What do the words mean to you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about words and what they mean to me: two on my mind lately is “hate” and “foreknowledge”.

You will be hated of all nations for My Name Sake.
I’ve always heard this as hated because of a higher status given…this is why they hate you..as in because you are better…because you are holy …because you bear My name …this is why they hate you. Out of jealousy or envy they hate you for My namesake. But what if “you will be hated of all nations For My namesake” is for His seed to “love those who hate then. To Bless those who curse them. To Do good to those who hate them.” Then it’s not a sitting around pouting and a roll of the eyes saying “they hate us because we are children of God” but instead “we love then. We do good to their doing wrong. We bless even though they curse us because we are the children of God (His blessed seed) and (born, awakened, called) to be as Christ who loved us while we were yet sinners for His namesake.” Consider “hated of all nations” for His namesake that Mercy and Grace and forgiveness may flourish before all the nations. See…the focus is on the hatred of the nations towards His seed called by His name…when should the focus be instead on His love and Blessing before all the nations from and out of His (blessed) seed?

Another word I’ve been thinking about is “foreknowledge” …the elect by and through the “foreknowledge” of Christ. Paul speaks of sitting with a brother whom is weak and in that passage Paul says “not everyone has this knowledge” and “if I use this knowledge to destroy one who is weak, I sin against Christ.” I’m not disputing God’s foreknowledge because He said He tells what happens before it happens. All the Old Testament a “foreknowledge” of Christ. But does it end there? Have we ever considered according to the “foreknowledge” of God as an active “foreknowledge” given so that they will know or have “foreknowledge”?

Consider…we claim to have “foreknowledge” when we speak of to be resurrected in Jesus Christ. Is this the “foreknowledge” of God in and through Christ? If we have Hope which is not yet seen but is yet hoped for. Is this Hope “foreknowledge” of God as is also “Faith” the “foreknowledge” of God by and through Christ…as is with an unspeakable joy or peace not as the world gives unto you…but that which can’t be taken away …is also “a foreknowledge” of God. Same as “in my Fathers house is room” and “if it is not true I would have told you” …foreknowledge? Is it the “foreknowledge” given of God that comforts? Having a “foreknowledge” of …seeing God is good and full of grace and mercy and truth. Paul spoke of not everyone has this “foreknowledge” and are weak(in him), but not to use this “foreknowledge” as a weapon against the weak. This has made me reconsider what is “foreknowledge” and if God has shared or given His “foreknowledge” “through Christ” that they may be comforted … out of that “foreknowledge” it’s seeing or hearing of hope, Faith, love, mercy, reconciliation, restoration, forgiveness, resurrection Life…in having “foreknowledge” you ought not those who have strength support the weak (in Him) who are without “foreknowledge”? The point is what do we do with the foreknowledge of God in and by Christ?

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to the title:

There is power in the words we speak, for from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, Like 6:46; Matthew 12:34 -40

Proverbs 18:21
21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

James 3:
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a a little fire kindeleth!
6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about words and what they mean to me: two on my mind lately is “hate” and “foreknowledge”.

You will be hated of all nations for My Name Sake.
I’ve always heard this as hated because of a higher status given…this is why they hate you..as in because you are better…because you are holy …because you bear My name …this is why they hate you. Out of jealousy or envy they hate you for My namesake. But what if “you will be hated of all nations For My namesake” is for His seed to “love those who hate then. To Bless those who curse them. To Do good to those who hate them.” Then it’s not a sitting around pouting and a roll of the eyes saying “they hate us because we are children of God” but instead “we love then. We do good to their doing wrong. We bless even though they curse us because we are the children of God (His blessed seed) and (born, awakened, called) to be as Christ who loved us while we were yet sinners for His namesake.” Consider “hated of all nations” for His namesake that Mercy and Grace and forgiveness may flourish before all the nations. See…the focus is on the hatred of the nations towards His seed called by His name…when should the focus be instead on His love and Blessing before all the nations from and out of His (blessed) seed?
People can tend to hate others when they do not go their way of slandering, or how they may go about conducting their own ways which they go around here in the earthly atmosphere, and it comes with being a follower of Christ that one will be looked at offishly; unless it's another believer.

Hate also reminds me of being rightfully angry, people can be rightfully angry and desire justice. However their is the other side where the hatred could be wrong because it's 'of self interest' "I did not get my way because of so in and so or whatever the circumstance may be.

Hate also reminds me of simply hating another person, based on race, color, religion, sexuality, and what not, I do not believe that type of hatred is good, and it is earthly.
Another word I’ve been thinking about is “foreknowledge” …the elect by and through the “foreknowledge” of Christ. Paul speaks of sitting with a brother whom is weak and in that passage Paul says “not everyone has this knowledge” and “if I use this knowledge to destroy one who is weak, I sin against Christ.” I’m not disputing God’s foreknowledge because He said He tells what happens before it happens. All the Old Testament a “foreknowledge” of Christ. But does it end there? Have we ever considered according to the “foreknowledge” of God as an active “foreknowledge” given so that they will know or have “foreknowledge”?

Consider…we claim to have “foreknowledge” when we speak of to be resurrected in Jesus Christ. Is this the “foreknowledge” of God in and through Christ? If we have Hope which is not yet seen but is yet hoped for. Is this Hope “foreknowledge” of God as is also “Faith” the “foreknowledge” of God by and through Christ…as is with an unspeakable joy or peace not as the world gives unto you…but that which can’t be taken away …is also “a foreknowledge” of God. Same as “in my Fathers house is room” and “if it is not true I would have told you” …foreknowledge? Is it the “foreknowledge” given of God that comforts? Having a “foreknowledge” of …seeing God is good and full of grace and mercy and truth. Paul spoke of not everyone has this “foreknowledge” and are weak(in him), but not to use this “foreknowledge” as a weapon against the weak. This has made me reconsider what is “foreknowledge” and if God has shared or given His “foreknowledge” “through Christ” that they may be comforted … out of that “foreknowledge” it’s seeing or hearing of hope, Faith, love, mercy, reconciliation, restoration, forgiveness, resurrection Life…in having “foreknowledge” you ought not those who have strength support the weak (in Him) who are without “foreknowledge”? The point is what do we do with the foreknowledge of God in and by Christ?
I dont know about foreknowledge, when I think about it, it reminds me of Yahava, and how by his grace and spirit, one can discern in their life between something that can harm them, and something that is beneficial to them.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont know about foreknowledge, when I think about it, it reminds me of Yahava, and how by his grace and spirit, one can discern in their life between something that can harm them, and something that is beneficial to them.
I can see what you pointed out as foreknowledge. By His grace and spirit one can discern between harm and beneficial.

I can’t explain why the word “foreknowledge” has become important to me but I’ll try. The way I’ve always heard the word as referring to the Old Testament and historically. Looking back. You and I discussed this. My husband also views a lot as historical. And I’m not saying that is wrong. I agree. But my mind thinks on how is “the foreknowledge of God the Father” applied today. You said: By His Grace and Spirit one can discern harm and beneficial. (This is active movement yes?) “By His Grace and Spirit” from this “foreknowledge of His Grace and Spirit” there is “discerning power” in the difference between “harm” and “beneficial”. Which makes me think of Paul saying “all things are lawful but not all things edify”

The same way you brought up By His Grace and Spirit there is discerning between harm and beneficial …this active voice to me explains how
1 Peter 1:2 becomes active voice “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through (Grace and His Spirit) sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

This makes me think of having foreknowledge: and is active voice:
1 Peter 1:8-12 Whom having not seen, you love; in whom, though now you see him not, yet believing, you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

This also makes me think of foreknowledge:
9] Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. [10] Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: [11] Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. [12] Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

I tired my best to share how to me as “by grace and His Spirit is discernment between harm and beneficial” (yet not everyone has this foreknowledge?) And the same active voice is “elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father” “Whom having not seen, you love; in whom, though now you see him not, yet believing, you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory” …Paul gives an example of this “foreknowledge of God the Father” towards the Corinthians in not seeing Christ in them, yet even though not seeing Him in them, Paul loves Christ formed in them, though now seeing him not yet believing, rejoicing with joy unspeakable and full of glory. “This I pray, even for your perfecting” which circles back to where Paul spoke is all things are lawful but not all things edify. There again…the words. Is Paul speaking of not all things edify him or not all things edify them? I get that all sounds to complicated…when really it’s not. Every Christian claims to have foreknowledge of God the Father …a big one is this drive to warn sinners of their going to hell. Matthew you speak of another “foreknowledge” of hell. And I agree with you. But see…why is everyone’s “foreknowledge” different in what they claim to have foreknowledge of by the foreknowledge of God the Father? Important is active foreknowledge I think that edifies “according to the foreknowledge of God the Father” brought to you by the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see what you pointed out as foreknowledge. By His grace and spirit one can discern between harm and beneficial.

I can’t explain why the word “foreknowledge” has become important to me but I’ll try. The way I’ve always heard the word as referring to the Old Testament and historically. Looking back. You and I discussed this. My husband also views a lot as historical. And I’m not saying that is wrong. I agree. But my mind thinks on how is “the foreknowledge of God the Father” applied today. You said: By His Grace and Spirit one can discern harm and beneficial. (This is active movement yes?) “By His Grace and Spirit” from this “foreknowledge of His Grace and Spirit” there is “discerning power” in the difference between “harm” and “beneficial”. Which makes me think of Paul saying “all things are lawful but not all things edify”

The same way you brought up By His Grace and Spirit there is discerning between harm and beneficial …this active voice to me explains how
1 Peter 1:2 becomes active voice “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through (Grace and His Spirit) sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

This makes me think of having foreknowledge: and is active voice:
1 Peter 1:8-12 Whom having not seen, you love; in whom, though now you see him not, yet believing, you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

This also makes me think of foreknowledge:
9] Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. [10] Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: [11] Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. [12] Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

I tired my best to share how to me as “by grace and His Spirit is discernment between harm and beneficial” (yet not everyone has this foreknowledge?) And the same active voice is “elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father” “Whom having not seen, you love; in whom, though now you see him not, yet believing, you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory” …Paul gives an example of this “foreknowledge of God the Father” towards the Corinthians in not seeing Christ in them, yet even though not seeing Him in them, Paul loves Christ formed in them, though now seeing him not yet believing, rejoicing with joy unspeakable and full of glory. “This I pray, even for your perfecting” which circles back to where Paul spoke is all things are lawful but not all things edify. There again…the words. Is Paul speaking of not all things edify him or not all things edify them? I get that all sounds to complicated…when really it’s not. Every Christian claims to have foreknowledge of God the Father …a big one is this drive to warn sinners of their going to hell. Matthew you speak of another “foreknowledge” of hell. And I agree with you. But see…why is everyone’s “foreknowledge” different in what they claim to have foreknowledge of by the foreknowledge of God the Father? Important is active foreknowledge I think that edifies “according to the foreknowledge of God the Father” brought to you by the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
Thinking about you friend, as I have things available to me by hand that you may not, and was wondering what you may think of foreknowledge if you seen what it is in greek. source : vines complete expository dictionary of old and new testament words.

image.jpg

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinking about you friend, as I have things available to me by hand that you may not, and was wondering what you may think of foreknowledge if you seen what it is in greek. source : vines complete expository dictionary of old and new testament words.

View attachment 37661
What stands out to me is “prognosis”. That word is familiar. How doctors can sometimes tell the prognosis beforehand. Meaning the outcome? Sometimes it’s a poor prognosis. Or a grim prognosis.

Pertaining to God to me it’s receiving a “foreknowledge” of a better prognosis. The hard part is believing word of a better prognosis. I like the word prognosis in considering Paul to the Corinthians how he keeps telling them he sees or trust in a better prognosis…even though they are still on the fence between doing what is right or doing what is wrong. He is praying for their better prognosis.

Maybe that isn’t what you were looking for from the Greek definition of the word “foreknowledge” …now it does make me think of
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
But I do also see the Spirit of Christ speaking to the Corinthians of a foreknowledge towards them for their perfecting of plans for welfare and not for evil, to give them a future and a Hope. That foreknowledge of and by the Spirit of Christ.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What stands out to me is “prognosis”. That word is familiar. How doctors can sometimes tell the prognosis beforehand. Meaning the outcome? Sometimes it’s a poor prognosis. Or a grime prognosis.

Pertaining to God to me it’s receiving a “foreknowledge” of a better prognosis. The hard part is believing word of a better prognosis. I like the word prognosis in considering Paul to the Corinthians how he keeps telling them he sees or trust in a better prognosis…even though they are still on the fence between doing what is right or doing what is wrong. He is praying for their better prognosis.

Maybe that isn’t what you were looking for from the Greek definition of the word “foreknowledge” …now it does make me think of
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
But I do also see the Spirit of Christ speaking to the Corinthians of a foreknowledge towards them for their perfecting of plans for welfare and not for evil, to give them a future and a Hope. That foreknowledge of and by the Spirit of Christ.
Thank you for your response, something you said about Paul reminds me of what his prayer was for the people that he so loved, and did all he could to encourage.

Philippians 1:9-11 New Living Translation (NLT)I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ's return.

Jeremiah 29:11, perhaps there is some gleanings in that scripture which there is hope when it comes to continuing to look towards Yahava, or the LORD. Though, while there may be a future and a hope, that doesn't mean that there would not be some type of suffering involved us to deny ourselves, and allow the working of God by the spirit to come through as one goes about this life. Being a person who is devoted to Yeshua, is a very difficult life, considering it's a strait, narrow, hard to get through path.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus