Is Debating Good For Our Soul? (part 1)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever had God tell you something you really didn’t want to hear? As I was sitting in church last Sunday listening to the sermon, the pastor mentioned a verse in Gal. 5. I turned there and was reading the verses before and after to get the context and I was struck by one word that seemed to leap out at me. It’s a word I’ve read a hundred times but I never really knew or cared what it meant. It was the word “variance”. Here is the context:

Gal. 5:19-21 – “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations,(envy w/ malice) wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings (jealousy), murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (words in parenthesis throughout the study are mine)

The other words in bold are synonyms for variance so I figure since God used four words to describe generally the same thing, it’s a topic he feels very strongly about. I’ve also come to the realization that I’m not looking forward to what God has to say when Matt. 12:36 becomes a reality: Matt. 12:36 – “But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak (or type), they shall give an account thereof in the day of judgement.”

I looked it up in the Strong’s and here is what it said:

Variance – Strong’s G2054 – quarreling, wrangling, contention, DEBATES, strife.

I was shocked because I really enjoy debating and energetic discussions on various issues especially end-times. These discussions in this forum are really the only Christian fellowship I get. I’ll list some verses on the other synonyms in the Strong’s to try and create a continuation of thought. I’ll embolden the sections that deal with the topic at hand.

Quarrel – Col. 3:13 – “Forbearing (put up with, endure) one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.”

Wrangling – Webster’s – to quarrel noisily or angrily, to achieve by argument.

Contention – Pr. 13:10 – “ Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.”

Pr. 18:6 – “A fool's lips (fingers) enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes (stripes)”.

Pr. 22:10 – “ Cast out the scorner (derision, mockery), and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.”

Debate – Rom. 1:29 – “ Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,”

Strife (causing fractions or controversy) – Phil. 2:3 – “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.”

1 Co. 3:3 – “For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions (disunion, dissension), are ye not carnal, and walk as men?”

1 Tim. 6:4 – “He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting (harping upon) about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings,(speaking evil of) evil surmisings (suspicions).”

James 3:14, 16 – “ But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work

2 Tim. 2:23 – “ But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.”

The reason I’m sharing all this is because I’ve seen all of these things, at one time or another, committed by several of the members of this forum and I am not excluding myself! It’s not the forum’s fault, the fault lies within all of us. One of the mistakes I have made, using a phrase I heard to justify some of these things stems from this verse” Pr. 27:17 – “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance (let’s them shine) of his friend.” The phrase I’ve used to justify it was, “when iron sharpens iron, sparks fly.” I ignored what the latter part of that verse meant and I don’t think I’m alone. The next part in blue is a paraphrased study from something I found on the internet.

When a knife is dull, it still continues to be a knife, but it is less effective, less useful in service. The bible encourages us to spend more time together, exhorting, encouraging, praying, admonishing, sharing God’s Word, praying over God’s Word and the needs of our local church. When we do that, we become sharper and more effective in the ministry that the Lord has assigned to each of us. Too often what passes as fellowship in the modern church is centered on food and fun, not on sharpening one another with the Word of God. In far too many instances, the only knives being sharpened are the ones used at potlucks.

Finally, a knife that has been sharpened will also shine more because all the dullness has been rubbed off its surface. Likewise, we will shine better for our Lord if we do the things mentioned above consistently, all of which will unite us in harmony. “How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity” (Psalm 133:1). Therefore, as the author to the Hebrews says, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching” (Hebrews 10:24–25). Far too often preachers say the bold part to encourage church attendance but omit the latter part of this verse, which, imo, is the most important part of this verse. Here’s another one:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I really enjoy debating and energetic discussions
You have already answered this in that debate, dicussion and correction are things that friends do.
It is the pointless debates, the seeking to cause decension and strife that we are to avoid.

Reactions: Willie T

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is the pointless debates, the seeking to cause decension and strife that we are to avoid.
There comes a point when you must simply state your case from Scripture and move on. Don't expect anyone to admit they are wrong or will change their views.