why do they recreate the person of Jesus in the flesh and think they are eating his body every Sunday.

They imitate the Passover ceremony and meal of the Old Testament even after Jesus is in heaven and the Kingdom has arrived – about 2000 years ago.

They forget that the Christ fulfilled the Passover ceremony through his death and resurrection. So, the Catholics keep regenerating his death every week, and forget the rest of the story of scripture. He rose to the heavens and sits in power and ‘eats’ and ‘drinks’ of the spirit of God with us, as believers today, in these earthly bodies.

It is a spiritual internal remembrance as part of our belief, not a physical ceremonial one.

The verses in question are these:

(Luk 22:15) And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

(Luk 22:16) For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”

(Luk 22:17) And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves.

(Luk 22:18) For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

(Luk 22:19) And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

(Luk 22:20) And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. (All ESV)

Jesus told his disciples to remember him with a type of Passover until he ascended to the heavens and the Kingdom came in. Catholics and their ancestors continued with the practice as a weekly institution. There is no real Jesus in the wine and bread. It is a pagan ritual.

Let’s review the scripture:
Verse 15
Jesus is telling his disciples that he wished he could partake of the Passover with them, before he went to the cross.
Verses 16-18
Now there are two essential parts of the historical Passover. The blood of a slaughtered lamb that would shield the first-born child from death by the spirit of God. And the overall objective, to gain the Israelites freedom from bondage.

Jesus said he would not partake of the Passover until the Kingdom comes. Jesus was telling his disciples, and they knew all of this already, that he would have to die on the cross and gain the power of God and establish the Kingdom before he could share with them the NEW spiritual Passover meal with them.

This NEW Passover was different. No more lamb sacrifices to free men from sin and bondage, temporarily. Jesus would be the permanent blood sacrifice to free men from sin. He was the Passover, himself. Now his disciples and believers could ‘eat’ (know) him(his spirit) via the spirit of God that would dwell within them. There was never any reference to physical bread and wine meals about eating the literal body of Jesus. The pagans really missed the mark on this one …..

Now in verses 19 and 20, Jesus DID want his disciples to temporarily remember him with the breaking of bread and drinking of wine, before they shared in his spirit (the NEW Passover) within their hearts at Pentecost. It would have lasted say tops 2 months. Jesus wanted them to keep their faith strong and remember that his body would die to make a new spiritual pact with them for salvation and everlasting life.

Mary, I’m not really interested in chasing down when folks went wrong on this communion issue, and misapplied scripture. I want to know why they went wrong. And I know that already.

APAK

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary:

Let me entertain the discrepancies you have found with the ‘bread and wine.’ It is really not a big issue for me although it is too you. You might even find it educational.

In a Catholic mass, I’ve never eaten any raised/ leavened bread, ever, or the priest drank actual highly fermented wine, if that is you want meant.

If the priest used actual wine it was more like grape juice with minimal or no fermentation, and with added water. This is completely different from what you get at commercial/retail type bought in stores. In fact, the grapes at one time had to be on the Vitis species.

Now for the wafers: The wafers were made of unleavened bread. They were called the host.

Do you remember the chalice with the thinly cut stacked circles called the host (from Latin…victim that is sacrificed) that the priest dispensed?

The wafer is a Catholic thing so get over it and stop exaggerating, unless something has drastically changed over the last 20 years. I cannot vouch for Eastern Orthodoxy though.

Now I know the Lutheran group do follow a similar approach as the Catholics with the same type and style of unleavened bread, and always a non-alcoholic beverage.

Some Protestants do use leavened bread although not as a circle wafer that I know of, except for the Lutherans. They may have changes over time.

Look, I used to help set up stuff before the service or mass. Were you there with me?
-------------------------------
Now to the real issue of why the Catholics still practice a weekly or cyclical communion ritual.

Why do they recreate the person of Jesus in the flesh and think they are eating his body every Sunday.

They imitate the Passover ceremony and meal of the Old Testament even after Jesus is in heaven and the Kingdom has arrived – about 2000 years ago.

They forget that the Christ fulfilled the Passover ceremony through his death and resurrection. So, the Catholics keep regenerating his death every week, and forget the rest of the story of scripture. He rose to the heavens and sits in power and ‘eats’ and ‘drinks’ of the spirit of God with us, as believers today, in these earthly bodies.

It is a spiritual internal remembrance as part of our belief, not a physical ceremonial one.

The verses in question are these:

(Luk 22:15) And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

(Luk 22:16) For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”

(Luk 22:17) And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves.

(Luk 22:18) For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

(Luk 22:19) And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

(Luk 22:20) And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. (All ESV)

Jesus told his disciples to remember him with a type of Passover until he ascended to the heavens and the Kingdom came in. Catholics and their ancestors continued with the practice as a weekly institution. There is no real Jesus in the wine and bread. It is a pagan ritual.

Let’s review the scripture:
Verse 15
Jesus is telling his disciples that he wished he could partake of the Passover with them, before he went to the cross.
Verses 16-18
Now there are two essential parts of the historical Passover. The blood of a slaughtered lamb that would shield the first-born child from death by the spirit of God. And the overall objective, to gain the Israelites freedom from bondage.

Jesus said he would not partake of the Passover until the Kingdom comes. Jesus was telling his disciples, and they knew all of this already, that he would have to die on the cross and gain the power of God and establish the Kingdom before he could share with them the NEW spiritual Passover meal with them.

This NEW Passover was different. No more lamb sacrifices to free men from sin and bondage, temporarily. Jesus would be the permanent blood sacrifice to free men from sin. He was the Passover, himself. Now his disciples and believers could ‘eat’ (know) him(his spirit) via the spirit of God that would dwell within them. There was never any reference to physical bread and wine meals about eating the literal body of Jesus. The pagans really missed the mark on this one …..

Now in verses 19 and 20, Jesus DID want his disciples to temporarily remember him with the breaking of bread and drinking of wine, before they shared in his spirit (the NEW Passover) within their hearts at Pentecost. It would have lasted say tops 2 months. Jesus wanted them to keep their faith strong and remember that his body would die to make a new spiritual pact with them for salvation and everlasting life.

Mary, I’m not really interested in chasing down when folks went wrong on this communion issue, and misapplied scripture. I want to know why they went wrong. And I know that already.

APAK
Hi APAK,

If the priest at the church you attended used grape juice and did not use unleavened bread then that priest was in violation of Canon Law: Code of Canon Law - IntraText

Let me be the first to apologize to you on behalf of the priest that violated Church Law. His violation of Church law does not change the facts.

I say again with no hesitation: Your statement is not accurate. For Catholics it is not wafer and grape juice. It is BREAD and WINE. Wafer and grape juice is a protestant tradition started in the 1800's.

You contradicted yourself when you said "In a Catholic mass, I’ve never eaten any raised/ leavened bread,.." and then several sentences later you said, "The wafers were made of unleavened bread." Could you clarify your contradictory statement?

I will concede that the word "wafer" does in fact fit the definition for the unleavened bread that is served at a Catholic mass. You were right about that. When you used the word wafer I assumed you meant like a cracker (saltine/kebler) which is what some protestant churches use today. I should not have assumed that. I apologize.

I completely understand your lack of desire to learn your Christian history and 'not really being interested in chasing down when folks went wrong on this communion issue, and misapplied scripture'. Because if you were interested you would learn that it pretty much happened 500 years ago when Christianity became greatly divided. What you practice is a protestant tradition and not a 2,000 year Christian belief. To be deep in Christian history is to cease to be Protestant!

I asked you for your evidence to support your opinion the "early pagans had it all wrong" . You gave none. :(

I will give you my evidence that you are wrong: Fathers of the Church on the Eucharist

Your welcome! :)

Historical Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a token of "remembrance" and therefore, symbolic...just as Jesus is not really a baby sheep, or an actual loaf of bread, nor the sun in the sky (the light of the world).

"All things come in parables."

Make sense?

Reactions: amadeus

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi APAK,

If the priest at the church you attended used grape juice and did not use unleavened bread then that priest was in violation of Canon Law: Code of Canon Law - IntraText

Let me be the first to apologize to you on behalf of the priest that violated Church Law. His violation of Church law does not change the facts.

I say again with no hesitation: Your statement is not accurate. For Catholics it is not wafer and grape juice. It is BREAD and WINE. Wafer and grape juice is a protestant tradition started in the 1800's.

You contradicted yourself when you said "In a Catholic mass, I’ve never eaten any raised/ leavened bread,.." and then several sentences later you said, "The wafers were made of unleavened bread." Could you clarify your contradictory statement?

I will concede that the word "wafer" does in fact fit the definition for the unleavened bread that is served at a Catholic mass. You were right about that. When you used the word wafer I assumed you meant like a cracker (saltine/kebler) which is what some protestant churches use today. I should not have assumed that. I apologize.

I completely understand your lack of desire to learn your Christian history and 'not really being interested in chasing down when folks went wrong on this communion issue, and misapplied scripture'. Because if you were interested you would learn that it pretty much happened 500 years ago when Christianity became greatly divided. What you practice is a protestant tradition and not a 2,000 year Christian belief. To be deep in Christian history is to cease to be Protestant!

I asked you for your evidence to support your opinion the "early pagans had it all wrong" . You gave none. :(

I will give you my evidence that you are wrong: Fathers of the Church on the Eucharist

Your welcome! :)

Historical Mary

Mary: I’m glad we have squared away the bread, wine and grapes issue that would break Canonized law.

I noticed you call yourself ‘Historical’ Mary, and you never usually comment on scripture, even mine. Are they related?

Is this because you don’t do scripture study and have left all that up to the 'experts,' those historical religious folks that have sorted it all out for you?

I’m serious on this point.

Do you know what the Passover of the Lord means? Hint: it is the reason you should not do weekly communion that celebrates a pagan ritual of actually believing you are eating human flesh and drinking human blood.

Why does the priest only get to drink Christ's blood and not the lay folks (except of a special occasion)?

Are they not worthy as the priest is the only one considered truly 'anointed' by God?

Bless you,

APAK

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The bread and wine are symbols we take to represent His body and His blood as remembrance for what He did for us upon the cross.

But that's not all what Communion is about.

That is also a time when we are to inspect ourselves, and literally... commune with Him in prayer, working out our salvation with Him. Our first coming to Christ Jesus and being baptism represents remission of our sins that are past (Romans 3:25). For our sins we may commit after that, we are to repent and ask Jesus forgiveness, like Apostle John showed in 1 John 1. That is especially what Communion with Jesus is about.

We do not have to wait to going to a Church to take holy Communion. We can do it in our homes also, and Apostle Paul said as oft as we feel we need it. (I'm guilty, I should do it more, probably a lot of catching up to do.)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary: I’m glad we have squared away the bread, wine and grapes issue that would break Canonized law.

I noticed you call yourself ‘Historical’ Mary, and you never usually comment on scripture, even mine. Are they related?

Is this because you don’t do scripture study and have left all that up to the 'experts,' those historical religious folks that have sorted it all out for you?

I’m serious on this point.

Do you know what the Passover of the Lord means? Hint: it is the reason you should not do weekly communion that celebrates a pagan ritual of actually believing you are eating human flesh and drinking human blood.

Why does the priest only get to drink Christ's blood and not the lay folks (except of a special occasion)?

Are they not worthy as the priest is the only one considered truly 'anointed' by God?

Bless you,

APAK
Hi Apak,

Once again, you are wrong. The "lay folk"do get to drink Christ's blood every Sunday. This is not practiced at all Catholic Churches (it is practiced at the one I attend) and I believe it is up to individual priest of that Church. The reason the drinking of the wine is not needed is because the bread (Eucharist) contains all the elements of Christ body.

At the Last Supper Jesus replaced the Jewish practice of eating lamb at the Passover to eating Him. He became the sacrificial lamb.

Your theory that we "should not do weekly communion" is not based on scripture. Scripture actually says they met DAILY to break bread and Jesus gave us the prayer that included the words "give us this day our DAILY bread". One of the first things Jesus did after the resurrection was break bread with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus and their eyes were opened when He did this. Your eyes apak are still closed:(.

The Catholic Church has DAILY mass wherever possible which is what the NT Christians practiced also. Every day in many places around the world Catholics are "doing this in remembrance" of Him. Can your church make that claim Apak????

Here is my comment on the scripture you quoted: I agree with the scripture you quoted. I agree with Jesus (This IS my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me). I believe it is his body and I do it in remembrance of him. .....Just like he said to do.

Are you ever going to give your evidence to support your opinion that the "early pagans had it all wrong"? Or are we going to just stick with your opinions and no facts?

Thank you for your blessing....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bless you,

APAK
Did we square it away? I told you that your statement was not accurate. Are you agreeing with me??? :)

It would be lovely if you answered my questions instead of acting like they were never asked. That is how we have conversations: You contradicted yourself when you said "In a Catholic mass, I’ve never eaten any raised/ leavened bread,.." and then several sentences later you said, "The wafers were made of unleavened bread." Could you clarify your contradictory statement?

Curious Mary